• WAYLTL - April 2023

From Gerard@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 31 15:31:24 2023
    Bach recordings by Isabelle Faust, a harmonia mundi box with 8 cds and 1 dvd. Actually with 10 cds because 2 of them are double, maybe to fill the too large box better.
    All has been released before and AFAIK all components are still easily available.

The pachaging is utterly clumsy (as we have seen so often with harmonia mundi). The box contains 4 (5 actually) "twofers" in double envelops. One needs 3 hands to unpack a disk, because of the risk of the other disk falling on the floor.

CD 1 and 2: 6 violin concertos and 2 sinfonia's, trios, and orchestral suite 2 (complete) with violin in stead of flute.
    CD 3 and 4: sonatas and partitas for violin solo.
    CD 5 and 6 sonatas for cembalo and violin, with Kristian Bezuidenhout on harpsichord.
    CD 7 and 8 the Brandenburg concertos complete, with the Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin (AAMB).

The violin concertos set is worth a real recommendation, specially because of the "extra" violin concerto-reconstructions of BWV 1052 and 1056 and including BWV 1060 for oboe, violin etc. IIRC this was discussed before quite recently.

I cannot say much about the sonatas and partitas, having not much to compare. Everything sounds really fine to me, but I presume that many have other favorites.

AAMB has made an recording of the Brandenburgs before, 25 years ago. That was a very fine set, as is the new one. There are some differences; Isabelle Faust now is involved somehow of course, some movements are played somewhat faster now, the recording
    is less analytical and a little "warmer" or more "gentle" sounding with a little more reverb, which is not a real advantage in the concertos 2, 4 and 5. For those who have the older set there is no reason to buy the new one. Again the 2 discs have no
    fillers.

All in all a fine Bach set, with a very good recording of the Brandenburg concertos as a bonus - 'as a strange duck in the bite' (old Dutch expression).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Gerard@21:1/5 to All on Mon Apr 3 02:29:15 2023
    Op zaterdag 1 april 2023 om 00:31:26 UTC+2 schreef Gerard:
    Bach recordings by Isabelle Faust, a harmonia mundi box with 8 cds and 1 dvd. Actually with 10 cds because 2 of them are double, maybe to fill the too large box better.
    All has been released before and AFAIK all components are still easily available.

The pachaging is utterly clumsy (as we have seen so often with harmonia mundi). The box contains 4 (5 actually) "twofers" in double envelops. One needs 3 hands to unpack a disk, because of the risk of the other disk falling on the floor.

CD 1 and 2: 6 violin concertos and 2 sinfonia's, trios, and orchestral suite 2 (complete) with violin in stead of flute.
    CD 5 and 6 sonatas for cembalo and violin, with Kristian Bezuidenhout on harpsichord.
    CD 7 and 8 the Brandenburg concertos complete, with the Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin (AAMB).

The violin concertos set is worth a real recommendation, specially because of the "extra" violin concerto-reconstructions of BWV 1052 and 1056 and including BWV 1060 for oboe, violin etc. IIRC this was discussed before quite recently.

I cannot say much about the sonatas and partitas, having not much to compare. Everything sounds really fine to me, but I presume that many have other favorites.

AAMB has made an recording of the Brandenburgs before, 25 years ago. That was a very fine set, as is the new one. There are some differences; Isabelle Faust now is involved somehow of course, some movements are played somewhat faster now, the recording
    is less analytical and a little "warmer" or more "gentle" sounding with a little more reverb, which is not a real advantage in the concertos 2, 4 and 5. For those who have the older set there is no reason to buy the new one. Again the 2 discs have no
    fillers.

All in all a fine Bach set, with a very good recording of the Brandenburg concertos as a bonus - 'as a strange duck in the bite' (old Dutch expression).

Pisendel: violin concerti, Sinfonia, etc.
    Mayumi Hirasaki, violin; Concerto Köln - Berlin Classics

Pisendel was one of the best violinists of his time, worldfamous in Dresden (where he was concertmaster of the Dresden Hofkapelle) and environs. Bach possibly wrote his violin sonatas for Pisendel. As composer he was absolutely not as prolific as some of
    his friends (like Bach, Telemann, Vivaldi, Zelenka).

This cd contains a very nice and varied program with his works. But these works are not up to the level of those of his famous friends. The first 4 tracks are interesting, the rest not so much.
    Playing is fine, but nothing special; the recording is less fine, a little dull.
    In short: a forgettable disk.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From raymond.hallbear1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Gerard on Mon Apr 3 04:13:31 2023
    On Monday, 3 April 2023 at 19:29:17 UTC+10, Gerard wrote:
    Op zaterdag 1 april 2023 om 00:31:26 UTC+2 schreef Gerard:

AAMB has made an recording of the Brandenburgs before, 25 years ago. That was a very fine set, as is the new one. There are some differences; Isabelle Faust now is involved somehow of course, some movements are played somewhat faster now, the
    recording is less analytical and a little "warmer" or more "gentle" sounding with a little more reverb, which is not a real advantage in the concertos 2, 4 and 5. For those who have the older set there is no reason to buy the new one. Again the 2 discs
    have no fillers.

Pisendel: violin concerti, Sinfonia, etc.
    Mayumi Hirasaki, violin; Concerto Köln - Berlin Classics

Pisendel was one of the best violinists of his time, worldfamous in Dresden (where he was concertmaster of the Dresden Hofkapelle) and environs. Bach possibly wrote his violin sonatas for Pisendel. As composer he was absolutely not as prolific as some
    of his friends (like Bach, Telemann, Vivaldi, Zelenka).

This cd contains a very nice and varied program with his works. But these works are not up to the level of those of his famous friends. The first 4 tracks are interesting, the rest not so much.
    Playing is fine, but nothing special; the recording is less fine, a little dull.
    In short: a forgettable disk.

Douglas Lilburn's 3 symphonies. Fairly compact and concise works, all three works on one CD, giving off scenic impressions of New Zealand, and heavily influenced by Sibelius, type of mid 20th century tonality. Stern but not forbidding. John Hopkins
    director on Continuum. A Naxos disc directed by James Rudd with the same NZ orchestra is a fine alternative. Strongly addictive for those not immune to Sibelius.

