• What *Was* the UFO John & May Sighted?

From Norbert K@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 4 05:21:30 2021
    In the booklet accompanying John Lennon's Walls & Bridges album is the curious note from John that "On the 23rd Aug. 1974 at 9 o'clock I saw a UFO."

John was living with May Pang at a Sutton Place apartment at the time of the sighting. In her book Loving John, May gives the following account of the incident:

I had just stepped out of the shower one Friday night toward the end of August when I heard John shout, "Fung Yee, come here."

"In a minute," I called back.

"Now, Fung Yee, Now!" he screamed.

He sounded panic-stricken, so I ran into the living room. I could see him standing naked on the terrace, and I ran out and stood beside him.

"What's the matter?" I asked.

"Look up there!" He pointed at the sky. "Tell me what you see." I looked up and couldn't believe my eyes. There was a saucer-shaped object surrounded by blinking white lights gliding through the sky. I was convinced it was a UFO.

"I can't believe it!" I exclaimed.

"You're seein' exactly what I see."

"I can't believe it," I repeated.

I was astonished. Then I began to laugh.

"What are you laughin' at?" asked John.

"Suppose it's looking at *us*. Maybe they think that everyone who lives on the East Side wanders around naked on their terraces Friday evenings. We look like Adam and Eve."

We watched the object gliding through the sky. Then we went inside, got our telescope, and studied it some more. "I almost didn't call you," John said. "I was afraid you wouldn't believe me. I thought you'd say, 'What is John on?' I didn't
    think anyone would believe me."

[End of excerpt.]

May says that John called attorney Harold Seider and hanger-on Elliot Mintz to tell them about the UFO "(Harold was skeptical. Elliot, of course, was not."). He also phoned photographer Bob Gruen. Gruen called the police -- and learned that many
    such sightings had taken place that evening.

So, what was the flying object?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From cuppajoe2go@21:1/5 to Norbert K on Sun Jul 4 12:34:12 2021
    On Sunday, July 4, 2021 at 5:21:32 AM UTC-7, Norbert K wrote:
    In the booklet accompanying John Lennon's Walls & Bridges album is the curious note from John that "On the 23rd Aug. 1974 at 9 o'clock I saw a UFO."

John was living with May Pang at a Sutton Place apartment at the time of the sighting. In her book Loving John, May gives the following account of the incident:

I had just stepped out of the shower one Friday night toward the end of August when I heard John shout, "Fung Yee, come here."

He sounded panic-stricken, so I ran into the living room. I could see him standing naked on the terrace, and I ran out and stood beside him.

"Look up there!" He pointed at the sky. "Tell me what you see." I looked up and couldn't believe my eyes. There was a saucer-shaped object surrounded by blinking white lights gliding through the sky. I was convinced it was a UFO.

"Suppose it's looking at *us*. Maybe they think that everyone who lives on the East Side wanders around naked on their terraces Friday evenings. We look like Adam and Eve."

We watched the object gliding through the sky. Then we went inside, got our telescope, and studied it some more. "I almost didn't call you," John said. "I was afraid you wouldn't believe me. I thought you'd say, 'What is John on?' I didn't think anyone
    would believe me."

[End of excerpt.]

May says that John called attorney Harold Seider and hanger-on Elliot Mintz to tell them about the UFO "(Harold was skeptical. Elliot, of course, was not."). He also phoned photographer Bob Gruen. Gruen called the police -- and learned that many such
    sightings had taken place that evening.

Goodyear blimp, perhaps? Sorry, one never knows :0

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mack A. Damia@21:1/5 to norbertkosky69@gmail.com on Sun Jul 4 15:12:47 2021
    On Sun, 4 Jul 2021 14:31:59 -0700 (PDT), Norbert K
    <norbertkosky69@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sunday, July 4, 2021 at 3:34:14 PM UTC-4, cuppajoe2go wrote:

We watched the object gliding through the sky. Then we went inside, got our telescope, and studied it some more. "I almost didn't call you," John said. "I was afraid you wouldn't believe me. I thought you'd say, 'What is John on?' I didn't think
    anyone would believe me."

