• Re: Beethoven's Deafness

From gggg gggg@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 19 22:06:17 2022
    On Tuesday, April 2, 2019 at 8:30:35 PM UTC-7,wrote:
    On Thursday, July 13, 2000 at 9:00:00 PM UTC-10, jpas...@my-deja.com wrote:
    Is it true that by the time Beethoven was composing his 9th that he had gone deaf?

I would suspect that with a composition like that one evolving in his head, he could have simply quit listening to people.

Cheers,
    John in Cancun

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
    Before you buy.
    https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.music.classical/DLDq4wP-H0I

(2022 Y. upload):

"Why Did Beethoven Write Music He Couldn’t Hear Performed?"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Herman@21:1/5 to gggg gggg on Sun Nov 20 00:13:02 2022
    On Sunday, November 20, 2022 at 7:06:20 AM UTC+1, gggg gggg wrote:

"Why Did Beethoven Write Music He Couldn’t Hear Performed?"

Well, the answer to that question is pretty easy (and twofold): Beethoven wrote music for a living, which is why (for instance) he wrote another finale to the opus 130 quartet, to replace the Grosse Fugue and publish this seperately. One work for the
    price of two!
    And, of course, the other reason why was he was still figuring out creative stuff in his mind, and so he wrote music.
    The idea that it is inconceivable and extraordinary that Beethoven wrote music without hearing it in actual eventual form is naive. Mozart did the exact same thing. Mozart never heard his last and greatest symphonies. He didn't need to. He heard them in
    his head. That's what happens when you're a great composer rather than a guy figuring out stuff on a guitar - there are about fifty guitars in the background in this clip.
    Also, I cannot help but wonder at this Beato guy who almost swoons, "Ah beautiful," at what is pretty much a scale. It's great that a guy is addressing a rock audience about Beethoven (he also listens to Bach while emoting for the camera), but maybe he
    should just enroll in a Music is like Chocolate School and do headbanging classes.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to Herman on Sun Nov 20 00:16:18 2022
    On Sunday, November 20, 2022 at 12:13:04 AM UTC-8, Herman wrote:

but maybe he should just enroll in a
    Music is like Chocolate School and
    do headbanging classes.

Is this how you learned to fiddle?

And you should know chocolate
    is better than music -- far better!

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05