• John's Stint as Guest DJ on KHJ AM

From Norbert K@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jan 7 04:27:20 2022
    On September 27 of 1974, John Lennon served as guest DJ on KHJ-AM. The audio of this is available on Youtube, where it is broken up into four segments. He can be heard interacting hilariously people who call in to make requests, adopting an endless
    variety of voices and pseudonyms (including Dick Van Dyke and Richard Nixon).

Some highlights:

He played the R&B inspiration for "Day Tripper" and DT itself back-to-back.

He stated, with regard to the Beatles British records: "We would sequence the albums, how we thought they should sound, and we would put a lot of work into the sequencing."

A caller asked if he was still into transcendental meditation. Lennon replied, "No, I'm not into it. I'm out of it, as you might say."

A caller asked if Lennon still had his black Rickenbacker. Lennon replied: "I still have my black Rickenbacker, which used to be a blond Rickenbacker, which was the first good guitar I ever had, yes I do."

A throng of fans had assembled outside the station, and one man can be heard saying: "He's very good and very friendly this morning." A woman replies, "Oh, he's wonderful."

Throughout the show, Lennon speaks fondly of the other former Beatles, George Martin, and the Beatles' work.

Free of Yoko's malevolent influence, Lennon was another -- much happier and more humorous -- person. Listen to the recordings and hear for yourself.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to Bruce on Fri Jan 7 11:12:52 2022
    On Friday, January 7, 2022 at 1:49:03 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
    On Friday, January 7, 2022 at 7:27:22 AM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:

Perfect illustration of your attitude about R&B. To you this record that inspired "Day Tripper" and "I Feel Fine" is just minor trivia, and not even worth mentioning what the record is.

You should have said "He played "Watch Your Step" by Bobby Parker, which inspired "Day Tripper" and then played DT after it. And then you should have given thoughts about "Watch Your Step" and whether or not you can hear the inspiration.

This is a Beatles newsgroup. My focus in this thread -- as the title indicates -- is Lennon, not Parker.

It is clear from my language ("He played the R&B inspiration for 'Day Tripper') that I accept the Parker song as the inspiration of "Day Tripper." You have no business telling me what I "should have said."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bruce@21:1/5 to Norbert K on Fri Jan 7 10:49:01 2022

Perfect illustration of your attitude about R&B. To you this record that inspired "Day Tripper" and "I Feel Fine" is just minor trivia, and not even worth mentioning what the record is.

You should have said "He played "Watch Your Step" by Bobby Parker, which inspired "Day Tripper" and then played DT after it. And then you should have given thoughts about "Watch Your Step" and whether or not you can hear the inspiration.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to Bruce on Fri Jan 7 15:54:03 2022
    On Friday, January 7, 2022 at 6:22:42 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
    On Friday, January 7, 2022 at 2:12:54 PM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:

This is a Beatles newsgroup. My focus in this thread -- as the title indicates -- is Lennon, not Parker.
    A record that inspired one of the Beatles to write a famous song is certainly something that should be discussed and dissected in a Beatles newsgroup. It should not just be dismissed without even mentioning the song or the artist. In fact, you should
    be listing EVERY record he played in that stint and discussing all of them.

I named the Youtube video and encouraged interested parties to view it.

I did not *command* others to do anything, because that would be...well, insane.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bruce@21:1/5 to Norbert K on Fri Jan 7 15:19:25 2022

It is clear from my language ("He played the R&B inspiration for 'Day Tripper') that I accept the Parker song as the inspiration of "Day Tripper." You have no business telling me what I "should have said."

Too fucking bad. I will continue to tell you when I see something like this.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bruce@21:1/5 to Norbert K on Fri Jan 7 15:22:40 2022

A record that inspired one of the Beatles to write a famous song is certainly something that should be discussed and dissected in a Beatles newsgroup. It should not just be dismissed without even mentioning the song or the artist. In fact, you should be
    listing EVERY record he played in that stint and discussing all of them.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bruce@21:1/5 to Norbert K on Fri Jan 7 17:15:29 2022
    On Friday, January 7, 2022 at 6:54:05 PM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:

I named the Youtube video and encouraged interested parties to view it.

Why not a link to the video?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05