• Problem with Gieseking Warner box?

From Jonathan Ben Schragadove@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 30 22:29:04 2022
    Started sampling some of the discs in the new Gieseking boxed set on Warner, and on some of the 1930's tracks I'm wondering if there are issues with the remastering: an annoying ringing tone. There is a review on Amazon that describes this in more
    detail. Anyone else hearing things?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Invocation@21:1/5 to Jonathan Ben Schragadove on Thu Dec 1 12:18:04 2022
    Yes, it is pretty obvious. I am wondering if Warner will redo those problematic tracks.

On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 1:29:07 AM UTC-5, Jonathan Ben Schragadove wrote:
    Started sampling some of the discs in the new Gieseking boxed set on Warner, and on some of the 1930's tracks I'm wondering if there are issues with the remastering: an annoying ringing tone. There is a review on Amazon that describes this in more

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jonathan Ben Schragadove@21:1/5 to Invocation on Thu Dec 1 15:35:28 2022
    On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 12:18:07 PM UTC-8, Invocation wrote:
    Yes, it is pretty obvious. I am wondering if Warner will redo those problematic tracks.
    On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 1:29:07 AM UTC-5, Jonathan Ben Schragadove wrote:
    Thanks for confirming. The later material that I've listened to so far sounds fine.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pluted Pup@21:1/5 to Invocation on Thu Dec 1 16:30:45 2022
    On Thu, 01 Dec 2022 12:18:04 -0800, Invocation wrote:

Is the ringing sound from Noise Reduction?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From drh8h@21:1/5 to Jonathan Ben Schragadove on Thu Dec 1 16:46:05 2022
    On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 6:35:31 PM UTC-5, Jonathan Ben Schragadove wrote:
    Thanks for confirming. The later material that I've listened to so far sounds fine.

Do you remember any specific tracks, pieces obviously afflicted? The box has not been issued yet in the U.S. If it becomes suddenly unavailable for awhile, we will know what happened. The Amazon reviewer cites discs 1, 2 and 6. The first two discs
    include the mostly acoustical Homochord recordings which APR issued years ago in first-rate transfers.

DH

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jonathan Ben Schragadove@21:1/5 to All on Fri Dec 2 15:47:52 2022
    On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 4:46:08 PM UTC-8, drh8h wrote:
    On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 6:35:31 PM UTC-5, Jonathan Ben Schragadove wrote:
    Started sampling some of the discs in the new Gieseking boxed set on Warner, and on some of the 1930's tracks I'm wondering if there are issues with the remastering: an annoying ringing tone. There is a review on Amazon that describes this in
    more detail. Anyone else hearing things?
    Do you remember any specific tracks, pieces obviously afflicted? The box has not been issued yet in the U.S. If it becomes suddenly unavailable for awhile, we will know what happened. The Amazon reviewer cites discs 1, 2 and 6. The first two discs
    include the mostly acoustical Homochord recordings which APR issued years ago in first-rate transfers.

DH
    I first became aware of it when listening to Disc 4, track 9 (Mozart, from 1936).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From George@21:1/5 to Jonathan Ben Schragadove on Sat Dec 3 07:50:28 2022
    On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 6:47:55 PM UTC-5, Jonathan Ben Schragadove wrote:
    Started sampling some of the discs in the new Gieseking boxed set on Warner, and on some of the 1930's tracks I'm wondering if there are issues with the remastering: an annoying ringing tone. There is a review on Amazon that describes this in

DH
    I first became aware of it when listening to Disc 4, track 9 (Mozart, from 1936).

Who did the transfers on this set?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From drh8h@21:1/5 to George on Sat Dec 3 08:43:42 2022
    On Saturday, December 3, 2022 at 10:50:31 AM UTC-5, George wrote:
    On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 6:47:55 PM UTC-5, Jonathan Ben Schragadove wrote:

DH

Art et Son Studio.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Invocation@21:1/5 to Pluted Pup on Sat Dec 3 12:48:03 2022
    The ringing sound is caused by using poor quality 78s discs.

On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 7:30:53 PM UTC-5, Pluted Pup wrote:

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From George@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 4 05:58:02 2022
    On Saturday, December 3, 2022 at 11:43:46 AM UTC-5, drh8h wrote:
    On Saturday, December 3, 2022 at 10:50:31 AM UTC-5, George wrote:
    Started sampling some of the discs in the new Gieseking boxed set on Warner, and on some of the 1930's tracks I'm wondering if there are issues with the remastering: an annoying ringing tone. There is a review on Amazon that describes this
    in more detail. Anyone else hearing things?
    Do you remember any specific tracks, pieces obviously afflicted? The box has not been issued yet in the U.S. If it becomes suddenly unavailable for awhile, we will know what happened. The Amazon reviewer cites discs 1, 2 and 6. The first two
    discs include the mostly acoustical Homochord recordings which APR issued years ago in first-rate transfers.

DH
    Art et Son Studio.

Thanks, that is good news.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pluted Pup@21:1/5 to Invocation on Sun Dec 4 09:56:37 2022
    On Sat, 03 Dec 2022 12:48:03 -0800, Invocation wrote:

I don't know what the listeners are saying by "ringing" sound.
    Are they just complaining about surface noise? But they say
    it is a processing sound and 78 surface noise by itself doesn't
    sound like ringing to me.

