• Leading candates for MD openings

From mswdesign@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jan 8 12:09:40 2023
    Staatskapelle Berlin, NY Phil and the CSO- all are looking for new leaders. Now there is nothing stopping orchestras from bring onboard leaders who are overcommitted (Makela), but there are some names out there who are either underemployed or ripe for a
    major position:

Dudamel - mentioned in the NY Times as the leading choice for New York, this seems like a great match- a conductor who is big on personality, a "name". He's not a favorite of mine for the central rep.
    Thielemann - where is the best place for Christian's sonic sludge? Berlin, of course.
    Honeck - you'd think he's going somewhere bigger, but he hasn't built a fan following here in Chicago the way Zweden did. The one person I know in the orchestra doesn't care for him.
    Zweden - he still seems underemployed to me, and if he ends up in Chicago that won't surprise me at all. To me he's pretty hit-and-miss, but in pieces where he can be direct and less about phrasing and rubato, the results can be very strong. I wouldn't
    mind him here at all.
    Andreas Orozco-Estrada - he seems underemployed at the momen. I've liked him in nearly everything I've heard him do.
    Vlad Jorowski - not sure if he's a fit for any of these openings, but he seems underutilized at the moment

Who else deserves consideration?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Andrew Clarke@21:1/5 to mswd...@gmail.com on Sun Jan 8 13:51:53 2023
    On Monday, January 9, 2023 at 7:09:43 AM UTC+11, mswd...@gmail.com wrote:
    Staatskapelle Berlin, NY Phil and the CSO- all are looking for new leaders. Now there is nothing stopping orchestras from bring onboard leaders who are overcommitted (Makela), but there are some names out there who are either underemployed or ripe for
    a major position:

Dudamel - mentioned in the NY Times as the leading choice for New York, this seems like a great match- a conductor who is big on personality, a "name". He's not a favorite of mine for the central rep.
    Thielemann - where is the best place for Christian's sonic sludge? Berlin, of course.
    Honeck - you'd think he's going somewhere bigger, but he hasn't built a fan following here in Chicago the way Zweden did. The one person I know in the orchestra doesn't care for him.
    Zweden - he still seems underemployed to me, and if he ends up in Chicago that won't surprise me at all. To me he's pretty hit-and-miss, but in pieces where he can be direct and less about phrasing and rubato, the results can be very strong. I wouldn't
    mind him here at all.
    Andreas Orozco-Estrada - he seems underemployed at the momen. I've liked him in nearly everything I've heard him do.
    Vlad Jorowski - not sure if he's a fit for any of these openings, but he seems underutilized at the moment

Perhaps, as suggested in an earlier thread, these bands should follow the lead of the Vienna Phil and abolish the position of MD entirely? There seem to be so few half-decent conductors around, according to your estimation, that nobody really qualifies
    for the job anyway.

I listen to the Berlin Phil quite a lot these days, and I don't think they produce sonic sludge anymore. Dudamel reminds me of one of those doowop songs ...

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to mswd...@gmail.com on Sun Jan 8 14:21:38 2023
    On Sunday, January 8, 2023 at 12:09:43 PM UTC-8, mswd...@gmail.com wrote:
    Staatskapelle Berlin, NY Phil and the CSO- all are looking for new leaders. Now there is nothing stopping orchestras from bring onboard leaders who are overcommitted (Makela), but there are some names out there who are either underemployed or ripe for
    a major position:

mind him here at all.

Tomomi Nishimoto is better than
    all those listed above. And did you
    notice you did not mention any
    women?

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Harper@21:1/5 to mswd...@gmail.com on Sun Jan 8 14:41:29 2023
    On 1/8/23 12:09 PM, mswd...@gmail.com wrote:
    a major position:

mind him here at all.

I suspect Dan will say Tomomi Nishimoto, and based on what I've heard I wouldn't argue with him. Probably not a big enough 'name' for any of
    those posts, but maybe it's time to dispense with that.

Bob Harper

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Harper@21:1/5 to Dan Koren on Sun Jan 8 14:48:06 2023
    On 1/8/23 2:21 PM, Dan Koren wrote:
    a major position:

Zweden - he still seems underemployed to me, and if he ends up in Chicago that won't surprise me at all. To me he's pretty hit-and-miss, but in pieces where he can be direct and less about phrasing and rubato, the results can be very strong. I wouldn'
    t mind him here at all.

women?

dk

Dan, I had not seen your post--20 minutes ahead of mine. Not sure about
    the 'all'--but she's good. Very good.

Bob Harper

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Berger@21:1/5 to Dan Koren on Sun Jan 8 18:52:37 2023
    On 1/8/2023 5:21 PM, Dan Koren wrote:
    a major position:

Zweden - he still seems underemployed to me, and if he ends up in Chicago that won't surprise me at all. To me he's pretty hit-and-miss, but in pieces where he can be direct and less about phrasing and rubato, the results can be very strong. I wouldn'
    t mind him here at all.

women?

dk

Although she has considerable experience conducting in Russia and Europe, is she actually actively conducting now?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to Bob Harper on Sun Jan 8 16:20:33 2023
    On Sunday, January 8, 2023 at 2:48:10 PM UTC-8, Bob Harper wrote:
    On 1/8/23 2:21 PM, Dan Koren wrote:

women?

Dan, I had not seen your post--20
    minutes ahead of mine. Not sure
    about the 'all'--but she's good.
    Very good.

Show me anyone better. Please
    not that dude Dudamel! ;-)

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mswdesign@gmail.com@21:1/5 to dan....@gmail.com on Sun Jan 8 20:05:33 2023
    On Sunday, January 8, 2023 at 4:21:41 PM UTC-6, dan....@gmail.com wrote:
    women?
    dk

I didn't really notice because I don't know any women who would be considered "leading candidates". Perhaps that's not giving Mirga enough credit- she's going to be free, and she's a star of sorts. And Simone Young icould be a decent choice in Berlin. I
    saw her do Wagner bits here with the CSO and the concert was fantastic. Se was supposed to do a Mahler 7 the following season, but it was cancelled due to COVID. I see Susanna Mälkki is also free. That said, I've really not heard a lot of recordings
    from any of them, so they didn't come to mind. But I know I've heard enough of Thielemann and Dudamel that any of them would be preferable. Alsop is in charge at Ravinia yest I still haven't heard her conduct.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to mswd...@gmail.com on Sun Jan 8 21:27:40 2023
    On Sunday, January 8, 2023 at 8:05:36 PM UTC-8, mswd...@gmail.com wrote:
    women?

I didn't really notice because I don't
    know any women who would be
    considered "leading candidates".

Han-Na Chang:

https://www.youtube.com/@HanNaChangMusic

and there are more.

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Clarke@21:1/5 to Andrew Clarke on Sun Jan 8 23:58:16 2023
    On Monday, January 9, 2023 at 8:51:55 AM UTC+11, Andrew Clarke wrote:
    Staatskapelle Berlin, NY Phil and the CSO- all are looking for new leaders. Now there is nothing stopping orchestras from bring onboard leaders who are overcommitted (Makela), but there are some names out there who are either underemployed or ripe
    for a major position:

t mind him here at all.

Perhaps, as suggested in an earlier thread, these bands should follow the lead of the Vienna Phil and abolish the position of MD entirely? There seem to be so few half-decent conductors around, according to your estimation, that nobody really qualifies
    for the job anyway.

I listen to the Berlin Phil quite a lot these days, and I don't think they produce sonic sludge anymore. Dudamel reminds me of one of those doowop songs ...

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

And of course, I got my Berlin orchestras muddled up in a mental sludge of my own. It's been a hot day in Canberra. Meanwhile, JoAnn Falletta and Marin Alsop were recently included in a list of the 30 greatest living conductors. I believe Halle Berry is
    going to Manchester.

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Herman@21:1/5 to mswd...@gmail.com on Mon Jan 9 00:53:59 2023
    On Monday, January 9, 2023 at 5:05:36 AM UTC+1, mswd...@gmail.com wrote:

That said, I've really not heard a lot of recordings from any of them, so they didn't come to mind.

Orchestras don't choose a conductor based on recordings.
    Recordings are artificial products that say very little about what a conductor is like to work with.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andy Evans@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jan 9 01:46:45 2023
    There may be also some leading vocalists and instrumentalists who want to turn to conducting later in life.

I know one pianist turned conductor who put the change down to fear of forgetting the music onstage later on in life as more memory "incidents" started to accumulate. Fear real or imagined - it's still fear. Musicians can get very anxious about going
    onstage and make career decisions accordingly.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Herman@21:1/5 to Andy Evans on Mon Jan 9 02:16:14 2023
    On Monday, January 9, 2023 at 10:46:48 AM UTC+1, Andy Evans wrote:
    There may be also some leading vocalists and instrumentalists who want to turn to conducting later in life.

