• Your thoughts on musical improvisation

From goldenarcher@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Stephen Lavele on Sun Dec 11 14:33:05 2016
    Stephen, contact me as soon as possible at goldenarcher@gmail.com. I am sure you still remember me ;-)

On Saturday, June 16, 2001 at 2:51:06 AM UTC+5:30, Stephen Lavele wrote:
    hi
    I think that the most difficult thing to do when improvising is to remember the themes that I played and repeat them. I came across a cool technique though, which involves recording lots of small snippits of piano improvisation and messing with them (well, more complex than just messing, but you sould get the idea), and then I can repeat and mix themes as much as I like.

I know that that isn't "proper" improvisation, but it can produce some amazing results (almost everyone seems to sound like a variation on one of Debussy's Arabesques, but that's down to my style). And in addition to
    that, i think that it is genuinely usefull for brainstorming melodies (just record a right-hand improv, a left-hand one, and play them back over eachother. You get a result just like a "both-hand" imrov, only it's much easier : ) ).

Sorry for getting off track, but that's how I both improvise and compose.

As for what I think of improvisation? It depends completely on the skill
    and style of the performer. Variations on themes can sound very nice, but wild scales and mad chords can, more often than not, sound very boring.

Still, it's fun for the performer, and that's all that counts : )

-Stephen Lavelle aka Adiamante aka Erde-

-Stephen-
    ----- Original Message -----
    Newsgroups: rec.music.theory,rec.music.classical,rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz,rec.music. bluenote,rec.music.makers.piano
    Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2001 2:21 AM
    Subject: Your thoughts on musical improvisation

Do you like or dislike musical groups that improvise a great deal?

Why do you like (or dislike) improvisation?

If you enjoy improvisation, how did you get into it in the first
    place?

What larger meaning does it have for your life outside of the music?

I am writing a master's thesis on the social aspects of musical improvisation, and I'd like to hear your answers to these questions.
    You can post a reply here, but I'd appreciate it if you could also
    e-mail your thoughts to improvstudy@yahoo.com. All correspondence
    will be held strictly confidential.

Thanks!
    Lawrence Lanahan
    improvstudy@yahoo.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)