[End of excerpt.]

May says that John called attorney Harold Seider and hanger-on Elliot Mintz to tell them about the UFO "(Harold was skeptical. Elliot, of course, was not."). He also phoned photographer Bob Gruen. Gruen called the police -- and learned that many

No need to apologize. I also believe that whatever the "object" was, it was of terrestrial origin.

As I have said before (on Facebook) if aliens have overcome the
    insurmountable time/space problems of traveling through the vast
    universe, then they have the technology to destroy life on planet
    Earth.

If they are friendly, don't worry about it. If they are enemies,
    better pack a lunch.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 4 14:31:59 2021
    On Sunday, July 4, 2021 at 3:34:14 PM UTC-4, cuppajoe2go wrote:

We watched the object gliding through the sky. Then we went inside, got our telescope, and studied it some more. "I almost didn't call you," John said. "I was afraid you wouldn't believe me. I thought you'd say, 'What is John on?' I didn't think

[End of excerpt.]

May says that John called attorney Harold Seider and hanger-on Elliot Mintz to tell them about the UFO "(Harold was skeptical. Elliot, of course, was not."). He also phoned photographer Bob Gruen. Gruen called the police -- and learned that many such

No need to apologize. I also believe that whatever the "object" was, it was of terrestrial origin.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From geoff@21:1/5 to Norbert K on Mon Jul 5 20:24:39 2021
    On 5/07/2021 12:21 am, Norbert K wrote:

We watched the object gliding through the sky. Then we went inside, got our telescope, and studied it some more. "I almost didn't call you," John said. "I was afraid you wouldn't believe me. I thought you'd say, 'What is John on?' I didn't

[End of excerpt.]

May says that John called attorney Harold Seider and hanger-on Elliot Mintz to tell them about the UFO "(Harold was skeptical. Elliot, of course, was not."). He also phoned photographer Bob Gruen. Gruen called the police -- and learned that
    many such sightings had taken place that evening.

An aerial magic-mushroom ?

geoff

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to geoff on Mon Jul 5 05:27:20 2021
    On Monday, July 5, 2021 at 4:24:47 AM UTC-4, geoff wrote:

[End of excerpt.]

geoff

If it was only John who witnessed the alleged object, then the idea that he was tripping would be plausible. May, who wasn't a big drug user (although John did get her to take LSD with him on at least one occasion), saw this supposed thing, too, however.

I suspect that what they saw was a bunch of balloons; they assumed that the balloons were the outside of a solid object. The bobbing of the balloons in the wind accounts for the "flashing" May noticed. Balloons would explain the "gliding in the sky"
    characteristic of the sighting -- and the absence of any sound emanating from the supposed object.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From geoff@21:1/5 to Norbert K on Tue Jul 6 11:21:56 2021
    On 6/07/2021 12:27 am, Norbert K wrote:

[End of excerpt.]

geoff

If it was only John who witnessed the alleged object, then the idea that he was tripping would be plausible. May, who wasn't a big drug user (although John did get her to take LSD with him on at least one occasion), saw this supposed thing, too,
    however.

I suspect that what they saw was a bunch of balloons; they assumed that the balloons were the outside of a solid object. The bobbing of the balloons in the wind accounts for the "flashing" May noticed. Balloons would explain the "gliding in the sky"
    characteristic of the sighting -- and the absence of any sound emanating from the supposed object.

Stoned people are generally extremely suggestible.

Or it could have been almost anything. Probably not an extra-terrestrial Beatles-fan stalking him though ...

geoff

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to geoff on Tue Jul 6 07:19:20 2021
    On Monday, July 5, 2021 at 7:22:04 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:

[End of excerpt.]

geoff

If it was only John who witnessed the alleged object, then the idea that he was tripping would be plausible. May, who wasn't a big drug user (although John did get her to take LSD with him on at least one occasion), saw this supposed thing, too,
    however.

