• CD shelving

From Peter@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jan 30 20:41:36 2023
    Here's a question for those of us who are still adding to our overly large collection of CDs. I need to buy another shelf unit, and I'd like to match the ones I already have, but I can't find any record of what I purchased from where.

The unit: it has 10 shelves, including the bottom, and is between 2-3 feet wide. It is solid wood, and it was very heavy in the box, as I recall. The side panels do not overlap the front-facing shelves, so there are no dead spaces on the ends where CDs
    can hide out of sight. The whole thing looks solid and sort of stately in its way. I paid over $300/unit a few years back for the ones I already have.

If these sound familiar to you, or if you are aware of shelving that meets a similar standard, I'd appreciate your recommendations. The stacks of unshelvable CDs accumulating on the floor are getting to be an irritation.

Thanks!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From raymond.hallbear1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Peter on Mon Jan 30 23:58:00 2023
    On Tuesday, 31 January 2023 at 15:41:38 UTC+11, Peter wrote:
    Here's a question for those of us who are still adding to our overly large collection of CDs. I need to buy another shelf unit, and I'd like to match the ones I already have, but I can't find any record of what I purchased from where.

The unit: it has 10 shelves, including the bottom, and is between 2-3 feet wide. It is solid wood, and it was very heavy in the box, as I recall. The side panels do not overlap the front-facing shelves, so there are no dead spaces on the ends where CDs
    can hide out of sight. The whole thing looks solid and sort of stately in its way. I paid over $300/unit a few years back for the ones I already have.

If these sound familiar to you, or if you are aware of shelving that meets a similar standard, I'd appreciate your recommendations. The stacks of unshelvable CDs accumulating on the floor are getting to be an irritation.

Thanks!

If your shelves can accomodate over twice the height of a CD, (x2.2 or more), a layer of reasonably stiff cardboard (shoebox strength) on top of the first row, will easily support a second row of CDs.

Ray Hall, Taree

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Clarke@21:1/5 to raymond....@gmail.com on Tue Jan 31 01:04:30 2023
    On Tuesday, January 31, 2023 at 6:58:03 PM UTC+11, raymond....@gmail.com wrote:

The unit: it has 10 shelves, including the bottom, and is between 2-3 feet wide. It is solid wood, and it was very heavy in the box, as I recall. The side panels do not overlap the front-facing shelves, so there are no dead spaces on the ends where
    CDs can hide out of sight. The whole thing looks solid and sort of stately in its way. I paid over $300/unit a few years back for the ones I already have.

Thanks!
    If your shelves can accomodate over twice the height of a CD, (x2.2 or more), a layer of reasonably stiff cardboard (shoebox strength) on top of the first row, will easily support a second row of CDs.

Ray Hall, Taree

Now try getting the bottom ones out without starting an avalanche ... I think it's kermit time again.

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra
    "Frogs don't live in swamps. They live in apartments with hi-fis an stuff." - Kermit the Frog.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From raymond.hallbear1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to andrewc...gmail.com on Tue Jan 31 01:07:50 2023
    On Tuesday, 31 January 2023 at 20:04:33 UTC+11, andrewc...gmail.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, January 31, 2023 at 6:58:03 PM UTC+11, raymond....gmail.com wrote:

The unit: it has 10 shelves, including the bottom, and is between 2-3 feet wide. It is solid wood, and it was very heavy in the box, as I recall. The side panels do not overlap the front-facing shelves, so there are no dead spaces on the ends where
    CDs can hide out of sight. The whole thing looks solid and sort of stately in its way. I paid over $300/unit a few years back for the ones I already have.

Thanks!

Ray Hall, Taree
    Now try getting the bottom ones out without starting an avalanche ... I think it's kermit time again.

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra
    "Frogs don't live in swamps. They live in apartments with hi-fis an stuff." - Kermit the Frog.

It works fine. No avalanche.

Ray Hall, Taree

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andy Evans@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 31 03:01:11 2023
    Lateral thinking - record all your CDs onto an external hard disc and play them in something like iTunes.

