• John and Yoko in Parade Magazine

From Mack A. Damia@21:1/5 to norbertkosky69@gmail.com on Mon Jun 7 09:23:59 2021
    On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 04:51:00 -0700 (PDT), Norbert K
    <norbertkosky69@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 9:47:57 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
    On 7/06/2021 3:10 am, Mack A. Damia wrote:
    On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 06:20:59 -0700 (PDT), Norbert K
    <norbert...@gmail.com> wrote:

Today's issue of Parade Magazine has an article purportedly on "The True Stories Behind the Best Songs of 1971."

John Lennon's -- and supposedly now Yoko Ono's -- song
    "Imagine" is one of those mentioned. And the "true story" behind it? According to the article, the song "owes a key part of its creation to [Lennon's] wife, Yoko Ono. Lennon's idea to base a song on envisioning a better world came from poems by Ono
    from her 1964 book Grapefruit."

It sounds like something Elliot Mintz would say. I've read Grapefruit. It is alternately morbid and vacuous. Nowhere among Ono's free verse is there a vision of a better world.

Re-writing history is ubiquitous. Follow the money.

While I'm on this topic , I am not a McCartney partisan. I'm glad that most Beatles albums have more-or-less equal numbers of Lennon and McCartney songs. However, I'd argue that *any* song from McCartney's Ram album -- also released in 1971, though
    it is not mentioned in the Parade article -- is much better than Lennon's bland "Imagine."

The only album I bought after they broke up was Harrison's "All Things
    Must Pass".

You have sold yourself short.

Obviously, each fan is free purchase the solo stuff he's interested in, but I'd say McCartney regularly rose to the caliber of his Beatles work in the 70s -- though his work was not appreciated by the critics at the time. It's as if it was "cool" to
    McCartney-bash, even if the record was great. Ram was panned. London Town was panned. Robert Hilburn argued at length that Lennon's (mostly dreary, IMO) Mind Games was superior to McCartney's brilliant Band on the Run.

Most George fans love All Things Must Pass and Living in the Material World.

Oh, I loved a lot of McCartney's and Ringo's songs, too, after they
    broke up. I just never had the means and opportunities to go out and
    buy their albums. I recall buying some 45s, but they are long gone,
    and I don't recall what I bought. I may have Paul's RAM album, too. I
    have stacks of albums, but I have never catalogued them.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Emma Smulders@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 7 12:01:36 2021
    With regard to the book that Dick Gregory gave him -- the book which inspired "Imagine" --, Lennon said this in the Playboy interview: "The concept of positive prayer...if you can imagine a world at peace, with no denominations of religion -- not
    without religion but without this 'My God is bigger than your God' thing -- then it can be true."

"The World Church called me once and asked, 'Can we use the lyrics to "Imagine" and just change it to "Imagine one religion"? That showed me that they didn't understand it at all. It would defeat the whole purpose of the song, the whole idea."

I understand Lennon's song better now. However, Ono's claim that her so-called poems in Grapefruit inspired "Imagine" is becoming more tenuous by the minute. Nowhere in that creepy book does Ono call for peace through an absence of denominations of
    religion.

It's funny, when I was younger ( before I was a beatles/lennon fan) I ALWAYS interpreted that line (and the rest of the song, for that matter) like how John states it, and I never read that interview till pretty recently. I never understood people
    fuzzing over the lyrics so much.

Ono does call the reader to "kill every men you slept with"

I read her book. A LOT of her later concepts like Fly, Coffin Car and Listen the snow is falling etc. originate from that.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to Mack A. Damia on Mon Jun 7 12:57:34 2021
    On Monday, June 7, 2021 at 12:24:08 PM UTC-4, Mack A. Damia wrote:

Today's issue of Parade Magazine has an article purportedly on "The True Stories Behind the Best Songs of 1971."

"Imagine" is one of those mentioned. And the "true story" behind it? According to the article, the song "owes a key part of its creation to [Lennon's] wife, Yoko Ono. Lennon's idea to base a song on envisioning a better world came from poems by
    Ono from her 1964 book Grapefruit."