I know one pianist turned conductor who put the change down to fear of forgetting the music onstage later on in life as more memory "incidents" started to accumulate. Fear real or imagined - it's still fear. Musicians can get very anxious about going

However, in such a case the musician has to learn an entirely new repertoire when he or she is fifty years old and he (or she) will turn into one of those conductors whose face is buried in the score most of the time.

Orchestras don't like this. Good conductors don't need the score much during the performance.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andy Evans@21:1/5 to Herman on Mon Jan 9 02:45:21 2023
    On Monday, 9 January 2023 at 10:16:17 UTC, Herman wrote:

However, in such a case the musician has to learn an entirely new repertoire when he or she is fifty years old and he (or she) will turn into one of those conductors whose face is buried in the score most of the time.

Orchestras don't like this. Good conductors don't need the score much during the performance.

I'm not saying instrumentalists will have their heads buried in the score - much of the fear of memory lapses is imagined. Just having the score there is reassuring. Richter used to take scores onto the platform later in life for just that reason. But
    his reputation was such that he could. To another younger pianist "taking the score onto the platform in front of the Berlin PO would be like dropping your pants in public..." (actual quote).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mswdesign@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Herman on Mon Jan 9 04:52:17 2023
    On Monday, January 9, 2023 at 2:54:02 AM UTC-6, Herman wrote:

That said, I've really not heard a lot of recordings from any of them, so they didn't come to mind.
    Recordings are artificial products that say very little about what a conductor is like to work with.

No doubt. They're my primary resource, so I should not be included on any decision committee.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to Andy Evans on Mon Jan 9 09:38:25 2023
    On Monday, January 9, 2023 at 1:46:48 AM UTC-8, Andy Evans wrote:

There may be also some leading vocalists and
    instrumentalists who want to turn to conducting
    later in life.

I know one pianist turned conductor who put the
    change down to fear of forgetting the music
    onstage later on in life as more memory
    "incidents" started to accumulate. Fear real or
    imagined - it's still fear. Musicians can get very
    anxious about going onstage and make career
    decisions accordingly.

Certainly, however one should not ignore the
    financial motives. Conductors can earn more
    than soloists, except perhaps the top opera
    singers.

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gggg gggg@21:1/5 to Herman on Mon Jan 9 10:05:43 2023
    On Monday, January 9, 2023 at 2:16:17 AM UTC-8, Herman wrote:

The following was said of Reiner:

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&hl=en&q=%22he+has+the+score+in+his+head+and+not+his+head+in+the+score.%22

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Herman@21:1/5 to dan....@gmail.com on Mon Jan 9 10:47:15 2023
    On Monday, January 9, 2023 at 6:38:28 PM UTC+1, dan....@gmail.com wrote:

later in life.

decisions accordingly.
    singers.

dk

More ignorant nonsense.

TOP conductors can earn more than soloists, but you don't become a top conductor overnight, and most never do.

If you're in front of an orchestra, if you're only there because you believe wagging a baton gets more money than playing the piano, the orchestra will not invite you back.

You can't fake it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Berger@21:1/5 to Herman on Mon Jan 9 14:51:19 2023
    On 1/9/2023 1:47 PM, Herman wrote:
    On Monday, January 9, 2023 at 6:38:28 PM UTC+1, dan....@gmail.com wrote:

later in life.

decisions accordingly.
    singers.

dk

More ignorant nonsense.

TOP conductors can earn more than soloists, but you don't become a top conductor overnight, and most never do.

If you're in front of an orchestra, if you're only there because you believe wagging a baton gets more money than playing the piano, the orchestra will not invite you back.

You can't fake it.

Once again, your hatred of Dan prevents you from understanding simple English. He did not, as you suggest, say that any conductor was "only there" for the money. He said it as a factor not to be overlooked.

I'm no expert on the history of how musicians become conductors, but clearly some do this quite early in their careers and others much later. There are lots of reasons one can imagine leading a person to conduct: insufficient or declining skill as a
    soloist, wanting to boss people around, making more money, wanting to contribute in a certain way, who knows what else?

Do people become doctors to make money or to "help people"?" It's stupid question.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Herman@21:1/5 to Frank Berger on Mon Jan 9 12:39:56 2023
    On Monday, January 9, 2023 at 8:51:27 PM UTC+1, Frank Berger wrote:
    There are lots of reasons one can imagine leading a person to conduct: insufficient or declining skill as a soloist, wanting to boss people around, making more money, wanting to contribute in a certain way, who knows what else?

I have a wild wild suggestion, Frank, that apparently never entered your mind: people do this because they want to make music.

And that's why protested before. This cynical way of suggesting people have bad motives is soo unpleasant.

People who are in it for the money go in finance rather than classical music.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc S@21:1/5 to Herman on Mon Jan 9 13:34:50 2023
    Herman schrieb am Montag, 9. Januar 2023 um 21:39:59 UTC+1:
    There are lots of reasons one can imagine leading a person to conduct: insufficient or declining skill as a soloist, wanting to boss people around, making more money, wanting to contribute in a certain way, who knows what else?
    I have a wild wild suggestion, Frank, that apparently never entered your mind: people do this because they want to make music.

And that's why protested before. This cynical way of suggesting people have bad motives is soo unpleasant.

Didn't you just recently suggest that Dan was trying to manipulate people, because he didn't name the musicians in his uploads? A whole lot of a projection going on here ;)

You really are one fucked up guy - just as Todd btw ;D

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Todd M. McComb@21:1/5 to herstx@yahoo.com on Mon Jan 9 21:25:50 2023
    In article <1678d404-9ff1-456c-ab95-5c004efb60ben@googlegroups.com>,
    Herman <herstx@yahoo.com> wrote:
    People who are in it for the money go in finance rather than
    classical music.

If they have any sense....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Berger@21:1/5 to Herman on Mon Jan 9 17:42:04 2023
    On 1/9/2023 3:39 PM, Herman wrote:

Bad argument. There are lots of ways to make music without conducting.

Wanting to make money is not a bad motive.

Lots of people go into finance and fail. And Law and Medicine and anything else. You make it sound like all you have to do is go into finance and become rich. LOL!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From raymond.hallbear1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Herman on Mon Jan 9 15:11:09 2023
    On Tuesday, 10 January 2023 at 07:39:59 UTC+11, Herman wrote:

Bringing money into the equation sullies the argument. People go into conducting primarily because they have a desire to control how music is played. If you haven't the aptitude for it, any good orchestra will sniff it out after 10 minutes. In addition,
    the responsibility for performance levels is high.

I would suggest going into finance has no similarity to the need to control music performance. Whether one becomes good at finance depends on a whole range of factors, but many do end up making a shed load of money.

Ray Hall, Taree

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Herman@21:1/5 to Frank Berger on Mon Jan 9 15:32:27 2023
    On Monday, January 9, 2023 at 11:42:12 PM UTC+1, Frank Berger wrote:

. You make it sound like all you have to do is go into finance and become rich. LOL!

your relentless need to naysay "prevents you from understanding simple English."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From raymond.hallbear1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Frank Berger on Mon Jan 9 15:49:25 2023
    On Tuesday, 10 January 2023 at 10:23:59 UTC+11, Frank Berger wrote:
    On 1/9/2023 6:11 PM, raymond....gmail.com wrote:

Bringing money into the equation sullies the argument. People go into conducting primarily because they have a desire to control how music is played. If you haven't the aptitude for it, any good orchestra will sniff it out after 10 minutes. In
    addition, the responsibility for performance levels is high.

I would suggest going into finance has no similarity to the need to control music performance. Whether one becomes good at finance depends on a whole range of factors, but many do end up making a shed load of money.

Tell that to Bear Stearns, Merrill Lynch and Lehman Brothers for starters.

Why?

Said as Goldman Sachs is about to layoff over 3000 people.

And ....

More finance people seem to end up in jail than conductors.

Obviously, because money is involved - other people's money mostly.

The fact that "a lot" of people do well in finance is meaningless. What percentage of those going into finance succeed compared to medicine, law, whatever? I don't know. Do you?

No. But then I don't remember mentioning percentages at all, as if I was bothered.

Ray Hall, Taree

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Berger@21:1/5 to raymond....@gmail.com on Mon Jan 9 19:13:20 2023
    On 1/9/2023 6:49 PM, raymond....@gmail.com wrote:

Bringing money into the equation sullies the argument. People go into conducting primarily because they have a desire to control how music is played. If you haven't the aptitude for it, any good orchestra will sniff it out after 10 minutes. In

Why?