I did that years ago, so all the CDs are in stored in boxes out of the way.

Big advantage - you can make playlists and listen to exactly what you want. I have loads of playlists in iTunes.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Berger@21:1/5 to Andy Evans on Tue Jan 31 09:56:16 2023
    On 1/31/2023 6:01 AM, Andy Evans wrote:
    Lateral thinking - record all your CDs onto an external hard disc and play them in something like iTunes.

Big advantage - you can make playlists and listen to exactly what you want. I have loads of playlists in iTunes.

How long do you think it would take me to record over 15K CDs? At 75, my life expectancy is around 10 years, probably less because of my recent lung cancer adventure.

Also some people like the tactile feedback of owning/handling CDs.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Berger@21:1/5 to Peter on Tue Jan 31 11:12:01 2023
    On 1/30/2023 11:41 PM, Peter wrote:

Thanks!

Something like this?

https://www.onewayfurniture.com/wood-shed-1002-3.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Berger@21:1/5 to raymond....@gmail.com on Tue Jan 31 11:06:08 2023
    On 1/31/2023 4:07 AM, raymond....@gmail.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, 31 January 2023 at 20:04:33 UTC+11, andrewc...gmail.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, January 31, 2023 at 6:58:03 PM UTC+11, raymond....gmail.com wrote:

Thanks!

Ray Hall, Taree

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

Ray Hall, Taree

Let's see. 10 shelves, 9 spaces between, if there is 10 inches between shelves the unit would be like 9 feet tall. Not likely and not CD shelving in the first place.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Berger@21:1/5 to Frank Berger on Tue Jan 31 11:10:31 2023
    On 1/31/2023 11:06 AM, Frank Berger wrote:
    On 1/31/2023 4:07 AM, raymond....@gmail.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, 31 January 2023 at 20:04:33 UTC+11, andrewc...gmail.com wrote: >>> On Tuesday, January 31, 2023 at 6:58:03 PM UTC+11, raymond....gmail.com wrote:

Thanks!

Ray Hall, Taree

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

Ray Hall, Taree

Let's see.  10 shelves, 9 spaces between, if there is 10 inches between shelves the unit would be like 9 >feet tall.  Not likely and not CD shelving in the first place.

I'm bad at spacial relations. 10 shelves=10 spaces. Impossibly tall.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Clarke@21:1/5 to Frank Berger on Tue Jan 31 08:43:04 2023
    On Wednesday, February 1, 2023 at 1:56:25 AM UTC+11, Frank Berger wrote:

How long do you think it would take me to record over 15K CDs? At 75, my life expectancy is around 10 years, probably less because of my recent lung cancer adventure.

What I'd recommend is that instead of starting at the one on the top left and working your way down, you just rip the CDs after playing them. This means that you rip the ones you play the most, leaving the ones you haven't played since 1983 to slumber in
    peace.

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Berger@21:1/5 to Andrew Clarke on Tue Jan 31 12:00:20 2023
    On 1/31/2023 11:43 AM, Andrew Clarke wrote:
    On Wednesday, February 1, 2023 at 1:56:25 AM UTC+11, Frank Berger wrote:

I did that years ago, so all the CDs are in stored in boxes out of the way. >>>

What I'd recommend is that instead of starting at the one on the top left and working your way down, you just rip the CDs after playing them. This means that you rip the ones you play the most, leaving the ones you haven't played since 1983 to slumber
    in peace.

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

Yeah. Not happening. Years ago I had a friend who said he would rip all my CDs (probably less than 10,000 at that time) if he could keep a copy. Although illegal, I was OK with it, but it never happened.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Berger@21:1/5 to Jonathan Ben Schragadove on Tue Jan 31 12:23:49 2023
    On 1/31/2023 12:16 PM, Jonathan Ben Schragadove wrote:
    On Tuesday, January 31, 2023 at 8:12:08 AM UTC-8, Frank Berger wrote:

Thanks!
    Something like this?

Thanks for this, Frank. I'm running out of storage space...

