• Re: ROOTS ROCK RADIO: Episode #7

From Roger@21:1/5 to Dean on Thu Feb 15 07:42:32 2024
    Dean wrote:

Episode #7 of ROOTS ROCK RADIO is now archived at https://www.mixcloud.com/dean-fiora/roots-rock-radio-1950s-rock-n-roll-episode-7/ Here's the playlist:

5. LONG GONE DADDY, Pat Cupp & The Flying Saucers (1956)

Nice RAB offering that was in plentiful supply here in UK back in the 60's. I imagine one of the early UK RAB pioneers like Breathless Dan or someone found the record in bulk in USA and shipped it in quantity back here

8. LONG TALL SALLY, Little Richard (1956)
    Winner (by just one vote!) of the 1956 Singles Battle and my #1 fave record of that year

10. QUARTER TO THREE, Gary “U.S.” Bonds (1961)

One of the standout records of 1961 #1 in USA and did well over here too on Top Rank label

11. IN THE STILL OF THE NITE (I’ll Remember), The Five Satins (1956)

Criminally never released in UK at the time. We had to wait till 1959 and then it only appeared here as part of an EP "Sweet Beat"--this comprised four songs from the British-made movie of the same name which featured several acts from Al Silver's US
    Herald and Ember labels including The Mello Kings and Lee Allen

17. STAY, Maurice Williams & The Zodiacs (1960)

Another US #1 chart topper and #2 on my list of 1960 faves beaten only by Ray's "Georgia On My Mind"

18. OKIE’S IN THE POKIE, Jimmy Patton (1960)

One of Norm K's biggest faves as I recall. Released twice in 1960 first on Hilligan label then on Sims

25. WHERE OR WHEN, Dion & The Belmonts (1960)

Great revival of the Rodgers & Hart oldie their best slow number IMO

33. LOVIN’ MACHINE, Wynonie Harris

Covered by Teresa Brewer of all people! Yes really!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuYpIEwpD2M

38. MISERLOU, Dick Dale & The Del-Tones (1962)

My #2 favorite instrumental of 1962. Only the great Booker T. beats it

1. Green Onions Booker T. & The MG’s - 1962
    2. Misirlou Dick Dale & Del-Tones - 1962
    3. Soul Twist King Curtis – 1962

45. PALISADES PARK, Freddy Cannon (1962)

It was 1962 before the giant EMI conglomerate here followed in the footsteps of UK Decca in setting up a seperate label to handle all the stuff they licenced from the smaller US independent labels.

So just as Decca had their catch-all "London" label to release stuff from Dot,Sun,Specialty etc so EMI set up a new "Stateside" label to release material they licenced from small US indies

And so in June 1962 we got

Stateside 101 Freddy Cannon - Palisades Park/June July And August

47. NIGHT TRAIN, Jimmy Forrest (1952)

Another standout instrumental and #2 for 1952 on my favorite instrumentals lists

1. Juke Little Walter - 1952
    2. Night Train Jimmy Forest – 1952
    3. Pachuko Hop Chuck Higgins – 1952

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)