And ....

The fact that "a lot" of people do well in finance is meaningless. What percentage of those going into finance succeed compared to medicine, law, whatever? I don't know. Do you?

No. But then I don't remember mentioning percentages at all, as if I was bothered.

Ray Hall, Taree

Come on, Ray. You said "many do end up making a shed load of money." What is the purpose of that statement if not suggest finance is an easy or easier road to wealth than some other field? Most would agree finance is more volatile than most fields,
    meaning that the risk of entering it is high. That suggest a larger than average rate of return to entering the field, but a concomitant higher risk of failure. If a career in finance is riskier than opening a restaurant, who can tell?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Berger@21:1/5 to raymond....@gmail.com on Mon Jan 9 18:23:51 2023
    On 1/9/2023 6:11 PM, raymond....@gmail.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, 10 January 2023 at 07:39:59 UTC+11, Herman wrote:

Bringing money into the equation sullies the argument. People go into conducting primarily because they have a desire to control how music is played. If you haven't the aptitude for it, any good orchestra will sniff it out after 10 minutes. In addition,
    the responsibility for performance levels is high.

Ray Hall, Taree

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From raymond.hallbear1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Frank Berger on Mon Jan 9 16:26:49 2023
    On Tuesday, 10 January 2023 at 11:13:29 UTC+11, Frank Berger wrote:
    On 1/9/2023 6:49 PM, raymond....gmail.com wrote:

Why?

And ....

Ray Hall, Taree

Come on, Ray. You said "many do end up making a shed load of money."

Many do. It isn't anything new. As if I really care about these people anyway.

What is the purpose of that statement if not suggest finance is an easy or easier road to wealth than some >other field?

I believe it can be a very easy way. And because finance was already mentioned. As you yourself have already said, many end up in jail. Good riddance to them. Sure they take risks, but nobody is forcing them.

Most would agree finance is more volatile than most fields, meaning that the risk of entering it is high. That <suggest a larger than average rate of return to entering the field, but a concomitant higher risk of failure. If >a career in finance is
    riskier than opening a restaurant, who can tell?

As I have already said, I don't care one way or the other. But as finance was mentioned earlier by you and others I simply used the comparison.

Ray Hall, Taree

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Berger@21:1/5 to raymond....@gmail.com on Mon Jan 9 19:41:20 2023
    On 1/9/2023 7:26 PM, raymond....@gmail.com wrote:

Tell that to Bear Stearns, Merrill Lynch and Lehman Brothers for starters. >>>
    Why?

And ....

Ray Hall, Taree

What is the purpose of that statement if not suggest finance is an easy or easier road to wealth than some >other field?

I believe it can be a very easy way. And because finance was already mentioned. As you yourself have already said, many end up in jail. Good riddance to them. Sure they take risks, but nobody is forcing them.

Most would agree finance is more volatile than most fields, meaning that the risk of entering it is high. That <suggest a larger than average rate of return to entering the field, but a concomitant higher risk of failure. If >a career in finance is

As I have already said, I don't care one way or the other. But as finance was mentioned earlier by you and others I simply used the comparison.

Ray Hall, Ta

OK, Ray. I've re-read the thread, especially to make sure of my own "contribution," and see that you either fail to see my point or are just digging in your heels as a matter of principle or dislike. Whichever or whatever, never mind. I'm going to have
    my head examined for even trying to communicate with you.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to Herman on Mon Jan 9 18:14:28 2023
    On Monday, January 9, 2023 at 12:54:02 AM UTC-8, Herman wrote:

That said, I've really not heard a lot of recordings
    from any of them, so they didn't come to mind.

Orchestras don't choose a conductor based on
    recordings. Recordings are artificial products
    that say very little about what a conductor is
    like to work with.

Hear, hear! Recordings also do not say much
    about how musicians actually perform live on
    a stage in front of a real audience.

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From raymond.hallbear1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Frank Berger on Mon Jan 9 17:31:00 2023
    On Tuesday, 10 January 2023 at 11:41:28 UTC+11, Frank Berger wrote:
    On 1/9/2023 7:26 PM, raymond....mail.com wrote:

Why?

And ....

Ray Hall, Taree

Ray Hall, Ta
    OK, Ray. I've re-read the thread, especially to make sure of my own "contribution," and see that you either fail to see my point or are just digging in your heels as a matter of principle or dislike. Whichever or whatever, never mind. I'm going to have
    my head examined for even trying to communicate with you.

Other than naysaying (thanks Herman) to everything I say, I am never sure exactly what your point is, other than naysaying.

Ray Hall, Taree

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to Dan Koren on Mon Jan 9 18:34:36 2023
    On Sunday, January 8, 2023 at 9:27:43 PM UTC-8, Dan Koren wrote:
    On Sunday, January 8, 2023 at 8:05:36 PM UTC-8, mswd...@gmail.com wrote:
    women?

I didn't really notice because I don't
    know any women who would be
    considered "leading candidates".
    Han-Na Chang:

https://www.youtube.com/@HanNaChangMusic

and there are more.

E.g. Xian Zhang:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYWMhxf1kbY

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/12/26/looking-past-the-celebrity-conductor

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Harper@21:1/5 to Frank Berger on Mon Jan 9 19:06:14 2023
    On 1/9/23 4:41 PM, Frank Berger wrote:
    On 1/9/2023 7:26 PM, raymond....@gmail.com wrote:

Bringing money into the equation sullies the argument. People go
    into conducting primarily because they have a desire to control
    how music is played. If you haven't the aptitude for it, any good
    orchestra will sniff it out after 10 minutes. In addition, the
    responsibility for performance levels is high.

I would suggest going into finance has no similarity to the need
    to control music performance. Whether one becomes good at finance
    depends on a whole range of factors, but many do end up making a
    shed load of money.

Tell that to Bear Stearns, Merrill Lynch and Lehman Brothers for
    starters.

Why?

And ....

The fact that "a lot" of people do well in finance is meaningless.
    What percentage of those going into finance succeed compared to
    medicine, law, whatever? I don't know. Do you?

No. But then I don't remember mentioning percentages at all, as if I
    was bothered.

Ray Hall, Taree

Many do. It isn't anything new. As if I really care about these people
    anyway.

What is the purpose of that statement if not suggest finance is an
    easy or easier road to wealth than some >other field?

I believe it can be a very easy way. And because finance was already
    mentioned. As you yourself have already said, many end up in jail.
    Good riddance to them. Sure they take risks, but nobody is forcing them.

Most would agree finance is more volatile than most fields, meaning
    that the risk of entering it is high. That <suggest a larger than
    average rate of return to entering the field, but a concomitant
    higher risk of failure. If >a career in finance is riskier than
    opening a restaurant, who can tell?

As I have already said, I don't care one way or the other. But as
    finance was mentioned earlier by you and others I simply used the
    comparison.

Ray Hall, Ta

OK, Ray.  I've re-read the thread, especially to make sure of my own "contribution," and see that you either fail to see my point or are just digging in your heels as a matter of principle or dislike.  Whichever or whatever, never mind. I'm going to have my head examined for even trying
    to communicate with you.

Frank, Ray is being typically disingenuous. It often seems that the
    principal driver of his views is envy. I hope I'm wrong.

Bob Harper

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gggg gggg@21:1/5 to dan....@gmail.com on Mon Jan 9 19:26:58 2023
    On Monday, January 9, 2023 at 6:14:31 PM UTC-8, dan....@gmail.com wrote:
    On Monday, January 9, 2023 at 12:54:02 AM UTC-8, Herman wrote:

That said, I've really not heard a lot of recordings
    from any of them, so they didn't come to mind.

Orchestras don't choose a conductor based on
    recordings. Recordings are artificial products
    that say very little about what a conductor is
    like to work with.
    Hear, hear! Recordings also do not say much
    about how musicians actually perform live on
    a stage in front of a real audience.

dk

Didn't Bohm say that Strauss' recordings sounded nothing like his live performances?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Todd M. McComb@21:1/5 to herstx@yahoo.com on Tue Jan 10 03:36:48 2023
    In article <149e7940-5e12-4e20-99bd-51ab208cf943n@googlegroups.com>,
    your relentless need to naysay "prevents you from understanding
    simple English."

I'm just picturing the RMCR version of career counseling: "If
    making money is important you, certainly don't go into finance!
    That's risky! But have you considered becoming a classical music conductor...?"

