• DOUBLE COVERS!!

From Roger Ford@21:1/5 to Roger Ford on Tue Aug 15 13:15:31 2023
    On Tuesday, 15 August 2023 at 20:39:30 UTC+1, Roger Ford wrote:
    On Tuesday, 15 August 2023 at 15:54:46 UTC+1, Bruce wrote:
    JULY 12, 1958

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1958/CB-1958-07-12.pdf

BUDDY HOLLY (Coral 62006)

“EARLY IN THE MORNING” (2:05) [Roytlty ASCAP—Darin, Harris]
    “NOW WE’RE ONE” [Portrait Music BMI—Darin]

We all know that the practice of "covering" a certain record was very rife in the period we talk about on here but nearly all of them "cover" just one side of the target record

But once in a while there comes along that VERY unusual and rare animal------the DOUBLE COVER!!

Where an artist or act covers not one side but BOTH sides of another record

The Buddy Holly release from 1958 above is one such example. Buddy covers BOTH sides of the Ding Dongs/Rinky Dinks (aka Bobby Darin) original

Such double covers are very rare but they do occur - here's a few more examples

The Orchids - "Oh Why"/"All Night Baby" - 1953 (double covers The Robins)

Roy Brown - "Party Doll"/"I'm Stickin' With You" (Buddy Knox/Jimmy Bowen on the original Triple D release)

The Diamonds "Silhouettes"/"Daddy Cool" - 1957 (The Rays)

Jesse Belvin - "You Send Me"/""Summertime" - 1957 (Sam Cooke)

Finally Tab Hunter - "I Can't Stop Loving You"/"Born To Lose" (Ray Charles) - but not sure this really counts as Ray Charles' version is itself a remake of Don Gibson

Ok there MUST be more.

Please do tell!!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Bruce@21:1/5 to Roger Ford on Tue Aug 15 14:27:19 2023
    On Tuesday, August 15, 2023 at 4:15:33 PM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:
    JULY 12, 1958

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1958/CB-1958-07-12.pdf

We all know that the practice of "covering" a certain record was very rife in the period we talk about on here but nearly all of them "cover" just one side of the target record

But once in a while there comes along that VERY unusual and rare animal------the DOUBLE COVER!!

The Buddy Holly release from 1958 above is one such example. Buddy covers BOTH sides of the Ding Dongs/Rinky Dinks (aka Bobby Darin) original

Roy Brown - "Party Doll"/"I'm Stickin' With You" (Buddy Knox/Jimmy Bowen on the original Triple D release)

Finally Tab Hunter - "I Can't Stop Loving You"/"Born To Lose" (Ray Charles) - but not sure this really counts as Ray Charles' version is itself a remake of Don Gibson

Cooke's "Summertime" is also a remake.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roger Ford@21:1/5 to Roger Ford on Tue Aug 15 21:26:21 2023
    JULY 12, 1958

Ok there MUST be more.

Please do tell!!
    Bruce’s profile photo
    Bruce
    unread,

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roger Ford@21:1/5 to Bruce on Tue Aug 15 21:45:32 2023
    On Tuesday, 15 August 2023 at 22:27:21 UTC+1, Bruce wrote:
    On Tuesday, August 15, 2023 at 4:15:33 PM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:
    JULY 12, 1958

“EARLY IN THE MORNING” (2:05) [Roytlty ASCAP—Darin, Harris] “NOW WE’RE ONE” [Portrait Music BMI—Darin]

Cooke's "Summertime" is also a remake.

Yes of course it is

First recorded by Abbie Mitchell in 1935 but not released for decades--then released by Helen Jepson (also in 1935) just before Lady Day got to it in 1936

BTW I've no idea why my original post on this is duplicated on here. It appeared as I turned my PC on

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05