• Grateful Dead 02.09.1973 Palo Alto, CA Complete SBD

From bmoore@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 17 21:22:48 2024
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dVR7iyB-ZU

I've heard that the springs under the Stanford basketball court literally had the place jumpin' :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dVR7iyB-ZU

If it hadn't been that much fun it would have been terrifying!
    Ha Ha, its great to hear the others' take on the floor that day. This was a wooden gymnasium floor and some fool actually thought
    we would all sit quietly in folding chairs carefully lined up auditorium style in front of the stage. About the time deal came up
    in the 1st set, as the heads started dancing, the floor started bouncing, causing the chairs to move and tangle up our feet.Deadheads
    being what they are were equally organized and industrious in removing, folding, and stacking the chairs along the walls. Amazingly the
    floor bounced in a wave like pattern travelling 4 or 5 inches up and down making it easier to dance than to stand still. It wasn't until
    U.S. Blues and sugar mag that the heads capitalized on the physics of resonance and made a concerted effort to get in sync on the thing,
    or maybe there was no choice but that floor started to travel what seemed like a full 6 or 8 inches. You had to move with it or you were
    knocked down. We all settled down for uncle john's band but come round and round we pushed the envelope. I honestly thought we were going
    to bring the place down but it was so fucking fun that we couldn't stop. I'd always figured that was why they never had another show
    there so when I read SCNDirector's account of the Pat Benatar show ten years later I have to assume there was no institutional memory
    and new people in all the key slots cause I doubt anyone who was there the first time would have advised anything other than "whoa,
    don't ever do that again".

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)