• Who Would Have Made a Good Collaborator For John Lennon?

From Norbert K@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 30 03:59:21 2021
    Paul McCartney's post-Beatles collaborators include Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Elvis Costello, and Kanye West.

Suppose John Lennon had not been murdered. And suppose that he was free to work as he wanted to (in 1974, his collaborators included Elton John and Harry Nilsson). Who would have made a good songwriting partner for John?

Nobody leaps to mind, but it would have been exciting, I think, if Lennon had found a cohort in one of the postpunk bands of the 80s -- a musician who might have been able to rekindle the fiery quality of Lennon's early Beatles work. Maybe somebody
    from one of the SST bands (Minutemen, Husker Du, Meat Puppets, etc.).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dennis Rowan@21:1/5 to Norbert K on Thu Sep 30 04:36:11 2021
    On Thursday, September 30, 2021 at 6:59:22 AM UTC-4, Norbert K wrote:
    Paul McCartney's post-Beatles collaborators include Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Elvis Costello, and Kanye West.

Suppose John Lennon had not been murdered. And suppose that he was free to work as he wanted to (in 1974, his collaborators included Elton John and Harry Nilsson). Who would have made a good songwriting partner for John?

Nobody leaps to mind, but it would have been exciting, I think, if Lennon had found a cohort in one of the postpunk bands of the 80s -- a musician who might have been able to rekindle the fiery quality of Lennon's early Beatles work. Maybe somebody

He actually surreptitiosly collaborated with Lindsey Buckingham in 1978.

The rest of Fleetwood Mac did not recognize Lennon as he stayed under his walrus disguise!

The result......."Tusk"!!!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to dennis...@gmail.com on Thu Sep 30 06:03:36 2021
    On Thursday, September 30, 2021 at 7:36:13 AM UTC-4, dennis...@gmail.com wrote:

The rest of Fleetwood Mac did not recognize Lennon as he stayed under his walrus disguise!

?
    So Fleetwood Mac met The Dirty Mac?

Lennon and Harrison both acknowledged that "Sun King" was inspired in part by the (pre-Lindsey Buckingham) Fleetwood Mac song "Albatross."

Tusk was an entertaining musical left turn for the Lindsey Buckingham-led FM.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dennis Rowan@21:1/5 to Norbert K on Thu Sep 30 08:33:14 2021
    On Thursday, September 30, 2021 at 9:03:39 AM UTC-4, Norbert K wrote:

?

Lennon and Harrison both acknowledged that "Sun King" was inspired in part by the (pre-Lindsey Buckingham) Fleetwood Mac song "Albatross."

I consider it his greatest achievement, Norbert!!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to dennis...@gmail.com on Thu Sep 30 09:33:21 2021
    On Thursday, September 30, 2021 at 11:33:17 AM UTC-4, dennis...@gmail.com wrote:

Nobody leaps to mind, but it would have been exciting, I think, if Lennon had found a cohort in one of the postpunk bands of the 80s -- a musician who might have been able to rekindle the fiery quality of Lennon's early Beatles work. Maybe
    somebody from one of the SST bands (Minutemen, Husker Du, Meat Puppets, etc.).

?

Tusk was an entertaining musical left turn for the Lindsey Buckingham-led FM. I consider it his greatest achievement, Norbert!!

I can see that. I also like a lot of Buckingham's solo stuff, such as the acoustic Under the Skin.

I watched one of the Fleetwood Mac reunion concerts of the 90s on cable. It was a pathetic nostalgia show -- that is, until Buckingham did his solo acoustic version of "Big Love." He was *inspired*.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to dennis...@gmail.com on Thu Sep 30 09:28:22 2021
    On Thursday, September 30, 2021 at 11:33:17 AM UTC-4, dennis...@gmail.com wrote:

Nobody leaps to mind, but it would have been exciting, I think, if Lennon had found a cohort in one of the postpunk bands of the 80s -- a musician who might have been able to rekindle the fiery quality of Lennon's early Beatles work. Maybe

?

