• Raag - Ab ke hum bichhade to.. (crosspost)

From deepak.hole08@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Manish Hatwalne on Wed Jul 8 00:23:01 2020
    On Tuesday, July 13, 2004 at 12:58:33 AM UTC+5:30, Manish Hatwalne wrote:
    The reason I am looking for the "raga" because I have heard another Marathi song which sounds similar, so I was wondering if it is based on some common "raga". Besides, I agree with what Deepak said; there could be other reasons applicable as well for finding the raga. One reason is identifying the patterns of your own likes. Over the years I have realized that I like wind instruments (flute, sax etc) more than string instruments (guitar...). IMHO, the whole search identifying this is very enjoyable.

Likewise, one can enjoy a song even if he does not know singer, film, year
    of release etc, but knowing it adds up to your knowledge, gives you better understanding and broader perspective (I never knew the Mehadi Hasan story that debjoy mentioned, it was great reading this) about the whole song. Just my thoughts...

TIA,
    - Manish

"Birbal" <birbal@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:e64647f9.0407120947.74e3cbfc@posting.google.com...
    "Manish Hatwalne" <dontspam_manish@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:<2lepfpFbqq6aU1@uni-berlin.de>...
    Can somebody tell me in which "raaga" this ghazal - 'Ab ke hum bichhade
    to
    kabhi khwabon me mile...' by Mehadi Hassan has been sung?

- Manish

Dr. Vasantrao Deshpande, the great classical vocalist, had said in an interview (which i have in audio form) that it would be wrong for us
    to look for a Raag in the Natyasangeet, because they are not designed
    or expected to follow a single Raag. They are created for a certain situation and that is all we need to look for it.

I think the same applies it Ghazals and Film Songs. IMHO it would be a complete waste of time trying to identify what Raag a song belongs to,
    if any. On top of that, knowing this only adds to the junk of factual
    data in one's brain and does not enhance the listening experience in
    any way. (in very much the same way knowing grammar does not enhance
    one's experience of reading poetry).

is that Malvun tak deep petaun aang ang
    rajasa kiti disat labhala niwan sang ?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)