• RIP Kenneth Montgomery 1943 - 2023

From Chris J.@21:1/5 to All on Mon Mar 6 18:47:56 2023
    We are informed of the death from pneumonia of Kenneth Montgomery, an outstanding Irish conductor with an international career.
    A student of Sir Adrian Boult, Kenneth became music director of the
    Bournemouth Sinfonietta in 1973 and of Glyndebourne Touring Opera two
    years later. In 2006 he was named principal conductor of the Ulster
    Orchestra.
    In the Netherlands, where he made his home, he was principal conductor of
    the (Netherlands) Radio Orchestra from 1975 and from 1985 with its
    successor, the (Netherlands) Radio Symphony Orhestra. He was director of
    opera studies at the Royal Conservatory in The Hague and flew out as
    annual guest conductor to the Santa Fe Opera in the US.
    He is survived by his husband, Jan van Dooren.

https://slippedisc.com/2023/03/death-of-a-distinguished-irish-conductor/

Chris

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Andrew Clarke@21:1/5 to Chris J. on Mon Mar 6 15:10:24 2023
    On Tuesday, March 7, 2023 at 5:48:00 AM UTC+11, Chris J. wrote:
    We are informed of the death from pneumonia of Kenneth Montgomery, an outstanding Irish conductor with an international career.
    A student of Sir Adrian Boult, Kenneth became music director of the Bournemouth Sinfonietta in 1973 and of Glyndebourne Touring Opera two
    years later. In 2006 he was named principal conductor of the Ulster Orchestra.
    In the Netherlands, where he made his home, he was principal conductor of the (Netherlands) Radio Orchestra from 1975 and from 1985 with its successor, the (Netherlands) Radio Symphony Orhestra. He was director of opera studies at the Royal Conservatory in The Hague and flew out as
    annual guest conductor to the Santa Fe Opera in the US.

Chris

The very next article in 'Slipped Disc' announces that Daniel Harding is to be the new musical director of Santa Cecilia in Rome. Not only is he British but, even worse, he is only 47. Despite these obvious disadvantages, DG are going to produce a new
    series of recordings at St Cecilia, no doubt due to the rave reviews that Mr Harding receives every month in The Gramophone.

There is, however, worse to come. Glyndebourne Encore are now streaming a performance of Der Rosenkavalier conducted by Robin Ticciati in 2014. He was 31 at the time. THIRTY ONE!!!! Have they no shame?

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From raymond.hallbear1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Andrew Clarke on Mon Mar 6 18:07:37 2023
    On Tuesday, 7 March 2023 at 10:10:28 UTC+11, Andrew Clarke wrote:
    On Tuesday, March 7, 2023 at 5:48:00 AM UTC+11, Chris J. wrote:
    A student of Sir Adrian Boult, Kenneth became music director of the Bournemouth Sinfonietta in 1973 and of Glyndebourne Touring Opera two years later. In 2006 he was named principal conductor of the Ulster Orchestra.
    In the Netherlands, where he made his home, he was principal conductor of the (Netherlands) Radio Orchestra from 1975 and from 1985 with its successor, the (Netherlands) Radio Symphony Orhestra. He was director of opera studies at the Royal Conservatory in The Hague and flew out as annual guest conductor to the Santa Fe Opera in the US.

Chris
    The very next article in 'Slipped Disc' announces that Daniel Harding is to be the new musical director of Santa Cecilia in Rome. Not only is he British but, even worse, he is only 47. Despite these obvious disadvantages, DG are going to produce a new
    series of recordings at St Cecilia, no doubt due to the rave reviews that Mr Harding receives every month in The Gramophone.

There is, however, worse to come. Glyndebourne Encore are now streaming a performance of Der Rosenkavalier conducted by Robin Ticciati in 2014. He was 31 at the time. THIRTY ONE!!!! Have they no shame?

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

Well, at least he is at an age where he might have heard and totally absorbed the real essence of the pieces he might conduct. Unlike certain others I could mention but won't.

Ray Hall, Taree

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Herman@21:1/5 to raymond....@gmail.com on Mon Mar 6 23:20:03 2023
    On Tuesday, March 7, 2023 at 3:07:40 AM UTC+1, raymond....@gmail.com wrote:

Well, at least he is at an age where he might have heard and totally absorbed the real essence of the pieces he might conduct. Unlike certain others I could mention but won't.

