• Review of Ace Frehley Origins Vol. 2

From William Mahler@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 15 18:05:44 2020
    Artist: Ace Frehley
    Title: Origins Vol.2
    Released: September 18. 2020

There have been approximately a blue billion albums featuring cover songs released in my lifetime. Most fall into the novelty category and a few are actually pretty good. Even the ones that have a novelty feel can offer some disposable fun for several
    listens due to familiarity. Every music fan has a different definition of what makes a good cover version and I enjoy when people debate the merits of being true to an original or making it your own interpretation. Both camps can make good points.

Today we have Ace Frehley of KISS fame releasing his 5th solo album since 2009 and 9th overall. I remember his first solo album in ‘78 as a member of KISS and the song that received airplay was a cover of “New York Groove” by Hello. The thing is,
    no teenager in America knew this was a cover because UK glam singles did not crack the US for the most part. Anyways, my only point is that Ace knows a good song when he hears it and has no problem taking a shot at rocking one out.

The album besides featuring covers of the biggest and most bad ass bands from the late ‘60’s and early ‘70’s also features some nice guests. Lita Ford (Runaways), Robin Zander (Cheap Trick) and Bruce Kulick (KISS for 12 years and Grand Funk
    Railroad the last 20 years).

This album can serve as a fun reminder to old timers how great the ‘classic’ era of rock really was. It can serve to introduce great songs and bands to younger fans and it can be a 'heads up' to everybody that Ace Frehley knows how to rock. Man, he
    knows how to rock!

Honestly, I’ve let this play through several times and it is sooo listenable. Ace has taken great songs by great bands and given them stomping beats and in your face guitar work. The only downside is there are a couple times this bar band on steroids
    approach doesn’t fit the song being covered. Some songs fall into the historically important box rather than the kick ass rock song box. I’m mainly talking about “Lola”, and “We Gotta Get Out Of This Place”. The new versions rock allot more
    than the originals but it doesn’t really fit the spirit of the rest of the album which features hard rocking songs. That really isn’t much of a complaint and is just more of an observation.

I’m 99% sure I will not be touting this release for ‘album of the year’ but this is an A1 soundtrack for a rocking party and I’m pretty sure that defines a good album. Well Done!

1. “Good Times, Bad Times” (Originally by Led Zeppelin)
    2. “Never in My Life” (Originally by Mountain)
    3. “Space Truckin’” (Originally by Deep Purple)
    4. “I’m Down” (feat. John 5) (Originally by the Beatles)
    5. “Jumpin’ Jack Flash” (feat. Lita Ford) (Originally by the Rolling Stones)
    6. “Politician” (feat. John 5) (Originally by Cream)
    7. “Lola” (Originally by the Kinks)
    8. “30 Days in the Hole” (feat. Robin Zander) (Originally by Humble Pie)
    9. “Manic Depression” (feat. Bruce Kulick) (Originally by the Jimi Hendrix Experience)
    10. “Kicks” (Originally by Paul Revere and the Raiders)
    11. “We Gotta Get Out of This Place” (Originally by the Animals)
    12. “She” (Bonus track) (Originally by Kiss)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)