• Re: QUESTION: Mughal e Azam

From Sudhir with Mr Bhaloo@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 14 06:14:40 2021
    I happened to read this post (including one by myself) and was quite disturbed
    by the termenology used by some to describe the color film (mostly related to
    MUGHAL-E-AZAM) but applicable to few earler film.

1 The term: Colorization is referred to: Adding color with paint brush to a B&W positive
    print. It is highly time consuming and expensive. Few Hollywood movies were
    colorized this way (eg: Laurel & Hardy 2-3 films). When proposed for other films,
    the directors (or their heirs) strongly objected and COLORIZATION became a
    Dead Cat

By beginning of this decade, computer-aided colorization could be done at a
    low cost and few films were converted (Naya Daur and this film) Luckily
    this CAT is in sleeping mode

In short, Mughal-E-Azam scenes were NOT COLORIZED, but were Re-Shot
    The negative were probably of Eastman color (Hum Hindustani 1960 release
    was being shot and printed during that period, Color Centre had a well equipped
    processing facility and had done good job on few COLOR films, which were shot
    and printed in GEVACOLOR (eg: Filmistan's Durgesh Nandini, Champakali and
    Wadia Bros's Hatim Tai + probably Mother India and Navrang was shot on
    Gevacolor) Gevacolor prints faded over short period. So, like prior 2 mentioned
    films, Mr. Asif got the Release prints made by TECHNICOLOR Lab of London

Initially only: Pyar Kiya To Darna Kya and Yeh Dil Ki Lagi Kum Kya Hogi were
    released with Technicolor print in many markets (and may be the follow-up
    of 2nd song: Khuda Nigehban Ho Tumhara in few markets)

The Climax was in BHOOT COLOR (aka: B&W). Many viewers did not like
    the implied 'End of Life' penalty for Anarkali (NO NO ... It was NOT Anarkali,
    but was bestowed on Madhubala. Certainly an un-acceptable ending). Asif Saheb
    relented >>>> (a) Had the Climax Re-written >>> (b) Erect a Low cost set
    of Akbar's fort and tunnel and >>> (C) Re-shot the climax in color and also
    get the Release Prints made on EastmanColor stock (Color quality is bad
    and certainly NO way near the one printed by Technicolor dream-wala bhaiya ji)

2 My 3-disk VCD set by Shemaroo got scratchy. I found the FULL Movie at YouTube
    up-loaded by Classic Cinema in Sept 2020 (Not Listed now). It's Run-Time is
    197:05 min (excluding Censor's Cert) Aspect 1.33x at 24 fps

But, the Censor's Certificate at CB site is only 5088.03 meter = 185:28 minutes

The 11:37 min difference may be due to addition of 2 songs and change in run-time of
    climax.

SUDHIR Nov 14 2021

p.s.: I am still waiting for an answer to my question:

Q: Was the song: 'TERI MEHFIL MEIN; in color, when the film was released initially ?

NOTE: Song 'KHUDA NIGHEBAN HO TUMHARA' in B&W was in soe VHS tapes, which
    were made in UAE and some cases have a running Ad, listing name of Tape mfrer

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Sukesh Hoogan@21:1/5 to Sudhir with Mr Bhaloo on Fri Dec 24 04:40:56 2021
    On Sunday, November 14, 2021 at 7:44:42 PM UTC+5:30, Sudhir with Mr Bhaloo wrote:
    I happened to read this post (including one by myself) and was quite disturbed
    by the termenology used by some to describe the color film (mostly related to MUGHAL-E-AZAM) but applicable to few earler film.

1 The term: Colorization is referred to: Adding color with paint brush to a B&W positive
    print. It is highly time consuming and expensive. Few Hollywood movies were colorized this way (eg: Laurel & Hardy 2-3 films). When proposed for other films,
    the directors (or their heirs) strongly objected and COLORIZATION became a Dead Cat

By beginning of this decade, computer-aided colorization could be done at a low cost and few films were converted (Naya Daur and this film) Luckily
    this CAT is in sleeping mode

In short, Mughal-E-Azam scenes were NOT COLORIZED, but were Re-Shot
    The negative were probably of Eastman color (Hum Hindustani 1960 release
    was being shot and printed during that period, Color Centre had a well equipped
    processing facility and had done good job on few COLOR films, which were shot and printed in GEVACOLOR (eg: Filmistan's Durgesh Nandini, Champakali and Wadia Bros's Hatim Tai + probably Mother India and Navrang was shot on Gevacolor) Gevacolor prints faded over short period. So, like prior 2 mentioned
    films, Mr. Asif got the Release prints made by TECHNICOLOR Lab of London

Initially only: Pyar Kiya To Darna Kya and Yeh Dil Ki Lagi Kum Kya Hogi were released with Technicolor print in many markets (and may be the follow-up
    of 2nd song: Khuda Nigehban Ho Tumhara in few markets)

The Climax was in BHOOT COLOR (aka: B&W). Many viewers did not like
    the implied 'End of Life' penalty for Anarkali (NO NO ... It was NOT Anarkali,
    but was bestowed on Madhubala. Certainly an un-acceptable ending). Asif Saheb relented >>>> (a) Had the Climax Re-written >>> (b) Erect a Low cost set
    of Akbar's fort and tunnel and >>> (C) Re-shot the climax in color and also get the Release Prints made on EastmanColor stock (Color quality is bad
    and certainly NO way near the one printed by Technicolor dream-wala bhaiya ji)

2 My 3-disk VCD set by Shemaroo got scratchy. I found the FULL Movie at YouTube
    up-loaded by Classic Cinema in Sept 2020 (Not Listed now). It's Run-Time is 197:05 min (excluding Censor's Cert) Aspect 1.33x at 24 fps

But, the Censor's Certificate at CB site is only 5088.03 meter = 185:28 minutes

The 11:37 min difference may be due to addition of 2 songs and change in run-time of
    climax.

SUDHIR Nov 14 2021

p.s.: I am still waiting for an answer to my question:

Q: Was the song: 'TERI MEHFIL MEIN; in color, when the film was released initially ?

NOTE: Song 'KHUDA NIGHEBAN HO TUMHARA' in B&W was in soe VHS tapes, which were made in UAE and some cases have a running Ad, listing name of Tape mfrer

AFIK, no
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSyIF_xWwao

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Salman Khan Gurung@21:1/5 to COLLinda on Tue Oct 24 03:08:29 2023
    On Tuesday, April 4, 1995 at 12:45:00 PM UTC+5:45, COLLinda wrote:
    I think Mughal-e-Azam was on TV here in Chicago last night -- the first
    hour, anyway. The credits said it starred Prithviraj. Is this Prithviraj Kapoor, the father of Raj, Shashi and Shammi? And who played the Prince?

Dilip Kumar (Yusuf Khan) played the character Prince Salim

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05