• The Judge In the Lennon-Levy Lawsuit

From Norbert K@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jul 21 04:50:22 2022
    So, Lennon's Beatles song "Come Together" refers to Chuck Berry's "You Can't Catch Me" in a couple of lines. Morris Levy, who controlled the Berry song, accused Lennon of plagiarism. Rather than fighting that accusation (as Lennon's lawyer Harold
    Seider intended to do), Lennon promised Levy that he would include three of the songs he (Levy) owned the rights to on his next album. However, Phil Spector stole these recordings and made himself scarce. Lennon released Walls & Bridges, which did *not*
    include three of Levy's songs. Levy became angry, and to placate him Lennon gave him rough mixes of songs he had recorded for his planned collection of his "Rock'N'Roll" oldies collection. Levy released these unpolished recordings as "Roots" -- and
    Lennon sued Levy, for, among other things, damage to his reputation.

According to journalist Dave Marsh, Judge Griesn "interrogated Lennon for hours about the minutiae of record-making and spent several days just listening to excerpts from each of Lennon's solo albums, including those not involved in the suit. The judge
    scanned the lyrics, listened to a verse or two, , and said, 'That's pretty good. Let's hear the next one.'"

Finally, Griesn awarded Lennon $45,000 for damages to his reputation. According to Dave Marsh, Griesn made the following statement:

"I am convinced of the fact that Lennon has a career whose balance is more delicate than the careers of other artists. Lennon's product tends to be more intellectual than that of other artists. Lennon's reputation and standing are a delicate matter
    and any unlawful interference with Lennon in the way that Levy and the Roots album accomplished must be taken seriously."

-- quoted from Marsh's 1976 article "Sue Me, Sue You Blues"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Pamela Brown@21:1/5 to Norbert K on Sun Nov 27 10:49:52 2022
    On Thursday, July 21, 2022 at 6:50:24 AM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:
    So, Lennon's Beatles song "Come Together" refers to Chuck Berry's "You Can't Catch Me" in a couple of lines. Morris Levy, who controlled the Berry song, accused Lennon of plagiarism. Rather than fighting that accusation (as Lennon's lawyer Harold
    Seider intended to do), Lennon promised Levy that he would include three of the songs he (Levy) owned the rights to on his next album. However, Phil Spector stole these recordings and made himself scarce. Lennon released Walls & Bridges, which did *not*
    include three of Levy's songs. Levy became angry, and to placate him Lennon gave him rough mixes of songs he had recorded for his planned collection of his "Rock'N'Roll" oldies collection. Levy released these unpolished recordings as "Roots" -- and

According to journalist Dave Marsh, Judge Griesn "interrogated Lennon for hours about the minutiae of record-making and spent several days just listening to excerpts from each of Lennon's solo albums, including those not involved in the suit. The judge
    scanned the lyrics, listened to a verse or two, , and said, 'That's pretty good. Let's hear the next one.'"

Finally, Griesn awarded Lennon $45,000 for damages to his reputation. According to Dave Marsh, Griesn made the following statement:

"I am convinced of the fact that Lennon has a career whose balance is more delicate than the careers of other artists. Lennon's product tends to be more intellectual than that of other artists. Lennon's reputation and standing are a delicate matter and
    any unlawful interference with Lennon in the way that Levy and the Roots album accomplished must be taken seriously."

For those who are interested in John's profoundly detailed description of his production process, I recommend this book:
    https://www.amazon.com/Lennon-Mobster-Lawyer-Untold-Story/dp/1942531427

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to pamel...@gmail.com on Sun Nov 27 11:15:30 2022
    On Sunday, November 27, 2022 at 10:49:54 AM UTC-8, pamel...@gmail.com wrote:

According to journalist Dave Marsh, Judge Griesn "interrogated Lennon for hours about the minutiae of record-making and spent several days just listening to excerpts from each of Lennon's solo albums, including those not involved in the suit. The
    judge scanned the lyrics, listened to a verse or two, , and said, 'That's pretty good. Let's hear the next one.'"

"I am convinced of the fact that Lennon has a career whose balance is more delicate than the careers of other artists. Lennon's product tends to be more intellectual than that of other artists. Lennon's reputation and standing are a delicate matter
    and any unlawful interference with Lennon in the way that Levy and the Roots album accomplished must be taken seriously."

For those who are interested in John's profoundly detailed description of his production process, I recommend this book:

Sounds very interesting. If I understand the summary correctly, this book is *by* the attorney who represented Lennon in this lawsuit. Do you have the book, Pamela?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to pamel...@gmail.com on Sun Nov 27 13:07:35 2022
    On Sunday, November 27, 2022 at 12:38:29 PM UTC-8, pamel...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Sunday, November 27, 2022 at 1:15:32 PM UTC-6, Norbert K wrote:

According to journalist Dave Marsh, Judge Griesn "interrogated Lennon for hours about the minutiae of record-making and spent several days just listening to excerpts from each of Lennon's solo albums, including those not involved in the suit. The
    judge scanned the lyrics, listened to a verse or two, , and said, 'That's pretty good. Let's hear the next one.'"

"I am convinced of the fact that Lennon has a career whose balance is more delicate than the careers of other artists. Lennon's product tends to be more intellectual than that of other artists. Lennon's reputation and standing are a delicate
    matter and any unlawful interference with Lennon in the way that Levy and the Roots album accomplished must be taken seriously."

Sounds very interesting. If I understand the summary correctly, this book is *by* the attorney who represented Lennon in this lawsuit. Do you have the book, Pamela?
    I do. John's deposition is extremely detailed. I feel I have an inside view to how his process works. As a result, I am even more in awe of him than I was before...

I'll look for it!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pamela Brown@21:1/5 to Norbert K on Sun Nov 27 12:38:27 2022
    On Sunday, November 27, 2022 at 1:15:32 PM UTC-6, Norbert K wrote:

I do. John's deposition is extremely detailed. I feel I have an inside view to how his process works. As a result, I am even more in awe of him than I was before...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05