• Re: Late night thoughts on listening to Mahler

From gggg gggg@21:1/5 to Constantin Marcou on Mon Jan 2 22:16:52 2023
    On Wednesday, December 17, 1997 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, Constantin Marcou wrote:
    À propos nothing at all, I'm wallowing in hog heaven listening to my new
    Wyn Morris Mahler 8. I've never really cottoned to this symphony before
    (my previous recording, which will be suitably disposed of, was by
    Michael Gielen, who seems to create the impression that the work is relentlessly strident and clangorous). But, I have put the "Waldung,
    sie schwankt heran" track on endless repeat, and it's a religious
    experience. Sometimes, I think we need to stop analyzing to a
    fare-thee-well and just enjoy the sounds washing over us.
    (There: I've said my piece!)
    --
    Best regards,
    Con
    "Mozart is too easy for beginners and too difficult for artists."
    - Artur Schnabel *****************************************************************
    Please remove * from address to reply.

(From a review of the 1983 book LATE NIGHT THOUGHTS ON LISTENING OF MAHLER'S NINTH SYMPHONY):

- Late night thoughts have a foreboding, and thus it is with Thomas: in his third compilation of magazine and newspaper pieces, he saves the title essay for last. It is a foreboding about the bomb and the foolishness of governments. "I am old enough by
    this time to be used to the notion of dying," he says. Now, hearing the cellos at the end of the Mahler pick up fragments from the first movement, "as though prepared to begin everything all over again," he remarks that he used to hear this as a
    wonderful few seconds of encouragement. Instead, with a pamphlet on MX-basing in front of him, the cellos "sound in my mind like the opening of all the hatches and the instant before ignition."

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/lewis-thomas/late-night-thoughts-listening-mahlers-ninth/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)