• Re: 2001

From gggg gggg@21:1/5 to Tony Movshon on Tue Dec 6 10:18:00 2022
    On Sunday, June 1, 2003 at 7:58:54 PM UTC-7, Tony Movshon wrote:
    Whilst* flipping channels, I caught the tail end of "2001" tonight, and watched the credits go by. Ligeti's Atmospheres is from a recording by
    Ernest Bour; I missed the other two Ligeti credits. "The Blue Danube" is BPO/Karajan; and the "Also sprach Zarathustra" is ... uncredited. The recording is in fact the Decca VPO/Karajan recording of 1959. Decca allowed the recording to be used in the film, but absolutely forbade Kubrick from mentioning where it came from. How dumb was that?
    I used loved the movie when it was new, but my goodness it seems like pretentious twaddle now.
    Tony Movshon
    mov...@nyu.edu
    * indicates British education

https://www.mentalfloss.com/posts/sight-and-sound-100-best-films-all-time-2022

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Notsure01@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 6 17:51:32 2022
    A thread from merely 20 years ago and already all of the original
    participants - except Ray! - are now gone. What struck me was that
    almost all used their real names on their posts, as well as the friendly
    tone - maybe these could be related???

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andy Evans@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 7 04:56:22 2022
    On Tuesday, 6 December 2022 at 22:51:37 UTC, Notsure01 wrote:
    A thread from merely 20 years ago and already all of the original participants - except Ray! - are now gone. What struck me was that
    almost all used their real names on their posts, as well as the friendly tone - maybe these could be related???

I think I was in then, plus a few others. I miss guys like Simon, who I met in London and had good times with, like I met Dan when he was here and we took in a concert. There were some very funny guys then and some memorably funny posts from guys like
    Samir.

Ramon Khalona on the 48, translated by Samir Golescu (on the internet)
    Because my knowledge of Hispanic language is not that strong, I confidently used my $2000 "Translarobot" to do my translation below are the results:
    Natalia González wrote:
    “Who could please give me a piece of advice about getting a recording of the two books of Bach's well tempered clavier in piano... Is Glenn Gould the best one of all?” Translation from the Spanish reply by Senor Ramon Khalona:

Desde luego que no Natalia.
    - Your disdain is out of place, Natalia.

Para el primer libro te recomiendo Evgeny Koroliov (Tacet)
    - First-class choped liver is Koroliov (and keep quiet when I'm talking).

como la interpretacion mas profunda que he escuchado.
    - His pretty interplay is a profusive, over-cooked mass-pleaser.

Para el sugundo libro me gusta mucho Friedrich Gulda,
    - I am disgusted by the "macho" Friedrich Gulda,

en una interpretacion menos profunda pero no menos interesante.
    - a tepid-pretty purveyance deprived of Peruvian male inner sanctity.

Desde luego que esto seria una mezcla de interpretaciones
    - East Dresden is the place with serious distillations of mescaline,

y si te interesa tener ambos libros por el mismo pianista,
    - but if M. Teresa's liberal goal is amber for the poor miasmic pianists

mi primera recomendacion seria Sviatoslav Richter (RCA).
    - I'll have to seriously warn you of the first-class serial killer Richter.

Que los disfrutes
    - If you don't like my advice, you can throw rotten vegetables in the windows of my Carlsbad residence.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 7 09:03:45 2022
    On Tuesday, December 6, 2022 at 2:51:37 PM UTC-8, Notsure01 wrote:

A thread from merely 20 years ago and already all of the original participants - except Ray! - are now gone. What struck me was that
    almost all used their real names on their posts, as well as the friendly
    tone - maybe these could be related???

Bingo!

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andy Evans@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 7 09:51:52 2022
    Some more old posts I archived...