Tusk was an entertaining musical left turn for the Lindsey Buckingham-led FM. I consider it his greatest achievement, Norbert!!

I can see that. I also like a lot of Buckingham's solo work. The acoustic Under the Skin, for example -- I love it.

I watched a late 90s Fleetwood Mac reunion concert on cable. I thought it was a pathetic nostalgia act. That is, until Buckingham took the appeared to do his solo acoustic version of "Big Love." That was an *inspired* performance.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dennis Rowan@21:1/5 to Norbert K on Thu Sep 30 13:44:25 2021
    On Thursday, September 30, 2021 at 12:33:22 PM UTC-4, Norbert K wrote:

?

I can see that. I also like a lot of Buckingham's solo stuff, such as the acoustic Under the Skin.

I watched one of the Fleetwood Mac reunion concerts of the 90s on cable. It was a pathetic nostalgia show -- that is, until Buckingham did his solo acoustic version of "Big Love." He was *inspired*.
    until Buckingham did his solo acoustic version of "Big Love." He was *inspired*.
    Cartainly put to rest any silly notion that Buckingham was not one of the guitar greats!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to dennis...@gmail.com on Thu Sep 30 14:00:48 2021
    On Thursday, September 30, 2021 at 4:44:27 PM UTC-4, dennis...@gmail.com wrote:

?

until Buckingham did his solo acoustic version of "Big Love." He was *inspired*.
    Cartainly put to rest any silly notion that Buckingham was not one of the guitar greats!

And, interestingly, he does most of his great guitar work without a pick.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From geoff@21:1/5 to Norbert K on Fri Oct 1 17:43:52 2021
    On 1/10/2021 10:00 am, Norbert K wrote:
    On Thursday, September 30, 2021 at 9:03:39 AM UTC-4, Norbert K wrote: >>>>> On Thursday, September 30, 2021 at 7:36:13 AM UTC-4, dennis...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Thursday, September 30, 2021 at 6:59:22 AM UTC-4, Norbert K wrote: >>>>>>> Paul McCartney's post-Beatles collaborators include Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Elvis Costello, and Kanye West.

somebody from one of the SST bands (Minutemen, Husker Du, Meat Puppets, etc.). >>>>>> He actually surreptitiosly collaborated with Lindsey Buckingham in 1978. >>>>>>

?

Just like Jeff Beck and Mark Knopfler.

geoff

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to geoff on Fri Oct 1 04:07:27 2021
    On Friday, October 1, 2021 at 12:44:00 AM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
    On 1/10/2021 10:00 am, Norbert K wrote:
    On Thursday, September 30, 2021 at 12:33:22 PM UTC-4, Norbert K wrote: >>> On Thursday, September 30, 2021 at 11:33:17 AM UTC-4, dennis...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Thursday, September 30, 2021 at 9:03:39 AM UTC-4, Norbert K wrote: >>>>> On Thursday, September 30, 2021 at 7:36:13 AM UTC-4, dennis...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Thursday, September 30, 2021 at 6:59:22 AM UTC-4, Norbert K wrote: >>>>>>> Paul McCartney's post-Beatles collaborators include Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Elvis Costello, and Kanye West.

?

Just like Jeff Beck and Mark Knopfler.

geoff

That reminds me of a Robert Fripp interview from the 90s. Fripp was promoting his "Guitar Craft" courses (which always struck me as cultish, with Fripp as the guru, of course), and making all sorts of attention-garnering assertions. He claimed that
    Hendrix never knew how to use a pick. He said that Jeff Beck had "no clue."

A reader sent a letter into the magazine stating that Beck had ceased using picks over a decade earlier. Fripp responded to the letter with something like: "Do you really think I have time to keep up with what everyone else is doing?"

He should have simply owned up to his mistake.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05