• Do you remember Franks?

From marquesseg@gmail.com@21:1/5 to William Vits on Sun Nov 10 08:08:03 2019
    On Wednesday, December 6, 2000 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, William Vits wrote:
    Okay old timers, since Aaron asked about drum shops in Chicago, how many remember THE drum shop, Franks? I remember my Mom taking me there for the first time around 1968. Drums stacked to the ceiling and exotic instruments that I had never seen. I guess I still measure all others by those memories.

Bill Vits
    GR Symphony

I took lessons there from Bobby Christian back in the early 70s. That was a fabulous place! Nothing like it out there anymore. Was sad when it closed.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From garybolinger52@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Feb 17 04:00:15 2020
    Oh my.. you went to school with Jim Lisanti? So did I. ISU. He was a great guy. My first trips to Franks Drum Shop stared around 1968. Me and some of my drummer buddies would drive from South Bend a coup,e times a year. Franks, them Drums Unlimited and
    the final stop to John Mulveys Chicago Drum Center. Great times

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From bayardtj@aol.com@21:1/5 to William Vits on Thu Apr 15 21:59:26 2021
    On Wednesday, December 6, 2000 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, William Vits wrote:
    Okay old timers, since Aaron asked about drum shops in Chicago, how many remember THE drum shop, Franks? I remember my Mom taking me there for the first time around 1968. Drums stacked to the ceiling and exotic instruments that I had never seen. I guess I still measure all others by those
    memories.
    Bill Vits
    GR Symphony

Franks Drum Shop 2nd or third floor had to get there by elevator. Never really new the connection between Franks and Mauri Lishom he owned it. I bought 3 Rogers drums sets there and Mauri was involved in all 3. Why 3? One was a blue onyx starter set I
    later traded in. The other 2 were black pearl.
    For the most part other that Gene Krupa double base drums sets didn't exist. Mauie has the idea of combining 2 5 piece sets. Mauri helped me drill some of the hardware to make it work. I played in a Blues band in Chicago and the North suburbs. I was at
    Franks many times between 1965 and 1970.

Bayard Jones
    "The Brides"

PS Still have the black pearl sets and practice one or twice a week.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05