• Has anyone ever won the Chopin playing the 2nd concerto?

    From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to All on Sat Dec 17 21:40:32 2022
    I cannot find any evidence anyone did.
    If you know of any instances, please
    let me know.

    TIA

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Herman@21:1/5 to dan....@gmail.com on Sun Dec 18 00:54:37 2022
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 6:40:34 AM UTC+1, dan....@gmail.com wrote:
    I cannot find any evidence anyone did.
    If you know of any instances, please
    let me know.

    TIA

    Nobody gives a damn about these stupid endless piano competitions.

    Why don't you conduct your own research you vile piece of racist shit?

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From HT@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 18 08:37:37 2022
    Op zondag 18 december 2022 om 06:40:34 UTC+1 schreef dan....@gmail.com:
    I cannot find any evidence anyone did.
    If you know of any instances, please
    let me know.

    TIA

    Not to my knowledge. Since 1956, only 3 of the QEC finalists played this concerto, including Ousset, and none of them won a prize. Liszt #2 did better.

    Henk

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to hvt...@xs4all.nl on Sun Dec 18 11:29:08 2022
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 8:37:39 AM UTC-8, hvt...@xs4all.nl wrote:
    Op zondag 18 december 2022 om 06:40:34 UTC+1 schreef dan....@gmail.com:
    I cannot find any evidence anyone did.
    If you know of any instances, please
    let me know.

    TIA

    Not to my knowledge.

    Thanks!

    Since 1956, only 3 of the QEC finalists

    Good to know you've been attending
    conerts for at least 66 years! Way to
    go. Ad mea ve'esrim!

    played this concerto, including Ousset,

    Yes, but the QEC is a different competition.

    and none of them won a prize. Liszt #2
    did better.

    Good to know, even though it is too
    latte now for me to compete ;-)

    I played the Liszt 2 in high school,
    and found it easier to play than it
    sounds. Brahms 2 is the opposite.

    Which piano concerti are the most
    popular in the QEC rodeo? Does the
    QEC require two concerti in the finals?
    Or only one? Can compeitors play any
    concertos they like, or are they limited
    to prescribed menu?

    dk

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From HT@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 18 13:40:30 2022
    Op zondag 18 december 2022 om 20:29:11 UTC+1 schreef dan....@gmail.com:

    Which piano concerti are the most
    popular in the QEC rodeo? Does the
    QEC require two concerti in the finals?
    Or only one? Can compeitors play any
    concertos they like, or are they limited
    to prescribed menu?

    Candidates play 3 concertos: a Mozart concerto from a list of concertos, a completely new and unknown concerto (only a week to prepare), and a concerto from a list of concertos. The lists help the orchestras to be prepared, more or less, for what is
    coming.

    The 19 winners since 1952 played: Beethoven #4 (1), Brahms #1 (1), Brahms #2 (1), Liszt #1 (1), Liszt #2 (2), Prokofiev #2 (5), Rachmaninoff #3 (5), Tchaikovsky #1 (3).
    The 19 last placed finalists: Beethoven #3 (1), Beethoven #5 (2), Brahms #1 (2), Brahms #2 (1), Chopin #1 (2), Rachmaninoff #2 (1), Rachmaninoff #3 (4), Rachmaninoff Rhapsody (1), Schumann (1), Tchaikovsky #1 (4).

    Henk

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to hvt...@xs4all.nl on Sun Dec 18 20:03:39 2022
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 1:40:33 PM UTC-8, hvt...@xs4all.nl wrote:
    Op zondag 18 december 2022 om 20:29:11 UTC+1 schreef dan....@gmail.com:
    Which piano concerti are the most
    popular in the QEC rodeo? Does the
    QEC require two concerti in the finals?
    Or only one? Can compeitors play any
    concertos they like, or are they limited
    to prescribed menu?
    Candidates play 3 concertos: a Mozart
    concerto from a list of concertos, a
    completely new and unknown concerto
    (only a week to prepare), and a concerto
    from a list of concertos. The lists help
    the orchestras to be prepared, more or
    less, for what is coming.

    Thanks! Sounds like a lot of work.

    The 19 winners since 1952 played: Beethoven #4 (1),
    Brahms #1 (1), Brahms #2 (1), Liszt #1 (1), Liszt #2 (2),
    Prokofiev #2 (5), Rachmaninoff #3 (5), Tchaikovsky #1 (3).

    This is quite nteresting. No Mendelssohn,
    Schumann, Grieg, or second Mozart concerto?
    And no Ravel?

    The 19 last placed finalists: Beethoven #3 (1), Beethoven #5 (2),
    Brahms #1 (2), Brahms #2 (1), Chopin #1 (2), Rachmaninoff #2 (1), Rachmaninoff #3 (4), Rachmaninoff Rhapsody (1), Schumann (1),
    Tchaikovsky #1 (4).

    No Bartok, Reger or Busoni?

    dk

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From HT@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 19 01:40:50 2022
    Op maandag 19 december 2022 om 05:03:42 UTC+1 schreef dan....@gmail.com:
    .
    This is quite nteresting. No Mendelssohn,
    Schumann, Grieg, or second Mozart concerto?
    And no Ravel? No Bartok, Reger or Busoni?