This amazon review doesn't say enough, I can't tell what is
    being talked about, why is the Liszt Concerto unacceptable,
    Presto saying it is from 1936, not from the early 1920's:

This is an early response based on sampling discs 1, 2, & 6.
    Unfortunately there seems to be a fault in the production of
    these discs. I'm well aware that these are very old recordings
    and are bound to sound poor in comparison to Gieseking's later
    recordings, but the issue I'm having both on my computer and on
    my hi fi system is a digital ringing at roughly the freqency area
    around and above piano middle C. I have made digital transfers of
    old material myself and recall this issues as arising from some
    lack of synchronisation in the DAC. Unfortunately, I don't have
    the knowledge to diagnose the fault precisely. It is, however, a
    fault. I've checked other historical recordings on my systems and
    my ears, just to be certain that I can isolate it. There is
    definitely an issue with this Warner edition. What should I do?
    Will Warner recall the discs and replace the faulty ones? Since
    I've sampled three discs so far and found the same fault on each
    one, I'm not optimistic about the rest.

UPDATE. I started to listen to disc 3, which has the Liszt First
    Piano Concerto. The sound of this is simply unacceptable for an
    issue by a major company. There is considerable distortion and
    that same digital ringing I noted on other discs. All of this
    indicates an unbelievably sloppy job by whoever was employed to
    do the transfers and a lack of checking further up the chain. I'm
    surprised, because other Warner boxes, e.g. the Barbirolli, have
    been excellent. I'm returning the set to Amazon and hope that
    Warner will do the decent thing and bring all the discs in the
    Gieseking set up to their usual high standard.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Stefan Huber@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 5 13:58:12 2022
    It really doesn't sound like a problem with the source material to me - unless the source material happens to be a low resolution digital transfer ;) To me it seems if something happened during the CD mastering phase. I can't believe that a sound
    engineer would approve a recording sounding this way.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Berger@21:1/5 to Stefan Huber on Mon Dec 5 17:35:17 2022
    On 12/5/2022 4:58 PM, Stefan Huber wrote:
    It really doesn't sound like a problem with the source material to me - unless the source material happens to be a low resolution digital transfer ;) To me it seems if something happened during >the CD mastering phase. I can't believe that a sound
    engineer would approve a recording sounding this way.

Has anybody tried to contact Warner?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From drh8h@21:1/5 to Pluted Pup on Wed Jan 18 05:40:51 2023
    On Sunday, December 4, 2022 at 12:56:43 PM UTC-5, Pluted Pup wrote:

do the transfers and a lack of checking further up the chain. I'm
    surprised, because other Warner boxes, e.g. the Barbirolli, have

I just, finally, received this box yesterday, so haven't listened to much, but sampled some tracks and went through disc 1. Notably, some of the Homocords on that earliest disc are the Seth Winner transfers from the previous outstanding APR issue. I am
    not sure why they didn't use all of Seth's work. There is not problem with any of "his" tracks. Gieseking completists need to get the APR because it includes the Brunswick recordings. The Mozart "Turkish" excerpt on disc 6 is similarly afflicted with the
    ringing sound. I have not the knowledge to know what the problem is, but I am guessing it occurred late in the mastering phase. As for the Liszt Concerto, what is most noticeable to me is the extremely worn condition of the first movement. I have
    wondered if Art & Son is limited mostly to whatever Warner has in their archives. Independents like Seth Winner, who had a Gieseking series on Pearl, and Ward Marston, who made a number of Gieseking transfers for Naxos, have access to a network of
    collectors and institutions and can track down the best copies from anywhere in the world. I mention this because it has happened before. In the otherwise outstanding Furtwängler complete set, the discs used by Art & Son for the Brahms 1 were in dire
    condition in complete contrast to the rest of the set.

Dennis H

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From George@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jan 18 11:14:44 2023
    On Wednesday, January 18, 2023 at 8:40:53 AM UTC-5, drh8h wrote:

do the transfers and a lack of checking further up the chain. I'm surprised, because other Warner boxes, e.g. the Barbirolli, have

I just, finally, received this box yesterday, so haven't listened to much, but sampled some tracks and went through disc 1. Notably, some of the Homocords on that earliest disc are the Seth Winner transfers from the previous outstanding APR issue. I am
    not sure why they didn't use all of Seth's work. There is not problem with any of "his" tracks. Gieseking completists need to get the APR because it includes the Brunswick recordings. The Mozart "Turkish" excerpt on disc 6 is similarly afflicted with the
    ringing sound. I have not the knowledge to know what the problem is, but I am guessing it occurred late in the mastering phase. As for the Liszt Concerto, what is most noticeable to me is the extremely worn condition of the first movement. I have
    wondered if Art & Son is limited mostly to whatever Warner has in their archives. Independents like Seth Winner, who had a Gieseking series on Pearl, and Ward Marston, who made a number of Gieseking transfers for Naxos, have access to a network of
    collectors and institutions and can track down the best copies from anywhere in the world. I mention this because it has happened before. In the otherwise outstanding Furtwängler complete set, the discs used by Art & Son for the Brahms 1 were in dire

Dennis H

Thanks for clarifying the above, Dennis. Could you please confirm that the Warner box does not contain his full first recoriding (1938) of both books of Debussy preludes? The amazon image shows that only Book one (minus one prelude) is included. Maybe
    the booklet explains why?