It sounds like something Elliot Mintz would say. I've read Grapefruit. It is alternately morbid and vacuous. Nowhere among Ono's free verse is there a vision of a better world.

While I'm on this topic , I am not a McCartney partisan. I'm glad that most Beatles albums have more-or-less equal numbers of Lennon and McCartney songs. However, I'd argue that *any* song from McCartney's Ram album -- also released in 1971,
    though it is not mentioned in the Parade article -- is much better than Lennon's bland "Imagine."

The only album I bought after they broke up was Harrison's "All Things >> > Must Pass".

Obviously, each fan is free purchase the solo stuff he's interested in, but I'd say McCartney regularly rose to the caliber of his Beatles work in the 70s -- though his work was not appreciated by the critics at the time. It's as if it was "cool" to
    McCartney-bash, even if the record was great. Ram was panned. London Town was panned. Robert Hilburn argued at length that Lennon's (mostly dreary, IMO) Mind Games was superior to McCartney's brilliant Band on the Run.

Most George fans love All Things Must Pass and Living in the Material World. Oh, I loved a lot of McCartney's and Ringo's songs, too, after they

The truth is, even though I think Paul released several great albums in the 70s, I could understand a Beatles fan declining to buy them. A great deal of the fun of the Beatles is that a Paul song would be followed by a George song, then there would be
    the occasional George song and Ringo lead vocal. You'd get to see where each of the songwriters "was" in his development at the time.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to Emma Smulders on Mon Jun 7 12:54:07 2021
    On Monday, June 7, 2021 at 3:01:38 PM UTC-4, Emma Smulders wrote:
    With regard to the book that Dick Gregory gave him -- the book which inspired "Imagine" --, Lennon said this in the Playboy interview: "The concept of positive prayer...if you can imagine a world at peace, with no denominations of religion -- not
    without religion but without this 'My God is bigger than your God' thing -- then it can be true."

"The World Church called me once and asked, 'Can we use the lyrics to "Imagine" and just change it to "Imagine one religion"? That showed me that they didn't understand it at all. It would defeat the whole purpose of the song, the whole idea."

I understand Lennon's song better now. However, Ono's claim that her so-called poems in Grapefruit inspired "Imagine" is becoming more tenuous by the minute. Nowhere in that creepy book does Ono call for peace through an absence of denominations of
    religion.
    It's funny, when I was younger ( before I was a beatles/lennon fan) I ALWAYS interpreted that line (and the rest of the song, for that matter) like how John states it, and I never read that interview till pretty recently. I never understood people

I read her book. A LOT of her later concepts like Fly, Coffin Car and Listen the snow is falling etc. originate from that.

Excellent point. I read an interview with Ono in which she explains Grapefruit. She said, "My poems are adjective. My poems are verb. Do it! Only by doing it will you understand it."

If Yoko were to "do" her "Kill all the men you have slept with" poem, she'd be a mass murderer.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to Norbert K on Mon Jun 7 13:05:48 2021
    On Monday, June 7, 2021 at 3:57:36 PM UTC-4, Norbert K wrote:

"Imagine" is one of those mentioned. And the "true story" behind it? According to the article, the song "owes a key part of its creation to [Lennon's] wife, Yoko Ono. Lennon's idea to base a song on envisioning a better world came from poems by

While I'm on this topic , I am not a McCartney partisan. I'm glad that most Beatles albums have more-or-less equal numbers of Lennon and McCartney songs. However, I'd argue that *any* song from McCartney's Ram album -- also released in 1971,
    though it is not mentioned in the Parade article -- is much better than Lennon's bland "Imagine."

Must Pass".

The truth is, even though I think Paul released several great albums in the 70s, I could understand a Beatles fan declining to buy them. A great deal of the fun of the Beatles is that a Paul song would be followed by a George song, then there would be
    the occasional George song and Ringo lead vocal. You'd get to see where each of the songwriters "was" in his development at the time.

I meant to type "A Paul song would be followed by a John song," etc.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to Emma Smulders on Mon Jun 7 14:13:29 2021
    On Monday, June 7, 2021 at 3:01:38 PM UTC-4, Emma Smulders wrote:

religion.