Ray Hall, Taree

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Todd M. McComb@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 7 21:52:56 2023
    Since US composer Pauline Oliveros (1932-2016) died a few years
    back, it seems releases of her music are slowly expanding. This
    week there's an album from the group Apartment House (known e.g.
    for their Cage & various other recent releases...) from Another
    Timbre:

https://anothertimbre.bandcamp.com/album/sound-pieces

(Another Timbre releases also generally appear at e.g. Presto.)

These are actually some of the more aggressive/dissonant pieces
    from Oliveros, meaning less "new age" than some of her music might
    seem, but that's not the general orientation to consider for the
    uninitiated reader: The four recent releases on Another Timbre are
    all generally calm music, featuring pleasant sounds & nothing
    resembling a prickly complexity. Oliveros' are on the tauter end
    here, but still fit within the general heading of cleansing music
    that e.g. helps me rid my mind of commercial jingles.

(Magnus Granberg is another notable composer in this set from Another
    Timbre, and they've released a lot of his music lately -- as have
    other labels. I reviewed Granberg's _How Lonely Sits the City?_
    in February 2022, for instance, and it's a great pandemic era piece.
    There's also orchestral music by someone unfamiliar to me, Adrian
    Democ.)

If one isn't at all familiar with Oliveros, and e.g. her Deep
    Listening Band, some titles from the new album might be suggestive: "Quintessential" "Horse sings from cloud" & "Peace / Tree" ....

(Oliveros is also a pioneer of tape/electronic music, and more of
    those items are appearing too.)

Anyway, the "experimental music" on Another Timbre is generally
    approachable. The music operates differently from e.g. 19th century
    classical music (and I for one have no particular desire to continue
    thinking in the 19th century!), but its elements are not daunting.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to Gerard on Fri Apr 7 15:05:22 2023
    On Friday, March 31, 2023 at 3:31:26 PM UTC-7, Gerard wrote:

Bach recordings by Isabelle Faust, a harmonia mundi box with 8 cds and 1 dvd.
    Actually with 10 cds because 2 of them are double, maybe to fill the too large box better.

Playing with the devil again ?!?

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Oscar@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 7 23:13:26 2023
    John Wilson conducting the Sinfonia of London in Rachmaninoff Symphony No.2 in E minor, Op.27. New upload (31 March 2023) on AppleMusic in Dolby Atmos sound. I gave several auditions to these forces in Rach's Third Symphony and it just didn't cotton on.
    I do like the American, John Wilson, as a conductor, however, so will give this one a fairer-than-usual shake as well.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to Oscar on Fri Apr 7 23:25:56 2023
    On Friday, April 7, 2023 at 11:13:28 PM UTC-7, Oscar wrote:

John Wilson conducting the Sinfonia of London in
    Rachmaninoff Symphony No.2 in E minor, Op.27.
    New upload (31 March 2023) on AppleMusic in
    Dolby Atmos sound. I gave several auditions to
    these forces in Rach's Third Symphony and it just
    didn't cotton on. I do like the American, John Wilson,
    as a conductor, however, so will give this one a fairer-
    than-usual shake as well.

https://youtu.be/SvuitFzDxDg

https://youtu.be/pOoBEeRPpGI

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Todd M. McComb@21:1/5 to Todd M. McComb on Sat Apr 8 21:44:22 2023
    In article <u0q3bo$vi8$1@hope.eyrie.org>,
    Todd M. McComb <mccomb@medieval.org> wrote:
    The music operates differently from e.g. 19th century classical
    music (and I for one have no particular desire to continue thinking
    in the 19th century!), but its elements are not daunting.

A quote from cellist Anton Lukoszevieze of Apartment House, interviewed
    about their Oliveros album:

"Often for me, the key to performing such works is to listen and
    not listen, to react and not react, to be serious or absurd. One
    must also be attentive to one's instrument, to feel that connection
    with the creation of musical sound. But essentially, it is about
    creating something new, through the score, not attending to habits
    or cliches, hopefully. I wanted to be surprised by her compositions
    and I think I was, that's it!"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to All on Sat Apr 8 15:47:03 2023
    Iberia

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc S@21:1/5 to All on Wed Apr 12 12:14:56 2023
    Been listening to some Brahms and Schumann again lately and - just like the rest - screw them (they are ofc better than Chopin etc).

The only composers I need are: Bach (how wrong I was about not needing him), Mozart, Beethoven and Schubert - in case anyone cares.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to Marc S on Wed Apr 12 15:11:51 2023
    On Wednesday, April 12, 2023 at 12:14:59 PM UTC-7, Marc S wrote:

Been listening to some Brahms and
    Schumann again lately and - just like
    the rest - screw them (they are ofc
    better than Chopin etc).

The only composers I need are:
    Bach (how wrong I was about
    not needing him), Mozart,
    Beethoven and Schubert -
    in case anyone cares.

You don't need composers.
    You need to take your pills.

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gggg gggg@21:1/5 to Gerard on Wed Apr 12 23:27:08 2023
    On Friday, March 31, 2023 at 3:31:26 PM UTC-7, Gerard wrote:

fillers.

If you've ever wondered why some of us seldom stray from vocal music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy3NnDQLFUM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc S@21:1/5 to Marc S on Sat Apr 22 02:18:14 2023
    Marc S schrieb am Mittwoch, 12. April 2023 um 21:14:59 UTC+2:
    Been listening to some Brahms and Schumann again lately and - just like the rest - screw them (they are ofc better than Chopin etc).

The only composers I need are: Bach (how wrong I was about not needing him), Mozart, Beethoven and Schubert - in case anyone cares.

Just to keep you guys updated:

Screw my past self - after having dealt with Schubert again, I have to say I like Brahms much more. I don't need Schubert, but I think I need Brahms.

I'm also still fascinated by Schoenberg and to a lesser degree by Berg, but not so much by Webern... and not so much by Messiaen, Boulez, Lachenmann, Rihm, Stockhausen, Varese, Xenakis etc as well...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Todd M. McComb@21:1/5 to All on Sun Apr 23 23:44:40 2023
    I hadn't paid much attention to Aldo Clementi (1925-2011), although
    he does sometimes appear together with other composers I notice,
    but I've definitely noticed violinist Erik Carlson (i.e. his Babbitt
    project), and he's started another "slowly expanding" album project,
    now for Clementi:

https://erikcarlson.bandcamp.com/album/slowly-expanding-aldo-clementi-album

Again I'm not that familiar with Clementi, and don't have an overall
    sense of his output, but Carlson was already e.g. a violinist on
    the Quatuor Bozzini album of Clementi, and brings a real fluency
    to the 5 short works here.

