• Op. 95

    From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 20 20:41:16 2022
    Emerson vs. Julliard?
    Your votes, please!

    TIA

    dk

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Oscar@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 20 21:58:15 2022
    _Which_ Juilliard Serioso, DAN?? C'mon, man! Be precise. Are you asking about the 1960 record (Mann, Cohen, Hillyer, Adam) or the 1970 remake w/ ringers Carlyss and Rhodes replacing Cohen and Hillyer)? Pray tell, 'cos we can't read yr mind. I've
    neglected to get clot-shotted with the most recent booster and my superpowers have been thusly deactivated.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to Oscar on Thu Oct 20 22:08:39 2022
    On Thursday, October 20, 2022 at 9:58:18 PM UTC-7, Oscar wrote:

    _Which_ Juilliard Serioso, DAN?? C'mon, man!
    Be precise. Are you asking about the 1960 record
    (Mann, Cohen, Hillyer, Adam) or the 1970 remake
    w/ ringers Carlyss and Rhodes replacing Cohen
    and Hillyer)? Pray tell, 'cos we can't read yr mind.
    I've neglected to get clot-shotted with the most
    recent booster and my superpowers have been
    thusly deactivated.

    Doesn't matter, pick the best according to your
    ears. Ditto for Emerson.

    dk

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Andy Evans@21:1/5 to All on Fri Oct 21 01:49:54 2022
    Emerson is out from the start - too fast, hacky and vigorous for me. Won't do.

    Julliard...... hmmmm, you could make out a case for them though they're pretty brisk and efficient and not particularly lyrical or singing. Not really to my taste at all, and there are better. In the late Beethoven quartets I like a very horizontal
    approach rather than vertical - long lines rather than power chords. Give the melodic lines plenty of time to breathe - draw them out as much as they need. So the quartets I like here are:
    Vegh 1952
    Hungarian 1955
    Tokyo
    Talich
    Skampa
    Barylli
    Italian

    Earlier is better here, especially the Vegh and Hungarians who are miles ahead. I do like the Tokyo and Talich, and the others on the list are OK too.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to Andy Evans on Fri Oct 21 04:50:59 2022
    On Friday, October 21, 2022 at 1:49:56 AM UTC-7, Andy Evans wrote:
    Emerson is out from the start - too fast, hacky and vigorous for me. Won't do.

    Julliard...... hmmmm, you could make out a case for them though
    they're pretty brisk and efficient and not particularly lyrical or singing. Not really to my taste at all, and there are better. In the late Beethoven quartets I like a very horizontal approach rather than vertical - long lines rather than power chords. Give the melodic lines plenty of time to breathe - draw them out as much as they need. So the quartets I like here are:
    Vegh 1952
    Hungarian 1955
    Tokyo
    Talich
    Skampa
    Barylli
    Italian
    Earlier is better here, especially the Vegh and Hungarians who are miles ahead. I do like the Tokyo and Talich, and the others on the list are OK too.

    Thanks! Need to pull them out of the pile and listen again. Have not heard
    them in a long time.

    dk

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Bob Harper@21:1/5 to Andy Evans on Fri Oct 21 16:54:23 2022
    On 10/21/22 1:49 AM, Andy Evans wrote:
    Emerson is out from the start - too fast, hacky and vigorous for me. Won't do.

    Julliard...... hmmmm, you could make out a case for them though they're pretty brisk and efficient and not particularly lyrical or singing. Not really to my taste at all, and there are better. In the late Beethoven quartets I like a very horizontal
    approach rather than vertical - long lines rather than power chords. Give the melodic lines plenty of time to breathe - draw them out as much as they need. So the quartets I like here are:
    Vegh 1952
    Hungarian 1955
    Tokyo
    Talich
    Skampa
    Barylli
    Italian

    Earlier is better here, especially the Vegh and Hungarians who are miles ahead. I do like the Tokyo and Talich, and the others on the list are OK too.

    I confess to not having heard the 1952 Vegh set. Their stereo set is one
    of my touchstones, however. How would you evaluate the two sets in
    comparison with one another?

    Bob Harper

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to Bob Harper on Sat Oct 22 05:33:07 2022
    On Friday, October 21, 2022 at 4:54:28 PM UTC-7, Bob Harper wrote:

    I confess to not having heard the 1952 Vegh set. Their stereo set is one
    of my touchstones, however. How would you evaluate the two sets in
    comparison with one another?


    The stereo set has double the music! ;-)

    dk

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Andy Evans@21:1/5 to Bob Harper on Sat Oct 22 07:58:47 2022
    On Saturday, 22 October 2022 at 00:54:28 UTC+1, Bob Harper wrote:
    On 10/21/22 1:49 AM, Andy Evans wrote:
    Emerson is out from the start - too fast, hacky and vigorous for me. Won't do.

    Julliard...... hmmmm, you could make out a case for them though they're pretty brisk and efficient and not particularly lyrical or singing. Not really to my taste at all, and there are better. In the late Beethoven quartets I like a very horizontal
    approach rather than vertical - long lines rather than power chords. Give the melodic lines plenty of time to breathe - draw them out as much as they need. So the quartets I like here are:
    Vegh 1952
    Hungarian 1955
    Tokyo
    Talich
    Skampa
    Barylli
    Italian

    Earlier is better here, especially the Vegh and Hungarians who are miles ahead. I do like the Tokyo and Talich, and the others on the list are OK too.
    I confess to not having heard the 1952 Vegh set. Their stereo set is one
    of my touchstones, however. How would you evaluate the two sets in comparison with one another?
    Bob Harper

    Vegh 1952 is on YouTube. I prefer all the older Vegh recordings by some way. Listen to the Hungarians and Talich at the same time. Three excellent recordings.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qyi8g09tmW4&t=123s Vegh 1952 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTrvyOeOeNk Hungarian 1955 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFmQLG3oN94 Talich 1971

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)