• Maggie McGivern Recalls a Vacation with McCartney in '68

From Norbert K@21:1/5 to Norbert K on Thu Jul 15 08:50:06 2021
    On Thursday, July 15, 2021 at 11:35:13 AM UTC-4, Norbert K wrote:
    According to Philip Norman in Paul McCartney: The Life, Macca had another serious romantic relationship going at the same time he was involved with Jane Asher. This was with a woman named Maggie McGivern. For a time, McCartney was also involved with
    Francie Schwartz -- a relationship he quickly recognized as a mistake. Soon as he'd ended things with Schwartz, McCartney called McGivern and invited her on a vacation. They flew to Sardinia, where they stayed at a beach-side hotel. They would also go
    for drives in an Aston Martin -- which inspired Paul to begin a song called "In the Back Seat of My Car."

McGivern recalls:

"We met this nice English couple of the beach who invited us to dinner and seemed to nice that Paul accepted. We showed up in our shorts and T-shirts, only to find it was a formal banquet with women in long dresses, covered with expensive jewelry. Paul
    was complaining that he couldn't get drunk any more, because the Beatles were all used to every kind of booze, so the waiter started bringing us a local concoction called a Sardinia that was absolutely lethal.

"We were in a big room with wooden rafters, and after a few Sardinias, he jumped up and started swinging from the overhead beams. I expected all these women in their jewels and finery to be shocked, but some of them got up and started swinging beside
    him.

"One day when we were coming out of the sea, Paul said, 'What would you think about getting married?' I gave some flip answer like 'You never know what may happen.' That was how casual and jokey our relationship was."

-- Maggie McGivern, quoted in Philip Norman's McCartney bio

The primary ingredient in a "Sardinia" appears to be a liqueur called mirto, which is 50 - 60 % ABV. No wonder Paul got silly.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jul 15 08:35:11 2021
    According to Philip Norman in Paul McCartney: The Life, Macca had another serious romantic relationship going at the same time he was involved with Jane Asher. This was with a woman named Maggie McGivern. For a time, McCartney was also involved with
    Francie Schwartz -- a relationship he quickly recognized as a mistake. Soon as he'd ended things with Schwartz, McCartney called McGivern and invited her on a vacation. They flew to Sardinia, where they stayed at a beach-side hotel. They would also go
    for drives in an Aston Martin -- which inspired Paul to begin a song called "In the Back Seat of My Car."

McGivern recalls:

"We met this nice English couple of the beach who invited us to dinner and seemed to nice that Paul accepted. We showed up in our shorts and T-shirts, only to find it was a formal banquet with women in long dresses, covered with expensive jewelry. Paul
    was complaining that he couldn't get drunk any more, because the Beatles were all used to every kind of booze, so the waiter started bringing us a local concoction called a Sardinia that was absolutely lethal.

"We were in a big room with wooden rafters, and after a few Sardinias, he jumped up and started swinging from the overhead beams. I expected all these women in their jewels and finery to be shocked, but some of them got up and started swinging beside
    him.

"One day when we were coming out of the sea, Paul said, 'What would you think about getting married?' I gave some flip answer like 'You never know what may happen.' That was how casual and jokey our relationship was."

-- Maggie McGivern, quoted in Philip Norman's McCartney bio

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From cuppajoe2go@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 16 12:48:23 2021
    FWIW I'll throw this up here...interesting:

https://www.wattpad.com/914038243-remembering-the-beatles-maggie-mcgivern

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 19 09:01:46 2021
    On Friday, July 16, 2021 at 3:48:24 PM UTC-4, cuppajoe2go wrote:

Thanks for adding that. It's good to see what Maggie looked like.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Lord Stratus Major@21:1/5 to Norbert K on Tue Feb 7 20:12:36 2023
    On Monday, July 19, 2021 at 11:01:48 AM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:
    On Friday, July 16, 2021 at 3:48:24 PM UTC-4, cuppajoe2go wrote:

Thanks for adding that. It's good to see what Maggie looked like.

Read the whole story with all the chapters" and it was sensational writing and fun reading. Hope to learn more of her as I catch up from my incredible seventies period which extended into the 80's-90's,2000's and still going strong as I write my memoirs
    for my daughters and grandkids of my exploits and conquests in a completely different field. Hope Maggie writes a full book, love to hear her complete story. Saw a picture of her that is not highly published against the wall with other girls with
    John off to the left and looks to be around MMT beatle time and she is a knockout. Hard to find stuff, but looks exactly like the girl in opening and closing of Blow up. Paul was lucky to know her. Reminded me of what I did to my ex wife who became a
    Shaman healer after we split. Every time I see her she "clears" me of all the evil that I do with other women. Now my daughters are working on getting the same field. There going to need it once they read my memoirs.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bruce@21:1/5 to All on Wed Feb 8 07:34:57 2023
    https://i.pinimg.com/474x/15/d0/51/15d05162fd54615e02ceba19dbbc116c--fan-in-the-beatles.jpg

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Lord Stratus Major@21:1/5 to Bruce on Wed Feb 8 09:14:38 2023
    On Wednesday, February 8, 2023 at 9:34:58 AM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
    Sardinia Maggie?
    https://www.gettyimages.in/detail/news-photo/john-lennon-talking-to-bikini-clad-extras-while-directing-a-news-photo/53326758?adppopup=true

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05