I think I saw this exact unit on-line somewhere for less money. Glad to help.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jonathan Ben Schragadove@21:1/5 to Frank Berger on Tue Jan 31 09:16:08 2023
    On Tuesday, January 31, 2023 at 8:12:08 AM UTC-8, Frank Berger wrote:

Thanks!
    Something like this?

Thanks for this, Frank. I'm running out of storage space...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andy Evans@21:1/5 to andrewc...@gmail.com on Tue Jan 31 10:13:03 2023
    On Tuesday, 31 January 2023 at 16:43:07 UTC, andrewc...@gmail.com wrote:

What I'd recommend is that instead of starting at the one on the top left and working your way down, you just rip the CDs after playing them. This means that you rip the ones you play the most, leaving the ones you haven't played since 1983 to slumber
    in peace. > Andrew Clarke

This. That's exactly how it works.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Clarke@21:1/5 to Andy Evans on Tue Jan 31 14:23:22 2023
    On Wednesday, February 1, 2023 at 5:13:06 AM UTC+11, Andy Evans wrote:

What I'd recommend is that instead of starting at the one on the top left and working your way down, you just rip the CDs after playing them. This means that you rip the ones you play the most, leaving the ones you haven't played since 1983 to
    slumber in peace. > Andrew Clarke

The next important bit is not to buy any new CDs unless they are unavailable in any other format. Buy downloads or stream. Have to hand a Very Best of Perry Como CD in a knitted angora cover for that tactile experience ...

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 31 18:04:41 2023
    I realize lots of you have no use for CDs and are happy putting everything on some sort of device. In fact, I have maybe half my CDs on a 1TB micro SD card, which I slot into my phone. But I also want the CDs themselves. I have no desire for playlists,
    incidentally -- only use them for long car trips.

Thanks for the Leslie Dame suggestion. I think that's actually what I have, but unfortunately they have cut this shelving from their product line. I guess I'll have to settle for a substitute.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Lawrence Kart@21:1/5 to andrewc...@gmail.com on Tue Jan 31 17:30:37 2023
    On Tuesday, January 31, 2023 at 4:23:25 PM UTC-6, andrewc...@gmail.com wrote:

What I'd recommend is that instead of starting at the one on the top left and working your way down, you just rip the CDs after playing them. This means that you rip the ones you play the most, leaving the ones you haven't played since 1983 to
    The next important bit is not to buy any new CDs unless they are unavailable in any other format. Buy downloads or stream. Have to hand a Very Best of Perry Como CD in a knitted angora cover for that tactile experience ...

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

I've had good luck with Leslie Dame shelving. Well built, and the price was right.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Clarke@21:1/5 to Peter on Tue Jan 31 22:42:00 2023
    On Wednesday, February 1, 2023 at 1:04:45 PM UTC+11, Peter wrote:
    I realize lots of you have no use for CDs and are happy putting everything on some sort of device. In fact, I have maybe half my CDs on a 1TB micro SD card, which I slot into my phone. But I also want the CDs themselves. I have no desire for playlists,

Thanks for the Leslie Dame suggestion. I think that's actually what I have, but unfortunately they have cut this shelving from their product line. I guess I'll have to settle for a substitute.

Peter, I have nothing against CDs at all, and consider them far superior to the now fashionable vinyl that they replaced. But it does get to the stage where, unless you're a Texas rancher, you run out of room, and the extra space and the storage cabinets
    to fill them becomes expensive or in the case of CD storage, difficult to obtain. And it must get harder and harder to find stuff, whereas downloads are virtually self-indexing.

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Clarke@21:1/5 to ljk...@aol.com on Tue Jan 31 22:36:46 2023
    On Wednesday, February 1, 2023 at 12:30:40 PM UTC+11, ljk...@aol.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, January 31, 2023 at 4:23:25 PM UTC-6, andrewc...@gmail.com wrote:

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra
    I've had good luck with Leslie Dame shelving. Well built, and the price was right.

There is, after all, nothing like a Dame ...