Seems too farcical to appear in actual entertainment programming,
    though.... Monty Python is long gone.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From raymond.hallbear1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Bob Harper on Mon Jan 9 20:57:58 2023
    On Tuesday, 10 January 2023 at 14:06:18 UTC+11, Bob Harper wrote:
    On 1/9/23 4:41 PM, Frank Berger wrote:
    On 1/9/2023 7:26 PM, raymond....gmail.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, 10 January 2023 at 10:23:59 UTC+11, Frank Berger wrote: >>>>> On 1/9/2023 6:11 PM, raymond....gmail.com wrote:

Bringing money into the equation sullies the argument. People go >>>>>> into conducting primarily because they have a desire to control
    how music is played. If you haven't the aptitude for it, any good >>>>>> orchestra will sniff it out after 10 minutes. In addition, the
    responsibility for performance levels is high.

I would suggest going into finance has no similarity to the need >>>>>> to control music performance. Whether one becomes good at finance >>>>>> depends on a whole range of factors, but many do end up making a >>>>>> shed load of money.

Tell that to Bear Stearns, Merrill Lynch and Lehman Brothers for
    starters.

Why?

And ....

The fact that "a lot" of people do well in finance is meaningless. >>>>> What percentage of those going into finance succeed compared to
    medicine, law, whatever? I don't know. Do you?

No. But then I don't remember mentioning percentages at all, as if I >>>> was bothered.

Ray Hall, Taree

Many do. It isn't anything new. As if I really care about these people
    anyway.

What is the purpose of that statement if not suggest finance is an
    easy or easier road to wealth than some >other field?

I believe it can be a very easy way. And because finance was already
    mentioned. As you yourself have already said, many end up in jail.
    Good riddance to them. Sure they take risks, but nobody is forcing them. >>
    Most would agree finance is more volatile than most fields, meaning
    that the risk of entering it is high. That <suggest a larger than
    average rate of return to entering the field, but a concomitant
    higher risk of failure. If >a career in finance is riskier than
    opening a restaurant, who can tell?

As I have already said, I don't care one way or the other. But as
    finance was mentioned earlier by you and others I simply used the
    comparison.

Ray Hall, Ta

OK, Ray. I've re-read the thread, especially to make sure of my own "contribution," and see that you either fail to see my point or are just digging in your heels as a matter of principle or dislike. Whichever or whatever, never mind. I'm going to have my head examined for even trying
    to communicate with you.

Bob Harper

Your hopes are realised. Envious of what? Certainly not the people in the finance industry!! Even their money is tainted.

For certain conductors, and physicists, and most professionals who are of use to this world and to other people, yes.
    Once again Bob, as ever, ad infinitum, you continually dance to the strings of your true mates.

Ray Hall, Taree

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc S@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 10 00:20:58 2023
    Let me offer my pov regarding this nonsense:

Shit started going south with Herman's crazy antics:

- mswd...@gmail.com gives us a reasonable explanation on why he didn't mention female conductors as candidates (hasn't listened to enough recordings of female conductors which is why they didn't come to his mind).

- Next the ridiculously overeducated Herman appears to share his perceived ingenuity and to teach mswd...@gmail.com how orchestras don't choose conductors based on recordings (it seems that mswd is very well aware of this), but on what they are like to
    work with (it should be noted though, that "what they are like to work with" does not equal to "musical quality" - sometimes maybe recordings give a better idea of musical quality than what some conductor says during rehearsals). Basically Herman was
    belittling mswd and indirectly telling him that his opinion is shit and not worthy of discussion (according to Herman: in a group that is about classical _recordings_, one should not dare judge a conductor based on recordings. Well, then there isn't
    anything left to discuss on this group...).

- Ofc Herman does (and will) not realize his ignorance in his arrogance and keep on with his antics

- In response to Dan's opinion that some people turn conductors because of financial reasons (which is a perfectly legitimate opinion), Herman once again goes crazy attacking Dan in a completely irrational way: Never did Dan say any of the things Herman
    was arguing against...

- Herman, the biggest fake on this ng, seems to believe that one can't fake being a great conductor (well, I have plenty of examples)... humans are generally prone to (subconciously) dupe themselves btw (as with Herman believing that he is ridiculously
    overeducated ;D as if ridiculously overeducated persons would ever say such stupid things lol).

Goethe described people like Herman the following way: "The Philistine not only ignores all conditions of life which are not his own, but also demands that the rest of mankind should fashion its mode of existence after his own."

Herman wants everyone to behave in a particular way, a way he deems to be "good": Dan shouldn't post so much, Mswd... should not give his opinion about candidates as conductors based on recordings (only ignorants would do that ;) )...

and if one doesn't do as Herman says, one is either a pedo, an ignorant or whatever else his deluded mind comes up with ;D

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Herman@21:1/5 to Marc S on Tue Jan 10 00:55:29 2023
    On Tuesday, January 10, 2023 at 9:21:01 AM UTC+1, Marc S wrote:

and if one doesn't do as Herman says, one is either a pedo, an ignorant or whatever else his deluded mind comes up with ;D

There is only one person on RMCR who keeps posting vids of very young women who either play and instrument or pretend to do so.
    And then of course there is our German correpsondent who has often mentioned teenage girls and their 'tits', his words not mine.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Herman@21:1/5 to Marc S on Tue Jan 10 03:22:51 2023
    On Tuesday, January 10, 2023 at 12:12:12 PM UTC+1, Marc S wrote:

Apparently you are unable to read sentences longer than four words, so you missed the point: "that say very little about what a conductor is like to work with."
    I know, it's tough. Take your time.

Also I did not aim "to undermine" what mswd said. I just added a thought.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc S@21:1/5 to Herman on Tue Jan 10 03:12:09 2023
    Herman schrieb am Montag, 9. Januar 2023 um 09:54:02 UTC+1:

You do understand that art generally is ARTifical? To characterize recordings as artifical to undermine mswd's opinion doesn't make any sense...

CDs don't grow on trees, yes. Violins and Mozart's music don't either.

To understand more about aesthetics and the relationship between art and nature I recommend Immanuel Kant's critique of judgement.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc S@21:1/5 to Marc S on Tue Jan 10 03:25:30 2023
    Marc S schrieb am Dienstag, 10. Januar 2023 um 12:12:12 UTC+1:

You do understand that art generally is ARTifical? To characterize recordings as artifical to undermine mswd's opinion doesn't make any sense...

To understand more about aesthetics and the relationship between art and nature I recommend Immanuel Kant's critique of judgement.

It's interesting that for Kant, moral judgements and "judgements of the beautiful" (a specific kind of aesthetic judgement) seem to share a common denominator.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andy Evans@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 10 03:54:34 2023
    I'm looking forward to the theatre production of RMCR with a cast that it would take any author 100 years to dream up.

Like Springtime For Hitler it should run and run......

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Harper@21:1/5 to Andy Evans on Tue Jan 10 09:02:05 2023
    On 1/10/23 3:54 AM, Andy Evans wrote:
    I'm looking forward to the theatre production of RMCR with a cast that it would take any author 100 years to dream up.

Like Springtime For Hitler it should run and run......

Andy, I would never have suspected you of being a Mel Brooks fan, but
    that's funny--and pretty accurate.

Bob Harper

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Harper@21:1/5 to raymond....@gmail.com on Tue Jan 10 08:58:05 2023
    On 1/9/23 8:57 PM, raymond....@gmail.com wrote:

Bob Harper

Your hopes are realised. Envious of what? Certainly not the people in the finance industry!! Even their money is tainted.

For certain conductors, and physicists, and most professionals who are of use to this world and to other people, yes.
    Once again Bob, as ever, ad infinitum, you continually dance to the strings of your true mates.

Ray Hall, Taree

Ray, it would appear that you do not know the true definition of envy.
    It consists only secondarily in the desire for the goods or riches of
    another. Rather, the real fault is sadness over the good fortune of another.

As to dancing to the strings of my 'true mates', I enjoy free will (as
    you do), so if I dance to any strings--and in my case it is the freedom
    to obey the beliefs of the Catholic Church--that is my choice, not
    compelled by anything other than my conscience.

Bob Harper

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Todd M. McComb@21:1/5 to herstx@yahoo.com on Tue Jan 10 17:51:34 2023
    In article <9d9ef38b-1a24-4b12-bf6f-c1aadb3a664cn@googlegroups.com>,
    Also I did not aim "to undermine" what mswd said. I just added a
    thought.