Ray Hall, Taree

You think it takes a dedicated professional musician forty or fifty years to "absorb" the essence of a piece of music?
    Perhaps you think musicians are by definition retarded?
    That's an armchair-general opinion if I ever heard one.
    You thought at 47, Daniel Harding was too young to lead an orchestra, didn't you?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From raymond.hallbear1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Herman on Tue Mar 7 01:08:41 2023
    On Tuesday, 7 March 2023 at 18:20:05 UTC+11, Herman wrote:
    On Tuesday, March 7, 2023 at 3:07:40 AM UTC+1, raymond....gmail.com wrote:

Ray Hall, Taree
    You think it takes a dedicated professional musician forty or fifty years to "absorb" the essence of a piece of music?
    You thought at 47, Daniel Harding was too young to lead an orchestra, didn't you?

No, I didn't. Whatever made you say something so stupid?
    In addition I also never stated musicians are retarded. Far from it.

But, as a conductor, one needs a few years of absorption, not just merely familiarity, with the many scores they are required to conduct.

This is the reason why, someone at the age of 24/25, is ill equipped to record a Sibelius cycle.
    But then some people wouldn't know the difference would they?

Ray Hall, Taree

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Herman@21:1/5 to raymond....@gmail.com on Tue Mar 7 02:14:54 2023
    On Tuesday, March 7, 2023 at 10:08:44 AM UTC+1, raymond....@gmail.com wrote:

Ray Hall, Taree

You were saying Montgomery was "at an age where he might have heard and totally absorbed the real essence of the pieces".

He's dead.

This is RMCR: dead people rule.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Herman@21:1/5 to raymond....@gmail.com on Tue Mar 7 02:34:56 2023
    On Tuesday, March 7, 2023 at 10:08:44 AM UTC+1, raymond....@gmail.com wrote:

This is the reason why, someone at the age of 24/25, is ill equipped to record a Sibelius cycle.

The difference I am aware of is nobody's putting a gun to my head saying I must buy Klaus Makela's Sibelius cycle.

I have noted before that the era of old decrepit conductors who need ten minutes to shuffle from stage door to podium seems to over. I'm not sad about this; I always found that a cheap marketing ploy: give the audience what they're used to; tell 'em this
    may be the last time!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From raymond.hallbear1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Herman on Tue Mar 7 02:45:41 2023
    On Tuesday, 7 March 2023 at 21:14:56 UTC+11, Herman wrote:
    On Tuesday, March 7, 2023 at 10:08:44 AM UTC+1, raymond....gmail.com wrote:

Ray Hall, Taree
    You were saying Montgomery was "at an age where he might have heard and totally absorbed the real essence of the pieces".

He's dead.

This is RMCR: dead people rule.

When you learn to read more thoroughly, I was referring to Robin Ticciati, who is well known, if not super well known, where I then stated in as many words that, "at least he (Ticciati) isn't 24/25 unlike some others I could mention but won't".
    Maybe your comprehension isn't too clear?
    In short, I wasn't referencing Kenneth Montgomery at all, who from all accounts was a fine conductor. Nor was I saying anything detrimental about Ticciati either, as I simply don't know his work.

Ray Hall, Taree

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Herman@21:1/5 to raymond....@gmail.com on Tue Mar 7 03:39:03 2023
    On Tuesday, March 7, 2023 at 11:45:44 AM UTC+1, raymond....@gmail.com wrote:

When you learn to read more thoroughly, I was referring to Robin Ticciati, who is well known, if not super well known, where I then stated in as many words that, "at least he (Ticciati) isn't 24/25 unlike some others I could mention but won't".

I'm sorry, I can't find those words you claim to have written in any post of yours here.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From raymond.hallbear1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Herman on Tue Mar 7 04:52:10 2023
    On Tuesday, 7 March 2023 at 22:39:07 UTC+11, Herman wrote:
    On Tuesday, March 7, 2023 at 11:45:44 AM UTC+1, raymond....gmail.com wrote:

I'm sorry, I can't find those words you claim to have written in any post of yours here.

Simple. Just go back and reread tne post.

Ray Hall, Tree

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Clarke@21:1/5 to raymond....@gmail.com on Tue Mar 7 23:39:38 2023
    On Tuesday, March 7, 2023 at 8:08:44 PM UTC+11, raymond....@gmail.com wrote:

Ray Hall, Taree
    In addition I also never stated musicians are retarded. Far from it.

But, as a conductor, one needs a few years of absorption, not just merely familiarity, with the many scores they are required to conduct.

Ray Hall, Taree

I should in all fairness report that critics at the first night reported that the orchestra almost broke down during the prologue to the opera but were fine thereafter. We could of course go on to talk about this 2014 production by Richard Jones, which
    aroused some controversy over the casting of Octavian ... Opus Arte issued a DVD so somebody else here may well have seen it.

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05