That seems important to enjoying the decelerating canons that are
    apparently Clementi's signature, i.e. the fluency to bring out a
    sense of ease in the micro-polyphony (of the sort that Ligeti
    might've possibly written, but didn't...), allowing the deceleration
    to have its (apparent) intended effect, i.e. easing-calming. (A
    parallel could thus be with Pa:rt, the latter's music being more historical-thematic.) So these are chromatic works, but project a
    sort of "melody" -- and not in a linear-repetitive way, more self-dissolving....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc S@21:1/5 to All on Wed Apr 26 14:11:16 2023
    My dear friends, I just had this epiphany, and I have to share it with you: I realized that I am just not too fond of Bach and that I don't need him.

Thank you for listening.

PS: My fav composers, and the only composers I really need are: Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms - and I think I should check Schubert out again... he seems to come the closest to my favourites, much more so than any other...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to Marc S on Wed Apr 26 14:29:49 2023
    On Wednesday, April 26, 2023 at 2:11:19 PM UTC-7, Marc S wrote:

My dear friends, I just had this epiphany,
    and I have to share it with you:

You appear to have new epiphanies every
    time you take your pills. Try different pills
    to also experience ἀποφαίνειν, or even
    παράεἴδωλιν.

I realized that I am just not too fond of
    Bach

He probably realized it too!

and that I don't need him.

That has been plainly obvious for quite
    some time. You need more therapists.

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From HT@21:1/5 to All on Wed Apr 26 15:31:10 2023
    All the recordings I could find on YT of Godowsky as a performer. It's a pity that his repertoire is restricted to encores. I like the natural way he plays the piano: never fast and/or loud and always with a beautiful round tone (as Liszt must have
    sounded, according to his contemporaries).

Godowsky's Passacaglia in several versions, a.o. Hamelin, Scherbakov. It's one of my favourite pieces for piano solo. There is a tendency, I noticed, to play the fast variations as fast as possible. A senseless undertaking IMHO. It doesn't help the music
    one bit. The version I really liked was Siirala's. He seems to be one of those forgotten great talents.

Henk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to All on Wed Apr 26 19:12:38 2023
    On Wednesday, April 26, 2023 at 3:31:13 PM UTC-7, HT wrote:

All the recordings I could find on YT of Godowsky as a
    performer. It's a pity that his repertoire is restricted to
    encores. I like the natural way he plays the piano: never
    fast and/or loud and always with a beautiful round tone (as
    Liszt must have sounded, according to his contemporaries).

Godowsky's repertoire was obviously not
    restricted to "encores"! That would be a
    logical contradiction. Encores are usually
    performed following the main entrées,
    except when the chefs are La Wang or
    Lang van Bang who make every work
    sound like an encore.

Godowsky performed large works early
    in his career, including one concert in
    Berlin in 1900 when he performed the
    Emperoar, the Tchaikovsky 1st and
    the Brahms 2nd in one evening.

The impression Godowsky's repertoire
    was limited to small works comes from
    the fact the bulk of his recordings were
    either acoustical or made in the early
    days of electricals, limited mostly to
    shorter works that could fit on one
    disc.

I copied from Marston Record's website
    the track list of the of Godowsky's
    Complete Recordings 3 CD set,
    rather than post a link to the site,
    as the site does not appear to be
    secure. As one can see, larger
    works were recorded as well,
    such as Schumann's Carnaval,
    Chopin's Funeral March Sonata,
    and a selection of 12 Nocturnes.
    The latter are not to be missed.

Marston Records complete Godowky
    Recordings -- Track Listings

CD 1 (79:38)
    BRUNSWICK RECORDINGS, 1925–1926

CHOPIN:
    1. Polonaise in A-flat, op. 53 [abridged] 4:41
    2 October 1925; (XE16482) 50075

SCHUBERT-TAUSIG:
    2. Marche Militaire No. 1 4:18
    7 October 1925; (XE16547) 50078

RACHMANINOFF:
    3. Prelude in C-sharp Minor, op. 3, no. 2 3:03
    September 1926; (E20014) 15123

SINDING:
    4. Rustles of Spring, op. 32, no. 3 2:33
    3 September 1926; (E20026) 15125

CHAMINADE:
    5. Scarf Dance, op. 37 [abridged] 1:42
    6. The Flatterer, op. 50 2:15
    3 September 1926; (XE20028) 50101

MACDOWELL:
    7. Witches’ Dance, op. 17, no. 2 2:55
    3 September 1926; (E20030) 15125

RUBINSTEIN:
    8. Melody in F, op. 3, no. 1 3:17
    3 September 1926; (E20032) 15124

CHOPIN:
    9. Waltz in C-sharp Minor, op. 64, no. 2 3:08
    3 September 1926; (E20034); 15124

MENDELSSOHN:
    10. Andante and Rondo Capriccioso, op. 14 5:40
    4 September 1926; (XE20045) 50131
    VERDI-LISZT:
    11. Rigoletto Paraphrase [abridged] 5:38
    4 September 1926; (XE20048) 50131
    TCHAIKOVSKY:
    12. June (Barcarolle), op. 37, no. 6 4:15
    7 September 1926; (XE20060) 50101
    CHOPIN:
    13. Etude in G-flat, op. 10, no. 5, “Black Keys” 1:47
    14. Etude in G-flat, op. 25, no. 9, “Butterfly” 1:05
    10 September 1926; (E20080) 15123
    SCHUBERT-GODOWSKY:
    15. Morgengruss (Morning Greeting), from “Die schöne Müllerin” 4:33
    11 September 1926; (XE20092) 50133
    16. Gute Nacht (Good Night), from “Winterreise” 4:46
    11 September 1926; (XE20095) 50133

