• Sources for hard-to-find OOP CDs

From Jonathan Ben Schragadove@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 30 22:41:27 2022
    Seeking more suggestions on where to find out-of-print CDs besides discogs, ebay, amazon, cdandlp, berkshire record outlet, etc. Thank you.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to Jonathan Ben Schragadove on Wed Nov 30 23:03:15 2022
    On Wednesday, November 30, 2022 at 10:41:30 PM UTC-8, Jonathan Ben Schragadove wrote:

Seeking more suggestions on where to
    find out-of-print CDs besides discogs,
    ebay, amazon, cdandlp, berkshire
    record outlet, etc. Thank you.

Download them from YT or any
    other source and burn them! ;-)

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jonathan Ben Schragadove@21:1/5 to dan....@gmail.com on Wed Nov 30 23:08:22 2022
    On Wednesday, November 30, 2022 at 11:03:17 PM UTC-8, dan....@gmail.com wrote:
    On Wednesday, November 30, 2022 at 10:41:30 PM UTC-8, Jonathan Ben Schragadove wrote:

dk
    I do that as well, but first choice is still to try and track down an official copy (preferably new, although the "near mint" used discs I've bought from highly rated sellers have been fine).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Herman@21:1/5 to Jonathan Ben Schragadove on Wed Nov 30 23:59:50 2022
    On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 7:41:30 AM UTC+1, Jonathan Ben Schragadove wrote:
    Seeking more suggestions on where to find out-of-print CDs besides discogs, ebay, amazon, cdandlp, berkshire record outlet, etc.

well, that's really a lot of options, if you're not in or near a city that hosts one or two used cd-stores

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to Jonathan Ben Schragadove on Thu Dec 1 01:22:17 2022
    On Wednesday, November 30, 2022 at 11:08:24 PM UTC-8, Jonathan Ben Schragadove wrote:
    On Wednesday, November 30, 2022 at 11:03:17 PM UTC-8, dan....@gmail.com wrote:

I do that as well, but first choice is
    still to try and track down an official
    copy (preferably new, although the
    "near mint" used discs I've bought
    from highly rated sellers have been
    fine).

One can also borrow from libraries.

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Clarke@21:1/5 to Jonathan Ben Schragadove on Thu Dec 1 12:40:03 2022
    On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 5:41:30 PM UTC+11, Jonathan Ben Schragadove wrote:
    Seeking more suggestions on where to find out-of-print CDs besides discogs, ebay, amazon, cdandlp, berkshire record outlet, etc. Thank you.

It's getting harder and harder to buy new CDs, let alone OOP ones, which must be making life harder and harder for people like yourself who collect and appreciate the physical object in its own right, as well as the music it contains.

You could of course wait until somebody rereleases it on vinyl ... I wonder if the NY Phil will take a leaf out of Taylor Swift's book and release its next recording of Beethoven's Eroica as an LP to be sold in eight versions, each with a different
    coloured sleeve and a different overture as a filler?

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Herman@21:1/5 to andrewc...@gmail.com on Thu Dec 1 13:50:52 2022
    On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 9:40:06 PM UTC+1, andrewc...@gmail.com wrote:

I wonder if the NY Phil will take a leaf out of Taylor Swift's book and release its next recording of Beethoven's Eroica as an LP to be sold in eight versions, each with a different coloured sleeve and a different overture as a filler?

I'm taking a wild guess here, but I suspect Taylor Swift sells a lot more than the NYPhil playing Beethoven, making it possible to produce expensive product.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Todd M. McComb@21:1/5 to herstx@yahoo.com on Thu Dec 1 23:10:25 2022
    In article <e8cfe70a-34cd-42a9-8f0c-3f55a660a961n@googlegroups.com>,
    Herman <herstx@yahoo.com> wrote:
    I'm taking a wild guess here, but I suspect Taylor Swift sells a
    lot more than the NYPhil playing Beethoven, making it possible to
    produce expensive product.

Your guess might well be right, but the conclusion about possibility
    isn't warranted. In fact, in my end of the musical pool, experimental improvisation & the like, you can find the same sort of thing...
    different physical artifacts being released around the same material,
    varying colors & contents etc., in release runs of e.g. 50. (Yes,
    you read that number right.) Meanwhile, the digital product is
    available in straightforward fashion. The physical artifacts,
    though, are... fundraisers.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Berger@21:1/5 to Andrew Clarke on Thu Dec 1 18:02:39 2022
    On 12/1/2022 3:40 PM, Andrew Clarke wrote:
    On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 5:41:30 PM UTC+11, Jonathan Ben Schragadove wrote:

It's getting harder and harder to buy new CDs,

I don't seem to have a problem buying new CDs, or used ones, for that matter. If you mean buying in real stores, then of course you are right. There is the occasional OOP item that must have been released in small numbers that you almost never see
    offered for sale used. I've got a list of 6 or 7 of them, most notably Timofeyeva's Haydn sonatas, released in Japan on Venezia. I know I can download them and may, eventually.

let alone OOP ones, which must be making life harder and harder for people like yourself who collect and appreciate the physical object in its own right, as well as the music it contains.