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Berger@21:1/5 to Andrew Clarke on Wed Feb 1 09:51:09 2023
    On 2/1/2023 1:42 AM, Andrew Clarke wrote:

Peter, I have nothing against CDs at all, and consider them far superior to the now fashionable vinyl that they replaced. But it does get to the stage where, unless you're a Texas rancher, you run out of room, and the extra space and the storage
    cabinets to fill them becomes expensive or in the case of CD storage, difficult to obtain. And it must get harder and harder to find stuff, whereas downloads are virtually self-indexing.

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

You are absolutely right, Andrew. My collection, once nicely ordered, is completely out of control. Nevertheless, they will have to pry my CDs from my cold dead fingers. I've said before the only regret I have is that my wife will have deal with them
    eventually. I can hear her cursing me under he breath. Oh, well.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Richard Kaplan@21:1/5 to Frank Berger on Thu Feb 2 00:41:49 2023
    On Wednesday, February 1, 2023 at 8:51:18 AM UTC-6, Frank Berger wrote:
    I realize lots of you have no use for CDs and are happy putting everything on some sort of device. In fact, I have maybe half my CDs on a 1TB micro SD card, which I slot into my phone. But I also want the CDs themselves. I have no desire for
    playlists, incidentally -- only use them for long car trips.

Peter, I have nothing against CDs at all, and consider them far superior to the now fashionable vinyl that they replaced. But it does get to the stage where, unless you're a Texas rancher, you run out of room, and the extra space and the storage
    cabinets to fill them becomes expensive or in the case of CD storage, difficult to obtain. And it must get harder and harder to find stuff, whereas downloads are virtually self-indexing.

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra
    You are absolutely right, Andrew. My collection, once nicely ordered, is completely out of control. Nevertheless, they will have to pry my CDs from my cold dead fingers. I've said before the only regret I have is that my wife will have deal with them

Peter, I have several cabinets like what you describe, but they seem not to be made anymore. I did see something similar on eBay, though:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352466837906?epid=1001349799&hash=item5210a92192:g:PaUAAMXQltxQ63fc&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoP9bKxxKLT8rqboBNUdNKfRh0opmTLc22RyWhQ0yfvxSwDTm%2FVKJVBm0djh2ZEdDhMJ88cv82tbTjbdhW%2B%2Fbk%
    2FPUr8gpxiaU3t0hJqGII3lRqF6VmbslF8zPPpkQDWTtNTizhHG8BXdOdNizgt%2F26KhC03tikdM6%2BJzuztQawrEwvJ2vgJrWQ%2BxGcV%2BjyuUptARVJi3qyHgbzP%2B40kgeH8s%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR96utJTCYQ

Take a look.

RIch

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From raymond.hallbear1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Richard Kaplan on Thu Feb 2 02:04:21 2023
    On Thursday, 2 February 2023 at 19:41:52 UTC+11, Richard Kaplan wrote:
    I realize lots of you have no use for CDs and are happy putting everything on some sort of device. In fact, I have maybe half my CDs on a 1TB micro SD card, which I slot into my phone. But I also want the CDs themselves. I have no desire for

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra
    Peter, I have several cabinets like what you describe, but they seem not to be made anymore. I did see something similar on eBay, though:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352466837906?epid=1001349799&hash=item5210a92192:g:PaUAAMXQltxQ63fc&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoP9bKxxKLT8rqboBNUdNKfRh0opmTLc22RyWhQ0yfvxSwDTm%2FVKJVBm0djh2ZEdDhMJ88cv82tbTjbdhW%2B%2Fbk%
    2FPUr8gpxiaU3t0hJqGII3lRqF6VmbslF8zPPpkQDWTtNTizhHG8BXdOdNizgt%2F26KhC03tikdM6%2BJzuztQawrEwvJ2vgJrWQ%2BxGcV%2BjyuUptARVJi3qyHgbzP%2B40kgeH8s%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR96utJTCYQ

Take a look.

RIch

One hopes that with these cabinets, people hitch them to the wall. I bought a much deeper and less tall DIY shelving arrangement, for power tools, and could barely get past the warnings about bolting it to the wall.