I read an interview with Ono in which she explains Grapefruit. She said, "Most poems are adjective. My poems are verb. Do it! Only by doing it will you understand it."

If Yoko Ono "did" her "Kill all the men you have slept with" poem, she'd be a mass murderer.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mack A. Damia@21:1/5 to norbertkosky69@gmail.com on Mon Jun 7 15:51:51 2021
    On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 13:05:48 -0700 (PDT), Norbert K

"Imagine" is one of those mentioned. And the "true story" behind it? According to the article, the song "owes a key part of its creation to [Lennon's] wife, Yoko Ono. Lennon's idea to base a song on envisioning a better world came from poems
    by Ono from her 1964 book Grapefruit."

Must Pass".

Obviously, each fan is free purchase the solo stuff he's interested in, but I'd say McCartney regularly rose to the caliber of his Beatles work in the 70s -- though his work was not appreciated by the critics at the time. It's as if it was "cool"
    to McCartney-bash, even if the record was great. Ram was panned. London Town was panned. Robert Hilburn argued at length that Lennon's (mostly dreary, IMO) Mind Games was superior to McCartney's brilliant Band on the Run.

I never really enjoyed John's songs after he teamed up with Yoko. I
    can think of "Imagine", and that's about all.

He had ten years by himself with Yoko. I don't think his compositions
    were "outstanding", not like Paul's and some of George's. "Imagine"
    is the exception.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to Mack A. Damia on Tue Jun 8 03:02:37 2021
    On Monday, June 7, 2021 at 6:51:59 PM UTC-4, Mack A. Damia wrote:

"Imagine" is one of those mentioned. And the "true story" behind it? According to the article, the song "owes a key part of its creation to [Lennon's] wife, Yoko Ono. Lennon's idea to base a song on envisioning a better world came from poems

Must Pass".

Obviously, each fan is free purchase the solo stuff he's interested in, but I'd say McCartney regularly rose to the caliber of his Beatles work in the 70s -- though his work was not appreciated by the critics at the time. It's as if it was "cool"
    to McCartney-bash, even if the record was great. Ram was panned. London Town was panned. Robert Hilburn argued at length that Lennon's (mostly dreary, IMO) Mind Games was superior to McCartney's brilliant Band on the Run.

and I don't recall what I bought. I may have Paul's RAM album, too. I >> > have stacks of albums, but I have never catalogued them.
    The truth is, even though I think Paul released several great albums in the 70s, I could understand a Beatles fan declining to buy them. A great deal of the fun of the Beatles is that a Paul song would be followed by a George song, then there would
    be the occasional George song and Ringo lead vocal. You'd get to see where each of the songwriters "was" in his development at the time.

is the exception.

I think "Imagine" is overrated -- both the song and the album. There's a lot of cr*p -- "It's So Hard," "I Don't Wanna Be a Soldier" -- on the album. The best song is probably "How Do You Sleep," but it could have better and more dynamic.

I'm in a minority on this, but I believe Walls & Bridges is John's best solo album. It's got a wide variety of musical styles. It addresses a diversity of themes. "#9 Dream" is John's best post-Beatles song, in my opinion, and there are several other
    good ones on the record.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RJKellog@yahoo.com@21:1/5 to Norbert K on Tue Jun 8 06:13:54 2021
    On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 9:21:00 AM UTC-4, Norbert K wrote:

"Imagine" is one of those mentioned. And the "true story" behind it? According to the article, the song "owes a key part of its creation to [Lennon's] wife, Yoko Ono. Lennon's idea to base a song on envisioning a better world came from poems by Ono
    from her 1964 book Grapefruit."

While I'm on this topic , I am not a McCartney partisan. I'm glad that most Beatles albums have more-or-less equal numbers of Lennon and McCartney songs. However, I'd argue that *any* song from McCartney's Ram album -- also released in 1971, though it
    is not mentioned in the Parade article -- is much better than Lennon's bland "Imagine."

"Dream we dream alone is just a dream. But dream we dream together is reality."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Emma Smulders@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 8 06:27:17 2021
    I'm in a minority on this, but I believe Walls & Bridges is John's best solo album. It's got a wide variety of musical styles. It addresses a diversity of themes. "#9 Dream" is John's best post-Beatles song, in my opinion, and there are several other
    good ones on the record.