You could of course wait until somebody rereleases it on vinyl ... I wonder if the NY Phil will take a leaf out of Taylor Swift's book and release its next recording of Beethoven's Eroica as an LP to be sold in eight versions, each with a different
    coloured sleeve and a different overture as a filler?

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Herman@21:1/5 to Todd M. McComb on Fri Dec 2 00:49:03 2022
    On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 12:10:30 AM UTC+1, Todd M. McComb wrote:

isn't warranted. In fact, in my end of the musical pool, experimental improvisation & the like, you can find the same sort of thing...

Haha, the deep end of the pool!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jonathan Ben Schragadove@21:1/5 to Jonathan Ben Schragadove on Fri Dec 2 12:32:40 2022
    Just heard today that Norbeck, Peters, & Ford have closed. https://www.norpete.com/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Oscar@21:1/5 to Jonathan Ben Schragadove on Sat Dec 3 22:57:35 2022
    On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 12:32:43 PM, Jonathan Ben Schragadove wrote:

Just heard today that Norbeck, Peters, & Ford have closed.

Oh dear. God bless Mr. Peters.

David Norbeck (1937-2018)
    Jim Peters
    Peter Ford (1945-2021)

Since 1972.

<< Fifty years in a non-stop and profitable business represents a great achievement and one which I enormously enjoyed - until this past 13 months. As most of you know, I lost David four years ago, followed by the loss of Peter who died at the end of
    September, 2021. Peter's incomparable manner of dealing with our large list of satisfied clients is a severe loss to so many with whom he had established many long-term relationships. Peter had the patience of a saint and thoroughly enjoyed his numerous
    conversations. Peter's death was only the beginning of a downward spiral in our business to which the post-Covid economy contributed very considerably. Now, Norbeck, Peters & Ford has been reduced to our remarkable Gail and myself, and Gail is leaving
    today to follow her own pursuits. This leaves me with no choice other than to close down the website and Norbeck, Peters & Ford as we all have been known during all these many years.

But I must be prepared to evolve, so while Norbeck, Peters & Ford will cease to operate in the first days of December, your collecting needs will continue to be met by me as I will be selling items from my vast personal collection of CDs, 78s, LPs, Books
    and Ephemera. Please contact me at the addresses at the end of this message.

It is with the greatest sincerity that I appreciate and have enjoyed your faithful patronage during all these years. My hope is that we all may move forward together. When you phone, if you do not reach me directly, please speak with the delightful René
    e who is now joining me as I reduce my personal collection. As you already know, my collection of offerings harkens from a time when the astute listener could identify the conductor of a symphony from the style of its performance before the cookie-cutter
    conductors became globe-trotters leading homogenized orchestras in far-flung cities, and when instrumentalists and singers lived, emotionally, entirely onstage, rather than rushing back to the green room to check text messages. Their lives and their
    music were thus entirely entwined. They performed in the manner in which they lived – with balance in their lifestyles.

In appreciation and warmest regards,

I remain,

-Jim Peters >>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Clarke@21:1/5 to Todd M. McComb on Mon Dec 5 04:09:34 2022
    On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 10:10:30 AM UTC+11, Todd M. McComb wrote:
    In article <e8cfe70a-34cd-42a9...@googlegroups.com>,
    Herman <her...@yahoo.com> wrote:

The next issue is, of course, will there be anything on which to play a physical CD, apart from DVD readers attached to tablets. You can also play the physical discs on BluRay or DVD players, but there's no guarantee that playback will be gapless.

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jonathan Ben Schragadove@21:1/5 to andrewc...@gmail.com on Mon Dec 5 11:04:37 2022
    On Monday, December 5, 2022 at 4:09:37 AM UTC-8, andrewc...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 10:10:30 AM UTC+11, Todd M. McComb wrote:
    In article <e8cfe70a-34cd-42a9...@googlegroups.com>,
    Herman <her...@yahoo.com> wrote:
    different physical artifacts being released around the same material, varying colors & contents etc., in release runs of e.g. 50. (Yes,
    The next issue is, of course, will there be anything on which to play a physical CD, apart from DVD readers attached to tablets. You can also play the physical discs on BluRay or DVD players, but there's no guarantee that playback will be gapless.