Thanks,
    George

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From George@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jan 18 12:14:26 2023
    On Wednesday, January 18, 2023 at 3:04:33 PM UTC-5, drh8h wrote:
    On Wednesday, January 18, 2023 at 2:14:46 PM UTC-5, George wrote:

This is an early response based on sampling discs 1, 2, & 6. Unfortunately there seems to be a fault in the production of
    and are bound to sound poor in comparison to Gieseking's later recordings, but the issue I'm having both on my computer and on
    my hi fi system is a digital ringing at roughly the freqency area around and above piano middle C. I have made digital transfers of
    the knowledge to diagnose the fault precisely. It is, however, a fault. I've checked other historical recordings on my systems and

that same digital ringing I noted on other discs. All of this indicates an unbelievably sloppy job by whoever was employed to
    do the transfers and a lack of checking further up the chain. I'm surprised, because other Warner boxes, e.g. the Barbirolli, have
    Warner will do the decent thing and bring all the discs in the Gieseking set up to their usual high standard.

Started sampling some of the discs in the new Gieseking boxed set on Warner, and on some of the 1930's tracks I'm wondering if there are issues with the remastering: an annoying ringing tone. There is a review on Amazon that describes
    this in more detail. Anyone else hearing things?
    I just, finally, received this box yesterday, so haven't listened to much, but sampled some tracks and went through disc 1. Notably, some of the Homocords on that earliest disc are the Seth Winner transfers from the previous outstanding APR issue.
    I am not sure why they didn't use all of Seth's work. There is not problem with any of "his" tracks. Gieseking completists need to get the APR because it includes the Brunswick recordings. The Mozart "Turkish" excerpt on disc 6 is similarly afflicted
    with the ringing sound. I have not the knowledge to know what the problem is, but I am guessing it occurred late in the mastering phase. As for the Liszt Concerto, what is most noticeable to me is the extremely worn condition of the first movement. I
    have wondered if Art & Son is limited mostly to whatever Warner has in their archives. Independents like Seth Winner, who had a Gieseking series on Pearl, and Ward Marston, who made a number of Gieseking transfers for Naxos, have access to a network of

Dennis H
    Thanks for clarifying the above, Dennis. Could you please confirm that the Warner box does not contain his full first recoriding (1938) of both books of Debussy preludes? The amazon image shows that only Book one (minus one prelude) is included.
    Maybe the booklet explains why?

Thanks,
    George
    The first book is complete: the "Sunken Cathedral" was recorded earlier. Warner presents the records more or less chronologically. If one bought the "set" in the U. S., there was an empty pocket for that piece, which was sold separately. This is
    mentioned in one of B. H. Haggin's record books. The second book was recorded by Columbia in NYC and is not in this set, as mentioned in the booklet. The easiest way to obtain it right now is to purchase the 2-CD APR set of WG's prewar Debussy recordings.
    I did not mention the APR with the Homocords also includes some unpublished sides, Bach C# Maj P&F from Bk 1 of WTC and a couple of Scarlatti sonatas, along with other unpublished recordings. Also it has the two Brunswick sides, which I suppose belong
    to Universal. These omissions are mentioned in the current Gramophone review by Jed Distler. I have not tried to do the math, but all of the Columbia/Sony records could be pressed onto one or at most two, cds.

Thanks again, Dennis!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From drh8h@21:1/5 to George on Wed Jan 18 12:04:30 2023
    On Wednesday, January 18, 2023 at 2:14:46 PM UTC-5, George wrote:

This is an early response based on sampling discs 1, 2, & 6. Unfortunately there seems to be a fault in the production of
    and are bound to sound poor in comparison to Gieseking's later recordings, but the issue I'm having both on my computer and on

Started sampling some of the discs in the new Gieseking boxed set on Warner, and on some of the 1930's tracks I'm wondering if there are issues with the remastering: an annoying ringing tone. There is a review on Amazon that describes this
    I just, finally, received this box yesterday, so haven't listened to much, but sampled some tracks and went through disc 1. Notably, some of the Homocords on that earliest disc are the Seth Winner transfers from the previous outstanding APR issue. I
    am not sure why they didn't use all of Seth's work. There is not problem with any of "his" tracks. Gieseking completists need to get the APR because it includes the Brunswick recordings. The Mozart "Turkish" excerpt on disc 6 is similarly afflicted with
    the ringing sound. I have not the knowledge to know what the problem is, but I am guessing it occurred late in the mastering phase. As for the Liszt Concerto, what is most noticeable to me is the extremely worn condition of the first movement. I have

Dennis H
    Thanks for clarifying the above, Dennis. Could you please confirm that the Warner box does not contain his full first recoriding (1938) of both books of Debussy preludes? The amazon image shows that only Book one (minus one prelude) is included. Maybe
    the booklet explains why?

Thanks,
    George

The first book is complete: the "Sunken Cathedral" was recorded earlier. Warner presents the records more or less chronologically. If one bought the "set" in the U. S., there was an empty pocket for that piece, which was sold separately. This is
    mentioned in one of B. H. Haggin's record books. The second book was recorded by Columbia in NYC and is not in this set, as mentioned in the booklet. The easiest way to obtain it right now is to purchase the 2-CD APR set of WG's prewar Debussy recordings.
    I did not mention the APR with the Homocords also includes some unpublished sides, Bach C# Maj P&F from Bk 1 of WTC and a couple of Scarlatti sonatas, along with other unpublished recordings. Also it has the two Brunswick sides, which I suppose belong
    to Universal. These omissions are mentioned in the current Gramophone review by Jed Distler. I have not tried to do the math, but all of the Columbia/Sony records could be pressed onto one or at most two, cds.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jonathan Ben Schragadove@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jan 18 12:59:27 2023
    On Wednesday, January 18, 2023 at 5:40:53 AM UTC-8, drh8h wrote:

Dennis H

Thank you, Dennis.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pluted Pup@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 19 13:04:28 2023
    On Wed, 18 Jan 2023 05:40:51 -0800, drh8h wrote:

wondered if Art & Son is limited mostly to whatever Warner has in their archives. Independents like Seth Winner, who had a Gieseking series on Pearl, and Ward Marston, who made a number of Gieseking transfers for Naxos, have access to a
    network of collectors and institutions and can track down the best copies from anywhere in the world. I mention this because it has happened before. In the otherwise outstanding Furtwängler complete set, the discs used by Art & Son for the Brahms 1
    were in dire condition in complete contrast to the rest of the set.

Can you describe the "ringing"? Is it surface noise, is it
    noise reduction? Noise reduction can have a whiny sound.

I far prefer surface noise to noise reduction artifacts.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From drh8h@21:1/5 to Pluted Pup on Thu Jan 19 17:32:59 2023
    On Thursday, January 19, 2023 at 4:04:35 PM UTC-5, Pluted Pup wrote:

I just, finally, received this box yesterday, so haven't listened to much, but sampled some tracks and went through disc 1. Notably, some of the Homocords on that earliest disc are the Seth Winner transfers from the previous outstanding APR issue. I
    am not sure why they didn't use all of Seth's work. There is not problem with any of "his" tracks. Gieseking completists need to get the APR because it includes the Brunswick recordings. The Mozart "Turkish" excerpt on disc 6 is similarly afflicted with
    the ringing sound. I have not the knowledge to know what the problem is, but I am guessing it occurred late in the mastering phase. As for the Liszt Concerto, what is most noticeable to me is the extremely worn condition of the first movement. I have
    wondered if Art & Son is limited mostly to whatever Warner has in their archives. Independents like Seth Winner, who had a Gieseking series on Pearl, and Ward Marston, who made a number of Gieseking transfers for Naxos, have access to a
    network of collectors and institutions and can track down the best copies from anywhere in the world. I mention this because it has happened before. In the otherwise outstanding Furtwängler complete set, the discs used by Art & Son for the Brahms 1
    were in dire condition in complete contrast to the rest of the set.

To me it sounds like a metallic resonance. You might think your tweeter was damaged or a piece of metal vibrating. Such noises are not uncommon on distorting or worn piano recordings, but this is subtly different, higher pitched and rather disembodied
    from the musical sound. I am still working my way through the discs, so can't say how much is afflicted. Never throughout an entire disc, and only certain short pieces. So far, the concertos, except the worn out parts of the Liszt, and sonatas are fine.
    The "Emperor" presumably from master pressings, is outstandingly good. The Turkish excerpt I mentioned is really disc 5. Can't see! Items with flute, also on APR, are affected, mostly in the flute passages. Probably less than an hour's worth notably
    afflicted so far, but I have a way to go through the 78s. I am listening on Amphion speakers and they have a very strong treble "presence." Other models or headphones or higher listening levels than my lease permit might yield different results, maybe
    less so with a treble rolloff. Surface noise is strong on some tracks. Art & Son usually don't overdo the noise reduction. We need a technical expert to weigh in.

DH

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pluted Pup@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jan 21 12:00:33 2023
    On Thu, 19 Jan 2023 17:32:59 -0800, drh8h wrote:

my hi fi system is a digital ringing at roughly the freqency area around and above piano middle C. I have made digital transfers of

Warner will do the decent thing and bring all the discs in the Gieseking set up to their usual high standard.

Started sampling some of the discs in the new Gieseking boxed set on Warner, and on some of the 1930's tracks I'm wondering if there are issues with the remastering: an annoying ringing tone. There is a review on Amazon that describes

I just, finally, received this box yesterday, so haven't listened to much, but sampled some tracks and went through disc 1. Notably, some of the Homocords on that earliest disc are the Seth Winner transfers from the previous outstanding APR issue.
    I am not sure why they didn't use all of Seth's work. There is not problem with any of "his" tracks. Gieseking completists need to get the APR because it includes the Brunswick recordings. The Mozart "Turkish" excerpt on disc 6 is similarly afflicted
    with the ringing sound. I have not the knowledge to know what the problem is, but I am guessing it occurred late in the mastering phase. As for the Liszt Concerto, what is most noticeable to me is the extremely worn condition of the first movement. I
    have wondered if Art & Son is limited mostly to whatever Warner has in their archives. Independents like Seth Winner, who had a Gieseking series on Pearl, and Ward Marston, who made a number of Gieseking transfers for Naxos, have access to
    a
    network of collectors and institutions and can track down the best copies from anywhere in the world. I mention this because it has happened before. In the otherwise outstanding Furtwängler complete set, the discs used by Art & Son for the Brahms
    1 were in dire condition in complete contrast to the rest of the set.

To me it sounds like a metallic resonance. You might think your tweeter was damaged or a piece of metal vibrating. Such noises are not uncommon on distorting or worn piano recordings, but this is subtly different, higher pitched and rather disembodied
    from the musical sound. I am still working my way through the discs, so can't say how much is afflicted. Never throughout an entire disc, and only certain short pieces. So far, the concertos, except the worn out parts of the Liszt, and sonatas are fine.
    The "Emperor" presumably from master pressings, is outstandingly good. The Turkish excerpt I mentioned is really disc 5. Can't see! Items with flute, also on APR, are affected, mostly in the flute passages. Probably less than an hour's worth notably
    afflicted so far, but I have a way to go through the 78s. I am listening on Amphion speakers and they have a very strong treble "presence." Other models or headphones or higher listening levels than my lease permit might yield different
    results, maybe less so with a treble rolloff. Surface noise is strong on some tracks.