Maybe you should consider how easily you are trolled.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gggg gggg@21:1/5 to Marc S on Tue Jan 10 10:57:54 2023
    On Tuesday, January 10, 2023 at 3:25:33 AM UTC-8, Marc S wrote:

It's interesting that for Kant, moral judgements and "judgements of the beautiful" (a specific kind of aesthetic judgement) seem to share a common denominator.

- Morality, like art, consists in drawing a line somewhere.

Chesterton

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gggg gggg@21:1/5 to Bob Harper on Tue Jan 10 11:00:18 2023
    On Tuesday, January 10, 2023 at 8:58:10 AM UTC-8, Bob Harper wrote:
    On 1/9/23 8:57 PM, raymond....@gmail.com wrote:

Bob Harper

Ray Hall, Taree
    It consists only secondarily in the desire for the goods or riches of another. Rather, the real fault is sadness over the good fortune of another.

Doesn't that have something to do with schadenfreude?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc S@21:1/5 to gggg gggg on Tue Jan 10 11:57:30 2023
    gggg gggg schrieb am Dienstag, 10. Januar 2023 um 19:57:57 UTC+1:
    On Tuesday, January 10, 2023 at 3:25:33 AM UTC-8, Marc S wrote:

Chesterton

No, that would be far too general. Which is why this quote is meaningless. It doesn't tell us anything... one has to define things with care...

Science also consits of drawing a line somewhere...

In contrast to the above statement Kant makes clear that Art and Morality share a common denominator, science has a different one...

But since you are too lazy and stupid to read Kant, I know we can all expect more of your nonsensical posts...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc S@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 10 12:12:27 2023
    In this world today people just throw words (such as art, artificial etc) around without ever having thought about them carefully, ridding words of their meaning. Men are even wanting to be perceived as women (same the other way around) leading to
    absolute chaos in prison and sports etc, with women being the victims (this is 21st century feminism). Noone bats an eye when little kids get their breasts amputated in the name of gender ideology, but when jews visit their holiest site, the temple mount,
    the world goes crazy - and ofc, DeSantis and Netanyahu, the worst of them all; not the crazy doctors who amputate the healthy breasts off of children - someone tell me, is this all a joke?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Clarke@21:1/5 to mswd...@gmail.com on Tue Jan 10 11:39:17 2023
    a major position:

mind him here at all.

I forget where I read this recently, but someone has suggested that this search for the ultimate Heldendirigent, descending from the clouds with a star on the end of his or her baton, is now very much an American thing. Elsewhere, they just appoint
    somebody the orchestra gets along with and get on with it. Or conductors start their own orchestras and make recordings ...

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc S@21:1/5 to Marc S on Tue Jan 10 12:22:51 2023
    Marc S schrieb am Dienstag, 10. Januar 2023 um 21:19:00 UTC+1:
    Some "women" these days have dicks, how can this be?

Like Eddie Izzard or what his name is... this weird dude from england... this crazy fucking guy.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc S@21:1/5 to Marc S on Tue Jan 10 12:24:12 2023
    Marc S schrieb am Dienstag, 10. Januar 2023 um 21:22:54 UTC+1:
    Marc S schrieb am Dienstag, 10. Januar 2023 um 21:19:00 UTC+1:
    Like Eddie Izzard or what his name is... this weird dude from england... this crazy fucking guy.

And then Eddie Izzard will want to go in women's dressing rooms in swimming pools, and women's toilets etc etc... and the left - idiots like Andy - are like "yay, rainbow" ;D

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc S@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 10 12:18:58 2023

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to gggg gggg on Tue Jan 10 12:36:05 2023
    On Tuesday, January 10, 2023 at 10:57:57 AM UTC-8, gggg gggg wrote:

Did you tell the bot?

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mswdesign@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Marc S on Tue Jan 10 12:54:06 2023
    On Tuesday, January 10, 2023 at 2:24:15 PM UTC-6, Marc S wrote:
    And then Eddie Izzard will want to go in women's dressing rooms in swimming pools, and women's toilets etc etc... and the left - idiots like Andy - are like "yay, rainbow" ;D

Stop sooner.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc S@21:1/5 to mswd...@gmail.com on Tue Jan 10 13:10:17 2023
    mswd...@gmail.com schrieb am Dienstag, 10. Januar 2023 um 21:54:09 UTC+1:
    Stop sooner.

Sorry if you felt offended, I was just having fun, excuse me.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your problem with my statement?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andy Evans@21:1/5 to Marc S on Tue Jan 10 13:13:20 2023
    On Tuesday, 10 January 2023 at 20:24:15 UTC, Marc S wrote:

I see Mr S has been let out for the day with an electronic tag. Unwise, but liberal minds still show generosity towards bigots and fools.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc S@21:1/5 to Marc S on Tue Jan 10 13:16:30 2023
    Marc S schrieb am Dienstag, 10. Januar 2023 um 22:10:20 UTC+1:
    Stop sooner.

oh because of andy? well... the thing is this, he was very vocal about his hatred for trump, and very vocal about how good people do stuff for climate change and shit you know...

but then, he seems to be suprisingly quiet about really urgent stuff. and i just think this is hypocritical, and he just went through my head when writing it. sorry. and maybe andy can learn a thing or two ;), but he won't anyway.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc S@21:1/5 to Andy Evans on Tue Jan 10 13:17:38 2023
    Andy Evans schrieb am Dienstag, 10. Januar 2023 um 22:13:23 UTC+1:
    On Tuesday, 10 January 2023 at 20:24:15 UTC, Marc S wrote:
    I see Mr S has been let out for the day with an electronic tag. Unwise, but liberal minds still show generosity towards bigots and fools.

you fooking wanker ;D

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From raymond.hallbear1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Bob Harper on Tue Jan 10 14:35:49 2023
    On Wednesday, 11 January 2023 at 03:58:10 UTC+11, Bob Harper wrote:
    On 1/9/23 8:57 PM, raymond....gmail.com wrote:

Bob Harper

Ray Hall, Taree
    It consists only secondarily in the desire for the goods or riches of another. Rather, the real fault is sadness over the good fortune of another.

So right wing and solely materialistic in thought. What else can one expect? No, the real sadness lies in knowing there are far better people who by virtue of mere circumstance have literally nothing, and people in this world who pretend they don't exist.

Ray Hall, Taree

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mswdesign@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Marc S on Tue Jan 10 14:18:22 2023
    On Tuesday, January 10, 2023 at 3:10:20 PM UTC-6, Marc S wrote:
    Stop sooner.

Enough with the personal attacks.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Berger@21:1/5 to raymond....@gmail.com on Tue Jan 10 20:13:56 2023
    On 1/10/2023 5:35 PM, raymond....@gmail.com wrote:

Bob Harper

Ray Hall, Taree

So right wing and solely materialistic in thought. What else can one expect? No, the real sadness lies in knowing there are far better people who by virtue of mere circumstance have literally nothing, and people in this world who pretend they don't
    exist.

Ray Hall, Taree

Somebody must be receiving the significant share of federal, state and local government expenditures that go to the poor, either directly or indirectly. So the world electorates (at least in developed countries) as a whole don't seem to have forgotten
    the poor.

At the core of crackpot leftist economics is the wrong-headed idea that the economy is a zero-sum game. It is not the case that the rich got that way at the expense of the poor. Income, wealth and jobs are created by intelligence, creativity and risk-
    taking. Bill Gates and Elon Musk did not pick any pockets to get rich.

In a similar vein, among many anti-immigration types (legal or illegal) there is the equally wrong-headed idea that an immigrant who gets a job in the U.S. is taking that job away from a U.S. citizen. There is plenty of research that shows that
    immigration is conducive to economic growth.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From raymond.hallbear1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Frank Berger on Tue Jan 10 17:24:49 2023
    On Wednesday, 11 January 2023 at 12:14:06 UTC+11, Frank Berger wrote:
    On 1/10/2023 5:35 PM, raymond....gmail.com wrote:

At the core of crackpot leftist economics is the wrong-headed idea that the economy is a zero-sum game. >It is not the case that the rich got that way at the expense of the poor.

I wasn't aware anyone was suggesting that.

I wasn't Income, wealth and jobs are created by intelligence, creativity and risk-taking. Bill Gates and Elon >Musk did not pick any pockets to get rich.

Did anyone say he did? As for their intelligence and creativity, I have sincere doubts. Circumstances, being in the right place at the right time, are far more likely.

In a similar vein, among many anti-immigration types (legal or illegal) there is the equally wrong-headed >idea that an immigrant who gets a job in the U.S. is taking that job away from a U.S. citizen.

I waan't aware anyone was suggesting that either.

There is plenty of research that shows that immigration is conducive to economic growth.