Hallelujah!

I disagree about Imagine though. I think it's a pretty good record, although I wouldn't call it his best. Isn't it a pity he's "defined" by it, however?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From geoff@21:1/5 to Mack A. Damia on Wed Jun 9 11:19:47 2021
    On 8/06/2021 10:51 am, Mack A. Damia wrote:

The only album I bought after they broke up was Harrison's "All Things >>>>>>> Must Pass".

The truth is, even though I think Paul released several great albums in the 70s, I could understand a Beatles fan declining to buy them. A great deal of the fun of the Beatles is that a Paul song would be followed by a George song, then there would
    be the occasional George song and Ringo lead vocal. You'd get to see where each of the songwriters "was" in his development at the time.

is the exception.

Surely everything off Double Fantasy, apart from Yoko's 'contributions',
    are worthy ?

geoff

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mack A. Damia@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 8 19:46:48 2021
    On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 11:19:47 +1200, geoff <geoff@nospamgeoffwood.org>
    wrote:

The only album I bought after they broke up was Harrison's "All Things >>>>>>>> Must Pass".

broke up. I just never had the means and opportunities to go out and >>>>> buy their albums. I recall buying some 45s, but they are long gone,
    and I don't recall what I bought. I may have Paul's RAM album, too. I >>>>> have stacks of albums, but I have never catalogued them.

is the exception.

are worthy ?

I have the impression that it only became worthy after John was
    murdered.

"Starting Over" isn't bad. "Woman", too What else?

I wouldn't call any of the songs "outstanding", but that is only my
    opinion.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From geoff@21:1/5 to Mack A. Damia on Wed Jun 9 16:08:30 2021
    On 9/06/2021 2:46 pm, Mack A. Damia wrote:
    On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 11:19:47 +1200, geoff <geoff@nospamgeoffwood.org>
    wrote:

Must Pass".

Oh, I loved a lot of McCartney's and Ringo's songs, too, after they >>>>>> broke up. I just never had the means and opportunities to go out and >>>>>> buy their albums. I recall buying some 45s, but they are long gone, >>>>>> and I don't recall what I bought. I may have Paul's RAM album, too. I >>>>>> have stacks of albums, but I have never catalogued them.

is the exception.

are worthy ?

I have the impression that it only became worthy after John was
    murdered.

"Starting Over" isn't bad. "Woman", too What else?

I wouldn't call any of the songs "outstanding", but that is only my
    opinion.

Yep.

geoff

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to Emma Smulders on Wed Jun 9 03:22:15 2021
    On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 9:27:19 AM UTC-4, Emma Smulders wrote:
    good ones on the record.
    Hallelujah!

I disagree about Imagine though. I think it's a pretty good record, although I wouldn't call it his best. Isn't it a pity he's "defined" by it, however?

I guess I'd "keep" the title song, "How Do You Sleep?", "Give Me Some Truth," and "Oh My Love" -- all of them with reservations. I do not need to ever hear "Crippled Inside," "It's So Hard," and the others again. Ever.

I'd keep *most* of Walls & Bridges. The version of "Ya Ya," with 11-year old Julian Lennon on drums isn't really a serious effort. (Did he do that to give Julian a thrill? Or was John snubbing his nose at Morris Levy? Both?)

It's interesting that in "Bless You," John gives his blessing to the man Yoko was with at the time, David Spinozza. As it happens, Spinozza had no interest in staying with a woman who was intent on breaking him.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Emma Smulders@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 9 04:03:02 2021
    I don't like "Cleanup Time" or "Dear Yoko."

There's audio on Youtube of Jack Douglas discussing the demo tape of DF songs John sent him. He says that, after each song, Lennon would say something like, "That's not very good. I should send it to Ringo."

It sounds to me as if John was just getting warmed up again with the DF songs. If I had been his producer, I'd have urged him to keep writing for a while before making a record. I'd have done a few other things differently, too...