Anyway, I bought the set. I predict I'll describe it as "that does
    sound like ringing but it's hard to describe".

Art & Son usually don't overdo the noise reduction.

You can't go by names: Is Sony's Meyer or b-sharp good?
    They did a terrible job on Richter's 1960 Columbia live
    recordings. Is Ward Marston good? Sony placed his name
    on the terrible engineering of the Complete Rachmaninoff set.
    Is Keith Hardwick good? EMI placed his name on the 1990
    Schnabel set. All three sets and engineering were severely
    muffled by noise reduction.

We need a technical expert to weigh in.

We don't need the type of experts who always apologizes for
    intrusive engineering. We need the types who analyzes and
    explains.

(Sorry for the TD derangement syndrome)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From drh8h@21:1/5 to Pluted Pup on Sat Jan 21 16:05:34 2023
    On Saturday, January 21, 2023 at 3:00:42 PM UTC-5, Pluted Pup wrote:

it is a processing sound and 78 surface noise by itself doesn't sound like ringing to me.

my hi fi system is a digital ringing at roughly the freqency area around and above piano middle C. I have made digital transfers of old material myself and recall this issues as arising from some
    the knowledge to diagnose the fault precisely. It is, however, a fault. I've checked other historical recordings on my systems and
    my ears, just to be certain that I can isolate it. There is definitely an issue with this Warner edition. What should I do?
    I've sampled three discs so far and found the same fault on each one, I'm not optimistic about the rest.

UPDATE. I started to listen to disc 3, which has the Liszt First Piano Concerto. The sound of this is simply unacceptable for an issue by a major company. There is considerable distortion and
    that same digital ringing I noted on other discs. All of this indicates an unbelievably sloppy job by whoever was employed to
    do the transfers and a lack of checking further up the chain. I'm surprised, because other Warner boxes, e.g. the Barbirolli, have been excellent. I'm returning the set to Amazon and hope that

have wondered if Art & Son is limited mostly to whatever Warner has in their archives. Independents like Seth Winner, who had a Gieseking series on Pearl, and Ward Marston, who made a number of Gieseking transfers for Naxos, have access to
    a
    network of collectors and institutions and can track down the best copies from anywhere in the world. I mention this because it has happened before. In the otherwise outstanding Furtwängler complete set, the discs used by Art & Son for the
    Brahms 1 were in dire condition in complete contrast to the rest of the set.

To me it sounds like a metallic resonance. You might think your tweeter was damaged or a piece of metal vibrating. Such noises are not uncommon on distorting or worn piano recordings, but this is subtly different, higher pitched and rather
    disembodied from the musical sound. I am still working my way through the discs, so can't say how much is afflicted. Never throughout an entire disc, and only certain short pieces. So far, the concertos, except the worn out parts of the Liszt, and
    sonatas are fine. The "Emperor" presumably from master pressings, is outstandingly good. The Turkish excerpt I mentioned is really disc 5. Can't see! Items with flute, also on APR, are affected, mostly in the flute passages. Probably less than an hour's
    worth notably afflicted so far, but I have a way to go through the 78s. I am listening on Amphion speakers and they have a very strong treble "presence." Other models or headphones or higher listening levels than my lease permit might yield different
    results, maybe less so with a treble rolloff. Surface noise is strong on some tracks.
    explains.

Lordy, Ward's Rachmaninoff set for RCA was thirty years ago. Reports are RCA messed with it. If you haven't heard his other work, including an ongoing Rach (one cd to go) for Naxos, you are missing a lot of the best. The Sony crowd is mostly good. They
    have had a few misses but acceptable, and sometimes better, esp. with lacquer-based Columbias. Keith Hardwick died years, maybe a couple decades, ago. That Schnabel set is even older than the RCA. I don't think Keith had anything to do with EMI's noise
    reduction during the cd era. When he retired and started working for Testament and Pearl, the surface noise reassuringly returned. As for experts, I surely am not one, and if you gathered them all in a room, I doubt there would much agreement even about
    the weather.

DH

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pluted Pup@21:1/5 to Pluted Pup on Thu Jan 26 17:40:47 2023
    On Sat, 21 Jan 2023 12:00:33 -0800, Pluted Pup wrote:

my ears, just to be certain that I can isolate it. There is definitely an issue with this Warner edition. What should I do?

