• OT - Bill

From Bruce@21:1/5 to All on Sun May 28 17:53:44 2023
    Bill, I know you're a big "The Rockford Files" fan, me too. Some channel that got added to my DIRECTV system has back to back episodes on 7 days a week. I've been recording them. Watched the first 2 episodes of the series yesterday, a 2 parter with
    Lindsay Wagner as the main guest star.

I forgot all about the fact that Rocky was played by a different actor at first. And Jim's trailer was set up differently. The desk was turned around the opposite way so if Jim is sitting at the desk his back is facing the door. He has to look to his
    right to see who is coming in the door.

He did already have the Firebird though. One thing that surprised me was that during the episode he insulted a guy intentionally by calling him a queer.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Bill B@21:1/5 to Bruce on Mon May 29 02:48:17 2023
    On Sunday, May 28, 2023 at 8:53:45 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
    Bill, I know you're a big "The Rockford Files" fan, me too. Some channel that got added to my DIRECTV system has back to back episodes on 7 days a week. I've been recording them. Watched the first 2 episodes of the series yesterday, a 2 parter with

I forgot all about the fact that Rocky was played by a different actor at first. And Jim's trailer was set up differently. The desk was turned around the opposite way so if Jim is sitting at the desk his back is facing the door. He has to look to his

He did already have the Firebird though. One thing that surprised me was that during the episode he insulted a guy intentionally by calling him a queer.

I've already watched the entire series in reruns once or twice. :-) But thanks.

Hill Street Blues is also in repeats now.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bruce@21:1/5 to RWC on Mon May 29 07:40:44 2023
    On Monday, May 29, 2023 at 10:33:57 AM UTC-4, RWC wrote:
    On Mon, 29 May 2023 02:48:17 -0700 (PDT), Bill B <bb...@optonline.net> wrote:
    On Sunday, May 28, 2023 at 8:53:45?PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

I forgot all about the fact that Rocky was played by a different actor at first. And Jim's trailer was set up differently. The desk was turned around the opposite way so if Jim is sitting at the desk his back is facing the door. He has to look to
    his right to see who is coming in the door.

I'm not so sure an aspirational person, such as Roger from Essex,
    would warm to this series?

("The Rockford Files" does not have much 'reality cursing', but)

"One thing that made this show so great was that Jim was portrayed as
    a mortal and not some super sleuth. He wound up on the short end of
    fist fights, always strapped for cash, often got stiffed by clients
    and lived in a trailer."

And David Chase was one of the supervising producers for most of the series.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RWC@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 29 10:31:22 2023
    On Mon, 29 May 2023 02:48:17 -0700 (PDT), Bill B <bbug2@optonline.net>
    wrote:

On Sunday, May 28, 2023 at 8:53:45?PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

I'm not so sure an aspirational person, such as Roger from Essex,
    would warm to this series?

("The Rockford Files" does not have much 'reality cursing', but)

"One thing that made this show so great was that Jim was portrayed as
    a mortal and not some super sleuth. He wound up on the short end of
    fist fights, always strapped for cash, often got stiffed by clients
    and lived in a trailer."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bruce@21:1/5 to Bill B on Mon May 29 07:17:30 2023
    On Monday, May 29, 2023 at 5:48:19 AM UTC-4, Bill B wrote:

I wasn't telling you about it so you could watch it, I doubt you have the channel, and I think you had said that you bought the DVDs of the full series. Just mentioning some things I noticed about the first 2 episodes.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Roman@21:1/5 to Bruce on Wed May 31 12:36:29 2023

I forgot all about the fact that Rocky was played by a different actor at first.

Only in the pilot.
    The (first) Lindsay Wagner episode was the pilot. (Her character returned a few seasons in.)

--
    BR

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Roman@21:1/5 to Bruce on Wed May 31 12:40:58 2023
    On Monday, May 29, 2023 at 10:40:45 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

And David Chase was one of the supervising producers for most of the series.

He wrote the episode "Just a Coupla Guys." It was a backdoor pilot for a series he was trying to sell about low-level mob guys in New Jersey. It didn't get picked up, but he held onto the basic concept.

--
    BR

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05