ENGLISH COLUMBIA RECORDINGS, 1928–1930

SCHUMANN:
    Carnaval, op. 9
    17. Préambule 2:19
    18. Pierrot 0:58
    19. Arlequin 0:43
    20. Valse noble 1:01
    21. Eusebius 1:46
    22. Florestan 0:49
    23. Coquette 1:05
    24. Réplique 0:45
    25. Papillons 0:44
    26. A.S.C.H. – S.C.H.A. “Lettres dansantes” 0:35
    27. Chiarina 1:06
    28. Chopin 0:58
    29. Estrella 0:22
    30. Reconnaissance 1:48
    31. Pantalon et Columbine 0:58
    32. Valse allemande 0:52
    33. Paganini 1:08
    34. Aveu 0:30
    35. Promenade 1:30
    36. Pause 0:16
    37. Marche des “Davidsbündler” contre les Philistins 3:33
    28 and 29 May 1929; (WAX 4967-3, 4968-2, 4969-2, 4970-2, 4975-2, 4976-2) LX 32-34

CD 2 (74:02)

CHOPIN:
    1. Nocturne in B-flat Minor, op. 9, no. 1 4:10
    23 June 1928; (WAX 3807-4) L 2165
    2. Nocturne in E-flat, op. 9, no. 2 3:56
    23 June 1928; (WAX 3808-6) L 2164
    3. Nocturne in F, op. 15, no. 1 3:50
    23 June 1928; (WAX 3811-4) L 2169
    4. Nocturne in F-sharp, op. 15, no. 2 3:20
    23 June 1928; (WAX 3812-4) L 2169
    5. Nocturne in C-sharp Minor, op. 27, no. 1 4:31
    23 June 1928; (WAX 3813-4) L 2170
    6. Nocturne in D-flat, op. 27, no. 2 5:32
    23 and 26 June 1928; (WAX 3830-3 and 3831-4) L 2171
    7. Nocturne in B, op. 32, no. 1 3:43
    23 June 1928; (WAX 3814-6) L 2167
    8. Nocturne in G Minor, op. 37, no. 1 4:08
    20 and 23 June 1928; (WAX 3815-6) L 2168
    9. Nocturne in G, op. 37, no. 2 6:20
    20 and 23 June 1928; (WAX 3809-1 and 3810-6) L 2166
    10. Nocturne in F-sharp Minor, op. 48, no. 2 4:22
    22 June 1928; (WAX 3827-4) L 2170
    11. Nocturne in F Minor, op. 55, no. 1 4:13
    23 June 1928; (WAX 3829-2) L 2167
    12. Nocturne in E Minor, op. 72, no. 1 3:47
    23 June 1928; (WAX 3828-3) L 2165

Sonata No. 2 in B-flat Minor, op. 35
    13. Grave – Doppio movimento 7:29
    14. Scherzo – Piu lento – Tempo I 6:28
    15. Marche funebre: Lento 6:34
    16. Finale: Presto 1:34
    25 April 1930; (WAX 5549-2, 5550-1, 5551-2, 5552-2, 5553-3, 5554-2) LX 124-126

CD 3 (77:28)

GRIEG:
    1. Ballade in G Minor, op. 24 (Variations on a Norwegian folk melody) 17:01
    27 May 1929; (WAX 4963-2, 4964-3, 4965-3, 4966-1) LX 9-10

BEETHOVEN:
    Sonata No. 26 in E-flat, op. 81a, “Lebewohl”
    2. Adagio - Allegro 7:17
    3. Andante espressivo 4:06
    4. Vivacissimamente 4:22
    31 May 1929; (WAX 4985-2, 4986-1, 4987-1, 4988-2) L 2354-2355

CHOPIN:
    5. Scherzo No. 4 in E, op. 54 8:56
    17 June 1930; unissued matrices WAX 5624-? and 5625-1

PRIVATE RECORDING, ca. 1935

GODOWSKY:
    6. The Gardens of Buitenzorg, from “Java Suite” 3:14

APPENDIX ONE: ALTERNATIVE TAKES

CHOPIN:
    7. Berceuse in D-flat, op. 57 4:40
    10 April 1913; (36700-1) A 5597
    8. Berceuse in D-flat, op. 57 4:27
    10 April 1913; (36700-2) A 5597

SCHUBERT-GODOWSKY:
    9. Morgengruss (Morning Greeting), from “Die schöne Müllerin” 4:13
    11 September 1926; (XE 20093) 50133

APPENDIX TWO: GODOWSKY COMPOSITIONS
    ON CONTEMPORANEOUS EARLY RECORDINGS
    CHOPIN-GODOWSKY:

10. Study No. 15 (on Etude, op. 10, no. 7) 3:27
    11. Study No. 47 (“Badinage,” Etudes op. 10, no. 5 and op. 25, no. 9 combined)
    David Saperton, pianist 1:29
    23 June 1940; unissued Victor matrix 051355-1
    CHOPIN:
    12. Etude in G-flat, op. 25, no. 9, “Butterfly” 0:57
    CHOPIN-GODOWSKY:
    13. Study no. 39 (on Etude, op. 25, no. 9)
    Victor Schiøler, pianist 1:07
    1929; (A9435) Columbia 2262D
    ALBENIZ-GODOWSKY:
    14. Tango in D, op. 165, no. 2
    Wilhelm Backhaus, pianist 2:48
    June 1928; (Bb 13829-2) HMV DA 1018
    SCHUBERT-GODOWSKY:
    15. Moment Musical, op. 94, no. 3
    Lev Pouishnoff, pianist 2:01
    1927; (A5393) Columbia 4830
    RAMEAU-GODOWSKY:
    16. Tambourin
    Shura Cherkassky, pianist 3:00
    26 June 1925; Victor 45508
    LOEILLET-GODOWSKY:
    17. Gigue
    Emil Gilels, pianist 2:07
    1935; USSR 524
    GODOWSKY:
    18. Alt Wien (Old Vienna) from Triakontameron
    Isabelle Yalkovsky, pianist 2:08
    1929; Victor 4115

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to All on Wed Apr 26 19:16:36 2023

Godowsky's Passacaglia in several
    versions, a.o. Hamelin, Scherbakov.