UPDATE. I started to listen to disc 3, which has the Liszt First Piano Concerto. The sound of this is simply unacceptable for an

have wondered if Art & Son is limited mostly to whatever Warner has in their archives. Independents like Seth Winner, who had a Gieseking series on Pearl, and Ward Marston, who made a number of Gieseking transfers for Naxos, have access
    to
    a
    network of collectors and institutions and can track down the best copies from anywhere in the world. I mention this because it has happened before. In the otherwise outstanding Furtwängler complete set, the discs used by Art & Son for the

To me it sounds like a metallic resonance. You might think your tweeter was damaged or a piece of metal vibrating. Such noises are not uncommon on distorting or worn piano recordings, but this is subtly different, higher pitched and rather
    disembodied from the musical sound. I am still working my way through the discs, so can't say how much is afflicted. Never throughout an entire disc, and only certain short pieces. So far, the concertos, except the worn out parts of the Liszt, and
    sonatas are fine. The "Emperor" presumably from master pressings, is outstandingly good. The Turkish excerpt I mentioned is really disc 5. Can't see! Items with flute, also on APR, are affected, mostly in the flute passages. Probably less than an hour's
    worth notably afflicted so far, but I have a way to go through the 78s. I am listening on Amphion speakers and they have a very strong treble "presence." Other models or headphones or higher listening levels than my lease permit might yield different

I listened to the first 3 CDs. It sounds like ringing on a few
    tracks, it is not steady but only during loud notes. It's the
    worst with the beginning of the second CD with the Grieg Lyric
    pieces. With the ringing only on loud notes it resembles the
    sound of players with lousy speakers that are worn out or
    underpowered, like some boom boxes I've tried to use playing
    piano music CDs.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pluted Pup@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 26 18:11:06 2023
    On Sat, 21 Jan 2023 16:05:34 -0800, drh8h wrote:

it is a processing sound and 78 surface noise by itself doesn't sound like ringing to me.

my hi fi system is a digital ringing at roughly the freqency area around and above piano middle C. I have made digital transfers of old material myself and recall this issues as arising from some lack of synchronisation in the DAC. Unfortunately, I don't have
    the knowledge to diagnose the fault precisely. It is, however, a fault. I've checked other historical recordings on my systems and my ears, just to be certain that I can isolate it. There is definitely an issue with this Warner edition. What should I do? Will Warner recall the discs and replace the faulty ones? Since I've sampled three discs so far and found the same fault on each one, I'm not optimistic about the rest.

UPDATE. I started to listen to disc 3, which has the Liszt First Piano Concerto. The sound of this is simply unacceptable for an issue by a major company. There is considerable distortion and
    do the transfers and a lack of checking further up the chain. I'm surprised, because other Warner boxes, e.g. the Barbirolli, have been excellent. I'm returning the set to Amazon and hope that Warner will do the decent thing and bring all the discs in the Gieseking set up to their usual high standard.

I just, finally, received this box yesterday, so haven't listened to much, but sampled some tracks and went through disc 1. Notably, some of the Homocords on that earliest disc are the Seth Winner transfers from the previous outstanding APR
    issue. I am not sure why they didn't use all of Seth's work. There is not problem with any of "his" tracks. Gieseking completists need to get the APR because it includes the Brunswick recordings. The Mozart "Turkish" excerpt on disc 6 is similarly
    afflicted with the ringing sound. I have not the knowledge to know what the problem is, but I am guessing it occurred late in the mastering phase. As for the Liszt Concerto, what is most noticeable to me is the extremely worn condition of the first
    movement. I have wondered if Art & Son is limited mostly to whatever Warner has in their archives. Independents like Seth Winner, who had a Gieseking series on Pearl, and Ward Marston, who made a number of Gieseking transfers for Naxos, have access
    to
    a

worth notably afflicted so far, but I have a way to go through the 78s. I am listening on Amphion speakers and they have a very strong treble "presence." Other models or headphones or higher listening levels than my lease permit might yield
    different
    explains.

Lordy, Ward's Rachmaninoff set for RCA was thirty years ago.

30 years ago but remains the current version. It was reissued
    in the early 2000's and removed information from the booklet,
    not even including recording dates.

Reports are RCA messed with it.

But they libeled Ward Marston by only listing him as
    the engineer and not listing the mastering engineer who
    did the severe noise reduction.

If you haven't heard his other work, including an ongoing Rach (one cd to go) for Naxos, you are missing a lot of the best.

Are the Naxos discs Ward Marston's original masters before
    RCA ruined them or are they a different master?

The Sony crowd is mostly good. They have had a few misses but acceptable, and sometimes better, esp. with lacquer-based Columbias. Keith Hardwick died years, maybe a couple decades, ago. That Schnabel set is even older than the RCA. I don't think Keith
    had anything to do with EMI's noise reduction during the cd era. When he retired and started working for Testament and Pearl, the surface noise reassuringly returned.

He was libeled by EMI, by only including his name as engineer
    and not the name of the mastering engineer who applied the
    "NoNoise/Cedar".

As for experts, I surely am not one, and if you gathered them all in a room, I doubt there would much agreement even about the weather.

We need analysis and explanation from experts, the only
    disagreement would be how to use the resulting information.
    Mastering information is critical to the sound of a
    recording.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From vhorowitz@21:1/5 to Pluted Pup on Thu Jan 26 18:55:49 2023
    On Thursday, January 26, 2023 at 8:11:14 PM UTC-6, Pluted Pup wrote:
    On Sat, 21 Jan 2023 16:05:34 -0800, drh8h wrote:

I don't know what the listeners are saying by "ringing" sound. Are they just complaining about surface noise? But they say

This amazon review doesn't say enough, I can't tell what is being talked about, why is the Liszt Concerto unacceptable, Presto saying it is from 1936, not from the early 1920's:

This is an early response based on sampling discs 1, 2, & 6. Unfortunately there seems to be a fault in the production of these discs. I'm well aware that these are very old recordings and are bound to sound poor in comparison to Gieseking's later recordings, but the issue I'm having both on my computer and on my hi fi system is a digital ringing at roughly the freqency area
    old material myself and recall this issues as arising from some lack of synchronisation in the DAC. Unfortunately, I don't have the knowledge to diagnose the fault precisely. It is, however, a fault. I've checked other historical recordings on my systems and
    my ears, just to be certain that I can isolate it. There is definitely an issue with this Warner edition. What should I do? Will Warner recall the discs and replace the faulty ones? Since I've sampled three discs so far and found the same fault on each one, I'm not optimistic about the rest.