From MT: Harkness, no doubt as fed up with the holidays as most of us, snapped:

<<No, I'm implying that any number of people on this board like to play the game of obscurantist one-upmanship. "The greatest recording of such and such is by some guy no one's ever heard of, in a radio broadcast from Sakhalin Island in 1946. There was
    only one tape ever made, and I have it, and I killed a Soviet diplomatic courier to get it and then blew up the radio station to make sure there were no more copies. Fleeing across Siberia, my troika pursued by wolves....">>

Popov WTC
    You have not heard the WTC unless you've heard the great Vladimir Ardaevich Popov - not to be confused with his brother, the sublime composer Igor Ardaevich Popov, of whom I've spoken before in this forum. Unfortunately, Vladimir Ardaevich Popov's
    recordings are on very rare 78s, the gathering of which took me nearly four decades. Each recording was made during a different Traktorfest season (1932-38), and it is astonishing to behold how Vladimir Ardaevich's style matured over that span. The last
    recordings were made at the Novosibirsk Traktorfest, in which the crowd decided to keep the tractors running for heat, and there is some disturbing background noise and a shout or two from the artist begging attention; however, the pianist's towering
    interpretations are such that the sound simply is not an issue. There was an LP reissue of part of these performances, in substandard pseudosteroized sound, on Arcanissima 77, though an announced CD reissue on Piratica never materialized as the label
    dematerialized. As I said at the beginning: throw out all your recordings of the WTC: no-one comes even close to Vladimir Ardaevich Popov. Regards,mt

Heldenpianist Jeremy Cook
    Allow me to introduce myself. I am world-renowned German translator and Wagnerian Romantischer Heldenpianist Jeremy Cook. I will be giving my next live concert/lecture/demonstration on the ego-inflating results of hearing and/or performing Richard Wagner'
    s music on Tuesday, February30, 1999, from 5 to 7 PM in the Lawrence Welk Memorial Auditorium of the Bridgeport, Connecticut No-Tell Motel. Admission to this gala event is $2.00 for adults, $3.00 for seniors and students (don't cry poor to me, I don't
    want to hear it). This is my most recent presentation of my scholarly lecture/concert entitled, "Wagner's Music as a Stimulus to Heightened Arrogance and Delusional Self-Importance," which was met with vociferous kudos on previous occasions. It includes
    a pre-concert lecture on the fine points of translating German vocal and poetic texts into easy-to-understand modern English (with many examples provided). The performance itself features piano transcriptions of arias from a wide range of Wagner's operas.
    In the course of the evening, I will actually play eight high C's, two high D's, and one super-duper-high C (the one at the very top of the piano, usually heard only in cartoons). Videotapes of this performance will be available. Terms will be announced
    in a future self-flattering Usenet post to broadcast the wild success that the performance will no doubt be. Snacks will be provided free (little hot dogs on crackers and the like) but the bar is strictly cash. Hope to see you there! Jeremy Cook,
    Wagnerian Romantischer Heldenpianist Newtown, Connecticut, USA

I enclose eulogies from my previous events:
    "I doubt that I will ever see a performance like that again."
    - Norman Lebrecht, The Times of London, 12/20/98.

"I clapped until I stopped."
    - Harold C. Schonberg, The New York Times, 1/5/99.

"The free buffet was not to be believed."
    - Julia Child, Food & Wine, November 1998.

"The performances given by Jeremy Cook in these parts will not soon be forgotten." - Gramophone

"We didn't listen before to a conductor like Mr. Jeremy Cook, we couldn't believe what we were listening now and we don't want to listen to him, ever again!" – Fanfare

"Mr Cook's concerts do for music lovers what Thanksgiving does for turkeys"
    -- Connecticut Chronicle, November 1998

From Simon Roberts: For immediate release:
    Brussels 1/23/99 -- The World Association of Record Sellers (WARS) wishes to make public its appreciation and recognition of their most loyal customer, Simon Roberts of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Mr. Roberts, an avid classical music collector, has
    recently broken a record long held by an LP collector who by 1982 had acquired 178,000 LPs. By January 11, 1998, Mr. Roberts had bought every classical music CD ever released, and had bought at least one classical CD from each classical music dealer in
    the world. It is estimated that to date Mr. Roberts has acquired some 185,000 CDs. Mr. Roberts will be honored at a reception to be held at WARS headquarters, during which he will be presented with an artistic silver plaque depicting a facsimile of his
    credit card.
    For further information, contact WARS at press@wars.com.