If it wasn't for the slave wages often involved, I'd definitely agree with your statement.

Ray Hall, Taree

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Herman@21:1/5 to Frank Berger on Tue Jan 10 18:03:25 2023
    On Wednesday, January 11, 2023 at 2:14:06 AM UTC+1, Frank Berger wrote:

Bill Gates and Elon Musk did not pick any pockets to get rich.

Musk's dad was rich; I thought this was common knowledge.
    2 working conditions at Tesla and Twitter are bad.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Harper@21:1/5 to raymond....@gmail.com on Tue Jan 10 18:04:59 2023
    On 1/10/23 2:35 PM, raymond....@gmail.com wrote:

Bob Harper

Ray Hall, Taree

So right wing and solely materialistic in thought. What else can one expect? No, the real sadness lies in knowing there are far better people who by virtue of mere circumstance have literally nothing, and people in this world who pretend they don't
    exist.

Ray Hall, Taree

Ray, how you got that out of what I said i don't pretend to know. But
    you are utterly wrong if you think that's how I look at the world. There
    are, of course, destitute people in the world, and we have a duty to
    have compassion for them and to assist as we can in helping them escape
    that desperate state. How that ought to happen is a matter of prudential decision. And there, as you might expect, I don't think that compulsory redistribution of material goods is likely to be effective--something
    the history of the 20th century should make clear.

I have done with your anger.

Bob Harper

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From raymond.hallbear1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Bob Harper on Tue Jan 10 19:09:07 2023
    On Wednesday, 11 January 2023 at 13:05:04 UTC+11, Bob Harper wrote:
    On 1/10/23 2:35 PM, raymond....gmail.com wrote:

Frank, Ray is being typically disingenuous. It often seems that the >>>> principal driver of his views is envy. I hope I'm wrong.

Bob Harper

Ray Hall, Taree

exist.

Ray Hall, Taree

Ray, how you got that out of what I said i don't pretend to know. But
    you are utterly wrong if you think that's how I look at the world. There are, of course, destitute people in the world, and we have a duty to
    have compassion for them and to assist as we can in helping them escape
    that desperate state. How that ought to happen is a matter of prudential decision. And there, as you might expect, I don't think that compulsory redistribution of material goods is likely to be effective--something
    the history of the 20th century should make clear.

I have done with your anger.

Bob Harper

Substitute ""anger"" for ""continued astonishment and continued bafflement"" at your umbrella like statements and waffle, would be infinitely more correct. Obviously, it seems all you are capable of is projection of your ideas onto others. Do you really
    think I care what any right wing fruitcake thinks? If you do, you would seem to be more stupid than I thought.

Ray Hall, Taree

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Berger@21:1/5 to raymond....@gmail.com on Tue Jan 10 21:16:17 2023
    On 1/10/2023 8:24 PM, raymond....@gmail.com wrote:

At the core of crackpot leftist economics is the wrong-headed idea that the economy is a zero-sum game. >It is not the case that the rich got that way at the expense of the poor.

I wasn't Income, wealth and jobs are created by intelligence, creativity and risk-taking. Bill Gates and Elon >Musk did not pick any pockets to get rich.

Did anyone say he did? As for their intelligence and creativity, I have sincere doubts. Circumstances, being in the right place at the right time, are far more likely.

In a similar vein, among many anti-immigration types (legal or illegal) there is the equally wrong-headed >idea that an immigrant who gets a job in the U.S. is taking that job away from a U.S. citizen.

There is plenty of research that shows that immigration is conducive to economic growth.

If it wasn't for the slave wages often involved, I'd definitely agree with your statement.

Whatever "slave wages" is supposed to mean, there is overwhelming evidence of upward mobility. The people in the lowest quintile (or whatever) of income in survey data are not the same people in the next survey, 5 or 10 years later. The lowest strata
    are occupied with people with few skills, like the young. By working and accumulating skills, they make more money. You complain of slave wages. There would be no point to that unless you think minimum laws should prevent it. You apparently don't
    think all those employers would just continue to provide jobs for them. Good luck with that.

Ray Hall, Taree

I find it hard to believe you are not aware of the ideas you say you were not aware of.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From raymond.hallbear1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Frank Berger on Tue Jan 10 18:58:52 2023
    On Wednesday, 11 January 2023 at 13:16:26 UTC+11, Frank Berger wrote:
    On 1/10/2023 8:24 PM, raymond....gmail.com wrote:

Whatever "slave wages" is supposed to mean, there is overwhelming evidence of upward mobility. The people in the lowest quintile (or whatever) of income in survey data are not the same people in the next survey, 5 or 10 years later. The lowest strata
    are occupied with people with few skills, like the young. By working and accumulating skills, they make more money. You complain of slave wages. There would be no point to that unless you think minimum laws should prevent it. You apparently don't think
    all those employers would just continue to provide jobs for them. Good luck with that.

Ray Hall, Taree

I find it hard to believe you are not aware of the ideas you say you were not aware of.

If you were to read correctly, I said I wasn't aware of anyone here saying anything about the ideas you were suggesting. Primarily I entererd this thread to discuss dirigentsia, not to discuss ideas that pop out of your noggin without reading my posts
    correctly.

As for slave wages, you well know what I mean. I don't mean award wages either. And if you can't work that out, too bad. Greed is not good, as most people know and accept. As for the slant you make of employers providing work for immigrants - don't make
    me laugh !! More to the point is that employers are cashing in on labour that THEY need.

Ray Hall, Taree

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From raymond.hallbear1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Frank Berger on Tue Jan 10 21:06:11 2023
    On Wednesday, 11 January 2023 at 15:16:32 UTC+11, Frank Berger wrote:
    On 1/10/2023 9:58 PM, raymond....gmail.com wrote:

If you were to read correctly, I said I wasn't aware of anyone here saying anything about the ideas you were suggesting. Primarily I entererd this thread to discuss dirigentsia, not to discuss ideas that pop out of your noggin without reading my
    posts correctly.

Actually, great reader, I didn't say, nor imply, that you said anyone here had expressed these ideas.

Then why make them?

As for slave wages, you well know what I mean. I don't mean award wages either. And if you can't work >that out, too bad. Greed is not good, as most people know and accept.
    Everyone has self-interest. It's human nature. When that self-interest becomes so severe as to become "greed" is anyone's opinion.

Nobody is discussing human nature. But as ""supposedly"" intelligent animals, some humans can arrange it so that desperate people can work a full week and more, and are still a long way from being able to survive, as given by all indices of estimations
    of poverty. That is severe by any estimation.

As for the slant you make of employers providing work for immigrants - don't make me laugh !! More to the point is that employers are cashing in on labour that THEY need.

It makes no sense to say employers "need" workers any more than workers "need" jobs.

It is deceitful to say employers "provide" employment. It is truthful to say they need workers. The rest is obvious.

Ray Hall, Taree

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Berger@21:1/5 to raymond....@gmail.com on Tue Jan 10 23:16:23 2023
    On 1/10/2023 9:58 PM, raymond....@gmail.com wrote:
    On Wednesday, 11 January 2023 at 13:16:26 UTC+11, Frank Berger wrote:
    On 1/10/2023 8:24 PM, raymond....gmail.com wrote:

are occupied with people with few skills, like the young. By working and accumulating skills, they make more money. You complain of slave wages. There would be no point to that unless you think minimum laws should prevent it. You apparently don't think
    all those employers would just continue to provide jobs for them. Good luck with that.

Ray Hall, Taree

If you were to read correctly, I said I wasn't aware of anyone here saying anything about the ideas you were suggesting. Primarily I entererd this thread to discuss dirigentsia, not to discuss ideas that pop out of your noggin without reading my posts
    correctly.

Actually, great reader, I didn't say, nor imply, that you said anyone here had expressed these ideas. The thought never entered my mind. You missed the point that I was trying to make. That implicit belief in these concepts (economy as zero-sum game)
    can explain certain Leftist ideas, such as demonizing capitalists and entrepeneurs.

As for slave wages, you well know what I mean. I don't mean award wages either. And if you can't work >that out, too bad. Greed is not good, as most people know and accept.

Everyone has self-interest. It's human nature. When that self-interest becomes so severe as to become "greed" is anyone's opinion.

As for the slant you make of employers providing work for immigrants - don't make me laugh !! More to the point is that employers are cashing in on labour that THEY need.

It makes no sense to say employers "need" workers any more than workers "need" jobs.

Ray Hall, Taree

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc S@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 10 23:12:49 2023
    Cambridge Dictionary has redefined what a "woman" is, because otherwise ofc the trans-identified-males would be "offended" - facts should take precedence over feelings...