UPDATE. I started to listen to disc 3, which has the Liszt First Piano Concerto. The sound of this is simply unacceptable for an issue by a major company. There is considerable distortion and that same digital ringing I noted on other discs. All of this indicates an unbelievably sloppy job by whoever was employed to do the transfers and a lack of checking further up the chain. I'm
    surprised, because other Warner boxes, e.g. the Barbirolli, have been excellent. I'm returning the set to Amazon and hope that Warner will do the decent thing and bring all the discs in the Gieseking set up to their usual high standard.

Started sampling some of the discs in the new Gieseking boxed set on Warner, and on some of the 1930's tracks I'm wondering if there are issues with the remastering: an annoying ringing tone. There is a review on Amazon that
    describes this in more detail. Anyone else hearing things?

I just, finally, received this box yesterday, so haven't listened to much, but sampled some tracks and went through disc 1. Notably, some of the Homocords on that earliest disc are the Seth Winner transfers from the previous outstanding APR
    issue. I am not sure why they didn't use all of Seth's work. There is not problem with any of "his" tracks. Gieseking completists need to get the APR because it includes the Brunswick recordings. The Mozart "Turkish" excerpt on disc 6 is similarly
    afflicted with the ringing sound. I have not the knowledge to know what the problem is, but I am guessing it occurred late in the mastering phase. As for the Liszt Concerto, what is most noticeable to me is the extremely worn condition of the first
    movement. I have wondered if Art & Son is limited mostly to whatever Warner has in their archives. Independents like Seth Winner, who had a Gieseking series on Pearl, and Ward Marston, who made a number of Gieseking transfers for Naxos, have access
    to
    a

worth notably afflicted so far, but I have a way to go through the 78s. I am listening on Amphion speakers and they have a very strong treble "presence." Other models or headphones or higher listening levels than my lease permit might yield
    different
    explains.

Lordy, Ward's Rachmaninoff set for RCA was thirty years ago.
    30 years ago but remains the current version. It was reissued
    in the early 2000's and removed information from the booklet,
    not even including recording dates.
    Reports are RCA messed with it.
    But they libeled Ward Marston by only listing him as
    the engineer and not listing the mastering engineer who
    did the severe noise reduction.
    If you haven't heard his other work, including an ongoing Rach (one cd to go) for Naxos, you are missing a lot of the best.
    Are the Naxos discs Ward Marston's original masters before
    RCA ruined them or are they a different master?
    The Sony crowd is mostly good. They have had a few misses but acceptable, and sometimes better, esp. with lacquer-based Columbias. Keith Hardwick died years, maybe a couple decades, ago. That Schnabel set is even older than the RCA. I don't think
    Keith had anything to do with EMI's noise reduction during the cd era. When he retired and started working for Testament and Pearl, the surface noise reassuringly returned.
    He was libeled by EMI, by only including his name as engineer
    and not the name of the mastering engineer who applied the
    "NoNoise/Cedar".
    As for experts, I surely am not one, and if you gathered them all in a room, I doubt there would much agreement even about the weather.
    We need analysis and explanation from experts, the only
    disagreement would be how to use the resulting information.
    Mastering information is critical to the sound of a
    recording.

You might get answers from the “experts” if your posts were a bit less filled with wild conjecture and assumptions. I will answer one question. Ward Marston’s Naxos Rachmaninoff (and anything else for them) are newly transferred. Naxos has never
    altered what he has provided them. As far as your other statements….you pay your money and use your ears. Then perhaps if you ask nicely, some of the experts won’t be put off by your abrasive attitude and will chime in with more information.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to vhorowitz on Thu Jan 26 20:50:20 2023
    On Thursday, January 26, 2023 at 6:55:54 PM UTC-8, vhorowitz wrote:

….you pay your money and use your ears.

better yet, use one's ears
    before paying the money.

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Oscar@21:1/5 to vhorowitz on Thu Jan 26 20:42:57 2023
    On Thursday, January 26, 2023 at 6:55:54 PM, vhorowitz wrote:

You might get answers from the “experts” if your posts were a bit less filled with wild conjecture
    and assumptions. I will answer one question. Ward Marston’s Naxos Rachmaninoff (and anything
    else for them) are newly transferred. Naxos has never altered what he has provided them. As far as
    your other statements….you pay your money and use your ears. Then perhaps if you ask nicely, some
    of the experts won’t be put off by your abrasive attitude and will chime in with more information.

No, _your_ assumptions!! The Ward Marston Rachmaninov to which Pup refers is the RCA Gold Seal integrale of Rach's recordings for Victor. Previously issued on LPs in 1973, tt was spread over 10 CDs and Mr. Marston only _transferred_ the source material
    into the digital domain. He did _not_ turn the dials at the mastering stage. That was done by RCA house engineers, who royally screwed the pooch, butchered—butchered!–the music using the CEDAR noise reduction system, and left Marston's sterling work
    sounding just plain strange. Fuzzy, opaque, indistinct. Total crapola! One of the more infamous hack jobs in the history of archival restorations.

