• Re: "Now record companies are run by lawyers and accountants. The shift

From Andrew Clarke@21:1/5 to gggg gggg on Sat Jan 21 04:35:19 2023
    On Saturday, January 21, 2023 at 4:26:13 AM UTC+11, gggg gggg wrote:
    Does that also apply to classical music recording companies?:

- When it all started, record companies - and there were many of them, and this was a good thing - were run by people who loved records, people like Ahmet Ertegun, who ran Atlantic Records, who were record collectors. They got in it because they loved
    music...Now record companies are run by lawyers and accountants. The shift from the one to the other was definitely related to when the takes started to get big.. The people who run record companies now wouldn't know a song if it flew up their nose and
    died. They haven't a clue, and they don't care. You tell them that, and they go, Yeah? So, your point is?

David Crosby: 1941 - 2023

Presumably this does not also to the Harmonia Mundis, the BISs, the Hyperions, the Alphas etc., God bless 'em. Naxos, once a very bright star in the firmament, seems to be concentrating on internet radio and other services, rather than making recordings,
    many of which feature obscure music played by even more obscure ensembles, although the Danish Brahms cycle with Adam Fischer came from them.
    Then of course there are the orchestra's own recordings, e.g. Halle and LSO Live; Tafelmusik also put out some interesting recordings, although the last time I looked, that side of their operation appeared to be moribund.

I have the impression that actually making recordings is a lot easier these days: all you need is an acoustically adequate building, like a church, and a couple of decent sound engineers. I imagine that the biggest problem would be distribution and
    marketing.

And of course, there's Bandcamp.

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Marc S@21:1/5 to gggg gggg on Sat Jan 21 05:18:45 2023
    gggg gggg schrieb am Freitag, 20. Januar 2023 um 18:26:13 UTC+1:

- When it all started, record companies - and there were many of them, and this was a good thing - were run by people who loved records, people like Ahmet Ertegun, who ran Atlantic Records, who were record collectors. They got in it because they loved
    music...Now record companies are run by lawyers and accountants. The shift from the one to the other was definitely related to when the takes started to get big.. The people who run record companies now wouldn't know a song if it flew up their nose and
    died. They haven't a clue, and they don't care. You tell them that, and they go, Yeah? So, your point is?

Read up on Adorno: Culture Industry.

Didn't Crosby also sing anti-vietnam songs? Listen to what Adorno has to say about popular music and this specific aspect of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-njxKF8CkoU

Never really liked Crosby etc. The only song of Neil Young I liked when I was younger was "Cortez the Killer": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX9k9aoX6gk
    And a cover from said song by a band I thought was interesting, but never really liked wholly "Slint": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQlTesaKJr4

I prefered Lou Reed by miles... I thought Neil Young's tribute to Lou Reed was quite nice though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nVof7cGZyk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc S@21:1/5 to Marc S on Sat Jan 21 05:30:19 2023
    Marc S schrieb am Samstag, 21. Januar 2023 um 14:18:47 UTC+1:
    gggg gggg schrieb am Freitag, 20. Januar 2023 um 18:26:13 UTC+1:

- When it all started, record companies - and there were many of them, and this was a good thing - were run by people who loved records, people like Ahmet Ertegun, who ran Atlantic Records, who were record collectors. They got in it because they
    loved music...Now record companies are run by lawyers and accountants. The shift from the one to the other was definitely related to when the takes started to get big.. The people who run record companies now wouldn't know a song if it flew up their nose
    and died. They haven't a clue, and they don't care. You tell them that, and they go, Yeah? So, your point is?

Read up on Adorno: Culture Industry.

Didn't Crosby also sing anti-vietnam songs? Listen to what Adorno has to say about popular music and this specific aspect of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-njxKF8CkoU

Never really liked Crosby etc. The only song of Neil Young I liked when I was younger was "Cortez the Killer": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX9k9aoX6gk
    And a cover from said song by a band I thought was interesting, but never really liked wholly "Slint": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQlTesaKJr4

I prefered Lou Reed by miles... I thought Neil Young's tribute to Lou Reed was quite nice though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nVof7cGZyk

Anybody know Terry Reid? Oh, how I loved one of his songs (Seed of memory), when I was younger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8RTGhe4nzU

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pluted Pup@21:1/5 to Andrew Clarke on Sat Jan 21 12:30:14 2023
    On Sat, 21 Jan 2023 04:35:19 -0800, Andrew Clarke wrote:

- When it all started, record companies - and there were many of them, and this was a good thing - were run by people who loved records, people like Ahmet Ertegun, who ran Atlantic Records, who were record collectors. They got in it because they
    loved music...Now record companies are run by lawyers and accountants. The shift from the one to the other was definitely related to when the takes started to get big.. The people who run record companies now wouldn't know a song if it flew up their nose
    and died. They haven't a clue, and they don't care. You tell them that, and they go, Yeah? So, your point is?

Presumably this does not also to the Harmonia Mundis, the BISs, the Hyperions, the Alphas etc., God bless 'em. Naxos, once a very bright star in the firmament, seems to be concentrating on internet radio and other services, rather than making
    recordings, many of which feature obscure music played by even more obscure ensembles, although the Danish Brahms cycle with Adam Fischer came from them.

Record companies that keep their recordings in print are
    great, better than the three major labels. Sony, Universal
    and Warner continue their "marketing strategy" of keeping most
    of their catalogs unavailable at any given moment of time.
    Those big box sets are usually only briefly available!

Then of course there are the orchestra's own recordings, e.g. Halle and LSO Live; Tafelmusik also put out some interesting recordings, although the last time I looked, that side of their operation appeared to be moribund.

I have the impression that actually making recordings is a lot easier these days: all you need is an acoustically adequate building, like a church, and a couple of decent sound engineers. I imagine that the biggest problem would be distribution and
    marketing.

Bandcamp.com also sells CDs.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Clarke@21:1/5 to Pluted Pup on Sat Jan 21 15:33:21 2023
    On Sunday, January 22, 2023 at 7:30:24 AM UTC+11, Pluted Pup wrote:
    On Sat, 21 Jan 2023 04:35:19 -0800, Andrew Clarke wrote:

Presumably this does not also to the Harmonia Mundis, the BISs, the Hyperions, the Alphas etc., God bless 'em. Naxos, once a very bright star in the firmament, seems to be concentrating on internet radio and other services, rather than making
    recordings, many of which feature obscure music played by even more obscure ensembles, although the Danish Brahms cycle with Adam Fischer came from them.
    Record companies that keep their recordings in print are
    great, better than the three major labels. Sony, Universal
    and Warner continue their "marketing strategy" of keeping most
    of their catalogs unavailable at any given moment of time.
    Those big box sets are usually only briefly available!

marketing.

Bandcamp.com also sells CDs.

It would be interesting to know how often classical downloads are deleted from the databases of companies like eClassical or Presto. Theoretically, anything there never goes out of print. I suppose that if it's stuff nobody's bought in ten years - or
    nobody's bought at all - it gets deleted to save disk space.

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05