The new definition of a woman according to cambridge: "an adult who lives and identifies as female though they may have been said to have a different sex at birth".

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/woman

Even Herman can be a woman today ;D if you "feel" like a woman (whatever the heck people mean when saying this), then you are a woman as per cambridge dictionary, and dare one not offend those insane trans people by telling them they are insane and
    should really reflect on the shit they are doing to themselves and to others.

The reason why people consider to transition is based on body dysphoria which is sociologically induced, and instead of trying to help these people psychologically, by being subtle and going into depth and to discover the root of why people want to do
    this insane shit (take hormones, which can lead to alzheimer in TIMs etc) and to overcome it, people advocate for superficial but aggressive invasions (cut dick off, cut tits off, take hormones to grow tits etc) - this shit has become the new norm with
    people even changing the definition of a woman to accomodate this insanity...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc S@21:1/5 to mswd...@gmail.com on Tue Jan 10 22:42:43 2023
    mswd...@gmail.com schrieb am Dienstag, 10. Januar 2023 um 23:18:25 UTC+1:
    On Tuesday, January 10, 2023 at 3:10:20 PM UTC-6, Marc S wrote:
    Stop sooner.

Enough with the personal attacks.

I understand that this is all off topic etc, but sorry, no - kids are being mutiliated because of gender-ideology, and idiots like andy obsess about trump and the climate, while obviously having no problem with little kids being mutiliated in the name of
    the rainbow-ideology, and if you question said ideology, you will be called a bigot or a fascist ;D the MO of the left.

Let me ask you another question, since you are bothered with personal attacks (which in a general sense is ofc not wrong, but one should always look at the context):

Is it okay for you that I am attacking Eddie Izzard personally? Or are you only bothered that I am stating facts about andy? How about "Ellie Kerry" in this ng, "she" is a "he", a trans-identified man, he would have much more reasons to be personally
    offended by what I have said about Transgender-ideology, yet no words about this?

Are you only concerned with my attacks at andy, and nothign else?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Herman@21:1/5 to Marc S on Wed Jan 11 00:58:36 2023
    On Wednesday, January 11, 2023 at 8:12:51 AM UTC+1, Marc S wrote:

Even Herman can be a woman today ;D

Simple yes / no question.
    Are you a parent; do you have any children?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc S@21:1/5 to raymond....@gmail.com on Wed Jan 11 01:07:15 2023
    raymond....@gmail.com schrieb am Dienstag, 10. Januar 2023 um 23:35:52 UTC+1:

Bob Harper

Ray Hall, Taree
    exist.

Ray Hall, Taree

Ray you simple minded fool... all you do is reiterating the simple anti-capitalist views of the left, without understanding anything.

And I actually think Bob's characterisation of you as being envious is not too far fetched.

People like you are not to be reasoned with (similar to Dan wrt to Covid). You complain (unjustly) that Bob's view is materialistic (he only explained what "envy" is to you...), while being completely materialistic yourself, when complaing that some
    people are "poor" ("people who by virtue of mere circumstance have literally nothing"), obviously wanting them to be richer.

What leftists don't understand is, that capitalism brought us riches and progress. There was never a time in this world where people had it this good (wrt to food, medical care etc - all part of capitalism). Now, this does not mean that capitalism is
    perfect ofc, and the world is still unjust, but it's the system which cares more about "individuality" than any other system.

Israel understood this, Palestinians don't. Islamic nations hate capitalism, just as the left does - deeming capitalism to be responsible for every bad shit that happens, while not seeing the good capitalism has brought us. All the asian nations which
    followed the western model (Singapur, Japan, Korea) and became capitalist coutnries with a democratic foundation are first world countries now - not so much the islamic countries who deem the west responsible for their misfortune.

Ray's envy is similar to the envy of the Palestinians wrt to Israel.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc S@21:1/5 to Herman on Wed Jan 11 01:10:34 2023
    Herman schrieb am Mittwoch, 11. Januar 2023 um 09:58:39 UTC+1:

Simple answer: This does not concern you, and it doesn't matter. We are not friendly with each other, and I don't want to get to know you more unless I see you change for the better.

What I said is true and right, doesn't matter if I am a parent or not.

Ofc not only you Herman, but I can be a woman too.

I know that you have a daughter, and honestly, you should feel fucking creeped out that some 50yo men identifying as a woman would be allowed in the same public bathroom or dressing room of swimming pools with her... it's very simple, really.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Herman@21:1/5 to Marc S on Wed Jan 11 01:39:21 2023
    On Wednesday, January 11, 2023 at 10:10:37 AM UTC+1, Marc S wrote:
    Herman schrieb am Mittwoch, 11. Januar 2023 um 09:58:39 UTC+1:

Simple answer: This does not concern you, and it doesn't matter.

It does matter. It's just a theoretical, political issue for you to get worked up about.
    Just like no one here writes more often and more vehemently about Jewish issues than you.
    You're not Jewish. It's stuff on the internet for you.
    The frequency with which you write about teenage girls' "tits" is more than a little disturbing.

I am not concerned about my daughter and the bathroom issue you mention.
    It's a totally ridiculous American hysteria issue.
    I'm more worried about people like you who keep writing about teenage girls' "tits".
    It makes you sound like a dangerous creep who should not be let anywhere near teenagers of any gender.

Even if a trans person were to use the same bathroom, you may or may not be aware that washing your hands in the same space as a person you do not know is not really the end of the world.
    The thing is - and hence my question to you - do parents give their kids a solid proper grounding in their first ten or twelve years.

I suspect Andy's right and it's just your day off from the institution, 'cause you're clearly crazy.
    So this is the end of my dialogue with you.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andy Evans@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jan 11 01:19:00 2023
    I understand that this is all off topic etc, but sorry, no - kids are being mutiliated because of gender-ideology, and idiots like andy obsess about trump and the climate, while obviously having no problem with little kids being mutiliated in the name
    of the rainbow-ideology, and if you question said ideology, you will be called a bigot or a fascist ;D the MO of the left.

What the fuck is wrong with your brain? Of course I despise Trump as an unrepentant liar, cheat and incompetent and of course I'm deeply concerned about the climate like any scientist or half intelligent human is.

I have nothing whatsoever to do with "rainbow ideology" and I don't even know what it is, and as for "mutilated kids" I have absolutely no idea what part of your fucked up brain that came from. Since your ravings take you wherever your stream of
    consciousness dreams up, I don't expect any response resembling reality, and nor do I care apart from correcting the most idiotic of your ravings.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From raymond.hallbear1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Marc S on Wed Jan 11 02:49:39 2023
    On Wednesday, 11 January 2023 at 20:07:18 UTC+11, Marc S wrote:

Ray you simple minded fool... all you do is reiterating the simple anti-capitalist views of the left, without understanding anything.

And I actually think Bob's characterisation of you as being envious is not too far fetched.

You can believe what you want, but coming from someone who believes Trump is the bees knees, it is arguable that you would be perfectly able to believe anything. This is aside from your spot characterisations of people you don't know.

What leftists don't understand is, that capitalism brought us riches and progress. There was never a time > in this world where people had it this good (wrt to food, medical care etc - all part of capitalism).

As if you can teach me anything. Of course capitalism works, for lefties and wingnuts - it simply represents the gears and machinations by which democratic societies work. But the more successful countries owe their prosperity and happiness to government
    restraint, meaning rules and regulations that ensures everybody gets a fair/reasonable deal, and that excess is curtailed.

Now, this does not mean that capitalism is perfect ofc, and the world is still unjust, but it's the system
    which cares more about "individuality" than any other system.

Perfection is a bum word. It means nothing.

Israel understood this, Palestinians don't. Islamic nations hate capitalism, just as the left does - deeming > capitalism to be responsible for every bad shit that happens, while not seeing the good capitalism has > brought us. All the asian
    nations which followed the western model (Singapur, Japan, Korea) and became > capitalist coutnries with a democratic foundation are first world countries now - not so much the islamic > countries who deem the west responsible for their misfortune.

More blaa blaa bah !! Have you ever thought about kindergarten teaching? Perhaps not, for the sake of the kids.

More>

Ray's envy is similar to the envy of the Palestinians wrt to Israel.

And the sun rises in the north, and sinks upside down. Only in your dreams.