The current frpmt runners appear to be:

https://youtu.be/o15d5MDDZuI

and

https://youtu.be/f0nlJXooIVc

I am practicing it right now! ;-)

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From HT@21:1/5 to All on Thu Apr 27 01:23:01 2023
    Op donderdag 27 april 2023 om 04:16:39 UTC+2 schreef Dan Koren:

Godowsky's Passacaglia in several
    versions, a.o. Hamelin, Scherbakov.
    The current frpmt runners appear to be:

https://youtu.be/o15d5MDDZuI

and

https://youtu.be/f0nlJXooIVc

I am practicing it right now! ;-)

It's great music and worth practising, even if you can play half the notes in half tempo.

BTW, I agree about Siirala. Still the most interesting version after his Leeds golden medal.

Henk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From HT@21:1/5 to All on Thu Apr 27 01:28:29 2023
    Thanks for the list, Dan. I'll see if I can make the set complete with what is on YT and what I have somewhere on the shelves.

Henk

Op donderdag 27 april 2023 om 04:12:41 UTC+2 schreef Dan Koren:

All the recordings I could find on YT of Godowsky as a
    performer. It's a pity that his repertoire is restricted to
    encores. I like the natural way he plays the piano: never
    fast and/or loud and always with a beautiful round tone (as
    Liszt must have sounded, according to his contemporaries).
    Godowsky's repertoire was obviously not
    restricted to "encores"! That would be a
    logical contradiction. Encores are usually
    performed following the main entrées,
    except when the chefs are La Wang or
    Lang van Bang who make every work
    sound like an encore.

Godowsky performed large works early
    in his career, including one concert in
    Berlin in 1900 when he performed the
    Emperoar, the Tchaikovsky 1st and
    the Brahms 2nd in one evening.

The impression Godowsky's repertoire
    was limited to small works comes from
    the fact the bulk of his recordings were
    either acoustical or made in the early
    days of electricals, limited mostly to
    shorter works that could fit on one
    disc.

I copied from Marston Record's website
    the track list of the of Godowsky's
    Complete Recordings 3 CD set,
    rather than post a link to the site,
    as the site does not appear to be
    secure. As one can see, larger
    works were recorded as well,
    such as Schumann's Carnaval,
    Chopin's Funeral March Sonata,
    and a selection of 12 Nocturnes.
    The latter are not to be missed.

Marston Records complete Godowky
    Recordings -- Track Listings

CD 1 (79:38)
    BRUNSWICK RECORDINGS, 1925–1926

CHOPIN:
    1. Polonaise in A-flat, op. 53 [abridged] 4:41
    2 October 1925; (XE16482) 50075

SCHUBERT-TAUSIG:
    2. Marche Militaire No. 1 4:18
    7 October 1925; (XE16547) 50078

RACHMANINOFF:
    3. Prelude in C-sharp Minor, op. 3, no. 2 3:03
    September 1926; (E20014) 15123

SINDING:
    4. Rustles of Spring, op. 32, no. 3 2:33
    3 September 1926; (E20026) 15125

CHAMINADE:
    5. Scarf Dance, op. 37 [abridged] 1:42
    6. The Flatterer, op. 50 2:15
    3 September 1926; (XE20028) 50101

MACDOWELL:
    7. Witches’ Dance, op. 17, no. 2 2:55
    3 September 1926; (E20030) 15125

RUBINSTEIN:
    8. Melody in F, op. 3, no. 1 3:17
    3 September 1926; (E20032) 15124

CHOPIN:
    9. Waltz in C-sharp Minor, op. 64, no. 2 3:08
    3 September 1926; (E20034); 15124

MENDELSSOHN:
    10. Andante and Rondo Capriccioso, op. 14 5:40
    4 September 1926; (XE20045) 50131
    VERDI-LISZT:
    11. Rigoletto Paraphrase [abridged] 5:38
    4 September 1926; (XE20048) 50131
    TCHAIKOVSKY:
    12. June (Barcarolle), op. 37, no. 6 4:15
    7 September 1926; (XE20060) 50101
    CHOPIN:
    13. Etude in G-flat, op. 10, no. 5, “Black Keys” 1:47
    14. Etude in G-flat, op. 25, no. 9, “Butterfly” 1:05
    10 September 1926; (E20080) 15123
    SCHUBERT-GODOWSKY:
    15. Morgengruss (Morning Greeting), from “Die schöne Müllerin” 4:33
    11 September 1926; (XE20092) 50133
    16. Gute Nacht (Good Night), from “Winterreise” 4:46
    11 September 1926; (XE20095) 50133

SCHUMANN:
    Carnaval, op. 9
    17. Préambule 2:19
    18. Pierrot 0:58
    19. Arlequin 0:43
    20. Valse noble 1:01
    21. Eusebius 1:46
    22. Florestan 0:49
    23. Coquette 1:05
    24. Réplique 0:45
    25. Papillons 0:44
    26. A.S.C.H. – S.C.H.A. “Lettres dansantes” 0:35
    27. Chiarina 1:06
    28. Chopin 0:58
    29. Estrella 0:22
    30. Reconnaissance 1:48
    31. Pantalon et Columbine 0:58
    32. Valse allemande 0:52
    33. Paganini 1:08
    34. Aveu 0:30
    35. Promenade 1:30
    36. Pause 0:16
    37. Marche des “Davidsbündler” contre les Philistins 3:33
    28 and 29 May 1929; (WAX 4967-3, 4968-2, 4969-2, 4970-2, 4975-2, 4976-2) LX 32-34

CD 2 (74:02)