This is how I would rank DF:

1. Watching The Wheels
    2 I'm Losing You
    3 Beautiful Boy
    4 Woman
    5 Starting Over
    6 Dear Yoko
    7 Cleanup Time

Re: Ya Ya, yeah he did that as a present for Julian.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to geoff on Wed Jun 9 03:27:54 2021
    On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 7:19:58 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:

Must Pass".

Oh, I loved a lot of McCartney's and Ringo's songs, too, after they >>>> broke up. I just never had the means and opportunities to go out and >>>> buy their albums. I recall buying some 45s, but they are long gone, >>>> and I don't recall what I bought. I may have Paul's RAM album, too. I >>>> have stacks of albums, but I have never catalogued them.

is the exception.

are worthy ?

geoff

There's audio on Youtube of Jack Douglas discussing the demo tape of DF songs John sent him. He says that, after each song, Lennon would say something like, "That's not very good. I should send it to Ringo."

It sounds to me as if John was just getting warmed up again with the DF songs. If I had been his producer, I'd have urged him to keep writing for a while before making a record. I'd have done a few other things differently, too...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to Emma Smulders on Wed Jun 9 04:07:56 2021
    On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 7:03:03 AM UTC-4, Emma Smulders wrote:

1. Watching The Wheels
    2 I'm Losing You
    3 Beautiful Boy
    4 Woman
    5 Starting Over
    6 Dear Yoko
    7 Cleanup Time

That is a very fair ranking, IMO.

Re: Ya Ya, yeah he did that as a present for Julian.

That is sweet of him.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mack A. Damia@21:1/5 to emma.smulders@gmail.com on Wed Jun 9 08:04:11 2021
    On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 04:03:02 -0700 (PDT), Emma Smulders <emma.smulders@gmail.com> wrote:

1. Watching The Wheels
    2 I'm Losing You
    3 Beautiful Boy
    4 Woman
    5 Starting Over
    6 Dear Yoko

Now this one I like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itk-ndTnNWc

Good beat, I could dance to it. I give it a 95.

(Thanks for the memories, Dick)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to Mack A. Damia on Thu Jun 10 06:09:06 2021
    On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 11:04:23 AM UTC-4, Mack A. Damia wrote:
    On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 04:03:02 -0700 (PDT), Emma Smulders
    <emma.s...@gmail.com> wrote:

1. Watching The Wheels
    2 I'm Losing You
    3 Beautiful Boy
    4 Woman
    5 Starting Over
    6 Dear Yoko
    Now this one I like:

I think "Oh, Yoko" is pleasant enough. It could have used another section -- a change in feel, a middle eight. Same with "Give Me Some Truth," though that at least has the good solo courtesy of George.

Yoko should have claimed co-writing credit for "Oh, Yoko." "In the middle of a dream," "In the middle of a cloud," etc. That's Yokoesque imagery. Of course, this song isn't famous as "Imagine."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Emma Smulders@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 10 07:36:03 2021
    Op donderdag 10 juni 2021 om 15:09:08 UTC+2 schreef Norbert K:
    On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 11:04:23 AM UTC-4, Mack A. Damia wrote:
    On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 04:03:02 -0700 (PDT), Emma Smulders <emma.s...@gmail.com> wrote:

1. Watching The Wheels
    2 I'm Losing You
    3 Beautiful Boy
    4 Woman
    5 Starting Over
    6 Dear Yoko
    Now this one I like:

I think "Oh, Yoko" is pleasant enough. It could have used another section -- a change in feel, a middle eight. Same with "Give Me Some Truth," though that at least has the good solo courtesy of George.

Yoko should have claimed co-writing credit for "Oh, Yoko." "In the middle of a dream," "In the middle of a cloud," etc. That's Yokoesque imagery. Of course, this song isn't famous as "Imagine."

You know which song she also should get credit for? How Do You Sleep. Allen Klein as well! :D

That "Yes is the answer" from Mind Games also reminds me of Yoko. Again, I guess not that famous.

For some strange reason she is also sometimes credited for Beautiful Boy. I have no clue what her input there is supposed to be.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From geoff@21:1/5 to Norbert K on Fri Jun 11 15:09:51 2021
    On 9/06/2021 10:27 pm, Norbert K wrote:

I find Cleanup Time worthwhile, but agree on the Dear Yoko thing for the sentiment but not the music itself.

geoff

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From geoff@21:1/5 to Norbert K on Fri Jun 11 15:23:17 2021
    On 9/06/2021 10:22 pm, Norbert K wrote:
    good ones on the record.
    Hallelujah!