Thought you'd know that story. Guess I assumed incorrectly.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 26 20:53:56 2023
    On Saturday, January 21, 2023 at 4:05:37 PM UTC-8, drh8h wrote:

As for experts, I surely am not one,
    and if you gathered them all in a
    room, I doubt there would much
    agreement even about the weather.

If all the experts are gathered in one
    room the only possible outcome is a
    thermonuclear reaction.

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From vhorowitz@21:1/5 to Oscar on Fri Jan 27 13:37:39 2023
    On Thursday, January 26, 2023 at 10:43:00 PM UTC-6, Oscar wrote:
    On Thursday, January 26, 2023 at 6:55:54 PM, vhorowitz wrote:

You might get answers from the “experts” if your posts were a bit less filled with wild conjecture
    and assumptions. I will answer one question. Ward Marston’s Naxos Rachmaninoff (and anything
    else for them) are newly transferred. Naxos has never altered what he has provided them. As far as
    your other statements….you pay your money and use your ears. Then perhaps if you ask nicely, some
    of the experts won’t be put off by your abrasive attitude and will chime in with more information.
    No, _your_ assumptions!! The Ward Marston Rachmaninov to which Pup refers is the RCA Gold Seal integrale of Rach's recordings for Victor. Previously issued on LPs in 1973, tt was spread over 10 CDs and Mr. Marston only _transferred_ the source material
    into the digital domain. He did _not_ turn the dials at the mastering stage. That was done by RCA house engineers, who royally screwed the pooch, butchered—butchered!–the music using the CEDAR noise reduction system, and left Marston's sterling work
    sounding just plain strange. Fuzzy, opaque, indistinct. Total crapola! One of the more infamous hack jobs in the history of archival restorations.

Thought you'd know that story. Guess I assumed incorrectly.

Sorry if I was unclear, but that 10 cd set is what I was referring to as well, and I know the story well. He did more than merely transfer it to the digital domain, but yes, it was royally screwed up indeed in the final mastering stage. Some people
    reported that a later repressing sounds different, but I’ve never been able to confirm that. The first pressings also developed an odd sort of “rot” on the discs making them unplayable. Perhaps some of us remember the VERY first RCA/BMG single CD
    in the early days of CDs with the 2nd and 3rd concerti (https://www.discogs.com/release/15890785-Rachmaninoff-Stokowski-OrmandyPhiladelphia-Orchestra-Rachmaninoff-Plays-Rachmaninoff-Concertos-Nos-2)….it was an unbelievable botch job…off pitch,
    seemingly played w/ an lp stylus…..it was quickly withdrawn and Ward was actually asked to do a replacement which was quietly substituted. I think that was his first work for them. Some of us I’m sure also remember how they goofed up one of the
    older Monteux sets (15 cds??) and one disc ended up about a major 3rd sharp….that Was corrected, but guess which one made it to the later (but very OOP nonetheless) 40 cd Monteux edition? Yes, the SHARP one!! And that never was corrected! Was it D’
    Indy? Can’t recall now.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Al Eisner@21:1/5 to Dan Koren on Fri Jan 27 15:48:39 2023
    On Thu, 26 Jan 2023, Dan Koren wrote:

thermonuclear reaction.

dk

Have you informed Lawrence Livermoer Lab of this?
    --
    Al Eisner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to Al Eisner on Sat Jan 28 12:11:29 2023
    On Friday, January 27, 2023 at 3:48:47 PM UTC-8, Al Eisner wrote:

thermonuclear reaction.

They've known this for a long time.
    This is exactly what happened
    when they assembled all the
    experts at Los Alamos in

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Owen Hartnett@21:1/5 to Dan Koren on Sat Jan 28 23:19:03 2023
    On 2023-01-28 20:11:29 +0000, Dan Koren said:

thermonuclear reaction.

experts at Los Alamos in

Uh...the 1945 bombs was the original atomic (fission) bomb. A
    thermonuclear reaction is a hydrogen (fusion) bomb. Lawrence Livermore
    knows this, but don't tell anyone else (shhhh....)

-Owen

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From raymond.hallbear1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Owen Hartnett on Sat Jan 28 20:40:50 2023
    On Sunday, 29 January 2023 at 15:19:12 UTC+11, Owen Hartnett wrote:

thermonuclear reaction.

experts at Los Alamos in

-Owen

Little Boy was U235, whereas Fat Man was Plutonium. Trinity (U235) was actually more successful than both, and nobody got killed.

Ray Hall, Taree

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Owen Hartnett@21:1/5 to raymond....@gmail.com on Sun Jan 29 11:39:04 2023
    On 2023-01-29 04:40:50 +0000, raymond....@gmail.com said:

On Sunday, 29 January 2023 at 15:19:12 UTC+11, Owen Hartnett wrote:

thermonuclear reaction.

experts at Los Alamos in

-Owen

Little Boy was U235, whereas Fat Man was Plutonium. Trinity (U235) was actually more successful than both, and nobody got killed.

(Can't seem to edit out the quotes below. My comment not Ray's!)

Yes, but Trinity, Little boy and Fat Man were fission bombs. Little
    Boy was a gun style (shoot a block of uranium into more uranium), where
    Fat Man used shaped charges to compress the plutonium. Thermonuclear,
    where a fission bomb was used to ignite a nuclear fusion bomb (the
    nuclear power the sun uses), and much higher megaton yields, came a few
    years after the war.

-Owen

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05