CHOPIN:
    1. Nocturne in B-flat Minor, op. 9, no. 1 4:10
    23 June 1928; (WAX 3807-4) L 2165
    2. Nocturne in E-flat, op. 9, no. 2 3:56
    23 June 1928; (WAX 3808-6) L 2164
    3. Nocturne in F, op. 15, no. 1 3:50
    23 June 1928; (WAX 3811-4) L 2169
    4. Nocturne in F-sharp, op. 15, no. 2 3:20
    23 June 1928; (WAX 3812-4) L 2169
    5. Nocturne in C-sharp Minor, op. 27, no. 1 4:31
    23 June 1928; (WAX 3813-4) L 2170
    6. Nocturne in D-flat, op. 27, no. 2 5:32
    23 and 26 June 1928; (WAX 3830-3 and 3831-4) L 2171
    7. Nocturne in B, op. 32, no. 1 3:43
    23 June 1928; (WAX 3814-6) L 2167
    8. Nocturne in G Minor, op. 37, no. 1 4:08
    20 and 23 June 1928; (WAX 3815-6) L 2168
    9. Nocturne in G, op. 37, no. 2 6:20
    20 and 23 June 1928; (WAX 3809-1 and 3810-6) L 2166
    10. Nocturne in F-sharp Minor, op. 48, no. 2 4:22
    22 June 1928; (WAX 3827-4) L 2170
    11. Nocturne in F Minor, op. 55, no. 1 4:13
    23 June 1928; (WAX 3829-2) L 2167
    12. Nocturne in E Minor, op. 72, no. 1 3:47
    23 June 1928; (WAX 3828-3) L 2165

Sonata No. 2 in B-flat Minor, op. 35
    13. Grave – Doppio movimento 7:29
    14. Scherzo – Piu lento – Tempo I 6:28
    15. Marche funebre: Lento 6:34
    16. Finale: Presto 1:34
    25 April 1930; (WAX 5549-2, 5550-1, 5551-2, 5552-2, 5553-3, 5554-2) LX 124-126

CD 3 (77:28)

GRIEG:
    1. Ballade in G Minor, op. 24 (Variations on a Norwegian folk melody) 17:01 27 May 1929; (WAX 4963-2, 4964-3, 4965-3, 4966-1) LX 9-10

BEETHOVEN:
    Sonata No. 26 in E-flat, op. 81a, “Lebewohl”
    2. Adagio - Allegro 7:17
    3. Andante espressivo 4:06
    4. Vivacissimamente 4:22
    31 May 1929; (WAX 4985-2, 4986-1, 4987-1, 4988-2) L 2354-2355

CHOPIN:
    5. Scherzo No. 4 in E, op. 54 8:56
    17 June 1930; unissued matrices WAX 5624-? and 5625-1

PRIVATE RECORDING, ca. 1935

GODOWSKY:
    6. The Gardens of Buitenzorg, from “Java Suite” 3:14

APPENDIX ONE: ALTERNATIVE TAKES

CHOPIN:
    7. Berceuse in D-flat, op. 57 4:40
    10 April 1913; (36700-1) A 5597
    8. Berceuse in D-flat, op. 57 4:27
    10 April 1913; (36700-2) A 5597

SCHUBERT-GODOWSKY:
    9. Morgengruss (Morning Greeting), from “Die schöne Müllerin” 4:13
    11 September 1926; (XE 20093) 50133

APPENDIX TWO: GODOWSKY COMPOSITIONS
    ON CONTEMPORANEOUS EARLY RECORDINGS
    CHOPIN-GODOWSKY:

10. Study No. 15 (on Etude, op. 10, no. 7) 3:27
    11. Study No. 47 (“Badinage,” Etudes op. 10, no. 5 and op. 25, no. 9 combined)
    David Saperton, pianist 1:29
    23 June 1940; unissued Victor matrix 051355-1
    CHOPIN:
    12. Etude in G-flat, op. 25, no. 9, “Butterfly” 0:57
    CHOPIN-GODOWSKY:
    13. Study no. 39 (on Etude, op. 25, no. 9)
    Victor Schiøler, pianist 1:07
    1929; (A9435) Columbia 2262D
    ALBENIZ-GODOWSKY:
    14. Tango in D, op. 165, no. 2
    Wilhelm Backhaus, pianist 2:48
    June 1928; (Bb 13829-2) HMV DA 1018
    SCHUBERT-GODOWSKY:
    15. Moment Musical, op. 94, no. 3
    Lev Pouishnoff, pianist 2:01
    1927; (A5393) Columbia 4830
    RAMEAU-GODOWSKY:
    16. Tambourin
    Shura Cherkassky, pianist 3:00
    26 June 1925; Victor 45508
    LOEILLET-GODOWSKY:
    17. Gigue
    Emil Gilels, pianist 2:07
    1935; USSR 524
    GODOWSKY:
    18. Alt Wien (Old Vienna) from Triakontameron
    Isabelle Yalkovsky, pianist 2:08
    1929; Victor 4115

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc S@21:1/5 to Dan Koren on Thu Apr 27 03:43:55 2023
    Dan Koren schrieb am Mittwoch, 26. April 2023 um 23:29:52 UTC+2:

παράεἴδωλιν.

No need to be jealous about hashem speaking to me.

Bach

Maybe, but what's more imporant is that yesterday night - after another epiphany - I realized the following thing: I don't need Schubert as well... and I guess I like Bach more than Schubert...

Mozart, Beethoven and Brahms are closest to my heart and I really can't think of any other music that I love as much.

I don't think so, but what I do think is that you need hashem - it seems you have forgotten about him. Try keeping kosher for a while. Show hashem some love.

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to Marc S on Thu Apr 27 03:59:57 2023
    On Thursday, April 27, 2023 at 3:43:58 AM UTC-7, Marc S wrote:

παράεἴδωλιν.

Not jealous at all. You can have him all to
    yourself, while everyone else enjoy risotto,
    sushi, port and chocolate.

Bach

Maybe, but what's more imporant is that
    yesterday night - after another epiphany -
    I realized the following thing: I don't need
    Schubert as well... and I guess I like Bach
    more than Schubert...

It will definitely help you balance your budget.

Mozart, Beethoven and Brahms are closest
    to my heart and I really can't think of any
    other music that I love as much.

Pretty soon you won't need any more music.

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc S@21:1/5 to Dan Koren on Thu Apr 27 04:10:38 2023
    Dan Koren schrieb am Donnerstag, 27. April 2023 um 13:00:00 UTC+2:

to also experience ἀποφαίνειν, or even παράεἴδωλιν.

Well, you know, since I'm a goy I just need to follow the seven noahide laws; so I can still enjoy all the things you listed - but I do not like pork, nor sushi, nor risotto.

Bach

Maybe, but what's more imporant is that
    yesterday night - after another epiphany -
    I realized the following thing: I don't need
    Schubert as well... and I guess I like Bach
    more than Schubert...
    It will definitely help you balance your budget.

