• Who wrote City Of New Orleans

From folkslinger@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 30 11:08:17 2018
    Steve Goodman wrote City of New Orleans. Period. He did sing it for me in Chicago one night, and I recorded it soon after. I sang the song for John Denver after we'd recorded but not yet released the record. John Denver's version came out soon afterward,
    with his name as a co-writer. I was stunned and pissed off. It turns out that it was not John Denver but his management that added John as a writer. I met with John some time later and read him the riot act regarding his name being used in that way (not
    unusual in the music business). To his great credit, John immediately had his name removed. I don't know even he even noticed it was there in the first place. But, I impressed upon him that it was his responsibility to make it right. And he did. Good
    story all; the way around.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Arlo Guthrie@21:1/5 to Karyn Brooks on Tue Jan 1 06:27:06 2019
    On Thursday, December 1, 1994 at 11:29:31 PM UTC-5, Karyn Brooks wrote:
    Steve Goodman?
    lyrics anyone?
    than you

Steve Goodman wrote City of New Orleans. Period. He did sing it for me in Chicago one night, and I recorded it soon after. I sang the song for John Denver after we'd recorded but not yet released the record. John Denver's version came out soon afterward,
    with his name as a co-writer. I was stunned and pissed off. It turns out that it was not John Denver but his management that added John as a writer. I met with John some time later and read him the riot act regarding his name being used in that way (not
    unusual in the music business). To his great credit, John immediately had his name removed. I don't know that he even noticed it was there in the first place. But, I impressed upon him that it was his responsibility to make it right. And he did. Good

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Arlo Guthrie@21:1/5 to Karyn Brooks on Tue Jan 1 06:24:35 2019
    Steve Goodman?
    lyrics anyone?
    than you

unusual in the music business). To his great credit, John immediately had his name removed. I don't know that he even noticed it was there in the first place. But, I impressed upon him that it was his responsibility to make it right. And he did. Good

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From caseyjones24@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Arlo Guthrie on Wed Jul 1 09:16:17 2020
    On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 2:44:36 PM UTC, Arlo Guthrie wrote:
    Steve Goodman?
    lyrics anyone?
    than you

Steve Goodman wrote City of New Orleans. Period. He did sing it for me in Chicago one night, and I recorded it soon after. I sang the song for John Denver after we'd recorded but not yet released the record. John Denver's version came out soon
    afterward, with his name as a co-writer. I was stunned and pissed off. It turns out that it was not John Denver but his management that added John as a writer. I met with John some time later and read him the riot act regarding his name being used in
    that way (not unusual in the music business). To his great credit, John immediately had his name removed. I don't know that he even noticed it was there in the first place. But, I impressed upon him that it was his responsibility to make it right. And he
    did. Good story all; the way around.

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 2:44:36 PM UTC, Arlo Guthrie wrote:
    Steve Goodman?
    lyrics anyone?
    than you

Steve Goodman wrote City of New Orleans. Period. He did sing it for me in Chicago one night, and I recorded it soon after. I sang the song for John Denver after we'd recorded but not yet released the record. John Denver's version came out soon
    afterward, with his name as a co-writer. I was stunned and pissed off. It turns out that it was not John Denver but his management that added John as a writer. I met with John some time later and read him the riot act regarding his name being used in
    that way (not unusual in the music business). To his great credit, John immediately had his name removed. I don't know that he even noticed it was there in the first place. But, I impressed upon him that it was his responsibility to make it right. And he
    did. Good story all; the way around.

What more could you ask for: Copyright records and a personal statement from Arlo Guthrie. Job sorted. BTW< I think Willie's is the best version, too. Sorry, Arlo- you ran him a very close second! from Casey in the U.K. where we have Country Music
    fans too.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05