• Tyner's drummer Aaron Scott

From Le Roi Brashears@21:1/5 to psjon...@gmail.com on Wed Jun 23 09:18:42 2021
    This is an old argument, but I must say Aaron Scott os one of the most creative drummers I've ever seen. I can't seem to catch him doing anything else since he stopped playing with Mc Coy and of course, since Mc Coy passed away. Not taking sides here,
    just if you ever get to see him, listen to see if he ever plays the same thing twice - just does not happen. That's pretty brilliant if you can do that, wherever you get to from. Let me ask, does anyone know where operates from, his home base? Yeah, I'
    d drive a long ways to hear him again. Never missed seeing him when he was with Mc Coy.

as a On Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 1:28:03 PM UTC-4, psjon...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Friday, October 22, 1999 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Dan Jewett wrote:
    I saw the McCoy Tyner trio in Kansas City recently and was wondering if any one
    could provide some background on his drummer Aaron Scott. Scott struck me as a
    textural player who was very "present" in the three way mix.

Some of the people with me were a little annoyed by how busy Scott's playing
    was, but I thought he was perfect for Tyner. The trio set up in a straight line across the stage and we were right in front of Scott, so perhaps that's
    why he seemed a little overwhelming to my companions.

I have the '95(?) Tyner album Infinity w/Scott but don't know anything else
    about him. Bassist Avery Sharpe was very impressive as a soloist as well.

Thanks for any info.
    Dan
    Aaron is originally from Chicago..I first met Aaron back in the
    Spring of 1978 at Fort Bragg, NC. Aaron was a signal soldier and I was in the XVIII Abn Corp-CE(communications and electronics). This was during the time that the military had the old rec centers where you could go and sign out instruments and gig in
    rooms(different era). Aaron was dating the girl who ran the center and later married her(Mimi). He had his own room set up and wasn't very approachable because most of the guys wanted to get into their very best funk grove(Brick House) and stuff like
    that. Aaron always had an air about him that he was beyond pettiness. I watched him for a few weeks and then one day asked to sit in on bass...we broke out into Weather Reports "Black Market" and became best friends. When he formed his Jazz Fusion group "
    The Aaron Scott Jazz Ensemble", he asked me to play bass and I readily accepted. Our group played gigs in Chapel Hill and Fayetteville.

Aaron later auditioned for and was accepted in the 82nd Abn Division Band. After a few weeks with them, he told them about me and the then commander CW2 Hank Hamilton requested that I audition which I did and was accepted. I made a career out of the
    Army band field, but Aaron was special, very special. His style isn't for everyone, and he knows that and accepts that reality. He's very much into composite styles of music, pretty much into Anti-Music as far as formats and his ideas. He's most
    comfortable in free form styles where he can articulate his mastery of poly-rhythms and that is where he fits and communicates to well with Tyner. He can groove, but it's a different kind of groove, not so much in your face. Some of his most prodigious
    work that I can remember was in 6/8 swing feel of tunes like Al Jarreau's "Fly"(cover with his ensemble) where the groove was there, but he accounted for every possible combination of rhythms on multiple levels. You can here a lot of Jack Dejohnette in
    his playing, Jack and the intellectual prodigiousness of Max Roach. That's all that I have, hope that it helps.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Peace Arnold@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 9 07:59:59 2023
    Aaron Scott is with the Billy Harper Quintet. Playing this weekend, September 8, 9, & 10 (2023) at Dizzy’s Jazz Club, in NYC. Not sure there are any seats left for these shows.. they will be at Smokes in the near future. If interested, I recommend you
    reserve your seats early

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peace Arnold@21:1/5 to Dan Jewett on Sat Sep 9 07:55:28 2023
    On Friday, October 22, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Dan Jewett wrote:
    I saw the McCoy Tyner trio in Kansas City recently and was wondering if any one
    could provide some background on his drummer Aaron Scott. Scott struck me as a
    textural player who was very "present" in the three way mix.
    Some of the people with me were a little annoyed by how busy Scott's playing was, but I thought he was perfect for Tyner. The trio set up in a straight line across the stage and we were right in front of Scott, so perhaps that's why he seemed a little overwhelming to my companions.
    I have the '95(?) Tyner album Infinity w/Scott but don't know anything else about him. Bassist Avery Sharpe was very impressive as a soloist as well. Thanks for any info.
    Dan
    Aaron Scott is with the Billy Harper Quintet. Playing this weekend, September 8, 9, & 10 (2023). Not sure there are any seats left for these shows.. they will be at Smokes in the near future. If interested, I recommend you reserve your seats early

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peace Arnold@21:1/5 to Peace Arnold on Sat Sep 9 10:14:05 2023
    On Saturday, September 9, 2023 at 11:00:01 AM UTC-4, Peace Arnold wrote:
    Aaron Scott is with the Billy Harper Quintet. Playing this weekend, September 8, 9, & 10 (2023) at Dizzy’s Jazz Club, in NYC. Not sure there are any seats left for these shows.. they will be at Smoke in the near future. If interested, I recommend you
    reserve your seats early

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05