• Re: Request for comments on M-E-A of old

From Sudhir with Mr Bhaloo@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 14 07:10:15 2021
    1 I had posted very long write-up on this. The URL is

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.music.indian.misc/c/Sau5k5ESLdQ/m/mYgmX41uCwAJ

2 Add notes on it being in Color and NOT Colorized were added today

3 For your other post on MEG's Censor's Certificate, I posted a message today at URL

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.music.indian.misc/c/jKXaaLlSK94/m/Hj5EEkNagrcJ

4 ADDl NOTES on Subject matter of THIS THREAD

A: Myself, my parents and sibling saw this film together in 1960 at PRAKASH Talkies,
    Amritsar (I was 14 years then and so a 'Bazurg' now). I saw it 2 more times (Climax in
    Color and 'Ab Do Naye Gaano Ke Saath).

My parents and other family members had migrated from Peshawar, so were quite familiar
    with URDU language (in fact, my father could write ONLY in URDU) and had and still have
    high regard for it and consider it an Indian language. However, meaning of some dilogues
    neede explanation from my father: (eg: Talkhiya and many more) The film was HIGHLY
    appreciated by every one (NO Exception)

B: THE NEXT FEW LINES COULD ONLY HAVE BEEN WRITTEN FROM SOMEONE
    FROM MY CITY (ie: AMRITSAR)

Mughal-e-Azam was eargerly awaited by everyone in Pakistan (more so, for
    people living in LAHORE. The city has a very famous shopping area named
    after, the main character of this film: ANARKALI

There was a daily Train Service (only 1 trip / day) between Amritsar and Lahore
    and back (they are only 36 miles away)

After few weeks of screening, when tickets became easily available, Train-Load of
    'Filmi Majnus' with or without family will arrive from Lahore >>> Watch MUGHAL-E-
    AZAM featuring khatoon: Anarkali >>> Sleep at or near railway station and then
    >>> board the next day train back home. Almost all of them carried back 'lot of
    bananas' Luckily the cinema hall screening MEA was just opposite to Train Station
    (150 or so meters distance) so it made life easier for them ////// 3 Years later, we
    the MEA - Exposed family, too cought the same train and visited LAHORE and
    ofcource the ANARKALI Bazaar

SUDHIR /// Nov 14 2021

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Sudhir with Mr Bhaloo@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 14 07:39:38 2021
    4AA Most films had posters in 2 sizes. Small one (around 16 x 12 inch H x W)
    and a BIG one, which was made from 3 Across x 2 Up of same size panels
    as the Smaller one (ie all 1 and 6 panels were printed by Ofset Press,
    using the same size of paper)

Asif Saheb got a 4 times bigger poster (ie 24 panels), which had Shahzada
    Salim in the front and Shehenshah Akbar in the back. Both are in full battle
    costume. Film scene had a memorable dialogue: 'Baadshah Roya Nahin Karte'

Bigger and sturdier frames were erected at visibility points. In Amritsar, it was
    on top of a Railway Bridge.

+++++++++

Another words / dialogues which caught everyone's attention was

'Ba Awaaz-e-Buland Pada Jaye' // Koshish Nahin, Taameel Hogi.
    Ise Azaad Kar Diya Jaye

and the way Prthviraj delivered it. Kids as young as 10 years old, adopted this
    delivery style

NO FILM, PRIOR to MEA or even after that, had such 'HIT on the Head' dialogues

SUDHIR // Nov 14 2021

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)