• McCartney on his Musical Incentives, 1985

From Norbert K@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 26 04:38:01 2021
    Other bands also gave McCartney incentive -- in an interesting aside to [Playboy Magazine writer Joan] Goodman, he admitted his first reaction on hearing unfamiliar music is jealousy. Paul told Musician [writers Garbarini & Baird] that he'd felt one-
    upped upon hearing the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds: "That album just flipped me out. Still is one of my favorites -- the musical invention on it is just amazing. When I heard it, I thought, 'Oh, dear. This is the album of all time. What the hell are we
    going to do? Our ideas from Sergeant Pepper took off from that standard.' Paul was further inspired by a Pete Townshend interview in Melody Maker; he said the Who had made some track that was the loudest, the most raucous rock & roll, the dirtiest
    thing they'd ever done. "It made me think right. Got to do it. I like that kind of geeking up. And we decided to do the loudest, nastiest, sweatiest rock number that we could. That was 'Helter Skelter.'"

-- from McCartney's 1985 Musician Magazine interview

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From super70s@21:1/5 to Norbert K on Tue Jul 27 01:24:58 2021
    In article <24c47ce3-8c3a-45ae-8cd4-ac5feec83ddfn@googlegroups.com>,
    Norbert K <norbertkosky69@gmail.com> wrote:

Paul was further inspired by a Pete Townshend interview in Melody Maker; he said the Who had made some track that was the loudest, the most raucous rock & roll, the dirtiest thing they'd ever done. "It made me think right. Got to do it. I like that kind of geeking up. And we decided to do the loudest, nastiest, sweatiest rock number that we could. That was 'Helter Skelter.'"

I always thought "Helter Skelter" had more of a Zeppelin influence (The
    White Album came out in Dec. '68 and Led Zepp's debut in Feb. '69 but he
    could have heard them gigging around England).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)