Sure it will, but that's not what it's about.

Mozart, Beethoven and Brahms are closest
    to my heart and I really can't think of any
    other music that I love as much.
    Pretty soon you won't need any more music.

I don't think you know what music is, as there is not much music besides by the three composers I listed... 99% of the stuff you post or listen to is not music; or if it is... it's very bad, very primitive.

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc S@21:1/5 to Dan Koren on Thu Apr 27 04:43:39 2023
    Dan Koren schrieb am Donnerstag, 27. April 2023 um 13:26:35 UTC+2:
    On Thursday, April 27, 2023 at 4:10:40 AM UTC-7, Marc S wrote:

No need to be jealous about hashem
    speaking to me.

Well, you know, since I'm a goy I just need to
    follow the seven noahide laws; so I can still
    enjoy all the things you listed - but I do not
    like pork, nor sushi, nor risotto.
    PORT, not pork.

Thought it was a mistake on your behalf; I did not know port was a wine, I do not like wine as well - whiskey please.

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to Marc S on Thu Apr 27 04:26:32 2023

speaking to me.

PORT, not pork.

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to Marc S on Thu Apr 27 04:50:33 2023
    On Thursday, April 27, 2023 at 4:43:41 AM UTC-7, Marc S wrote:

speaking to me.

PORT, not pork.

Thought it was a mistake on your behalf; I
    did not know port was a wine, I do not like
    wine as well - whiskey please.

You did not know what it was and you already
    decided you don't like it? Wow !!!

Do yourself a favor and try a 1963 Fonseca:

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/fonseca+vintage+port+oporto+douro+portugal/1963

For whiskey, try a 1952 Springbank:

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/cadenhead+spring+bank+35+old+malt+scotch+whisky+campbeltown+scotland/1952

Enjoy!

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to Dan Koren on Thu Apr 27 04:53:16 2023
    On Thursday, April 27, 2023 at 4:50:36 AM UTC-7, Dan Koren wrote:

speaking to me.

PORT, not pork.

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/fonseca+vintage+port+oporto+douro+portugal/1963

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/cadenhead+spring+bank+35+old+malt+scotch+whisky+campbeltown+scotland/1952

The 1945 Fonseca is even better than
    the 1963, but almost impossible to
    find in the US. One should also watch
    for damaged corks and/or counterfeit
    bottles.

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/fonseca+vintage+port+oporto+douro+portugal/1945

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc S@21:1/5 to Dan Koren on Thu Apr 27 05:24:14 2023
    Dan Koren schrieb am Donnerstag, 27. April 2023 um 13:50:36 UTC+2:

speaking to me.

PORT, not pork.

Well, I don't like wine... so I think it's rather reasonable to assume that I won't like this wine as well. But ofc there is a chance I'd like it...

You already told me about this whiskey and that you drank it - about 2 years ago...

Enjoy!

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc S@21:1/5 to Dan Koren on Thu Apr 27 05:30:39 2023
    Dan Koren schrieb am Donnerstag, 27. April 2023 um 13:53:19 UTC+2:
    On Thursday, April 27, 2023 at 4:50:36 AM UTC-7, Dan Koren wrote:

speaking to me.

PORT, not pork.

The 1945 Fonseca is even better than
    the 1963, but almost impossible to
    find in the US. One should also watch
    for damaged corks and/or counterfeit
    bottles.

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/fonseca+vintage+port+oporto+douro+portugal/1945

First I think I need to try oolong tea before moving on, but I guess that this would be wasted on me.

As I already told once on this ng, while being in South Africa I visited a vineyard and this friendly guy at the bar gave me different wines to test; and I always used the same glass - without washing it - for every new whine. Only when I looked at the
    other people there, I realized that there was a special vessel with water in it which was used to wash out the glasses...

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc S@21:1/5 to Marc S on Thu Apr 27 12:53:08 2023
    Marc S schrieb am Donnerstag, 27. April 2023 um 21:33:12 UTC+2:
    Marc S schrieb am Donnerstag, 27. April 2023 um 12:43:58 UTC+2:

Bach
    Maybe, but what's more imporant is that yesterday night - after another epiphany - I realized the following thing: I don't need Schubert as well... and I guess I like Bach more than Schubert...
    *I like Schubert much more than Bach... I forgot that I had realized that I am not too fond of Bach anymore... and I can't really say that about Schubert... he really comes close to the other 3...

Mozart, Beethoven and Brahms are closest to my heart and I really can't think of any other music that I love as much.
    I don't think so, but what I do think is that you need hashem - it seems you have forgotten about him. Try keeping kosher for a while. Show hashem some love.

dk

I mean maybe counting in transcriptions I would rate Bach above Schubert... the problem is I seem to like the transcriptions more than "original" Bach (Feinberg, Zhukov - I don't like the Busoni more than the violin! -, Resphigi, and Webern ofc -
    Stokowski is awful) I only ever liked some piano, violin and cello partitas and sonatas; some stuff of the english suites and some other stuff; but I never digged any of the cantatas, passions, wtc, masses, goldberg or whatever is usually considered to
    be his best work.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc S@21:1/5 to Marc S on Thu Apr 27 12:33:09 2023

παράεἴδωλιν.
    Bach

*I like Schubert much more than Bach... I forgot that I had realized that I am not too fond of Bach anymore... and I can't really say that about Schubert... he really comes close to the other 3...