    Busoni and Reger are not on the list. Too long. Is there a competition where they may be performed in the final?
    I don't recall hearing a Mendelssohn, Grieg or young Mozart. I did hear a Ravel (which the commentators found far too easy for a competition) and a Bartok #3 (which, according to the commentators, caught the judges off guard with a work fairly unknown at
    the time).

    Henk

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to hvt...@xs4all.nl on Mon Dec 19 07:38:00 2022
    On Monday, December 19, 2022 at 1:40:53 AM UTC-8, hvt...@xs4all.nl wrote:
    Op maandag 19 december 2022 om 05:03:42 UTC+1 schreef dan....@gmail.com:
    .
    This is quite nteresting. No Mendelssohn,
    Schumann, Grieg, or second Mozart concerto?
    And no Ravel? No Bartok, Reger or Busoni?

    Busoni and Reger are not on the list. Too long.

    Yes indeed. Juries' attention spans tend to be
    rather short.

    Is there a competition where they may be
    performed in the final?

    I will check. There is a Busoni competition
    which I do not usually follow.

    dk

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to Dan Koren on Mon Dec 19 07:46:10 2022
    On Monday, December 19, 2022 at 7:38:04 AM UTC-8, Dan Koren wrote:
    On Monday, December 19, 2022 at 1:40:53 AM UTC-8, hvt...@xs4all.nl wrote:
    Op maandag 19 december 2022 om 05:03:42 UTC+1 schreef dan....@gmail.com:
    .
    This is quite nteresting. No Mendelssohn,
    Schumann, Grieg, or second Mozart concerto?
    And no Ravel? No Bartok, Reger or Busoni?

    Busoni and Reger are not on the list. Too long.

    Yes indeed. Juries' attention spans tend to be
    rather short.

    Is there a competition where they may be
    performed in the final?

    I will check. There is a Busoni competition
    which I do not usually follow.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferruccio_Busoni_International_Piano_Competition

    https://www.youtube.com/@BusoniInternational

    The 64th competition is under way right now.

    The finals oflast year's 63rd competition show
    the usual: an Emperoar, a Rachmaninov 3, and
    a Prokofiev 2.

    I find it rather interesting this competition runs
    every year. Piano competitions require a lot of
    work from the organizers, this is a lot of effort.

    dk

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Frank Berger@21:1/5 to Dan Koren on Mon Dec 19 11:31:15 2022
    On 12/19/2022 10:46 AM, Dan Koren wrote:
    On Monday, December 19, 2022 at 7:38:04 AM UTC-8, Dan Koren wrote:
    On Monday, December 19, 2022 at 1:40:53 AM UTC-8, hvt...@xs4all.nl wrote: >>> Op maandag 19 december 2022 om 05:03:42 UTC+1 schreef dan....@gmail.com: >>> .
    This is quite nteresting. No Mendelssohn,
    Schumann, Grieg, or second Mozart concerto?
    And no Ravel? No Bartok, Reger or Busoni?

    Busoni and Reger are not on the list. Too long.

    Yes indeed. Juries' attention spans tend to be
    rather short.

    Is there a competition where they may be
    performed in the final?

    I will check. There is a Busoni competition
    which I do not usually follow.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferruccio_Busoni_International_Piano_Competition

    https://www.youtube.com/@BusoniInternational

    The 64th competition is under way right now.

    The finals oflast year's 63rd competition show
    the usual: an Emperoar, a Rachmaninov 3, and
    a Prokofiev 2.

    I find it rather interesting this competition runs
    every year. Piano competitions require a lot of
    work from the organizers, this is a lot of effort.

    dk


    Could it be that they don't have much of anything else do do?

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to Frank Berger on Mon Dec 19 08:47:54 2022
    On Monday, December 19, 2022 at 8:31:23 AM UTC-8, Frank Berger wrote:
    On 12/19/2022 10:46 AM, Dan Koren wrote:
    On Monday, December 19, 2022 at 7:38:04 AM UTC-8, Dan Koren wrote:
    On Monday, December 19, 2022 at 1:40:53 AM UTC-8, hvt...@xs4all.nl wrote: >>> Op maandag 19 december 2022 om 05:03:42 UTC+1 schreef dan....@gmail.com: >>> .
    This is quite nteresting. No Mendelssohn,
    Schumann, Grieg, or second Mozart concerto?
    And no Ravel? No Bartok, Reger or Busoni?

    Busoni and Reger are not on the list. Too long.

    Yes indeed. Juries' attention spans tend to be
    rather short.

    Is there a competition where they may be
    performed in the final?

    I will check. There is a Busoni competition
    which I do not usually follow.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferruccio_Busoni_International_Piano_Competition

    https://www.youtube.com/@BusoniInternational

    The 64th competition is under way right now.

    The finals oflast year's 63rd competition show
    the usual: an Emperoar, a Rachmaninov 3, and
    a Prokofiev 2.

