• Tim Buckley, Steve Noonan, Jackson Browne

From downwithtyranny@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Walter Hellman on Sun May 3 19:37:57 2020
    On Saturday, October 14, 1995 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Walter Hellman wrote:
    I was riding along yesterday listening to a tape I'd made from a
    Tim Buckely album I have..."Goodbye and Hello" was the song. This epic (about 10 minutes I think) is one of the best reflections giving a feel
    of the 60's I know. His was an amazing voice. His later jazz oriented material was also amazing..."Chase the Blues Away" being a prime example
    for me.
    Anyway, all this brought back college memories of a very special informal concert which was given in a dorm lounge at SUNY Stony Brook, probably about 1968. This is where I was at school and they announced somehow that 3 California singer-songwriters would be at the school and playing in the dorm lounge. As I remember, there was very little
    publicity because hardly anyone had ever heard of them.
    It turns out they were Tim Buckley, Steve Noonan and Jackson
    Browne. The whole thing was totally informal. They just had a chair set
    up amongst all the sofas, etc. I don't know if this was my introduction
    to Buckley, but I know it was for Browne and Noonan.
    I wish I could remember more about the concert itself. One thing
    that stuck out was that Buckley sung an (even then) old Johnny Cash song called Give My Love To Rose. I remember how odd that was.
    A couple of questions:

I later got a Steve Noonan album and have always enjoyed that
    music. Does anyone know what happened to him?

Was anyone on this list at that Stony Brook performance? Did the
    three of them play elsewhere?

Walter Hellman

--
    hellman@teleport.com Internet Public Access User Hillsboro, Oregon USA

yes, I met them at a Velvet Underground show at the Dom and brought them back to Stony Brook.

-Howie Klein

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Andrew Winters@21:1/5 to downwit...@gmail.com on Sat Dec 24 14:35:47 2022
    On Sunday, May 3, 2020 at 8:37:59 PM UTC-6, downwit...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Saturday, October 14, 1995 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Walter Hellman wrote:
    I was riding along yesterday listening to a tape I'd made from a
    Tim Buckely album I have..."Goodbye and Hello" was the song. This epic (about 10 minutes I think) is one of the best reflections giving a feel
    of the 60's I know. His was an amazing voice. His later jazz oriented material was also amazing..."Chase the Blues Away" being a prime example for me.
    Anyway, all this brought back college memories of a very special
    informal concert which was given in a dorm lounge at SUNY Stony Brook, probably about 1968. This is where I was at school and they announced somehow that 3 California singer-songwriters would be at the school and playing in the dorm lounge. As I remember, there was very little
    publicity because hardly anyone had ever heard of them.
    It turns out they were Tim Buckley, Steve Noonan and Jackson
    Browne. The whole thing was totally informal. They just had a chair set
    up amongst all the sofas, etc. I don't know if this was my introduction
    to Buckley, but I know it was for Browne and Noonan.
    I wish I could remember more about the concert itself. One thing
    that stuck out was that Buckley sung an (even then) old Johnny Cash song called Give My Love To Rose. I remember how odd that was.
    A couple of questions:

I later got a Steve Noonan album and have always enjoyed that
    music. Does anyone know what happened to him?

Was anyone on this list at that Stony Brook performance? Did the
    three of them play elsewhere?

Walter Hellman

--
    hel...@teleport.com Internet Public Access User Hillsboro, Oregon USA
    yes, I met them at a Velvet Underground show at the Dom and brought them back to Stony Brook.

-Howie Klein
    They stayed at our house on Bennett's Road in Setauket and I was at that concert too. They were friends of John Wiesenthal who was one of our housemates. It was a house full of creativity, music, good vibes, not so good vibes, LSD, weed, hash, beer and
    you name it. I lived there starting around January or February 1967. Even though I was in high school, I still made the grade because I was a finger-picker and knew plenty. Anyway, it was out of this mad scene that the band that was first called the Soft
    White Underbelly, emerged. I played bass and I invited my high school best friend, Donald Roeser, to sit in at a night long jam session. We played songs by David Roter and we indulged in a lot of free-form improvisational music. The Underbelly moved to
    St. James and then to Great Neck. The band's name became the Stalk Forrest Group and, after the drummer hatched a plot to replace me with his brother, they used another name and achieved a modicum of success.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)