• Grateful Dead debut album (WS-1689)

From yoker56@21:1/5 to All on Sat Apr 10 11:09:28 2021
    A good album, like those long-lasting cold remedies, is filled with tiny time capsules which burst open at their own speed. Cuts that astound at first fade as subtle ballads emerge. Great blasts of noise vanish as haunting melodies appear. A line
    suddenly hits home…a phrase…a shade of meaning, and the whole album becomes something else again.

The shape of a good album changes constantly. A review can never be anything more than a synthesis of moments. When technical trickery wears thin, and novelty loses its appeal is the time to evaluate a piece of work. The test of time doesn’t mean very
    much; repetition is all. The good albums stick; the great ones transmigrate.

The Grateful Dead, San Francisco’s most highly touted tock band, have released an album which is a perfect illustration of this time-gap principle. It is straight, decent rhythm and blues — some of it so civil it passes for dull. Certainly, this is
    no “psychedelic” music. It doesn’t fuzz, except in spots. It doesn’t squeal inside your head like a dentist’s drill. It isn’t even in a minor key.

In fact, on first hearing the Grateful Dead is the Butterfield Blues Band in Merry Prankster drag. “The Golden Road to Unlimited Devotion” turns out to be plain old rock with vocal harmonies that remind you of the Mamas and the Papas, of all things.
    Beat It on Down the Line” is the kind of putty R and B Barry Goldberg stretches into a 20-minute magnum opus. “Good Morning Little School Girl” has a raunchy, funky sound. Lines like “I wanna put a tiger, baby, in your sweet little tank”
    fulfill all criteria for blue eyed soul, a la Eric Burdon. Further on, there is “Sitting on Top of the World,” a snazzy touch of bluegrass, “Cream Puff War,” with a modified Young Rascals vocal, “Morning Dew,” with instrumental lines right
    off the Jefferson Airplane album (listen to “Today” alongside this cut) and a 10-minute blues excursion which breaks no rules, stretches no boundaries, and won’t even rankle your middle ear. Ten minutes that don’t deafen is just not psychedelic,
    man. And a lust-song with implications — baby, what ever happened to acid passivity?

I don’t think this album has much of a future with the underground. It dispels utterly the treasured myth that the psychedelic experience automatically turns a musician to specific forms of expression — like atonality, baroque harmonica, or raga. The
    Grateful Dead give the lie to most technical embellishments which have become psychedelic symbols in our music. The people who first decided that any musician worth his head has to wreak electronic havoc were businessmen. Straight or stone, a rock band
    is a rock band.

The Grateful Dead play music with an optimistic simplicity that is the San Francisco sound. All the prototechnics of the recording studio are forsaken for a straight, “live” effect. It feels spontaneous; it sounds honest. The Dead are in utter
    interaction on this album. Theirs is the kind of leaderless co-operation you seldom find in rock ‘n’ roll, and the tightness in their music shows it. The Grateful Dead are a musical community.

…The Grateful Dead will let you down if you’re expecting some of the unbearable auditory torture that goes by the name of revelation these days. But, at the first sign of hi-fi headache, cabaret intestinal distress, or malaise-of-the-scene, I intend
    to slip this disc on my meagre phonograph and relax while the time capsules flower.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From The old geezer@21:1/5 to All on Sun Apr 11 05:41:33 2021
    It is their worst album!

The Old Geezer

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Band Beyond You@21:1/5 to The old geezer on Mon Apr 12 00:50:14 2021
    The old geezer <JYOB@aol.com> wrote:
    It is their worst album!

The Old Geezer

+1

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From yoker56@21:1/5 to All on Sun Apr 11 12:12:13 2021
    On Saturday, April 10, 2021 at 2:09:30 PM UTC-4, yoker56 wrote:
    A good album, like those long-lasting cold remedies, is filled with tiny time capsules which burst open at their own speed. Cuts that astound at first fade as subtle ballads emerge. Great blasts of noise vanish as haunting melodies appear. A line
    suddenly hits home…a phrase…a shade of meaning, and the whole album becomes something else again.

The shape of a good album changes constantly. A review can never be anything more than a synthesis of moments. When technical trickery wears thin, and novelty loses its appeal is the time to evaluate a piece of work. The test of time doesn’t mean
    very much; repetition is all. The good albums stick; the great ones transmigrate.

The Grateful Dead, San Francisco’s most highly touted tock band, have released an album which is a perfect illustration of this time-gap principle. It is straight, decent rhythm and blues — some of it so civil it passes for dull. Certainly, this is
    no “psychedelic” music. It doesn’t fuzz, except in spots. It doesn’t squeal inside your head like a dentist’s drill. It isn’t even in a minor key.