    I find it rather interesting this competition runs
    every year. Piano competitions require a lot of
    work from the organizers, this is a lot of effort.

    Could it be that they don't have much of anything
    else do do?

    Music performance competitions have significant
    marketing aspects.

    Competitions need an aura of exclusivity to build
    and maintain their brands. The Chopin runs once
    every 5 years, Bach, Schumann, Tchaikovsky and
    Van Cliburn every 4 years, Leeds, Liszt, Rubinstein,
    G├ęza Anda and Hamamatsu every 3 years, Clara
    Haskil every 2 years. Which ones are considered
    the most prestigious?

    Keeping competitions a few years apart makes
    them appear more "exclusive", and make their
    cachets more valuable. Competitions that are
    held every year, e.g. IKIF or CMIM do not get
    as much attention. The sweet spot appears
    to 4 years +/-1.

    Hope this clarifies tha metter.

    dk

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Al Eisner@21:1/5 to Dan Koren on Wed Dec 21 19:39:25 2022
    On Mon, 19 Dec 2022, Dan Koren wrote:

    On Monday, December 19, 2022 at 7:38:04 AM UTC-8, Dan Koren wrote:
    On Monday, December 19, 2022 at 1:40:53 AM UTC-8, hvt...@xs4all.nl wrote: >>> Op maandag 19 december 2022 om 05:03:42 UTC+1 schreef dan....@gmail.com: >>> .
    This is quite nteresting. No Mendelssohn,
    Schumann, Grieg, or second Mozart concerto?
    And no Ravel? No Bartok, Reger or Busoni?

    Busoni and Reger are not on the list. Too long.

    Yes indeed. Juries' attention spans tend to be
    rather short.

    Is there a competition where they may be
    performed in the final?

    I will check. There is a Busoni competition
    which I do not usually follow.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferruccio_Busoni_International_Piano_Competition

    https://www.youtube.com/@BusoniInternational

    The 64th competition is under way right now.

    The finals oflast year's 63rd competition show
    the usual: an Emperoar, a Rachmaninov 3, and
    a Prokofiev 2.

    I find it rather interesting this competition runs
    every year. Piano competitions require a lot of
    work from the organizers, this is a lot of effort.

    dk

    I had looked up the competition web page, rules at https://www.busoni-mahler.eu/competition/en/competition-rules/
    The single concerto stage has a long list of the usual suspects,
    plus Bartok 2 and Scriabin, but no Busoni. Busoni is required
    at the first solo stage of the finals.
    --
    Al Eisner

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to Al Eisner on Wed Dec 21 19:52:34 2022
    On Wednesday, December 21, 2022 at 7:39:32 PM UTC-8, Al Eisner wrote:
    On Mon, 19 Dec 2022, Dan Koren wrote:

    On Monday, December 19, 2022 at 7:38:04 AM UTC-8, Dan Koren wrote:
    On Monday, December 19, 2022 at 1:40:53 AM UTC-8, hvt...@xs4all.nl wrote: >>> Op maandag 19 december 2022 om 05:03:42 UTC+1 schreef dan....@gmail.com: >>> .
    This is quite nteresting. No Mendelssohn,
    Schumann, Grieg, or second Mozart concerto?
    And no Ravel? No Bartok, Reger or Busoni?

    Busoni and Reger are not on the list. Too long.

    Yes indeed. Juries' attention spans tend to be
    rather short.

    Is there a competition where they may be
    performed in the final?

    I will check. There is a Busoni competition
    which I do not usually follow.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferruccio_Busoni_International_Piano_Competition

    https://www.youtube.com/@BusoniInternational

    The 64th competition is under way right now.

    The finals oflast year's 63rd competition show
    the usual: an Emperoar, a Rachmaninov 3, and
    a Prokofiev 2.

    I find it rather interesting this competition runs
    every year. Piano competitions require a lot of
    work from the organizers, this is a lot of effort.

    I had looked up the competition web page, rules at https://www.busoni-mahler.eu/competition/en/competition-rules/
    The single concerto stage has a long list of the usual suspects,
    plus Bartok 2 and Scriabin, but no Busoni. Busoni is required
    at the first solo stage of the finals.

    Those are solo works. I was wondering why
    the Busoni Piano Concerto is not an option
    in the final finals.

    dk

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Christopher Howell@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 22 22:59:07 2022
    Those are solo works. I was wondering why
    the Busoni Piano Concerto is not an option
    in the final finals.

    dk

    Because it would mean engaging a male chorus

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to Christopher Howell on Thu Dec 22 23:04:31 2022
    On Thursday, December 22, 2022 at 10:59:09 PM UTC-8, Christopher Howell wrote:
    Those are solo works. I was wondering why
    the Busoni Piano Concerto is not an option
    in the final finals.

    Because it would mean engaging a male chorus


    Of course! So what? It is also possible to
    perform it without voices, or to transcribe
    the chorus score for organ, or to use a
    recorded chorus. Endless possibilities.

    dk

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)