• Re: Roots Rock Radio (Episode #4)

From Roger@21:1/5 to Dean on Wed Feb 7 15:35:09 2024
    Dean wrote:

Episode #4 of ROOTS ROCK RADIO is now archived at https://www.mixcloud.com/dean-fiora/roots-rock-radio-1950s-rock-n-roll-episode-4/ Here's the playlist:

1. THE HAPPY ORGAN, Dave “Baby” Cortez (1959)

I just could never get into this one. Does nothing for me. OTOH I loved his other really big hit,the later "Rinky Dink"

9. TOSSIN’ & TURNIN’, Bobby Lewis (1961)

Biggest single of the year in USA yet failed to make the NME or Record Mirror charts here in UK.

10. PRETTY LITTLE ANGEL EYES, Curtis Lee (1961)

Long time favorite of mine with Curtis backed here by The Halos of "Nag" fame

11. I’LL BE HOME, The Flamingos (1956)

Never released in UK at the time so the first version I ever heard was of course Pat Boone.It was quite a few years before I made the acquaintance of this vastly superior original

12. BORN TOO LATE, The Poni-Tails (1958)

'Fess up time - a catchy poppy girlie anthem hit that I've always liked. So sue me!

14. TWENTY FLIGHT ROCK, Eddie Cochran (1957)

Has to be the London single on this one as released in the UK---the version as performed by Eddie in "The Girl Can't Help It" movie. OTOH the US Liberty single is a weak watered down affair

15. BAD MOTORCYCLE, The Storey Sisters (1958)

Originally issued as by "The Twinkles" in 1957 (same group) on Peak label that also has a longer instrumental opening sequence

28. WHO’S THAT KNOCKING, The Genies (1959)

Nice doowop--group featured Roy C. Hammond who--billed simply as "Roy C."--had one of my very favorite records of the 60's in "Shotgun Wedding" that became a massive UK hit charting on several occasions

34. LEWIS BOOGIE, Jerry Lee Lewis (1958)

One of Jerry's very best but sadly not released in the UK until 1964 when London released the original Sun recording as a 45RPM single b/w "Bonnie B". The song also appeared that year here on one of the greatest live albums ever released----the legendary
    "Live At The Star Club" LP

40. OUT OF LIMITS, The Marketts (1963-64)

First pressings on this have the title as "Outer Limits" as per the hit TV show.

41. BLACK CADILLAC, Joyce Green (1959)

High on my 1959 faves list and rivalling the best of Brenda or Wanda---I've read where Ms Green supposedly took inspiration for this one from some of the lyrics of Buddy Moss' 1935 classic "Going To Your Funeral In A Vee Eight Ford"

47. SURFER GIRL, The Beach Boys (1963)

Capitol here passed on releasing both this one and "Be True To Your School" in 1963 as UK 45rpm singles. No idea why.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)