I guess I'd "keep" the title song, "How Do You Sleep?", "

Ah yes, 'How Do You Sleep'. Precursor to 'Jealous Guy'.

geoff

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From cuppajoe2go@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 10 21:53:54 2021
    Just Imagine if we could get some truth. I think both songs are good, powerful, thought provoking and relevant.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From cuppajoe2go@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 10 22:09:51 2021
    Just Imagine if we could get some truth. I think both songs are good, powerful, thought provoking, and relevant.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to geoff on Fri Jun 11 03:36:02 2021
    On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 11:23:26 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
    On 9/06/2021 10:22 pm, Norbert K wrote:
    I'm in a minority on this, but I believe Walls & Bridges is John's best solo album. It's got a wide variety of musical styles. It addresses a diversity of themes. "#9 Dream" is John's best post-Beatles song, in my opinion, and there are several
    other good ones on the record.
    Hallelujah!

I guess I'd "keep" the title song, "How Do You Sleep?", "
    Ah yes, 'How Do You Sleep'. Precursor to 'Jealous Guy'.

geoff

Progenitor to "Steel and Glass."

"Well, your teeth are clean, but your mind is capped/And you leave your smell like an alley cat." Allen Klein is said to have been odoriferous.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RJKellog@yahoo.com@21:1/5 to Mack A. Damia on Sun Jun 13 13:10:52 2021
    On Monday, June 7, 2021 at 6:51:59 PM UTC-4, Mack A. Damia wrote:

Must Pass".

and I don't recall what I bought. I may have Paul's RAM album, too. I >> > have stacks of albums, but I have never catalogued them.

is the exception.

McCartney knew how to better John's songs. Yoko didn't know or care. She was out to promote herself.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Emma Smulders@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jun 13 14:33:38 2021
    McCartney knew how to better John's songs. Yoko didn't know or care. She was out to promote herself.

IDK if you follow the Lenono PR bs, but when a new remix of an album is made (like the last POB release) they always go "Yoko thinks it's very important to treat these tracks well, because she cares so much about John." Or smth around that vein.

IMO she should've cared when he was still around.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to Emma Smulders on Mon Jun 14 04:16:06 2021
    On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 5:33:40 PM UTC-4, Emma Smulders wrote:
    IDK if you follow the Lenono PR bs, but when a new remix of an album is made (like the last POB release) they always go "Yoko thinks it's very important to treat these tracks well, because she cares so much about John." Or smth around that vein.

Yoko was scornful of John's and the Beatles' work on several occasions. John was so whipped that he accepted her disdain as "avant garde snobbery."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mack A. Damia@21:1/5 to norbertkosky69@gmail.com on Mon Jun 14 08:09:07 2021
    On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 04:16:06 -0700 (PDT), Norbert K

Yoko was scornful of John's and the Beatles' work on several occasions. John was so whipped that he accepted her disdain as "avant garde snobbery."

John was very child-like in his demeanor. Easy to manipulate.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mack A. Damia@21:1/5 to emma.smulders@gmail.com on Mon Jun 14 09:03:39 2021
    On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 08:24:52 -0700 (PDT), Emma Smulders <emma.smulders@gmail.com> wrote:

Op maandag 14 juni 2021 om 17:09:13 UTC+2 schreef Mack A. Damia:

I find it so interesting that John is being described as having an old soul when being so young ("He hardly ever appeared to me to be a boy as the others were. More a young old man.") and then you have others who describe him as very childish ("He was
    still a little boy at times")

He was a spontaneous and creative genius along lines of music -
    performance and composition. He also had a seriousness about him
    regarding human rights. He created controversy and became famous and
    wealthy.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Emma Smulders@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 14 08:24:52 2021

I find it so interesting that John is being described as having an old soul when being so young ("He hardly ever appeared to me to be a boy as the others were. More a young old man.") and then you have others who describe him as very childish ("He was

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to Emma Smulders on Mon Jun 14 11:17:08 2021
    On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 11:24:54 AM UTC-4, Emma Smulders wrote:

John admitted that the Annie Leibovitz photograph of him clinging nakedly to clothed Ono "perfectly captured" their relationship; in the song "Woman," written to Yoko, he says "I know you understand the little child inside of a man"; and, according to
    May Pang, Ono boasted to David Spinozza that Lennon was like a child who would do whatever she told him to do.

