• Origin of "Barges"

From wilmalessman@gmail.com@21:1/5 to ThDanks on Fri Nov 23 06:17:55 2018
    On Wednesday, October 21, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, ThDanks wrote:
    Does anyone know the origin of the song "Barges"? It has been sung by Girl Scouts for generations, and printed in various Girl Scout songbooks back into the 1930s, always attributed to "Traditional". Recently, a Girl Scout friend said she sang it with Girl Guides 30-40 years ago in England. Can anyone give it a more complete history? Thanks.

Theresa Danks

"Life is a symphony; play your part." -- Steve Schuch

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From wilmalessman@gmail.com@21:1/5 to ThDanks on Fri Nov 23 06:20:28 2018
    On Wednesday, October 21, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, ThDanks wrote:
    Does anyone know the origin of the song "Barges"? It has been sung by Girl Scouts for generations, and printed in various Girl Scout songbooks back into the 1930s, always attributed to "Traditional". Recently, a Girl Scout friend said she sang it with Girl Guides 30-40 years ago in England. Can anyone give it a more complete history? Thanks.

Theresa Danks

I'm rather disappointed to see that this song wasn't necessarily written here in Louisville KY!! The ill child dying in a hospital is the same in all the stories but the location seems to be different. I always believed that the barges were the ones on
    the Ohio River as they pass through.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From acallowa@umd.edu@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 3 18:29:39 2019
    reading through the posts, what strikes me is how universal the song is. Anyone can recognize a place where barges pass, and relate to it as their own location. I also find it intriguing that the legend about a sick girl/woman is also fairly universal,
    especially with the respect to humming the last verse as a way of honoring this person's memory.

And to the running light issue, from the very brief research I found, running lights of red and green are documented as far back as 1848 when the Lord High Admiral (British) published regulations requiring this combination of lights.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From nbakerkrofft@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 7 10:35:48 2019
    You are right...not an adult, a child.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From nbakerkrofft@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 7 10:35:01 2019
    I heard that in the 60s at camp.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kasskohrmann@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jan 11 22:37:51 2020
    Sang it in scouts in Wyoming in the 80s with much love.

We were told it was written by an old lady and after she died, the music was found on her piano the next day.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Lyzette Celestite@21:1/5 to kassko...@gmail.com on Wed Sep 22 13:13:27 2021
    On Saturday, January 11, 2020 at 10:37:52 PM UTC-8, kassko...@gmail.com wrote:

We were told it was written by an old lady and after she died, the music was found on her piano the next day.

I was told by my elementary school music teacher that the song (or at least the lyrics) was written by a little girl who died of cancer. The little girl was said to love watching the barges on the Columbia River (so she would have lived in Oregon or
    Washington if this was true). There are some Portland hospitals near the Columbia river, there are probably some in Vancouver as well (and other smaller cities and towns in both states). It is certainly true that barges travel the Columbia River and do
    go out to sea directly from it. One commenter was confused by the red and green lights for port and starboard; these lights function as turn signal lights at night. While that isn't as urgent at sea, it is extremely important to know which way a vessel
    is turning in a river. I don't think a barge could actually make a full turn in the Columbia River (I doubt it's wide enough), but those running lights would still be required. Perhaps they could or do use those lights to indicate on which side they
    intend to pass another vessel (another extremely important thing to know). The song was especially memorable to me because I've always believed she lived in the area where I grew up. Whatever the real story is, it's a pretty little song.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Theresa Danks@21:1/5 to Lyzette Celestite on Mon Sep 27 08:41:08 2021
    On Wednesday, September 22, 2021 at 4:13:28 PM UTC-4, Lyzette Celestite wrote:
    On Saturday, January 11, 2020 at 10:37:52 PM UTC-8, kassko...@gmail.com wrote:

I was told by my elementary school music teacher that the song (or at least the lyrics) was written by a little girl who died of cancer. The little girl was said to love watching the barges on the Columbia River (so she would have lived in Oregon or
    Washington if this was true). There are some Portland hospitals near the Columbia river, there are probably some in Vancouver as well (and other smaller cities and towns in both states). It is certainly true that barges travel the Columbia River and do
    go out to sea directly from it. One commenter was confused by the red and green lights for port and starboard; these lights function as turn signal lights at night. While that isn't as urgent at sea, it is extremely important to know which way a vessel
    is turning in a river. I don't think a barge could actually make a full turn in the Columbia River (I doubt it's wide enough), but those running lights would still be required. Perhaps they could or do use those lights to indicate on which side they
    intend to pass another vessel (another extremely important thing to know). The song was especially memorable to me because I've always believed she lived in the area where I grew up. Whatever the real story is, it's a pretty little song.

Hi,
    I'm impressed my post from over 2 decades ago is still active. Yes, the story of the sick girl is universal, although always moved to the location where it's being told. I wonder if it's a girl because this song is best known among Girl Scouts and Guides.
    As to the lights, they're not turn signals such as on a car, which are only on when signaling a turn, but on all the time at night so other traffic can tell which way a vessel is moving. In the days before radios, other signals would be shown or sounded
    to signal intention to change course, but the running lights or sidelights are always shown at night. In the past 20 years, I've also learned to sail tall ships in busy harbors, so knowing about things like running lights has become important. In fact I "
    borrowed" the tune of Barges to write a song about what I've learned, including that the red and green lights are masked so that they're only seen from directly ahead and to the side (22.5 degrees abaft the beam, to be exact.) So you can only see both
    red and green lights on a vessel from one viewpoint. "Starboard shines green and port is glowing red. Hey, Cap, that barge is dead ahead!"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Angie Owen@21:1/5 to ThDanks on Tue Mar 7 13:32:55 2023
    On Wednesday, October 21, 1998 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, ThDanks wrote:
    Theresa Danks

In 1966, as a Brownie Girl Scout, I was told it was written by a Girl Scout who was terminally ill. She had a bedroom which overlooked a river used by barges.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Angie Owen@21:1/5 to ThDanks on Tue Mar 7 13:30:15 2023
    On Wednesday, October 21, 1998 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, ThDanks wrote:
    Theresa Danks

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From docdwarf@panix.com@21:1/5 to angieowen90@gmail.com on Wed Mar 8 03:22:36 2023
    In article <db664658-b726-4447-9cc6-a195d45c234fn@googlegroups.com>,
    Angie Owen <angieowen90@gmail.com> wrote:
    On Wednesday, October 21, 1998 at 2:00:00???AM UTC-5, ThDanks wrote:
    Does anyone know the origin of the song "Barges"? It has been sung by Girl >> Scouts for generations, and printed in various Girl Scout songbooks back into
    the 1930s, always attributed to "Traditional". Recently, a Girl Scout friend >> said she sang it with Girl Guides 30-40 years ago in England. Can anyone give
    it a more complete history? Thanks.
    Theresa Danks

In 1966, as a Brownie Girl Scout, I was told it was written by a Girl
    Scout who was terminally ill. She had a bedroom which overlooked a
    river used by barges.

Curious. The original post here is dated Wednesday, October 21, 1998.

https://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=7081 shows a similar inquiry dated
    18 Oct 98. Nigh twenty-five years, all of the web-connected resources and still... nobody knows.

DD

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05