"Pigs in white satin and mice with a stammer
    Cows that speak Latin and wield a hammer
    Badgers that think they can dine out with kings
    These are a few of my average things........"
    ---from "The Hound of Music"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to Andy Evans on Wed Dec 7 11:07:17 2022
    None of the items quoted below provide any useful INFORMATION
    for Melmoth and Herman (aka Homo Harminius Batavicus).

Please STOP posting anything other than LP or CD numbers! ;-))

On Wednesday, December 7, 2022 at 9:51:55 AM UTC-8, Andy Evans wrote:
    Some more old posts I archived...

From MT: Harkness, no doubt as fed up with the holidays as most of us, snapped:

<<No, I'm implying that any number of people on this board like to play the game of obscurantist one-upmanship. "The greatest recording of such and such is by some guy no one's ever heard of, in a radio broadcast from Sakhalin Island in 1946. There was
    only one tape ever made, and I have it, and I killed a Soviet diplomatic courier to get it and then blew up the radio station to make sure there were no more copies. Fleeing across Siberia, my troika pursued by wolves....">>

Popov WTC
    You have not heard the WTC unless you've heard the great Vladimir Ardaevich Popov - not to be confused with his brother, the sublime composer Igor Ardaevich Popov, of whom I've spoken before in this forum. Unfortunately, Vladimir Ardaevich Popov's
    recordings are on very rare 78s, the gathering of which took me nearly four decades. Each recording was made during a different Traktorfest season (1932-38), and it is astonishing to behold how Vladimir Ardaevich's style matured over that span. The last
    recordings were made at the Novosibirsk Traktorfest, in which the crowd decided to keep the tractors running for heat, and there is some disturbing background noise and a shout or two from the artist begging attention; however, the pianist's towering
    interpretations are such that the sound simply is not an issue. There was an LP reissue of part of these performances, in substandard pseudosteroized sound, on Arcanissima 77, though an announced CD reissue on Piratica never materialized as the label
    dematerialized. As I said at the beginning: throw out all your recordings of the WTC: no-one comes even close to Vladimir Ardaevich Popov. Regards,mt

Heldenpianist Jeremy Cook
    Allow me to introduce myself. I am world-renowned German translator and Wagnerian Romantischer Heldenpianist Jeremy Cook. I will be giving my next live concert/lecture/demonstration on the ego-inflating results of hearing and/or performing Richard
    Wagner's music on Tuesday, February30, 1999, from 5 to 7 PM in the Lawrence Welk Memorial Auditorium of the Bridgeport, Connecticut No-Tell Motel. Admission to this gala event is $2.00 for adults, $3.00 for seniors and students (don't cry poor to me, I
    don't want to hear it). This is my most recent presentation of my scholarly lecture/concert entitled, "Wagner's Music as a Stimulus to Heightened Arrogance and Delusional Self-Importance," which was met with vociferous kudos on previous occasions. It
    includes a pre-concert lecture on the fine points of translating German vocal and poetic texts into easy-to-understand modern English (with many examples provided). The performance itself features piano transcriptions of arias from a wide range of Wagner'
    s operas. In the course of the evening, I will actually play eight high C's, two high D's, and one super-duper-high C (the one at the very top of the piano, usually heard only in cartoons). Videotapes of this performance will be available. Terms will be
    announced in a future self-flattering Usenet post to broadcast the wild success that the performance will no doubt be. Snacks will be provided free (little hot dogs on crackers and the like) but the bar is strictly cash. Hope to see you there! Jeremy
    Cook, Wagnerian Romantischer Heldenpianist Newtown, Connecticut, USA

I enclose eulogies from my previous events:
    "I doubt that I will ever see a performance like that again."
    - Norman Lebrecht, The Times of London, 12/20/98.