In fact, on first hearing the Grateful Dead is the Butterfield Blues Band in Merry Prankster drag. “The Golden Road to Unlimited Devotion” turns out to be plain old rock with vocal harmonies that remind you of the Mamas and the Papas, of all things.
    “Beat It on Down the Line” is the kind of putty R and B Barry Goldberg stretches into a 20-minute magnum opus. “Good Morning Little School Girl” has a raunchy, funky sound. Lines like “I wanna put a tiger, baby, in your sweet little tank”
    fulfill all criteria for blue eyed soul, a la Eric Burdon. Further on, there is “Sitting on Top of the World,” a snazzy touch of bluegrass, “Cream Puff War,” with a modified Young Rascals vocal, “Morning Dew,” with instrumental lines right
    off the Jefferson Airplane album (listen to “Today” alongside this cut) and a 10-minute blues excursion which breaks no rules, stretches no boundaries, and won’t even rankle your middle ear. Ten minutes that don’t deafen is just not psychedelic,
    man. And a lust-song with implications — baby, what ever happened to acid passivity?

I don’t think this album has much of a future with the underground. It dispels utterly the treasured myth that the psychedelic experience automatically turns a musician to specific forms of expression — like atonality, baroque harmonica, or raga.
    The Grateful Dead give the lie to most technical embellishments which have become psychedelic symbols in our music. The people who first decided that any musician worth his head has to wreak electronic havoc were businessmen. Straight or stone, a rock
    band is a rock band.

The Grateful Dead play music with an optimistic simplicity that is the San Francisco sound. All the prototechnics of the recording studio are forsaken for a straight, “live” effect. It feels spontaneous; it sounds honest. The Dead are in utter
    interaction on this album. Theirs is the kind of leaderless co-operation you seldom find in rock ‘n’ roll, and the tightness in their music shows it. The Grateful Dead are a musical community.

…The Grateful Dead will let you down if you’re expecting some of the unbearable auditory torture that goes by the name of revelation these days. But, at the first sign of hi-fi headache, cabaret intestinal distress, or malaise-of-the-scene, I
    intend to slip this disc on my meagre phonograph and relax while the time capsules flower.

No F* ing way!
    Warner Bros Records
    PAID this Village Voice reviewer a nice amount of money to writer this BS.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From yoker56@21:1/5 to Band Beyond You on Sun Apr 11 12:09:49 2021
    On Sunday, April 11, 2021 at 12:50:16 PM UTC-4, Band Beyond You wrote:
    The old geezer <JY...@aol.com> wrote:
    It is their worst album!

The Old Geezer

+1

'orrible, mate, it's just bloody 'orrible.
    100%

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From yoker56@21:1/5 to The old geezer on Sun Apr 11 12:08:07 2021
    On Sunday, April 11, 2021 at 8:41:34 AM UTC-4, The old geezer wrote:
    It is their worst album!

The Old Geezer

Herr, gnadinger, Herr!

Ja, ja, doch, jawohl!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jdchase310@gmail.com@21:1/5 to The old geezer on Thu Apr 15 07:58:59 2021
    On Sunday, April 11, 2021 at 8:41:34 AM UTC-4, The old geezer wrote:
    It is their worst album!

The Old Geezer

The following album “Anthem of the Sun”, is one of their best! 🙏❤️🍸

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From yoker56@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 16 05:39:18 2021
    On Saturday, April 10, 2021 at 2:09:30 PM UTC-4, yoker56 wrote:
    A good album, like those long-lasting cold remedies, is filled with tiny time capsules which burst open at their own speed. Cuts that astound at first fade as subtle ballads emerge. Great blasts of noise vanish as haunting melodies appear.

Actually, this original post is a cut and paste from an article in The Village Voice (of New York City):

www.villagevoice.com/2010/02/09/the-grateful-dead-trying-to-figure-out-this-odd-sf-rock-band/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From yoker56@21:1/5 to jdcha...@gmail.com on Fri Apr 16 05:32:21 2021
    On Thursday, April 15, 2021 at 10:59:01 AM UTC-4, jdcha...@gmail.com wrote:

I have a strong love for "Blues For Allah"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jdchase310@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 16 20:36:27 2021
    On Friday, April 16, 2021 at 8:32:23 AM UTC-4, yoker56 wrote:

Me too! That’s my favorite GD studio album! 🙏❤️🍸

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The old geezer@21:1/5 to jdcha...@gmail.com on Sun Apr 25 11:47:38 2021
    On Friday, April 16, 2021 at 11:36:29 PM UTC-4, jdcha...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Friday, April 16, 2021 at 8:32:23 AM UTC-4, yoker56 wrote:

Me too! That’s my favorite GD studio album! 🙏❤️🍸

Skull & Roses '71 is the GD's BEST LP!! Followed by Europe ,72. Face it!! Those 2 albums are the ones you have played the most over the years!

The Old Geezer

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05