• John on Recording vs. Touring: 1974

From P-Dub@21:1/5 to Norbert K on Wed Jun 23 06:54:43 2021
    On Saturday, June 5, 2021 at 9:33:54 AM UTC-4, Norbert K wrote:
    This is an excerpt from an L.A. Times article which appeared shortly after the release of John's Walls & Bridges:

"I don't feel like going on the road because it feels like a lot of energy wasted," he said. "The truth is that only three shows in ten are really enjoyable and that's if you're lucky. I think I'd rather do something for television, but the sound they
    get on television is still so awful. Those little speakers are such a drag. If they could get better sound, that would really be interesting."

"But I enjoy being in the studio the most," he said. I always did. It's more like writing. Writing is something personal. Whether it's shyness or whatever, I never meant to be on a stage. I used to be alone a lot -- an only child living with an aunt.
    So I was always either reading a book or writing or drawing. Then I got a guitar and I was always guitaring. It was only music that sort of pulled me out and got me in front of people on a stage -- which turned out to be great, too, for a while, but
    writing and recording are the best."

-- John Lennon, quoted in the L.A. Times in Sept. 1974

I believe both George and John ended up being self-conscious as musicians. George didn't want to play blues after he heard Clapton. He didn't think he could ever compare. And John didn't like his singing voice, nor did he feel comfortable being featured
    as a live guitarist.

And that's a shame. They were both incredible live performers. They were mega stars. They earned that.

It's a shame we never got to see the Double Fantasy tour.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to P-Dub on Wed Jun 23 07:40:51 2021
    On Wednesday, June 23, 2021 at 9:54:45 AM UTC-4, P-Dub wrote:
    This is an excerpt from an L.A. Times article which appeared shortly after the release of John's Walls & Bridges:

"I don't feel like going on the road because it feels like a lot of energy wasted," he said. "The truth is that only three shows in ten are really enjoyable and that's if you're lucky. I think I'd rather do something for television, but the sound
    they get on television is still so awful. Those little speakers are such a drag. If they could get better sound, that would really be interesting."

"But I enjoy being in the studio the most," he said. I always did. It's more like writing. Writing is something personal. Whether it's shyness or whatever, I never meant to be on a stage. I used to be alone a lot -- an only child living with an aunt.
    So I was always either reading a book or writing or drawing. Then I got a guitar and I was always guitaring. It was only music that sort of pulled me out and got me in front of people on a stage -- which turned out to be great, too, for a while, but

I believe both George and John ended up being self-conscious as musicians. George didn't want to play blues after he heard Clapton. He didn't think he could ever compare. And John didn't like his singing voice, nor did he feel comfortable being
    featured as a live guitarist.

And that's a shame. They were both incredible live performers. They were mega stars. They earned that.

It is baffling to me that John wasn't comfortable with his singing voice. After all that success he had earned, he still needed to have his voice "smothered in tomato ketchup"? (Don't they traditionally refer to ketchup as "sauce" in the UK?).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RJKellog@yahoo.com@21:1/5 to P-Dub on Sat Jun 26 06:21:24 2021
    On Wednesday, June 23, 2021 at 9:54:45 AM UTC-4, P-Dub wrote:

"I don't feel like going on the road because it feels like a lot of energy wasted," he said. "The truth is that only three shows in ten are really enjoyable and that's if you're lucky. I think I'd rather do something for television, but the sound
    they get on television is still so awful. Those little speakers are such a drag. If they could get better sound, that would really be interesting."

I believe both George and John ended up being self-conscious as musicians. George didn't want to play blues after he heard Clapton. He didn't think he could ever compare. And John didn't like his singing voice, nor did he feel comfortable being
    featured as a live guitarist.

So was a DF tour in the works? I've heard disputing accounts. I wonder how such a tour would have worked out. I wonder if Yoko would insist on alternating their tracks as on the record.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05