"I clapped until I stopped."
    - Harold C. Schonberg, The New York Times, 1/5/99.

"The free buffet was not to be believed."
    - Julia Child, Food & Wine, November 1998.

"The performances given by Jeremy Cook in these parts will not soon be forgotten." - Gramophone

"We didn't listen before to a conductor like Mr. Jeremy Cook, we couldn't believe what we were listening now and we don't want to listen to him, ever again!" – Fanfare

"Mr Cook's concerts do for music lovers what Thanksgiving does for turkeys" -- Connecticut Chronicle, November 1998

From Simon Roberts: For immediate release:
    Brussels 1/23/99 -- The World Association of Record Sellers (WARS) wishes to make public its appreciation and recognition of their most loyal customer, Simon Roberts of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Mr. Roberts, an avid classical music collector, has
    recently broken a record long held by an LP collector who by 1982 had acquired 178,000 LPs. By January 11, 1998, Mr. Roberts had bought every classical music CD ever released, and had bought at least one classical CD from each classical music dealer in
    the world. It is estimated that to date Mr. Roberts has acquired some 185,000 CDs. Mr. Roberts will be honored at a reception to be held at WARS headquarters, during which he will be presented with an artistic silver plaque depicting a facsimile of his
    credit card.
    For further information, contact WARS at pr...@wars.com.

"Pigs in white satin and mice with a stammer
    Cows that speak Latin and wield a hammer
    Badgers that think they can dine out with kings
    These are a few of my average things........"
    ---from "The Hound of Music"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gggg gggg@21:1/5 to Nicolai P. Zwar on Wed Dec 7 12:57:27 2022
    On Monday, June 2, 2003 at 5:22:16 AM UTC-7, Nicolai P. Zwar wrote:
    Tony Movshon wrote:
    Whilst* flipping channels, I caught the tail end of "2001" tonight, and watched the credits go by. Ligeti's Atmospheres is from a recording by Ernest Bour; I missed the other two Ligeti credits. "The Blue Danube" is BPO/Karajan; and the "Also sprach Zarathustra" is ... uncredited. The recording is in fact the Decca VPO/Karajan recording of 1959. Decca allowed the recording to be used in the film, but absolutely forbade Kubrick from mentioning where it came from. How dumb was that?
    Very dumb. The stupid kind of dumb, if you know what I mean. (Just my opinion.)
    If I would have had something to say in Decca's marketing branch, I
    would have insisted on a special Decca tie in release of Karajan's
    complete recording of "Also Sprach Zarathustra", boldly stating "as
    heard in the MGM motion picture '2001 - A Space Odyssee'", perhaps with
    2001 related cover. Yep, that's what I would have done.
    --
    Nicolai Zwar
    http://www.nicolaizwar.com
    (all pages closed again at this time)

https://www.google.com/search?q=lp+london+stereo+treasury+also+spract+zarathustra&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=657&ei=zv2QY4PkI8_HkPIP6YKOuAQ&iflsig=AJiK0e8AAAAAY5EL3qCN7hnVKXPI2lhJ5fbkO8pMEBr0&ved=0ahUKEwiDg6amsuj7AhXPI0QIHWmBA0cQ4dUDCAc&uact=5&oq=lp+
    london+stereo+treasury+also+spract+zarathustra&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzoFCAAQgAQ6CAgAEIAEELEDOgYIABAFEB46BggAEAgQHjoHCAAQgAQQGFAAWM5qYNNraABwAHgAgAGmAogB-iWSAQczMy4xMS41mAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWc&sclient=img#imgrc=2ftnStIsaB4FgM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05