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc S@21:1/5 to Marc S on Thu Apr 27 13:52:19 2023
    Marc S schrieb am Donnerstag, 27. April 2023 um 21:53:10 UTC+2:

Bach

dk
    I mean maybe counting in transcriptions I would rate Bach above Schubert...

hmmm... na, even then probably not - the question also remains if I actually like the transcriptions more than the other stuff I listed (I just relistened to some after and ages... and probably not... I like the original Bach I listed more than the
    transcriptions I talked about). Schubert is much more to my liking... I just don't like the idiom of Bach too much I guess... maybe Baroque in general, also no Buxtehude.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc S@21:1/5 to Marc S on Fri Apr 28 08:59:13 2023
    Marc S schrieb am Donnerstag, 27. April 2023 um 22:52:21 UTC+2:
    Marc S schrieb am Donnerstag, 27. April 2023 um 21:53:10 UTC+2:

Bach

dk
    I mean maybe counting in transcriptions I would rate Bach above Schubert...
    hmmm... na, even then probably not - the question also remains if I actually like the transcriptions more than the other stuff I listed (I just relistened to some after and ages... and probably not... I like the original Bach I listed more than the
    transcriptions I talked about). Schubert is much more to my liking... I just don't like the idiom of Bach too much I guess... maybe Baroque in general, also no Buxtehude.

forget what I wrote... I like Bach more than Schubert... and I think I need Bach... I'm confident now I don't need Schubert.

ya... I guess the only composers I need are Bach, Mozart, Beethoven and Brahms...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul Alsing@21:1/5 to Marc S on Fri Apr 28 13:30:13 2023
    On Friday, April 28, 2023 at 8:59:15 AM UTC-7, Marc S wrote:

forget what I wrote... I like Bach more than Schubert... and I think I need Bach... I'm confident now I don't need Schubert.

ya... I guess the only composers I need are Bach, Mozart, Beethoven and Brahms...

I am confident that you are missing out on hundreds of fine composers who have created thousands of really fine works... but apparently you will never hear any of them... and that is a pity, and is your loss.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to Paul Alsing on Fri Apr 28 16:17:23 2023
    On Friday, April 28, 2023 at 1:30:16 PM UTC-7, Paul Alsing wrote:

forget what I wrote... I like Bach more than Schubert... and I
    think I need Bach... I'm confident now I don't need Schubert.

ya... I guess the only composers I need are Bach, Mozart,
    Beethoven and Brahms...

I am confident that you are missing out on hundreds of fine
    composers who have created thousands of really fine works...
    but apparently you will never hear any of them... and that is a
    pity, and is your loss.

He is missing pills far more than he is missing music.

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc S@21:1/5 to Dan Koren on Fri Apr 28 21:28:58 2023
    Dan Koren schrieb am Samstag, 29. April 2023 um 01:17:26 UTC+2:
    On Friday, April 28, 2023 at 1:30:16 PM UTC-7, Paul Alsing wrote:

forget what I wrote... I like Bach more than Schubert... and I
    think I need Bach... I'm confident now I don't need Schubert.

ya... I guess the only composers I need are Bach, Mozart,
    Beethoven and Brahms...

I am confident that you are missing out on hundreds of fine
    composers who have created thousands of really fine works...
    but apparently you will never hear any of them... and that is a
    pity, and is your loss.
    He is missing pills far more than he is missing music.

dk

Sorry JT, but there are no pills that could make me as dull and apathetic as you are - Herman is not wrong about the Esmé quartet... only complete dullards could enjoy it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc S@21:1/5 to Paul Alsing on Fri Apr 28 21:26:12 2023
    Paul Alsing schrieb am Freitag, 28. April 2023 um 22:30:16 UTC+2:

I am confident that you are missing out on hundreds of fine composers who have created thousands of really fine works... but apparently you will never hear any of them... and that is a pity, and is your loss.

Thank you for your concerns, but I intend to keep it kosher. I am not looking for "fine" composers... imo it's a pity that you waste your time with them; and I'm sure I heard most of the "important" works in cm, and I'm also sure that I've listened to
    much more music genres than you ever did or will...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul Alsing@21:1/5 to Marc S on Fri Apr 28 22:23:41 2023
    On Friday, April 28, 2023 at 9:26:15 PM UTC-7, Marc S wrote:

Thank you for your concerns, but I intend to keep it kosher. I am not looking for "fine" composers... imo it's a pity that you waste your time with them; and I'm sure I heard most of the "important" works in cm, and I'm also sure that I've listened to
    much more music genres than you ever did or will...

The very fact that you claim there are only (4) composers that you consider listenable says volumes about the width and breadth of your classical music exposure. I would be forced to conclude that, in general, you don't actually like classical music very
    much at all! I've never encountered anyone with such a narrow "angle of acceptance" regarding classical music! You can spend the rest of your days enjoying your 4 composers (who are all spectacular, no argument about that) and I will spend mine listening
    dozens and dozens of others that make me just as happy.

Your claim that you have listened to more musical genres that I have is pure speculation on your part and is an untenable position for you to take. You are clueless as to my musical background and are just puffing yourself up for some obscure reason...
    but I, for one, am not impressed.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc S@21:1/5 to Paul Alsing on Fri Apr 28 23:22:50 2023
    Paul Alsing schrieb am Samstag, 29. April 2023 um 07:23:43 UTC+2:
    On Friday, April 28, 2023 at 9:26:15 PM UTC-7, Marc S wrote:

Thank you for your concerns, but I intend to keep it kosher. I am not looking for "fine" composers... imo it's a pity that you waste your time with them; and I'm s ure I heard most of the "important" works in cm, and I'm also sure that I've listened
    to much more music genres than you ever did or will...
    The very fact that you claim there are only (4) composers that you consider listenable says volumes about the width and breadth of your classical music exposure.

Whatever you want to believe... you like to "speculate", don't you? Depending on the person it could also be a sign of having had enough music - not just cm - exposure...

I would be forced to conclude that, in general, you don't actually like classical music very much at all!

You are not forced to conclude anything... get out of your strait jacket... Furthermore, the nonsense you are writing is not a "conclusion", but "pure speculation".

I've never encountered anyone with such a narrow "angle of acceptance" regarding classical music!

Well, the majority is mostly wrong... it's not that I'm forcing myself to it... it happened naturally, and I'm not forcing you either. Also CM is the only genre I still listen to...

You can spend the rest of your days enjoying your 4 composers (who are all spectacular, no argument about that) and I will spend mine listening dozens and dozens of others that make me just as happy.

"Just as happy"... eh? Dozens of different composers all evoke the same feelings in you? Apathetic... numb...

Bach doesn't make me "as happy" as Mozart... completely different experiences...

Your claim that you have listened to more musical genres that I have is pure speculation on your part and is an untenable position for you to take.

Sir, you seem to like to take untenable positions yourself...

You are clueless as to my musical background and are just puffing yourself up for some obscure reason... but I, for one, am not impressed.

Well, I for sure did not write anything to impress you... or anyone...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05