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

There's also no guarantee that the sound will be decent - I tried playing a CD in my DVD player and it sounded dreadful.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Todd M. McComb@21:1/5 to ybschragadove@gmail.com on Mon Dec 5 19:29:35 2022
    In article <01c4ec53-1dbe-412b-8809-1b036dea70f3n@googlegroups.com>,
    Jonathan Ben Schragadove <ybschragadove@gmail.com> wrote:
    There's also no guarantee that the sound will be decent - I tried
    playing a CD in my DVD player and it sounded dreadful.

Well you need a decent DAC. That's true of downloads too.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From sci.space@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 6 05:11:47 2022
    There's also no guarantee that the sound will be decent - I tried
    playing a CD in my DVD player and it sounded dreadful.
    Well you need a decent DAC. That's true of downloads too

My Oppo 203 sounds reasonable to me. I currently use the HDMI output and the DACs in a fairly decent Yamaha AVR, a 3060. All "enhancements" turned off.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?Q?N=C3=A9stor_Castiglione?=@21:1/5 to Jonathan Ben Schragadove on Wed Dec 7 15:00:56 2022

You pretty much named all the online options available in the US. If you're interested in rare CDs by Latin American musicians and composers, there's Mercado Libre; for Japan, try Yahoo Auctions Japan, Mercari, and Rakuten. (Knowledge and ability to type
    in kana/kanji is strongly suggested for the latter.) For all these choices you (and your bank) have to be located in Latin America or Japan respectively; or you can use a third-party to receive goods on your behalf. Shipping from Latin America isn't too
    expensive in most cases, but it can be slow and, depending on which country your package is coming from, there may be a small, but not insignificant probability of theft. Japanese packages are typically shipped via DHL, UPS, and Federal Express. Japan
    Post is sometimes an option, but they can be slow and, depending on certain factors, may abruptly cancel service temporarily to some countries with little notice. I've never had a problem with misleading product descriptions and shoddy packaging from
    Japanese sellers. (Years ago, some eBay seller in Arizona sent me a CD I had won inside of a Ziploc bag sealed with duct tape!) Shipping from Japan was already expensive to begin with; the pandemic made it worse. That being said, if you ship in large
    amount, at least a dozen or more CDs at a time, the cost overall becomes more reasonable. But if you buy just one or two discs at a time, don't be surprised to find that the shipping comes out to be the same or even more than what you paid for the actual
    CDs.

If you happen to live in a sizable city, take a browse through local used book shops and thrift stores. You may be surprised at what you find.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jonathan Ben Schragadove@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 7 20:52:33 2022
    On Wednesday, December 7, 2022 at 3:01:00 PM UTC-8, Néstor Castiglione wrote:
    You pretty much named all the online options available in the US. If you're interested in rare CDs by Latin American musicians and composers, there's Mercado Libre; for Japan, try Yahoo Auctions Japan, Mercari, and Rakuten. (Knowledge and ability to
    type in kana/kanji is strongly suggested for the latter.) For all these choices you (and your bank) have to be located in Latin America or Japan respectively; or you can use a third-party to receive goods on your behalf. Shipping from Latin America isn't
    too expensive in most cases, but it can be slow and, depending on which country your package is coming from, there may be a small, but not insignificant probability of theft. Japanese packages are typically shipped via DHL, UPS, and Federal Express.
    Japan Post is sometimes an option, but they can be slow and, depending on certain factors, may abruptly cancel service temporarily to some countries with little notice. I've never had a problem with misleading product descriptions and shoddy packaging
    from Japanese sellers. (Years ago, some eBay seller in Arizona sent me a CD I had won inside of a Ziploc bag sealed with duct tape!) Shipping from Japan was already expensive to begin with; the pandemic made it worse. That being said, if you ship in
    large amount, at least a dozen or more CDs at a time, the cost overall becomes more reasonable. But if you buy just one or two discs at a time, don't be surprised to find that the shipping comes out to be the same or even more than what you paid for the
    actual CDs.

If you happen to live in a sizable city, take a browse through local used book shops and thrift stores. You may be surprised at what you find.

Thanks, Néstor. I hope the Ziploc bag was at least a new one and not recycled from the seller's bagged lunch!

Another source that I didn't mention in my original post is Alibris - no issues at all with recent transactions.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05