• Career in Classical Piano

From boyk@performancerecordings.com@21:1/5 to Sheila Moses on Sat Jul 9 13:55:59 2016
    On Thursday, January 4, 1996 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, Sheila Moses wrote:
    My thirteen year old daughter loves playing the piano and has been taking lessons for in excess of five years, now. She seems to me to be very talented
    and others have agreed. She is currently enrolled in a School of the Arts for middle school academis and development of her talents on the keyboard.

I've given her all of the support I know how to give, but neither I nor her father really know whether we've done all we're supposed to do to ensure she has what it takes or makes the proper contacts to have a career in music. I wonder if this will be done automatically by the school's administration, or is there something more we should be doing as parents. We've invested a great
    deal of money on piano lessons, and she really seems to have a genuine interest,
    so I hope she's on the right track.

Where can she go from here? What are the opportunities in the field of classical music, or other piano music? What steps should we take to ensure she is on the right track.

If you still have a need for advice, I'd be happy to say a few words offline. James Boyk, Pianist in Residence, Caltech 1974-2004; Lecturer in Music in Electrical Engineering, Caltech, 1979-2004. Write boyk[at]caltech[dot]edu .

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From boyk@performancerecordings.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 9 13:59:11 2016
    On Wednesday, February 14, 1996 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, SKing01 wrote:
    Hello,

In at nutshell, I'm a fine player. My Chopin Etudes are as good as
    anyone's just about. I don't get to play. No one knows about me. Wish I
    had a few friends in the music world to chat about this. I hate my job in
    my accounting office. I punch a ten-key calculator its not a piano...

Well....I'm 33 and too old for the William Kapell competition. Wish I
    could be in it. Maybe I'll just have to find someone to record me and make some CDs...

How else does one get known. Maybe I'll die by the time I'm 60 if I have
    to work in an accounting office. I sure the heck won't live to a "ripe"
    old age as so many other musicians have....Horovitz included...

Scot King

Why not record some (or all) of your Chopin Études and post on YouTube?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)