• Re: How truthful was Goldman's book on Lennon?

From Joe Mahoney@21:1/5 to Beatles Forever on Tue Oct 26 07:40:38 2021
    On Friday, November 7, 2003 at 10:35:44 AM UTC-5, Beatles Forever wrote:
    ken...@hotmail.com (Kenneth Leja) wrote:
    I found it pretty compelling. Was he really an infantile man in his
    last decade of his life, a bad father and indifferent artist and
    husband?<<
    I didn't care for the part where he said that
    Paul callled up that session guitarist for the "Ram" sessions,and how he complained about
    Paul's piano playing. He also complained that
    as a session Player, it wasn't right for Paul to
    Audition him. Geez. He didn't have to play on
    the album at all. He also said this guy had almost no idea of who Paul
    was, or at least didn't know much about his playing. Huh? He
    was a top session player & was only curious
    "About the former Beatle"? What planet did this guy live on anyway?

This part is definitely true, except that the session guitarist complained about Paul's _guitar_ playing and inability to name certain chords. And the session guy did quit the Ram sessions about 1/2 through.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to Kenneth Leja on Wed Oct 27 04:46:52 2021
    On Friday, November 7, 2003 at 1:43:58 AM UTC-5, Kenneth Leja wrote:
    I found it pretty compelling. Was he really an infantile man in his
    last decade of his life, a bad father and indifferent artist and
    husband?

It is nearly impossible to have an intelligent discussion of Goldman's book. A lot of people take the mention of the author's name as the cue to start in with the lies and profanities. E.g., I've read on dozens of occasions that "Goldman says that John
    killed Stu Sutcliffe." That claim is false.

What Goldman actually says is this: "The mysterious illness that killed Stu was not diagnosed until after a postmortem had been performed; then the doctors discovered a small tumor on the brain. The lesion lay directly beneath an indentation on the
    right side of the skull. It had been obviously produced by a traumatic injury. Stu's mother and Allan Williams associated this finding with a beating that Stu had allegedly received at Litherland Town Hall before his second trip to Hamburg , a year
    before his death. Investigation reveals that the fight was not at Litherland but at nearby Lathom Hall. Stu was trapped in the balcony by a gang of thugs, whom John and Pete drove off, John suffering a broken finger in the punch-up. Pete Best's
    recollection of the incident is vivid, but he does not recall that Stu was struck in the head."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)