Ray Hall, Taree

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mswdesign@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Frank Berger on Thu Feb 2 10:49:18 2023

Like any magic sword or ring whose power must be shepherded to a new owner, you just need to recruit some young people to take the burden off your wife's hands when the time arrives. Preferable those who are local and who already own cd players.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Berger@21:1/5 to mswd...@gmail.com on Thu Feb 2 15:58:09 2023
    On 2/2/2023 1:49 PM, mswd...@gmail.com wrote:

Like any magic sword or ring whose power must be shepherded to a new owner, you just need to recruit some young people to take the burden off your wife's hands when the time arrives. Preferable those who are local and who already own cd players.

Some years ago, a fellow from Princeton Record Exchange said they would send a couple of people with a truck, box them up and take them away and pay me $1-2 per disk. I have no idea if that offer is still good. Of course selling them will net more
    than that, but you have be willing to spend the time to do it. I will be dead and I think my wife would be happy to net $15-30K and not have to do any work.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Clarke@21:1/5 to Frank Berger on Thu Feb 2 14:03:25 2023
    On Friday, February 3, 2023 at 7:58:16 AM UTC+11, Frank Berger wrote:
    On 2/2/2023 1:49 PM, mswd...@gmail.com wrote:
    You are absolutely right, Andrew. My collection, once nicely ordered, is completely out of control. Nevertheless, they will have to pry my CDs from my cold dead fingers. I've said before the only regret I have is that my wife will have deal with
    them eventually. I can hear her cursing me under he breath. Oh, well.

Some years ago, a fellow from Princeton Record Exchange said they would send a couple of people with a truck, box them up and take them away and pay me $1-2 per disk. I have no idea if that offer is still good. Of course selling them will net more than
    that, but you have be willing to spend the time to do it. I will be dead and I think my wife would be happy to net $15-30K and not have to do any work.

"And then when I am dead and gone,
    In neon lights at Forest Lawn,
    Bruckner, bye bye ... *

I digitised my very considerably smaller collection when I was in my sixties, including the DVDs. Most of the original discs went to charities - I kept opera and lieder for the libretti and lyrics. And my wife now has all the wall space she thinks she
    needs. And as I get older, I do find it convenient to just click on remotes - or fiddle with my 'phone - rather than having to get up and find stuff!

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra
    *with apologies to Alan Sherman

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter@21:1/5 to Richard Kaplan on Thu Feb 2 15:14:57 2023
    Thanks. Alas, they have only walnut, when all of my other cabinets are oak. No mixed forest communities for me....

I get the impression that the world of CD storage is shrinking by the week.

Peter

On Thursday, February 2, 2023 at 12:41:52 AM UTC-8, Richard Kaplan wrote:

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

Take a look.

RIch

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pluted Pup@21:1/5 to Richard Kaplan on Thu Feb 2 15:24:40 2023
    On Thu, 02 Feb 2023 00:41:49 -0800, Richard Kaplan wrote:

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

Those look like the have the annoying overlap where books, cds, etc.,
    can hide themselves in an overlap.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Berger@21:1/5 to Peter on Thu Feb 2 20:10:05 2023
    On 2/2/2023 6:14 PM, Peter wrote:
    Thanks. Alas, they have only walnut, when all of my other cabinets are oak. No mixed forest communities for me....

Peter

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

Take a look.

RIch

What was wrong with the one I posted? The price? It is exactly as you described. Oak, 10 shelves, no blocking side moldings.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From raymond.hallbear1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Frank Berger on Thu Feb 2 18:41:11 2023
    On Friday, 3 February 2023 at 12:10:15 UTC+11, Frank Berger wrote:

Peter

On Wednesday, February 1, 2023 at 8:51:18 AM UTC-6, Frank Berger wrote: >>> On 2/1/2023 1:42 AM, Andrew Clarke wrote:

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra
    You are absolutely right, Andrew. My collection, once nicely ordered, is completely out of control. Nevertheless, they will have to pry my CDs from my cold dead fingers. I've said before the only regret I have is that my wife will have deal with

Take a look.

