• Re: Cavern Club setlist(s) from early 1963

From RJKellog@yahoo.com@21:1/5 to pamel...@gmail.com on Mon Dec 27 11:14:20 2021
    On Monday, December 27, 2021 at 1:31:21 PM UTC-5, pamel...@gmail.com wrote:
    My introduction to the Beatles came from viewing their last luncheon show at the Cavern Club in Liverpool on TV from Edinburgh, Scotland, where I was going to school. I would like to confirm the setlist of that show, but have somewhat mixed and vague
    recollections because of the new songs that seemed to quickly follow. I've looked everywhere online and so far nothing solid...

It seemed to me they played mostly covers and maybe one or two of their own songs. Love me Do, PS I love you, Please Please Me and Ask me why had all been released in the UK by that time. I think for covers they may. have done Twist and Shout, possibly
    Money, and one or two others.

I must say I was in a delighted state of shock at the time, as you might imagine, adding to the confusion. A school buddy had dragged me to their flat saying "You've got to hear these guys!" so I was completely taken by surprise...(and have yet to
    recover)...
    Thanks,
    Pamela

There's some discussion of this on the Steve Hoffman forum.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Pamela Brown@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 27 10:31:19 2021
    My introduction to the Beatles came from viewing their last luncheon show at the Cavern Club in Liverpool on TV from Edinburgh, Scotland, where I was going to school. I would like to confirm the setlist of that show, but have somewhat mixed and vague
    recollections because of the new songs that seemed to quickly follow. I've looked everywhere online and so far nothing solid...

It seemed to me they played mostly covers and maybe one or two of their own songs. Love me Do, PS I love you, Please Please Me and Ask me why had all been released in the UK by that time. I think for covers they may. have done Twist and Shout, possibly
    Money, and one or two others.

I must say I was in a delighted state of shock at the time, as you might imagine, adding to the confusion. A school buddy had dragged me to their flat saying "You've got to hear these guys!" so I was completely taken by surprise...(and have yet to
    recover)...
    Thanks,
    Pamela

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pamela Brown@21:1/5 to RJKe...@yahoo.com on Mon Dec 27 21:02:29 2021
    On Monday, December 27, 2021 at 1:14:22 PM UTC-6, RJKe...@yahoo.com wrote:

It seemed to me they played mostly covers and maybe one or two of their own songs. Love me Do, PS I love you, Please Please Me and Ask me why had all been released in the UK by that time. I think for covers they may. have done Twist and Shout,
    possibly Money, and one or two others.

recover)...
    Thanks,
    Pamela
    Thanks. That's an interesting thread. Nothing specific.
    There is a link to the show though... https://www.beatlesbible.com/1963/02/04/live-cavern-club-liverpool-277/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pamela Brown@21:1/5 to Pamela Brown on Tue Dec 28 18:48:21 2021
    On Monday, December 27, 2021 at 11:02:31 PM UTC-6, Pamela Brown wrote:
    My introduction to the Beatles came from viewing their last luncheon show at the Cavern Club in Liverpool on TV from Edinburgh, Scotland, where I was going to school. I would like to confirm the setlist of that show, but have somewhat mixed and
    vague recollections because of the new songs that seemed to quickly follow. I've looked everywhere online and so far nothing solid...

It seemed to me they played mostly covers and maybe one or two of their own songs. Love me Do, PS I love you, Please Please Me and Ask me why had all been released in the UK by that time. I think for covers they may. have done Twist and Shout,

recover)...
    Thanks,
    Pamela
    There is a link to the show though... https://www.beatlesbible.com/1963/02/04/live-cavern-club-liverpool-277/
    I am interested in this point in time, as it seemed to be just prior to the Beatles really taking off in the UK. By the time of Charities Week, which was late March or April, where everyone went on 'border raids' during the day and danced all night, the
    bands mostly played cover songs of the Beatles' releases...
    Here's.a link to a 1963 Charities Week parade...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws6rkrV_UKA&t=34s

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pamela Brown@21:1/5 to Pamela Brown on Tue Dec 28 18:50:13 2021
    On Tuesday, December 28, 2021 at 8:48:23 PM UTC-6, Pamela Brown wrote:
    On Monday, December 27, 2021 at 11:02:31 PM UTC-6, Pamela Brown wrote:
    My introduction to the Beatles came from viewing their last luncheon show at the Cavern Club in Liverpool on TV from Edinburgh, Scotland, where I was going to school. I would like to confirm the setlist of that show, but have somewhat mixed and
    vague recollections because of the new songs that seemed to quickly follow. I've looked everywhere online and so far nothing solid...

I must say I was in a delighted state of shock at the time, as you might imagine, adding to the confusion. A school buddy had dragged me to their flat saying "You've got to hear these guys!" so I was completely taken by surprise...(and have yet
    to recover)...
    Thanks,
    Pamela
    I am interested in this point in time, as it seemed to be just prior to the Beatles really taking off in the UK. By the time of Charities Week, which was late March or April, where everyone went on 'border raids' during the day and danced all night,
    the bands mostly played cover songs of the Beatles' releases...
    Here's.a link to a 1963 Charities Week parade...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws6rkrV_UKA&t=34s
    Even better:
    https://movingimage.nls.uk/film/6880/74959040

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05