Or it could have been almost anything. Probably not an extra-terrestrial Beatles-fan stalking him though ...

geoff

Or perhaps it was a craft inhabited by Yoko's "Sky People":

You come from Zeus, we come from Uranus
    Hoping to meet soul to soul
    We see you clearly
    With our third eye
    There's no more fear and I know why

Sky People, that's what we are
    Sky people, that's what we are
    One day we'll fly, and leap through the sky
    And look for a good land hand in hand

-- Yoko Ono

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From geoff@21:1/5 to Norbert K on Wed Jul 7 08:56:56 2021
    On 7/07/2021 2:19 am, Norbert K wrote:

[End of excerpt.]

geoff

however.

Or it could have been almost anything. Probably not an extra-terrestrial
    Beatles-fan stalking him though ...

geoff

We see you clearly
    With our third eye

-- Yoko Ono

I wonder if she did it on purpose - the 'Ur-anus' and 'third eye' thing...

geoff

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to geoff on Wed Jul 7 05:11:20 2021
    On Tuesday, July 6, 2021 at 4:57:05 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:

[End of excerpt.]

geoff

however.

Or it could have been almost anything. Probably not an extra-terrestrial >> Beatles-fan stalking him though ...

geoff

We see you clearly
    With our third eye

-- Yoko Ono

geoff

Well, Yoko did one lyric in which she stated to an unspecified person, "You're a dildo, I'm a whore." In a song called "No, no, no," Yoko claims: "You think 'Rock Hudson' when we do it."

Her live-in boyfriend at the time was Sam Havadoy -- a gay guy.

Weirdly, her relationship with Havadtoy lasted longer than any of her known marriages or romantic involvements.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Emma Smulders@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 13 09:53:04 2021
    Op woensdag 7 juli 2021 om 14:11:22 UTC+2 schreef Norbert K:

[End of excerpt.]

May says that John called attorney Harold Seider and hanger-on Elliot Mintz to tell them about the UFO "(Harold was skeptical. Elliot, of course, was not."). He also phoned photographer Bob Gruen. Gruen called the police -- and learned that

geoff

however.

I suspect that what they saw was a bunch of balloons; they assumed that the balloons were the outside of a solid object. The bobbing of the balloons in the wind accounts for the "flashing" May noticed. Balloons would explain the "gliding in the
    sky" characteristic of the sighting -- and the absence of any sound emanating from the supposed object.

geoff

We see you clearly
    With our third eye

-- Yoko Ono

geoff
    Well, Yoko did one lyric in which she stated to an unspecified person, "You're a dildo, I'm a whore." In a song called "No, no, no," Yoko claims: "You think 'Rock Hudson' when we do it."

Weirdly, her relationship with Havadtoy lasted longer than any of her known marriages or romantic involvements.

If you want to know, both John and May independently claim to have seen at least 1 UFO more after this. May's was in early 80's, after John's passing.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to Emma Smulders on Tue Jul 13 10:16:38 2021
    On Tuesday, July 13, 2021 at 12:53:05 PM UTC-4, Emma Smulders wrote:
    Op woensdag 7 juli 2021 om 14:11:22 UTC+2 schreef Norbert K:

[End of excerpt.]

geoff

however.

I suspect that what they saw was a bunch of balloons; they assumed that the balloons were the outside of a solid object. The bobbing of the balloons in the wind accounts for the "flashing" May noticed. Balloons would explain the "gliding in the
    sky" characteristic of the sighting -- and the absence of any sound emanating from the supposed object.

geoff

We see you clearly
    With our third eye

-- Yoko Ono

geoff

If you want to know, both John and May independently claim to have seen at least 1 UFO more after this. May's was in early 80's, after John's passing.

I didn't know that. Can you tell me any more about these additional sightings?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05