RIch
    What was wrong with the one I posted? The price? It is exactly as you described. Oak, 10 shelves, no blocking side moldings.

Only the price which is $791 as against $179. A big difference.

Ray Hall, Taree

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Berger@21:1/5 to raymond....@gmail.com on Thu Feb 2 23:32:40 2023
    On 2/2/2023 9:41 PM, raymond....@gmail.com wrote:
    On Friday, 3 February 2023 at 12:10:15 UTC+11, Frank Berger wrote:

I get the impression that the world of CD storage is shrinking by the week. >>>
    Peter

On Thursday, February 2, 2023 at 12:41:52 AM UTC-8, Richard Kaplan wrote: >>>> On Wednesday, February 1, 2023 at 8:51:18 AM UTC-6, Frank Berger wrote: >>>>> On 2/1/2023 1:42 AM, Andrew Clarke wrote:
    On Wednesday, February 1, 2023 at 1:04:45 PM UTC+11, Peter wrote: >>>>>>> I realize lots of you have no use for CDs and are happy putting everything on some sort of device. In fact, I have maybe half my CDs on a 1TB micro SD card, which I slot into my phone. But I also want the CDs themselves. I have no desire for

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

Take a look.

RIch

Only the price which is $791 as against $179. A big difference.

Ray Hall, Taree

The OP paid "over $300" for his, presumably some time ago. The one you linked to is garbage (like all the ones I have). The one I linked is solid oak, it says, hence the price. Also yours had the trim molding that he explicitly said he doesn't one.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Clarke@21:1/5 to Peter on Fri Feb 3 06:34:33 2023
    On Friday, February 3, 2023 at 10:15:00 AM UTC+11, Peter wrote:

Just like the world of CD players, I'm afraid. I've also read that BluRay discs are on their way out. The time may well come when the Katy Perry brigade buy vinyl, but the rest of us buy downloads or stream, and buy DVDs of classic cinema that doesn't
    get onto the streaming services, e.g. the crime films of Jean-Pierre Melville, which I'm still trying to work out after umpteen viewings; the fact that nearly all his male characters wear the same kinds of trench coats and hats doesn't help. Even DVDs
    may become a means of transporting video from publisher to viewer (who will then rip the disc) rather than a permanent medium.

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 3 16:05:27 2023
    Aside from the price, two problems in ascending order: it's double width, and unless I live a lot longer and get even more obsessed, I won't need the capacity; and the store is shuttered until March, they say, and I suspect longer.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pluted Pup@21:1/5 to Andrew Clarke on Fri Feb 3 15:35:17 2023
    On Fri, 03 Feb 2023 06:34:33 -0800, Andrew Clarke wrote:

Just like the world of CD players, I'm afraid. I've also read that BluRay discs are on their way out. The time may well come when the Katy Perry brigade buy vinyl, but the rest of us buy downloads or stream, and buy DVDs of classic cinema that doesn't
    get onto the streaming services, e.g. the crime films of Jean-Pierre Melville, which I'm still trying to work out after umpteen viewings; the fact that nearly all his male characters wear the same kinds of trench coats and hats doesn't help. Even DVDs
    may become a means of transporting video from publisher to viewer (who will then rip the disc) rather than a permanent medium.

You might be happy with that if you are a "HIP" advocate. Older
    recordings are less likely to be HIP so throwing away the old
    and sticking with the new is a way to keep "relevant". But
    not all of us believe that newer is always better.

I bought a new component CD Player recently, so they still exist.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From raymond.hallbear1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Pluted Pup on Fri Feb 3 17:16:11 2023
    On Saturday, 4 February 2023 at 10:35:26 UTC+11, Pluted Pup wrote:

Just like the world of CD players, I'm afraid. I've also read that BluRay discs are on their way out. The time may well come when the Katy Perry brigade buy vinyl, but the rest of us buy downloads or stream, and buy DVDs of classic cinema that doesn'
    t get onto the streaming services, e.g. the crime films of Jean-Pierre Melville, which I'm still trying to work out after umpteen viewings; the fact that nearly all his male characters wear the same kinds of trench coats and hats doesn't help. Even DVDs

Yes they still do.

