• The ideal Zerbinetta

From ggggg9271@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Slrdsyj on Mon Oct 12 13:05:49 2020
    On Sunday, August 3, 2003 at 4:11:39 PM UTC-7, Slrdsyj wrote:
    Date: 8/1/03 6:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time
    Message-id: <MBBWa.21986$5O3.19841@fe03.atl2.webusenet.com>

The Ideal Zerbinetta? It's a given that she ought to be able to sing it. >Other than that, she must be adorable. And always well-behaved, and a lady. >Too bad young Goldie Hawn didn't have a coloratura voice. She would have >been ideal. My favorite Zerbinetta was Cecily Nall, who sang it in >Charleston in 1984. At the time, I wrote, " The Zerbinetta was Cecily Nall. >In 30 years of hearing Zerbinettas, live and recorded, I don't think I've >heard a better one. Ms. Nall is small and good-looking, as Zerbinettas have >to be, but she's not your average uppity little dancing girl. Her >Zerbinetta is amusing but not silly, adorable without ever being coy. You >could take her home to Mother without feeling she'd embarrass you. She sang >the daylights out of the role. Ms. Nall's voice is a high, light, liquid >instrument of canary-like size and quality. She tossed off the dizzying >coloratura passages with machine-gun precision, trills and all, and she made >it all sound like she was having the time of her life doing it. The high >E-naturals rang like bells. I hope she resists the temptation to make her >voice bigger and more ordinary, but that's a temptation she will have to >face sometime in the future. As far as I'm concerned, right now she's a >Star."

Whatever happened to Cecily Nall?

Cecily Nall playing Zerbinetta sounds like something worth seeing and hearing.

As for the ideal Zerbinetta - adorable, always well-behaved, and a lady, there are some singers who come to mind as fitting the bill (dream casting):

- Ana Maria Martinez
    - Inva Mula
    - Patricia Petibon
    - Madeline Bender (sp?)
    - Natalie Dessay
    - Elizabeth Futral
    - Edita Gruberova (except that she might be a bit up in years for this role.)

(Recent Youtube upload):

Ilse Hollweg "Großmächtige Prinzessin" Ariadne auf Naxos

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)