• Les Six revisited.

From Andrew Clarke@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jan 27 20:43:00 2023
    "Une force tragique bluffante

C’est cette histoire aussi brève que mythique que la Philharmonie de Paris s’efforcera de raconter en musique, dès ce soir et jusqu’à dimanche, dans un vaste cycle consacré aux soirées des Six au Bœuf sur le Toit… Mais aussi à leurs
    trajectoires singulières.

Si la journée de dimanche sera consacrée à l’aventure collective du groupe, que l’après-midi de samedi donnera à voir et entendre, avec le programmatique Parade de Cocteau et Satie, Le Bœuf sur le toit de Milhaud par des étudiants et musiciens
    amateurs de toute l’Île-de-France, entourés des apprentis de l’Académie Fratellini, l’ouverture de ce soir est, elle, consacrée à Germaine Tailleferre. Celle que Satie nommait sa «sœur en musique». Et que l’Orchestre de chambre de Paris s
    efforcera de faire revivre le temps d’un concert mis en espace, avec la soprano Marie Perbost.

Mais le sommet du cycle sera sans conteste la version concert de La Voix humaine par Véronique Gens, demain soir. La soprano vient en effet de livrer au disque, chez Alpha, une magistrale version du monodrame de Poulenc et Cocteau. Œuvre d’une
    modernité farouche, figurant une femme quittée par son amant au téléphone. Elle y est bouleversante de naturel et d’abandon. Servie par les couleurs d’une extraordinaire richesse de l’Orchestre national de Lille dirigé par Alexandre Bloch (qu
    elle retrouvera pour cette version concert). Tour à tour tendre et acéré. Mélange d’articulations tranchantes, de silences éloquents et d’hypersensibilité extatique."

- Le Figaro.

I must buy the new recording of "La voix humaine" with Veronique Gens. Why Melmoth insists on talking about silly old pianos when he is surrounded by so many beautiful French sopranos is beyond my comprehension.

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to andrewc...@gmail.com on Fri Jan 27 20:54:55 2023
    On Friday, January 27, 2023 at 8:43:03 PM UTC-8, andrewc...@gmail.com wrote:

Why Melmoth insists on talking about silly old
    pianos when he is surrounded by so many
    beautiful French sopranos is beyond my
    comprehension.

Melmoth is a senile retired country vet
    who could not possibly understand La
    Vache qui Rit or Le Bœuf sur le toit. He
    only cares about Arrau, Scherchen, Yaks
    and Monteux.

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Clarke@21:1/5 to dan....@gmail.com on Fri Jan 27 21:37:46 2023
    On Saturday, January 28, 2023 at 3:54:57 PM UTC+11, dan....@gmail.com wrote:

comprehension.

and Monteux.

"I get no kicks from a plane,
    Flying too high with some bull in the sky
    Is my idea of nothing to do ... "

Speaking of cheese, there seem to be problems in Philadelphia ...

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Clarke@21:1/5 to dan....@gmail.com on Fri Jan 27 22:47:16 2023
    On Saturday, January 28, 2023 at 5:24:38 PM UTC+11, dan....@gmail.com wrote:
    On Friday, January 27, 2023 at 9:37:48 PM UTC-8, andrewc...@gmail.com wrote:

comprehension.

and Monteux.

Flying too high with some bull in the
    sky Is my idea of nothing to do ... "

Speaking of cheese, there seem
    to be problems in Philadelphia ...
    Philadelphia is the quintessential
    problem.

dk

"If there’s an underlying theme to the new season, it’s about building on the orchestra’s recent practice of “getting that other perspective that is clear was lost to history into the orchestral programming,” said Matías Tarnopolsky, president
    and CEO of the Philadelphia Orchestra and Kimmel Center, Inc.

That perspective comes through composers like Florence Price, William Grant Still, Valerie Coleman, Anna Clyne, Jimmy López Bellido, Alma Mahler, and others — all represented by works in 2023-24.

“It’s about taking a step back and thinking: If the traditions of great classical music had been different from day one, what would the programming look like today? We’re trying to make sure that this is the last generation talking about a more
    inclusive approach to programming and actually instead living it,” Tarnopolsky said.

Still facing soft demand precipitated by the pandemic, the orchestra is lowering the average subscription price in 2023-24 a smidge to $68.39 per ticket — $4.72 lower than the current season. It is eliminating one of its three Thursday night concert
    series — resulting in an overall reduction in subscription concerts to 66 from 72.

“We are being very sensitive to the economic realities of this post-COVID moment,” he said, making the reduction “based on the economics of running the orchestra.”

- The Philadelphia Inquirer

I read somewhere that the orchestra has financial problems, reduced attendances, reduced endowments, but as I can't find the article again, perhaps it's old news. They're certainly decided to explore new verizons, Personally, I can't wait to hear "Gropin'
    Gropi at the Bau-Bau-Haus", "Goodbye, Gussi, Goodbye" and "Oskar, Oskar, it's time for a Tosca" with the original instrumentation. If they can find a sarrusophone player, that is.

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to andrewc...@gmail.com on Fri Jan 27 22:24:35 2023
    On Friday, January 27, 2023 at 9:37:48 PM UTC-8, andrewc...@gmail.com wrote:

comprehension.

and Monteux.

Flying too high with some bull in the
    sky Is my idea of nothing to do ... "

Speaking of cheese, there seem
    to be problems in Philadelphia ...

Philadelphia is the quintessential
    problem.

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MELMOTH@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jan 28 08:27:05 2023
    Le 28/01/2023, Andrew Clarke a suppos :
    I must buy the new recording of "La voix humaine" with Veronique Gens. Why Melmoth insists on talking about silly old pianos when he is surrounded by so many beautiful French sopranos is beyond my comprehension.

Many thanks to you for loving and honoring France as you do, dear
    friend...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andy Evans@21:1/5 to MELMOTH on Sat Jan 28 02:45:54 2023
    On Saturday, 28 January 2023 at 07:27:10 UTC, MELMOTH wrote:

Many thanks to you for loving and honoring France as you do, dear friend...

We all love France!

But what "Les Six" needs is a bit more pizzazz, like Enid Blyton's "Famous Five" or "Secret Seven"

Any suggestions for "The xxxx Six"?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Clarke@21:1/5 to Andy Evans on Sat Jan 28 04:34:47 2023
    On Saturday, January 28, 2023 at 9:45:57 PM UTC+11, Andy Evans wrote:
    On Saturday, 28 January 2023 at 07:27:10 UTC, MELMOTH wrote:

Many thanks to you for loving and honoring France as you do, dear friend...
    We all love France!

But what "Les Six" needs is a bit more pizzazz, like Enid Blyton's "Famous Five" or "Secret Seven"

Any suggestions for "The xxxx Six"?

Le Seizieme Six? Neuilly, Auteuil, Passy; Germaine Tailleferre reading Mme Figaro; Jean Cocteau and Jean Marais exquisitely dressed; Jean Sablon singing "'J'attendrai" ...

Andrew Clarke
    on ne peut plus bcbg ....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andy Evans@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jan 28 10:31:00 2023
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iqZ-lyUsNM

Le Bœuf sur le toit - Darius Milhaud, with the delightful Alondra de la Parra and L'Orchestre de Paris.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Clarke@21:1/5 to Andy Evans on Sat Jan 28 13:43:29 2023
    On Sunday, January 29, 2023 at 5:31:03 AM UTC+11, Andy Evans wrote:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iqZ-lyUsNM

Le Bœuf sur le toit - Darius Milhaud, with the delightful Alondra de la Parra and L'Orchestre de Paris.

Vachement sympa!

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05