• Re: Poulenc. La Voix Humaine. Stephanie d'Oustrac. Glyndebourne. Stunni

From Herman@21:1/5 to Andrew Clarke on Mon Feb 20 23:53:28 2023
    On Tuesday, February 21, 2023 at 8:42:52 AM UTC+1, Andrew Clarke wrote:
    I'd never heard of this monodrame of Poulenc,
    The music is perfectly civilised, with no Second Vienna School howls and shrieks, the libretto is in perfectly restrained and polite French, so there's no Expressionism either.

Why is this so important? BTW depending on one's ears, the opera starts with shrieks and howls in the woodwinds. However, essentially LVH is a small scale domestic drama, a one-person opera. The emotions of the heroine are quite overwhelming, so more
    shrieks would have been OD.

There is also a performance by Barbara Hannigan who sings and conducts at the same time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2V85r8S_B4

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Bastian Kubis@21:1/5 to Herman on Tue Feb 21 16:58:35 2023
    On 21.02.23 08:53, Herman wrote:
    The music is perfectly civilised, with no Second Vienna School howls and shrieks, the libretto is in perfectly restrained and polite French, so there's no Expressionism either.

Why is this so important? BTW depending on one's ears, the opera starts with shrieks and howls in the woodwinds. However, essentially LVH is a small scale domestic drama, a one-person opera. The emotions of the heroine are quite overwhelming, so more

There is also a performance by Barbara Hannigan who sings and conducts at the same time.

Before I read Herman's reply, I was about to search out precisely the
    link to that performance... I think one could rightly say that Hannigan
    sings, conducts, *and acts* the performance. Someone, in a music forum, advertised the youtube video when it was new; back then, I went there
    for the stunt, and couldn't turn it off. An amazing artist, she is.

Bastian

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Clarke@21:1/5 to Bastian Kubis on Tue Feb 21 19:26:59 2023
    On Wednesday, February 22, 2023 at 2:58:40 AM UTC+11, Bastian Kubis wrote:
    On 21.02.23 08:53, Herman wrote:

Before I read Herman's reply, I was about to search out precisely the
    link to that performance... I think one could rightly say that Hannigan sings, conducts, *and acts* the performance. Someone, in a music forum, advertised the youtube video when it was new; back then, I went there
    for the stunt, and couldn't turn it off. An amazing artist, she is.

Bastian

The main difference between Ms Hannigan's performance and that of Mme D'Oustrac is of course that in the latter case you can't see it without having paid a subscription to Glyndebourne, while in the former case you can see it for free if you don't mind
    the ads smart phones and over the counter medications to promote sleep and reduce the stresses of everyday life. And I gather that as most members of this group are on welfare, this is an important consideration ...
    The Glyndebourne subscription isn't cheap, but it's a good deal cheaper than going there, even if you are able to get tickets, and I imagine one might feel uncomfortable there if you don't have the right social connections. Spending the interval in the
    bike shelter with a packet of cheese and tomato sandwicjhes and a bottle of fizzy stuff just won't cut it with the picnic hamper and Range Rover brigade, I'm afraid.
    I am, in any case increasingly convinced that streaming and/or self-produced CDs, are going to be the only way to go to survive for many if not most musical establishments.

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05