• Christopher Porterfield On the Maharishi

From Norbert K@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jan 13 06:42:28 2023
    "Fame and instant millions have their way of inflicting private agonies on public personalities. The Beatles' current solution is spiritualism, specifically "transcendental meditation," as propounded by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, a tiny, cherubic seer with
    shoulder-length locks. The yogi, unfortunately, is somewhat less than lucid when it comes to describing his insights. Two 30-minute sessions of transcendental meditation a day, he says, enable a person to perceive the divinity within himself. 'It is
    the direct, simple, and natural way of coming to That.' What's That? Replies Maharishi: 'I am That. You are That. All is That.'"

Would the pre-LSD John Lennon have succumbed to such gobbledygook? I don't think so.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From geoff@21:1/5 to Norbert K on Mon Jan 16 13:06:16 2023
    On 14/01/2023 3:42 am, Norbert K wrote:
    "Fame and instant millions have their way of inflicting private agonies on public personalities. The Beatles' current solution is spiritualism, specifically "transcendental meditation," as propounded by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, a tiny, cherubic seer
    with shoulder-length locks. The yogi, unfortunately, is somewhat less than lucid when it comes to describing his insights. Two 30-minute sessions of transcendental meditation a day, he says, enable a person to perceive the divinity within himself. 'It
    is the direct, simple, and natural way of coming to That.' What's That? Replies Maharishi: 'I am That. You are That. All is That.'"

Would the pre-LSD John Lennon have succumbed to such gobbledygook? I don't think so.

Maybe, but I'm sure the acid opened an avenue to believe all sorts of
    bizarre crap.

geoff

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to geoff on Mon Jan 16 04:15:25 2023
    On Sunday, January 15, 2023 at 4:06:25 PM UTC-8, geoff wrote:
    On 14/01/2023 3:42 am, Norbert K wrote:
    "Fame and instant millions have their way of inflicting private agonies on public personalities. The Beatles' current solution is spiritualism, specifically "transcendental meditation," as propounded by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, a tiny, cherubic seer
    with shoulder-length locks. The yogi, unfortunately, is somewhat less than lucid when it comes to describing his insights. Two 30-minute sessions of transcendental meditation a day, he says, enable a person to perceive the divinity within himself. 'It is
    the direct, simple, and natural way of coming to That.' What's That? Replies Maharishi: 'I am That. You are That. All is That.'"

Maybe, but I'm sure the acid opened an avenue to believe all sorts of bizarre crap.

geoff

And to being susceptible to all sorts of bizarre human predators.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05