• Rolling Stones as Beatles substitute

From Laughing Jaw@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 30 22:24:03 2021
    Recently I got into a YouTube conversation on "What if the Beatles didn't happen?"

It seems there is always someone who says the Rolling Stones would have started the British Invasion. That is just total bullshit.

1) George Harrison was the one who recommended them to Decca Records. If that had not happened it may have been a couple of years before the were signed to a record label, (IF they still hung together), if ever.

2) They had no idea about writing songs. They only saw the process when Len/Mac wrote I Wanna Be Your Man for them. And even then they didn't start writing until Andrew Oldham ordered them into a room. Which brings me to #3...

3) A lot of their early success was driven by Andrew Oldham, and that connection would never have been made were in not for the Beatles. Oldham was working for Epstein before he took up with the Stones.

4) Even with all that, their first tour of the United States in 1964 was a non event, and it took until 1965 for them to really break through with "Satisfaction".

Just no fucking way in Hell this group would have started a British Invasion had the Beatles not happened.

Just had to vent.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to Laughing Jaw on Thu Jul 1 03:16:58 2021
    On Thursday, July 1, 2021 at 1:24:05 AM UTC-4, Laughing Jaw wrote:
    Recently I got into a YouTube conversation on "What if the Beatles didn't happen?"

It seems there is always someone who says the Rolling Stones would have started the British Invasion. That is just total bullshit.

1) George Harrison was the one who recommended them to Decca Records. If that had not happened it may have been a couple of years before the were signed to a record label, (IF they still hung together), if ever.

2) They had no idea about writing songs. They only saw the process when Len/Mac wrote I Wanna Be Your Man for them. And even then they didn't start writing until Andrew Oldham ordered them into a room. Which brings me to #3...

3) A lot of their early success was driven by Andrew Oldham, and that connection would never have been made were in not for the Beatles. Oldham was working for Epstein before he took up with the Stones.

4) Even with all that, their first tour of the United States in 1964 was a non event, and it took until 1965 for them to really break through with "Satisfaction".

Just no fucking way in Hell this group would have started a British Invasion had the Beatles not happened.

Just had to vent.

Good points. What it really comes down to is that they didn't have the songwriting and vocal abilities of the Beatles -- AND they didn't have the charisma.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mack A. Damia@21:1/5 to norbertkosky69@gmail.com on Thu Jul 1 08:28:16 2021
    On Thu, 1 Jul 2021 03:16:58 -0700 (PDT), Norbert K
    <norbertkosky69@gmail.com> wrote:

Just had to vent.

Good points. What it really comes down to is that they didn't have the songwriting and vocal abilities of the Beatles -- AND they didn't have the charisma.

There is a trivia question:

What is unique about January 18, 1964?

(Answer) The Beatles hit, "I Want to Hold Your Hand", entered the
    Billboard 100 Chart at number 45 thus starting the British Invasion of
    the American music industry.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From curtissdubois@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Laughing Jaw on Fri Jul 2 09:51:02 2021

Just had to vent.

There would have been no "Their Satanic Majesty's Request" without the Beatles, no doubt about that.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From super70s@21:1/5 to curtis...@gmail.com on Fri Jul 2 15:54:18 2021
    In article <5b70678b-4e48-4d96-afd3-c2b585aec25cn@googlegroups.com>,
    "curtis...@gmail.com" <curtissdubois@gmail.com> wrote:

Just had to vent.

There would have been no "Their Satanic Majesty's Request" without the Beatles, no doubt about that.

Unlike the Beatles I was never motivated to buy any early Stones LP's
    (though a single or two). Hot Rocks Vol. 1 and later Vol. 2 sufficed for
    me, the first Stones LP proper I ever bought was Sticky Fingers.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05