• Roland Vdrums Issue with new headphones: HELP!

From jeremy.e.penner@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 20 02:39:39 2018
    Hi people - I play a Roland TD11, and just got some new SONY MDR-XB550 headphones. They were a great deal, and they sound really good with my phone, computer, and Roland RD-800 keyboard. BUT when they are plugged into the drums, there’s muffled barely
    there distorted clicking and tapping instead of any sound; UNLESS the “call” button is being held down on the headphones at the same time then the sound is perfect. The headphones do have a built in Mic, and my wife says she’s heard of issues with
    this before.

Has anyone ever run into this? Is there a workaround? Or did I just get ripped off buying these headphones?

- Jeremy

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From anonymous@21:1/5 to jeremy....@gmail.com on Fri May 4 12:29:33 2018
    On Friday, April 20, 2018 at 4:39:41 AM UTC-5, jeremy....@gmail.com wrote:
    Hi people - I play a Roland TD11, and just got some new SONY MDR-XB550 headphones. They were a great deal, and they sound really good with my phone, computer, and Roland RD-800 keyboard. BUT when they are plugged into the drums, there’s muffled
    barely there distorted clicking and tapping instead of any sound; UNLESS the “call” button is being held down on the headphones at the same time then the sound is perfect. The headphones do have a built in Mic, and my wife says she’s heard of
    issues with this before.

Has anyone ever run into this? Is there a workaround? Or did I just get ripped off buying these headphones?

- Jeremy

First, although I also have Vdrums, I know nothing about the phones you describe. But, I did a little research online.

It seems there is a MDR-XB550(as you describe), and a MDR-XB550AP(that apprently
    has enhanced bass). Reading the details/reviews on the XB550, gives absolutely no mention of this "call button" you describe.

But, details/reviews of the XB550AB does briefly mention this "call button". And
    within that brief mention, the "call button" is referenced as support for other functions beside "call".

https://nerdtechy.com/sony-mdr-xb550ap-extra-bass-headphones-review
    Those functions are: "Functionality":
    1. For the most part, these headphones are simple. You plug them in, throw on a tune, and enjoy. But their functionality is expanded through the inline control. This has a microphone built right in. If you have a call coming in, just hit the button and
    speak as you normally would. The microphone is very sensitive, and our callers had no problem hearing us even when it was dangling down by our side.

2. The button isn’t just for answering or hanging up calls. You can also use it as a play / pause button to control the music. If you download Sony’s free SmartKey app from the Google Play or App stores, you can change how this button works. Hold it
    down to increase the volume? Double press to skip to the next song? There are virtually endless possibilities, and you can choose exactly how you want it to work.

If I were you, I'd proceed to: https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=MDRXB550AP&LOC=3#/howtoTab https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=MDRXB550AP&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=manuals#/manualsTab
    and research all the materials found there by the manufacturer. If you still can
    not get proper operation, I'm sure you can either contact SONY support, or SONY claims to get your problem resolved. But, I suspect a quick review of the "call"
    operational button, in the documentation, will reveal the problem.

Thanks,

Gary

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)