• Re: Roots Rock Radio (Episode #6)

From Roger@21:1/5 to Dean on Sun Feb 11 08:03:52 2024
    Dean wrote:

ROOTS ROCK RADIO #6 is now archived at the link below. Here's the playlist:

1. PERFIDIA, The Ventures (1960)

Everyone remembers "As Time Goes By" being used to such wonderful effect in the classic "Casablanca" movie but most forget that a version of "Perfidia" also shines well in that film

7. JAMBALAYA, Brenda Lee (1960)

The song was Brenda's very first recording in July 1956 in a very countryfied version and was her very first single released (as "Little Brenda Lee") and is my favorite version by her.

She re-recorded the song in March 1960 in a new version with Boots Randolph on sax which featured on the "Brenda Lee" LP later that year

8. GOOD ROCKIN’ TONIGHT, Elvis Presley (1954)

My #2 favorite record of 1954 (only beaten by Joe's "Shake Rattle And Roll") and a very high 10

12. TO THE AISLE, The Five Satins (1957)

First recorded (as "The Aisle") by Roy Hamilton earlier in 1957

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ea1TeSE-8E

15. VILLAGE OF LOVE, Nathaniel Mayer & The Fabulous Twilights (1962)

The biggest concurrent selling single Fortune ever had and the only one to get foreign release (as per the UK release in 1962) according to Devora

17. AIN’T THAT A SHAME, Fats Domino (1955)

As it appears on the 1955 UK London single as opposed to the US "Ain't IT A Shame"

26. PROMISED LAND, Chuck Berry (1964)

Ten years later in 1974 we had a nice little number moving copies of Johnnie Allan's remake of this that we'd imported from USA (enough to make Charlie Gillett release it on his Oval label)

But then of course later that year Elvis put his version out and killed the Allan thing stone dead

29. PARTY DOLL, Buddy Knox (1957)

Originally on Triple D label in 1956 b/w "I'm Stickin' With You" by Jim (sic) Bowen

33. LITTLE DEUCE COUPE, The Beach Boys (1963)

Along with "Be True To Your School" this was another Beach Boys classic never issued here in UK as a single

34. MANY TEARS AGO, Connie Francis (1960)

Always liked her "Lipstick On Your Collar" for the great George Barnes guitar solo--but overall I think "Many Tears Ago" is my favorite song by her

47. LONESOME TOWN, Ricky Nelson (1958)

Over here the US "Lonesome Town"/"I Got A Feeling" single was split into TWO singles on London label.

In October 1958 we got "Someday"/"I Got A Feeling" (put out to compete with the then-popular Jodie Sands version of "Someday").

Then in November 1958 came "Lonesome Town" b/w Ricky's version of "My Babe"

https://www.mixcloud.com/dean-fiora/roots-rock-radio-1950s-rock-n-roll-episode-6/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)