Also, there is no way I'm going to stop a nearly 40 year old physical CD habit, when the 40 years represents 40 years of painstaking research, locating, finding reviews, sampling, refining, etc., to suddenly suit a vogue to download the present pile of
    stuff, when I have it already, with booklets and memories.

Think of all the Dude, Makela and Rattle efforts I haven't got, and colour me extremely lucky.

Ray Hall, Taree

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Clarke@21:1/5 to raymond....@gmail.com on Fri Feb 3 20:06:03 2023
    On Saturday, February 4, 2023 at 12:16:14 PM UTC+11, raymond....@gmail.com wrote:
    On Saturday, 4 February 2023 at 10:35:26 UTC+11, Pluted Pup wrote:

Just like the world of CD players, I'm afraid. I've also read that BluRay discs are on their way out. The time may well come when the Katy Perry brigade buy vinyl, but the rest of us buy downloads or stream, and buy DVDs of classic cinema that
    doesn't get onto the streaming services, e.g. the crime films of Jean-Pierre Melville, which I'm still trying to work out after umpteen viewings; the fact that nearly all his male characters wear the same kinds of trench coats and hats doesn't help. Even
    DVDs may become a means of transporting video from publisher to viewer (who will then rip the disc) rather than a permanent medium.

Yes they still do.

Also, there is no way I'm going to stop a nearly 40 year old physical CD habit, when the 40 years represents 40 years of painstaking research, locating, finding reviews, sampling, refining, etc., to suddenly suit a vogue to download the present pile of
    stuff, when I have it already, with booklets and memories.

Think of all the Dude, Makela and Rattle efforts I haven't got, and colour me extremely lucky.

Ray Hall, Taree

Again, the format - physical CD or digital file - doesn't correspond with the age - recent or otherwise - of the recording. It's in many ways a matter of convenience. If you have enough room in your house for 15,000 CDs and you can find appropriate
    shelving, go ahead. I haven't got room in our little 3 bedroom townhouse for 1,000 CDs without provoking a walkout. So I smiled sweetly at my spouse, and in response to a complaint about the lack of wall space, suggested that i could get rid of most of
    my CDs and shelving, but it would cost us. She was quite happy for me to do this of course, so I downloaded dbPowerAmp, a cheap laptop, an external hard drive, the current version of JRiver Media Centre and set to work (the DVD ripping followed on
    immediately). I found in the course of doing this that there were certain unforeseen advantages. One is that I can store stuff like Haydn symphonies and Scarlatti sonatas in numerical order, without having to look through umpteen CDs to find the one I
    want, or to keep a separate index. Another is the ability to rearrange my collection without risking lower back problems. A third is the ease of storing backup copies on something like Google Drive. A fourth, as I get older, is the ability to find and
    play music without having to find the physical disc, which may or may not be where I found it last Wednesday. And I can play stuff on the bus or in doctor's waiting-rooms if I want to.

As for the conductors you mention, I can see Dudamel and Rattle in the Digital Concert Hall, while as far as I know, Makela's only recording is the Sibelius cycle which I bought as a download from Presto Music.

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Clarke@21:1/5 to Pluted Pup on Fri Feb 3 19:45:14 2023
    On Saturday, February 4, 2023 at 10:35:26 AM UTC+11, Pluted Pup wrote:

Just like the world of CD players, I'm afraid. I've also read that BluRay discs are on their way out. The time may well come when the Katy Perry brigade buy vinyl, but the rest of us buy downloads or stream, and buy DVDs of classic cinema that doesn'
    t get onto the streaming services, e.g. the crime films of Jean-Pierre Melville, which I'm still trying to work out after umpteen viewings; the fact that nearly all his male characters wear the same kinds of trench coats and hats doesn't help. Even DVDs

Pup (or may I call you Pluted?) I think you might be confusing new releases with new media. If you have prized CDs of old recordings, you rip them and store the original. If eClassical and Presto Music etc. have reissues of old recordings reissued on CD
    you can buy either the physical CD itself or a download. Sometimes Presto have downloads of older CDs which are long out of print, but haven't bothered, no doubt for economic reasons, to reissue these recordings as physical discs.