Here's my question: Were these childlike qualities *induced by* Ono (with, perhaps, the aid of primal therapy and Lennon's "continuous acid trip" of an existence prior to joining Ono? I'm sure we all know of cases in which one partner in a marriage is
    altered radically by the other.

Is anyone known to have found Lennon childlike prior to his relationship with Ono? I've read, e.g., Cynthia Lennon's books & watched her interviews, and I don't think she ever deemed him childlike.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to Emma Smulders on Mon Jun 14 12:02:04 2021
    On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 2:29:25 PM UTC-4, Emma Smulders wrote:
    Op maandag 14 juni 2021 om 20:17:10 UTC+2 schreef Norbert K:
    On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 04:16:06 -0700 (PDT), Norbert K <norbert...@gmail.com> wrote:

IDK if you follow the Lenono PR bs, but when a new remix of an album is made (like the last POB release) they always go "Yoko thinks it's very important to treat these tracks well, because she cares so much about John." Or smth around that
    vein.

I find it so interesting that John is being described as having an old soul when being so young ("He hardly ever appeared to me to be a boy as the others were. More a young old man.") and then you have others who describe him as very childish ("He
    was still a little boy at times")
    John admitted that the Annie Leibovitz photograph of him clinging nakedly to clothed Ono "perfectly captured" their relationship; in the song "Woman," written to Yoko, he says "I know you understand the little child inside of a man"; and, according
    to May Pang, Ono boasted to David Spinozza that Lennon was like a child who would do whatever she told him to do.

Here's my question: Were these childlike qualities *induced by* Ono (with, perhaps, the aid of primal therapy and Lennon's "continuous acid trip" of an existence prior to joining Ono? I'm sure we all know of cases in which one partner in a marriage
    is altered radically by the other.

Is anyone known to have found Lennon childlike prior to his relationship with Ono? I've read, e.g., Cynthia Lennon's books & watched her interviews, and I don't think she ever deemed him childlike.
    According to Pattie:

“I liked Cynthia, but of all the Beatle wives and girlfriends I found her the most difficult to make friends with. She and I came from such different backgrounds; she had no career, she was a young mother, and we had no point of reference apart from
    attachment to a Beatle. She wasn’t like my friends, who enjoyed a giggle and some fun: she was rather serious, and often, I thought, behaved more like John’s mother than his wife.”

One could make the case John sought out a particular type of women, and Yoko might have exploited this.

Hmm, yes, thanks for that quote. May Pang also says that at times she felt John wanted her to be his mother -- a type of relationship that was not desirable to May.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Emma Smulders@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 14 11:29:23 2021
    On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 04:16:06 -0700 (PDT), Norbert K <norbert...@gmail.com> wrote:

I find it so interesting that John is being described as having an old soul when being so young ("He hardly ever appeared to me to be a boy as the others were. More a young old man.") and then you have others who describe him as very childish ("He
    was still a little boy at times")
    John admitted that the Annie Leibovitz photograph of him clinging nakedly to clothed Ono "perfectly captured" their relationship; in the song "Woman," written to Yoko, he says "I know you understand the little child inside of a man"; and, according to
    May Pang, Ono boasted to David Spinozza that Lennon was like a child who would do whatever she told him to do.

Here's my question: Were these childlike qualities *induced by* Ono (with, perhaps, the aid of primal therapy and Lennon's "continuous acid trip" of an existence prior to joining Ono? I'm sure we all know of cases in which one partner in a marriage is
    altered radically by the other.

According to Pattie:

“I liked Cynthia, but of all the Beatle wives and girlfriends I found her the most difficult to make friends with. She and I came from such different backgrounds; she had no career, she was a young mother, and we had no point of reference apart from
    attachment to a Beatle. She wasn’t like my friends, who enjoyed a giggle and some fun: she was rather serious, and often, I thought, behaved more like John’s mother than his wife.”

