• Jim Vallance Discusses Purdie's Claim of Drumming on Beatles Songs

From Norbert K@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 10 07:47:46 2022
    www.jimvallance.com/03-projects-folder/purdie-project-folder/pg-purdie.html

Bernard Purdie is the great session drummer (he's on many of Steely Dan's most famous songs) who claims to have played the drums on twenty-one Beatles songs -- which he has refused to specify.

I never believed this claim of Purdie's. While not Q-Anon-level-crazy, it is utterly absurd. However, why would a great, accomplished and respected musician like Purdie want to lie about something like this? Vallance gets into this a bit.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From cuppajoe2go@21:1/5 to Norbert K on Fri Jun 10 14:19:18 2022
    On Friday, June 10, 2022 at 7:47:48 AM UTC-7, Norbert K wrote:

Bernard Purdie is the great session drummer (he's on many of Steely Dan's most famous songs) who claims to have played the drums on twenty-one Beatles songs -- which he has refused to specify.

I never believed this claim of Purdie's. While not Q-Anon-level-crazy, it is utterly absurd. However, why would a great, accomplished and respected musician like Purdie want to lie about something like this? Vallance gets into this a bit.

Ego.

My take on this whole Purdie thing is that I can see how just MAYBE it was Purdie on Polydor`s "cash-in" album. That's it. His massive ego made for his decision to embellish the whole thing. That being the case, it's a head-scratcher that such a talented
    and iconic drummer (whose playing I admire no end!) should fabricate such hogwash.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jun 11 05:26:05 2022
    On Friday, June 10, 2022 at 5:19:20 PM UTC-4, cuppajoe2go wrote:

Ego.

My take on this whole Purdie thing is that I can see how just MAYBE it was Purdie on Polydor`s "cash-in" album. That's it. His massive ego made for his decision to embellish the whole thing. That being the case, it's a head-scratcher that such a
    talented and iconic drummer (whose playing I admire no end!) should fabricate such hogwash.

The best hypothesis I can come up with is that, while Purdie knew he was respected among professionals, he did not have the popular acclaim of the Beatles. Maybe he grew to resent this and so fabricated the story that he was the drummer on the Beatles'
    early hits.

Nobody who paid close attention to instrumental parts and playing styles would buy a word of this, but perhaps some of the general public would.

Here's a true Purdie story: Becker and Fagen were working with Jeff Porcaro on their Katy Lied album. Porcaro was tasked with maintaining a jazzy groove while the song momentarily changed time. Porcaro grew frustrated, put down his sticks and admitted
    he couldn't do it. :Get Purdie," he told them.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From cuppajoe2go@21:1/5 to Norbert K on Sun Jun 12 22:51:20 2022
    On Saturday, June 11, 2022 at 5:26:07 AM UTC-7, Norbert K wrote:

Ego.

My take on this whole Purdie thing is that I can see how just MAYBE it was Purdie on Polydor`s "cash-in" album. That's it. His massive ego made for his decision to embellish the whole thing. That being the case, it's a head-scratcher that such a
    talented and iconic drummer (whose playing I admire no end!) should fabricate such hogwash.
    The best hypothesis I can come up with is that, while Purdie knew he was respected among professionals, he did not have the popular acclaim of the Beatles. Maybe he grew to resent this and so fabricated the story that he was the drummer on the Beatles'
    early hits.

Nobody who paid close attention to instrumental parts and playing styles would buy a word of this, but perhaps some of the general public would.

Here's a true Purdie story: Becker and Fagen were working with Jeff Porcaro on their Katy Lied album. Porcaro was tasked with maintaining a jazzy groove while the song momentarily changed time. Porcaro grew frustrated, put down his sticks and admitted

Love Jeff's honesty. Have you heard his story about Rickie Lee Jones? :-O

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 13 04:54:00 2022
    On Monday, June 13, 2022 at 1:51:22 AM UTC-4, cuppajoe2go wrote:

Ego.

The best hypothesis I can come up with is that, while Purdie knew he was respected among professionals, he did not have the popular acclaim of the Beatles. Maybe he grew to resent this and so fabricated the story that he was the drummer on the
    Beatles' early hits.

Here's a true Purdie story: Becker and Fagen were working with Jeff Porcaro on their Katy Lied album. Porcaro was tasked with maintaining a jazzy groove while the song momentarily changed time. Porcaro grew frustrated, put down his sticks and
    admitted he couldn't do it. :Get Purdie," he told them.

II just read about the problems he had with RLJ (was this on her first, eponymous album?) in an article called "The Enigma of Rickie Lee Jones." She sounds like a pain. However, I'll have to give that album a listen.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to Norbert K on Mon Jun 13 11:19:54 2022
    On Monday, June 13, 2022 at 7:54:01 AM UTC-4, Norbert K wrote:

Ego.

The best hypothesis I can come up with is that, while Purdie knew he was respected among professionals, he did not have the popular acclaim of the Beatles. Maybe he grew to resent this and so fabricated the story that he was the drummer on the
    Beatles' early hits.

Here's a true Purdie story: Becker and Fagen were working with Jeff Porcaro on their Katy Lied album. Porcaro was tasked with maintaining a jazzy groove while the song momentarily changed time. Porcaro grew frustrated, put down his sticks and
    admitted he couldn't do it. :Get Purdie," he told them.
    II just read about the problems he had with RLJ (was this on her first, eponymous album?) in an article called "The Enigma of Rickie Lee Jones." She sounds like a pain. However, I'll have to give that album a listen.

I was mistaken, this occurred during the making of RLJ's Pirates album. She was apparently deep into heroin at the time. I suspect the song they were working on when Porcaro walked out was "We Belong Together."

I walked out on an abusive employer once. She was stunned. It was so satisfying.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From geoff@21:1/5 to Norbert K on Tue Jun 14 09:41:35 2022
    On 14/06/2022 6:19 am, Norbert K wrote:
    On Monday, June 13, 2022 at 7:54:01 AM UTC-4, Norbert K wrote:
    changed time. Porcaro grew frustrated, put down his sticks and admitted
    Love Jeff's honesty. Have you heard his story about Rickie Lee Jones? :-O >> II just read about the problems he had with RLJ (was this on her first, eponymous album?) in an article called "The Enigma of Rickie Lee Jones." She sounds like a pain. However, I'll have to give that album a listen.

I was mistaken, this occurred during the making of RLJ's Pirates album. She was apparently deep into heroin at the time. I suspect the song they were working on when Porcaro walked out was "We Belong Together."

A great album, but she went kind of strange after that, then got bitter
    and twisted that people no longer enjoyed her music the same.

geoff

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05