• Cynthia Lennon's First Encounter With Yoko

From Norbert K@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jan 7 05:47:13 2022
    This is from Cynthia Lennon's book John. The context is that this was a time when Cynthia felt that, when John was "off drugs," he was "almost his old self"; but when tripping, he was "slipping away" from Cynthia. On this particular occasion, driver
    Les Anthony had taken Cynthia and John to a Maharishi event. Cynthia noticed a little, black-clad Japanese woman who introduced herself to the group as Yoko. The following is quoted directly from the book:

At the end of the evening [driver Les] Anthony was waiting outside for us. He opened the car door and, to my astonishment, Yoko climbed in ahead of us. John gave me a look that intimated he didn't know what the hell was going on, shrugging, palms
    upturned, nonplussed. He leaned and asked if we could give her a ride somewhere. "Oh, yes please. Twenty-five Hanover Gate," Yoko replied. He climbed in and not another word was said until we dropped her off, when she said, "Good-bye, thank you," and
    got out.

"How bizarre," I said to John. What was that all about?

"Search me, Cyn." He insisted he hadn't invited Yoko and knew nothing of her being there, but common sense dictated that it had to have been John who asked her to come.Whatever my doubts, though, it was clear that he wasn't going to provide an
    explanation.

[End of excerpt.]

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From P-Dub@21:1/5 to Norbert K on Mon Jan 10 12:21:23 2022
    On Friday, January 7, 2022 at 8:47:15 AM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:
    This is from Cynthia Lennon's book John. The context is that this was a time when Cynthia felt that, when John was "off drugs," he was "almost his old self"; but when tripping, he was "slipping away" from Cynthia. On this particular occasion, driver
    Les Anthony had taken Cynthia and John to a Maharishi event. Cynthia noticed a little, black-clad Japanese woman who introduced herself to the group as Yoko. The following is quoted directly from the book:

At the end of the evening [driver Les] Anthony was waiting outside for us. He opened the car door and, to my astonishment, Yoko climbed in ahead of us. John gave me a look that intimated he didn't know what the hell was going on, shrugging, palms
    upturned, nonplussed. He leaned and asked if we could give her a ride somewhere. "Oh, yes please. Twenty-five Hanover Gate," Yoko replied. He climbed in and not another word was said until we dropped her off, when she said, "Good-bye, thank you," and got
    out.

"Search me, Cyn." He insisted he hadn't invited Yoko and knew nothing of her being there, but common sense dictated that it had to have been John who asked her to come.Whatever my doubts, though, it was clear that he wasn't going to provide an
    explanation.

[End of excerpt.]

Yoko definitely messed things up for the Beatles. But watching Get Back, I was surprised. It seemed Yoko was behaving and not getting in the way much during those days in Twickenham and Saville Row. I always had a mental picture that she was instigating
    arguments during those times - from what had been written about it. I didn't see that, and those guys filmed a lot of stuff. Other than George's quitting issue - the Beatles seemed to be getting along just fine.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to P-Dub on Mon Jan 10 12:45:32 2022
    On Monday, January 10, 2022 at 3:21:25 PM UTC-5, P-Dub wrote:

upturned, nonplussed. He leaned and asked if we could give her a ride somewhere. "Oh, yes please. Twenty-five Hanover Gate," Yoko replied. He climbed in and not another word was said until we dropped her off, when she said, "Good-bye, thank you," and got
    out.

explanation.

[End of excerpt.]
    Yoko definitely messed things up for the Beatles. But watching Get Back, I was surprised. It seemed Yoko was behaving and not getting in the way much during those days in Twickenham and Saville Row. I always had a mental picture that she was
    instigating arguments during those times - from what had been written about it. I didn't see that, and those guys filmed a lot of stuff. Other than George's quitting issue - the Beatles seemed to be getting along just fine.

I agree with you that Get Back gives a much more positive portrait of the Beatles themselves than Let It Be does.

There are, however, those moments where Yoko is given a microphone, and she makes all that freaky and frankly disturbing noise. A person unfamiliar with the John & Yoko backstory would be baffled as to why these horrifying intrusions were being allowed
    at all. Why, when you've got those four talented guys trying to get their songs together, is this person being allowed to defecate all over the studio like that?

There's also that part where all the guys are interacting sweetly with Linda's daughter and Yoko appears (to me, anyway) to be seething that this little girl is the recipient of all the attention.

Fortunately, it's easy enough to skip through the Onoized parts of the footage and that's what I'll do in the future.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to Blueshirt on Mon Jan 10 13:57:13 2022
    On Monday, January 10, 2022 at 4:41:00 PM UTC-5, Blueshirt wrote:
    On 10/01/2022 20:45, Norbert K wrote:
    Yoko definitely messed things up for the Beatles. But watching Get Back, I was surprised. It seemed Yoko was behaving and not getting in the way much during those days in Twickenham and Saville Row. I always had a mental picture that she was
    instigating arguments during those times - from what had been written about it. I didn't see that, and those guys filmed a lot of stuff. Other than George's quitting issue - the Beatles seemed to be getting along just fine.

I agree with you that Get Back gives a much more positive portrait of the Beatles themselves than Let It Be does.
    An eight-hour documentary film of the "Abbey Road" sessions might be
    more revealing! ;-)

Imagine that? I'd have preferred such a documentary on Abbey Road or Rubber Soul or Revolver.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Blueshirt@21:1/5 to Norbert K on Mon Jan 10 21:40:57 2022

more revealing! ;-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From P-Dub@21:1/5 to Norbert K on Wed Jan 12 10:23:41 2022
    On Monday, January 10, 2022 at 4:57:15 PM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:

more revealing! ;-)
    Imagine that? I'd have preferred such a documentary on Abbey Road or Rubber Soul or Revolver.

They didn't hire a film crew for Abbey Road. Pity.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to P-Dub on Wed Jan 12 11:43:47 2022
    On Wednesday, January 12, 2022 at 1:23:42 PM UTC-5, P-Dub wrote:
    On Monday, January 10, 2022 at 4:57:15 PM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:

An eight-hour documentary film of the "Abbey Road" sessions might be more revealing! ;-)
    They didn't hire a film crew for Abbey Road. Pity.

Yeah. Paul, George, and Ringo were at the top of their instrumental games on Abbey Road. George was peaking as a songwriter.

John's best rhythm guitar playing had passed years earlier. However, his partners + George Martin knew how to flesh John's simple demos out into masterpieces. I'm thinking of "Come Together" and "Because."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05