• Re: Faur'e without bloatware.

From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to andrewc...@gmail.com on Thu Nov 3 17:12:06 2022
    On Thursday, November 3, 2022 at 4:57:43 PM UTC-7, andrewc...@gmail.com wrote:

I have just downloaded a recent recording of the Faur'e Requiem by
    Ensemble Aedes and Les Siecles, using a reconstruction of the 1893
    version,. The orchestration is for violas, cellos, basses, harp, horns, trumpets, trombones, organ and violin solo. I love it, although the
    chamber choir may be a little too recessed at times. Soloists are
    from the choir.

They didn't "debloat" the singers ?!?

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Andrew Clarke@21:1/5 to All on Thu Nov 3 16:57:41 2022
    I have just downloaded a recent recording of the Faur'e Requiem by Ensemble Aedes and Les Siecles, using a reconstruction of the 1893 version,. The orchestration is for violas, cellos, basses, harp, horns, trumpets, trombones, organ and violin solo. I
    love it, although the chamber choir may be a little too recessed at times. Soloists are from the choir.
    My other version of this work is a reconstruction of the score used at the original performance at an actual funeral at the Madelaine - four violas divisi, four cellos divisi, violin solo, organ. It is from tbe Oxford Camerata and was issued by Naxos
    many years ago. I don't own a copy of the slushy version for full orchestra produced by Faur'e's publisher and do not intend to do so.

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Clarke@21:1/5 to dan....@gmail.com on Thu Nov 3 17:16:49 2022
    On Friday, November 4, 2022 at 11:12:09 AM UTC+11, dan....@gmail.com wrote:

Ensemble Aedes and Les Siecles, using a reconstruction of the 1893 version,. The orchestration is for violas, cellos, basses, harp, horns, trumpets, trombones, organ and violin solo. I love it, although the
    from the choir.

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to All on Thu Nov 3 17:16:12 2022
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_k-C_7bEfKJzE2kyWdphg7cU70w_sHbboQ

Interesting, though not entirely convincing.

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Clarke@21:1/5 to dan....@gmail.com on Thu Nov 3 17:35:39 2022
    On Friday, November 4, 2022 at 11:16:15 AM UTC+11, dan....@gmail.com wrote:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_k-C_7bEfKJzE2kyWdphg7cU70w_sHbboQ

Interesting, though not entirely convincing.

dk

Another interesting French ensemble is Le Poeme Harmonique, under Vincent Dumestre.

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Clarke@21:1/5 to dan....@gmail.com on Thu Nov 3 17:24:51 2022
    On Friday, November 4, 2022 at 11:12:09 AM UTC+11, dan....@gmail.com wrote:

Ensemble Aedes and Les Siecles, using a reconstruction of the 1893 version,. The orchestration is for violas, cellos, basses, harp, horns, trumpets, trombones, organ and violin solo. I love it, although the
    from the choir.

dk

Judging from the photograph of Ensemble Aedes, they didn't need to. All young, slim, good-looking and very French ...

I forgot to mention that like the Oxford Camerata they use the traditional French pronunciation of ecclesiastical Latin, which Faure would have expected, and this really does make a difference.

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Clarke@21:1/5 to Andrew Clarke on Thu Nov 3 23:44:51 2022
    On Friday, November 4, 2022 at 10:57:43 AM UTC+11, Andrew Clarke wrote:
    I have just downloaded a recent recording of the Faur'e Requiem by Ensemble Aedes and Les Siecles, using a reconstruction of the 1893 version,. The orchestration is for violas, cellos, basses, harp, horns, trumpets, trombones, organ and violin solo. I
    love it, although the chamber choir may be a little too recessed at times. Soloists are from the choir.

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

Also on this recording are overpoweringly beautiful performances of Poulenc's Figure humaine and Debussy's Trois chansons de Charles d'Orleans. Wonderful singing.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris J.@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 5 12:50:38 2022
    On 3 Nov 2022 Andrew Clarke wrote:

Ensemble Aedes and Les Siecles, using a reconstruction of the 1893
    version,. The orchestration is for violas, cellos, basses, harp, horns, trumpets, trombones, organ and violin solo.

My other version of this work is a reconstruction of the score used at
    the original performance at an actual funeral at the Madelaine - four
    violas divisi, four cellos divisi, violin solo, organ.

Philippe Herreweghe recorded both the "Madeleine version" and the "concert version" of Fauré's requiem.

Chris

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Clarke@21:1/5 to Chris J. on Sat Nov 5 18:35:45 2022
    On Saturday, November 5, 2022 at 11:50:42 PM UTC+11, Chris J. wrote:
    On 3 Nov 2022 Andrew Clarke wrote:

I have just downloaded a recent recording of the Faur'e Requiem by Ensemble Aedes and Les Siecles, using a reconstruction of the 1893 version,. The orchestration is for violas, cellos, basses, harp, horns, trumpets, trombones, organ and violin solo.
    My other version of this work is a reconstruction of the score used at
    the original performance at an actual funeral at the Madelaine - four violas divisi, four cellos divisi, violin solo, organ.
    Philippe Herreweghe recorded both the "Madeleine version" and the "concert version" of Fauré's requiem.

Chris

Thanks for that, Chris: in fact Herrewege's "Madeleine" version is that of 1893 and the "concert version" is of course the 1900 edition that we know and love. The only recording available of what we might call "the Petite Madeleine" of 1888 is the one by
    Jeremy Summerly and the Oxford Camerata, or "Oxcam" as I believe they are known, which Naxos originally released in the 1990s.

The "Grande Madeleine" of 1893 was also recorded by John Rutter and the Cambridge Singers, but it appears that valuable new information about this version was not available to Rutter because nobody had found it yet. It's also been recorded by Maîtrise
    de Paris with the Orchestre National de France under Laurence Equilbey, with Sandrine Piau and Stéphane Degout as soloists and despite its not being conducted by Sir Simon Rattle, this recording got a rave review from The Gramophone. I must say that
    Degout must be the most inappropriate name for a singer since Schreier.

Andrew Clarke
    Canberra

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05