So I bought the Klemperer Brahms cycle as downloads. I bought Les Siecles' Pictures at an Exhibition as downloads too. All the CDs I acquired before about 2007 I ripped with proprietary software on my desktop.

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Clarke@21:1/5 to Peter on Fri Feb 3 20:09:46 2023
    On Saturday, February 4, 2023 at 11:05:30 AM UTC+11, Peter wrote:
    Aside from the price, two problems in ascending order: it's double width, and unless I live a lot longer and get even more obsessed, I won't need the capacity; and the store is shuttered until March, they say, and I suspect longer.

Meanwhile, the physical CDs and DVDs I've kept are on old melamine book shelving with extra shelves added to increase capacity. They're in the garage ...

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul Alsing@21:1/5 to andrewc...@gmail.com on Fri Feb 3 20:22:03 2023
    On Friday, February 3, 2023 at 8:06:06 PM UTC-8, andrewc...@gmail.com wrote:

... so I downloaded dbPowerAmp, a cheap laptop, an external hard drive, the current version of JRiver Media Centre and set to work (the DVD ripping followed on immediately). I found in the course of doing this that there were certain unforeseen
    advantages. One is that I can store stuff like Haydn symphonies and Scarlatti sonatas in numerical order, without having to look through umpteen CDs to find the one I want, or to keep a separate index. Another is the ability to rearrange my collection
    without risking lower back problems. A third is the ease of storing backup copies on something like Google Drive. A fourth, as I get older, is the ability to find and play music without having to find the physical disc, which may or may not be where I
    found it last Wednesday. And I can play stuff on the bus or in doctor's waiting-rooms if I want to.

I do the same thing... but I am pretty much paranoid about my drive failing, or Google Drive failing... so I have several external drives that are copies, and I keep one of them off-site (in the car) at all times. This helps me to sleep at night... and I
    update all drives on a regular schedule so that any losses will be minimal.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Clarke@21:1/5 to pnal...@gmail.com on Sat Feb 4 02:08:10 2023
    On Saturday, February 4, 2023 at 3:22:06 PM UTC+11, pnal...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Friday, February 3, 2023 at 8:06:06 PM UTC-8, andrewc...@gmail.com wrote:

... so I downloaded dbPowerAmp, a cheap laptop, an external hard drive, the current version of JRiver Media Centre and set to work (the DVD ripping followed on immediately). I found in the course of doing this that there were certain unforeseen
    advantages. One is that I can store stuff like Haydn symphonies and Scarlatti sonatas in numerical order, without having to look through umpteen CDs to find the one I want, or to keep a separate index. Another is the ability to rearrange my collection
    without risking lower back problems. A third is the ease of storing backup copies on something like Google Drive. A fourth, as I get older, is the ability to find and play music without having to find the physical disc, which may or may not be where I
    found it last Wednesday. And I can play stuff on the bus or in doctor's waiting-rooms if I want to.

I do the same thing... but I am pretty much paranoid about my drive failing, or Google Drive failing... so I have several external drives that are copies, and I keep one of them off-site (in the car) at all times. This helps me to sleep at night... and
    I update all drives on a regular schedule so that any losses will be minimal.

Hard drives can and do fail, so you're being wise. I keep a spare hard drive myself. I think you're being a bit over-anxious about Google Drive, although downloading is very much a bit-by-bit process. Everything is zipped automatically beforehand, and
    the files that are downloaded are a bit haphazard ...

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From James Goodzeit@21:1/5 to Andy Evans on Sat Feb 4 10:43:58 2023
    On Tuesday, January 31, 2023 at 6:01:15 AM UTC-5, Andy Evans wrote:

I think some people here would need an AWS Snowmobile to handle the storage for their collections.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05