• Sandy McKee

From bob.delich@gmail.com@21:1/5 to riddim on Fri Mar 11 15:22:16 2016
    On Wednesday, September 11, 2002 at 8:51:16 PM UTC-6, riddim wrote:
    Anyone here hip to Cold Blood?

Just received 2 of their LPs. Sandy McKee was the drummer. He had a major Clyde Stubblefield thing going on, nice chops, played the heck out of the band, and had his own thing going on.

Can't find much on him in any of the web searches I've done.

Over to you,

I knew Sandy from Chicago. He was a left handed player and played his butt off.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From kenneykirk32@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Aug 9 17:00:36 2016
    Sandy was a BAD drummer. He also sung too.I can't stay I believe. I play keyboards and our group in Seattle was Acapulco Gold.We played all their songs in the 1970s

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From tiggernut1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to riddim on Sun Sep 4 11:26:49 2016
    On Wednesday, September 11, 2002 at 7:51:16 PM UTC-7, riddim wrote:

Just received 2 of their LPs. Sandy McKee was the drummer. He had a major Clyde Stubblefield thing going on, nice chops, played the heck out of the band, and had his own thing going on.

Over to you,

Sandy was a good friend of my older brother who was also a drummer. He spent holidays at our house and he was the funniest man I know. It was hard to eat cause he kept us all laughing so hard. I miss him so much.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jmulder814@gmail.com@21:1/5 to riddim on Sat Oct 22 11:39:34 2016

Over to you,

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jmulder814@gmail.com@21:1/5 to riddim on Sat Oct 22 11:41:39 2016

Over to you,

Over to you,

Over to you,

ttttt

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jmulder814@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 22 12:21:40 2016
    I was the trumpet player in the group Blue Magic in about 1967 for about 2 years with Sandy McKee (Cecil Stoltie) at the Players Lounge (night club) on Stevens Creek Rd. in San Jose. We played together for 6 nights a week. When the band broke up, Sandy
    and I moved on to other bands. He went on to work with Lydia at that point, and I went on to play with other horn bands, etc.

Yes Sandy was funny and accomplished as all of us were. We were getting ready to record and do some sessions work, but there were some politics that got in the way so we disassembled.

Sandy could out talk anyone and never seemed to take a breath, but he was very entertaining as well. Lot's of fun when all of the players in a band are of the same caliber.

Eric, the B3 player and singer was also pretty funny and they were both accomplished at vocals.

The reason for the hi hat being so low was that Sandy played both sides, from the bottom on the upswing and the top down. This was something he did automatically, filling his fills.

The music we did was current and original, all well done our way. We packed the house and when people revisit Sandy or any of the San Jose circuit they still remember how good we really were.

I have lost quite of friends including Bill Resch, a trumpet player from San Jose State. We were quite well thought of in teh Jazz Band, etc. There was another drummer I played with in the area ... Rick Quintinel. Rick and I took a sabbatical to Mexico
    on Spring Break One year. Wound up playing with the Don Ellis band ... I believe Indian Lady was a tune that was on the Electric Bath album. Crazy playing with Glen Stuart and those 4 valve trumpets in unusual time signatures. Worth listening to.

I bumped into Sandy during a concert at Stanford Amphitheater while he was playing with Cold Blood. It was like two brothers who were still joined at the hip.

Sandy was a good man and a great drummer... I think of him from time to time. He is still with us in spirit.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From danny.barnes@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 26 03:58:51 2017
    Yes most all off them are available on CD. Gaylord Birch was the drummer for Missing My Love from the Thriller Album.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From danny.barnes@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 26 03:53:04 2017
    Oh, I LOVE Cold Blood and Sandy Mckee's drumming! Sadly, I understand he passed away in 1995. I was fortunate enough to see Cold Blood live twice with Sandy on drums and once with Gaylord Birch on drums, he of the Thriller album.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From danny.barnes@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 26 04:05:52 2017
    Kissing My Love, that is

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From cstoltie@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jan 22 19:30:25 2018
    Would love to hear more about Sandy, Cecil as I know him. I am his son Christopher Stoltie.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mark@cardoctor.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Mar 10 18:32:02 2018
    I was a young kid playing drums in a local Bay Area soul band the Mystic Knights. I was invited to Cold Bloods practice session in a Richmond CA wArehouse. I was thrilled to watch Sandy and the band play. This left a huge impression on me and my playing.
    I still practice very hard and play along with Sandy on the Cold Blood albums. After 40 years plus of practice, I must say I have the grooves together. I was fortunate to also play with Michael Sassaki the guitar player of CB....Back to Sandy
    A great drummer with a fantastic style. Not to many drummers could hang with him .... I found him giving a 30 minute drum lesson on you tube...audio only. Discussing playing live

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From joshualeeburbank@gmail.com@21:1/5 to csto...@gmail.com on Sat Feb 22 23:34:08 2020
    On Monday, January 22, 2018 at 5:30:27 PM UTC-10, csto...@gmail.com wrote:
    Would love to hear more about Sandy, Cecil as I know him. I am his son Christopher Stoltie.

Hi Christopher,
    I knew Sandy, (Cecil) very well. He was my drum teacher on and off for about a decade, starting when I was around 9 or 10.
    My email is joshualeeburbank@gmail.com If you'd like email me and I'll give you a call.
    best,
    Joshua

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Deborah Mckee@21:1/5 to joshuale...@gmail.com on Wed Apr 28 12:56:09 2021
    On Saturday, February 22, 2020 at 11:34:09 PM UTC-8, joshuale...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Monday, January 22, 2018 at 5:30:27 PM UTC-10, csto...@gmail.com wrote:
    Hi Christopher,
    I knew Sandy, (Cecil) very well. He was my drum teacher on and off for about a decade, starting when I was around 9 or 10.
    My email is joshuale...@gmail.com If you'd like email me and I'll give you a call.
    best,
    Joshua
    Hi Josh,
    It's been a long time. How do I get a hold of you? You can email me @ mckeemouse@hotmail.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Deborah Mckee@21:1/5 to ptp.m...@gmail.com on Wed Apr 28 13:41:48 2021
    On Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 11:06:35 PM UTC-7, ptp.m...@gmail.com wrote:
    Does anyone know what happened to Sandy?
    Yes, I was his wife until he died. When I met Sandy he was playing with a band called "Souvenirs". That was in 1982ish. I met Sandy at the Keystone in Palo Alto. Lots of stories. Anyway tell you more later.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05