One could make the case John sought out a particular type of women, and Yoko might have exploited this.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Emma Smulders@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 14 12:19:42 2021
    Op maandag 14 juni 2021 om 21:02:06 UTC+2 schreef Norbert K:

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 5:33:40 PM UTC-4, Emma Smulders wrote: >> > McCartney knew how to better John's songs. Yoko didn't know or care. She was out to promote herself.
    IDK if you follow the Lenono PR bs, but when a new remix of an album is made (like the last POB release) they always go "Yoko thinks it's very important to treat these tracks well, because she cares so much about John." Or smth around that
    vein.

I find it so interesting that John is being described as having an old soul when being so young ("He hardly ever appeared to me to be a boy as the others were. More a young old man.") and then you have others who describe him as very childish ("
    He was still a little boy at times")
    John admitted that the Annie Leibovitz photograph of him clinging nakedly to clothed Ono "perfectly captured" their relationship; in the song "Woman," written to Yoko, he says "I know you understand the little child inside of a man"; and, according
    to May Pang, Ono boasted to David Spinozza that Lennon was like a child who would do whatever she told him to do.

Here's my question: Were these childlike qualities *induced by* Ono (with, perhaps, the aid of primal therapy and Lennon's "continuous acid trip" of an existence prior to joining Ono? I'm sure we all know of cases in which one partner in a marriage
    is altered radically by the other.

According to Pattie:

“I liked Cynthia, but of all the Beatle wives and girlfriends I found her the most difficult to make friends with. She and I came from such different backgrounds; she had no career, she was a young mother, and we had no point of reference apart
    from attachment to a Beatle. She wasn’t like my friends, who enjoyed a giggle and some fun: she was rather serious, and often, I thought, behaved more like John’s mother than his wife.”

Hmm, yes, thanks for that quote. May Pang also says that at times she felt John wanted her to be his mother -- a type of relationship that was not desirable to May.

Right. She clearly wanted John to be his own man. I wonder what would've happened if May DID do that. Would he have stayed with her?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to Emma Smulders on Mon Jun 14 13:09:17 2021
    On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 3:19:44 PM UTC-4, Emma Smulders wrote:
    Op maandag 14 juni 2021 om 21:02:06 UTC+2 schreef Norbert K:

vein.

I find it so interesting that John is being described as having an old soul when being so young ("He hardly ever appeared to me to be a boy as the others were. More a young old man.") and then you have others who describe him as very childish ("
    He was still a little boy at times")
    John admitted that the Annie Leibovitz photograph of him clinging nakedly to clothed Ono "perfectly captured" their relationship; in the song "Woman," written to Yoko, he says "I know you understand the little child inside of a man"; and,
    according to May Pang, Ono boasted to David Spinozza that Lennon was like a child who would do whatever she told him to do.

Here's my question: Were these childlike qualities *induced by* Ono (with, perhaps, the aid of primal therapy and Lennon's "continuous acid trip" of an existence prior to joining Ono? I'm sure we all know of cases in which one partner in a
    marriage is altered radically by the other.

According to Pattie:

“I liked Cynthia, but of all the Beatle wives and girlfriends I found her the most difficult to make friends with. She and I came from such different backgrounds; she had no career, she was a young mother, and we had no point of reference apart
    from attachment to a Beatle. She wasn’t like my friends, who enjoyed a giggle and some fun: she was rather serious, and often, I thought, behaved more like John’s mother than his wife.”

Right. She clearly wanted John to be his own man. I wonder what would've happened if May DID do that. Would he have stayed with her?

That's an interesting thought. I wonder.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From curtissdubois@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Emma Smulders on Fri Jul 2 09:58:23 2021

Just how many repackages of John's albums has Yoko put out? Somebody asked me recently what
    John's best post-Beatles albums are. I said, "First of all, there aren't too many." He said, "Yes there are; there are dozens." I looked at the list he'd obtained from a search, and there were a bunch that I'd never heard of - all of them post-1980
    repackages of Lennon's original albums.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05