Ray Hall, Taree

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gggg gggg@21:1/5 to Herman on Wed Jan 11 10:20:28 2023
    On Monday, January 9, 2023 at 12:39:59 PM UTC-8, Herman wrote:

https://groups.google.com/u/1/g/rec.music.classical/c/TuiVXqL0ecY

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mswdesign@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Marc S on Wed Jan 11 17:46:57 2023
    On Wednesday, January 11, 2023 at 3:10:37 AM UTC-6, Marc S wrote:
    I know that you have a daughter, and honestly, you should feel fucking creeped out that some 50yo men identifying as a woman would be allowed in the same public bathroom or dressing room of swimming pools with her... it's very simple, really.

No, it's only simple in your pathetic cranium. And yes, claims that questions of human needs are "very simple" are connected with other behaviors that can be seen as fascistic inasmuch as they demand the people conform. There are indeed conservatives or
    even libertarians (some might be here) who might be interested in assessing how all this intersects with issues of parental rights/responsibilities and what reasonable steps should be made to deal with the fact that gender can be complicated. But when
    your politics is just an "its obvious!" religion that decries the exercise of freedoms, then what's going to be on offer is domination. Face it- the topic actually bores you except for the chance to club some liberal seals.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Herman@21:1/5 to mswd...@gmail.com on Wed Jan 11 22:54:18 2023
    On Thursday, January 12, 2023 at 2:47:00 AM UTC+1, mswd...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Wednesday, January 11, 2023 at 3:10:37 AM UTC-6, Marc S wrote:

No, it's only simple in your pathetic cranium.

I'm 'creeped out' by this guy who clearly has rape and violence fantasies about teenage women.

The other thing is he keeps intruding on other posters' privacy, but immediately shuts down when asked whether he's talking about this as a father or rather as someone who can't see a teenage woman without the above. His stalking and outing of Cheregi is
    another, worse example.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Todd M. McComb@21:1/5 to herstx@yahoo.com on Thu Jan 12 08:47:15 2023
    In article <2acbf7c9-8c85-4181-b6e4-115eb5409005n@googlegroups.com>,
    The other thing is he keeps intruding on other posters' privacy,
    but immediately shuts down when asked whether he's talking about
    this as a father or rather as someone who can't see a teenage woman
    without the above.

He's only here to cause trouble. No other reason. MSW was right
    on target in saying the topics he rants about are actually boring
    to him. He only wants a reaction.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Al Eisner@21:1/5 to Andy Evans on Thu Jan 12 12:56:53 2023
    On Wed, 11 Jan 2023, Andy Evans wrote:

I understand that this is all off topic etc, but sorry, no - kids are being mutiliated because of gender-ideology, and idiots like andy obsess about trump and the climate, while obviously having no problem with little kids being mutiliated in the name
    of the rainbow-ideology, and if you question said ideology, you will be called a bigot or a fascist ;D the MO of the left.

What the fuck is wrong with your brain? Of course I despise Trump as an unrepentant liar, cheat and incompetent and of course I'm deeply concerned about the climate like any scientist or half intelligent human is.

I have nothing whatsoever to do with "rainbow ideology" and I don't even know what it is, and as for "mutilated kids" I have absolutely no idea what part of your fucked up brain that came from. Since your ravings take you wherever your stream of
    consciousness dreams up, I don't expect any response resembling reality, and nor do I care apart from correcting the most idiotic of your ravings.

There is no point at all in even reading his messages. Zero. Or minus 10.

As for rainbow ideology, that derives from a notorious motley pack of
    witch hunters - you know, Judy, Scarecrow (pseudonym), a man with
    creaky joints, and a bestial coward.
    --
    Al Eisner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Berger@21:1/5 to Al Eisner on Thu Jan 12 16:22:23 2023
    On 1/12/2023 3:56 PM, Al Eisner wrote:

I understand that this is all off topic etc, but sorry, no - kids are being mutiliated because of gender-ideology, and idiots like andy obsess about trump and the climate, while obviously having no problem with little kids being mutiliated in the
    name of the rainbow-ideology, and if you question said ideology, you will be called a bigot or a fascist ;D the MO of the left.

There is no point at all in even reading his messages.  Zero.  Or minus 10.

I thought rainbow simply referred to multi-racial like the colors of the rainbow. Didn't know about any relationship to The Wizard of Oz.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Al Eisner@21:1/5 to Frank Berger on Thu Jan 12 14:56:09 2023
    This message is in MIME format. The first part should be readable text,
    while the remaining parts are likely unreadable without MIME-aware tools.

On Thu, 12 Jan 2023, Frank Berger wrote:

On 1/12/2023 3:56 PM, Al Eisner wrote:

I understand that this is all off topic etc, but sorry, no - kids are >>>> being mutiliated because of gender-ideology, and idiots like andy obsess >>>> about trump and the climate, while obviously having no problem with
    little kids being mutiliated in the name of the rainbow-ideology, and if >>>> you question said ideology, you will be called a bigot or a fascist ;D >>>> the MO of the left.

What the fuck is wrong with your brain? Of course I despise Trump as an >>> unrepentant liar, cheat and incompetent and of course I'm deeply concerned >>> about the climate like any scientist or half intelligent human is.

I have nothing whatsoever to do with "rainbow ideology" and I don't even >>> know what it is, and as for "mutilated kids" I have absolutely no idea
    what part of your fucked up brain that came from. Since your ravings take >>> you wherever your stream of consciousness dreams up, I don't expect any >>> response resembling reality, and nor do I care apart from correcting the >>> most idiotic of your ravings.

There is no point at all in even reading his messages.  Zero.  Or minus 10.

I thought rainbow simply referred to multi-racial like the colors of the rainbow. Didn't know about any relationship to The Wizard of Oz.

:)

There, is that better?
    --
    Al Eisner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc S@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jan 13 08:09:48 2023
    Guys... I was being funny when I said "rainbow ideology"... you idiots

Transgender-Ideology. And I am very sure that Andy will support Transgender-Ideology if he knew what it was ;) and probalby he already does and knows what it is.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to Marc S on Fri Jan 13 11:00:26 2023
    On Friday, January 13, 2023 at 8:09:51 AM UTC-8, Marc S wrote:

You have the right to fool yourself as much as you like.
    Whatever you are, it is most certainly never funny.

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc S@21:1/5 to dan....@gmail.com on Fri Jan 13 11:29:33 2023
    dan....@gmail.com schrieb am Freitag, 13. Januar 2023 um 20:00:30 UTC+1:
    On Friday, January 13, 2023 at 8:09:51 AM UTC-8, Marc S wrote:

You have the right to fool yourself as much as you like.

Says who? The guy (probably still) wearing scuba masks vs covid? What about your life-quality?

Whatever you are, it is most certainly never funny.

Well, that's probably because you don't get my jokes... but what to expect to someone who compares Netanyahu to Putin ;D

dk

I think you are funny, though probably not in the way you think you are funny. In the end, what I like about you (even though I think you are quite an idiot, except wrt recommending records) is that you live by your own rules ;D

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mswdesign@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Herman on Fri Jan 13 21:11:46 2023
    On Friday, January 13, 2023 at 10:40:22 PM UTC-6, Herman wrote:
    On Saturday, January 14, 2023 at 5:19:10 AM UTC+1, andrewc...@gmail.com wrote:

May I remind participants in this discussion that MD in this context stands for Musical Director and not Doctor of Medicine?

And that 'candates' need to be able to date profusively?

Should it matter at all, that was an error of finger execution not grammar. Not that there is any difference in the final accounting.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Herman@21:1/5 to andrewc...@gmail.com on Fri Jan 13 20:40:19 2023
    On Saturday, January 14, 2023 at 5:19:10 AM UTC+1, andrewc...@gmail.com wrote:

May I remind participants in this discussion that MD in this context stands for Musical Director and not Doctor of Medicine?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Clarke@21:1/5 to mswd...@gmail.com on Fri Jan 13 20:19:07 2023
    a major position:

mind him here at all.

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Herman@21:1/5 to mswd...@gmail.com on Sat Jan 14 00:04:34 2023
    On Saturday, January 14, 2023 at 6:11:49 AM UTC+1, mswd...@gmail.com wrote:

Should it matter at all, that was an error of finger execution not grammar. Not that there is any difference in the final accounting.

It was said in a spirit of good fun.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mswdesign@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Herman on Sat Jan 14 05:23:56 2023
    On Saturday, January 14, 2023 at 2:04:37 AM UTC-6, Herman wrote:
    On Saturday, January 14, 2023 at 6:11:49 AM UTC+1, mswd...@gmail.com wrote:

Yes, I wasn't bothered by the correction. I was bothered a bit by the error. :-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to Herman on Sat Jan 14 14:47:04 2023
    On Saturday, January 14, 2023 at 12:04:37 AM UTC-8, Herman wrote:

Where do you buy that spirit?

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05